Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I give up. How the gently caress do I kill my rival twice in Rival Smash? I get lucky to kill it once, considering it manages to perfectly counter everything I do.

I'm starting to get really annoyed, it's the only CD I lack and I just can't loving do it.

EDIT: Somehow I managed to win by not trying, and just letting the Miis do it for me. My rival ended up killing itself with a Smart Bomb. It's a Christmas miracle.

Blaze Dragon fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Dec 24, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

The Crotch posted:

For real, this is the most frustrating thing. I often feel that the only way to really approach someone is with an aerial attack, but it feels so punishable to me that it's not really any better than staying on the ground. I should really play more characters with projectiles I guess.

Don't blindly rush in, mind your spacing, harass with pokes and try to catch them with their pants down so you can punish. This has been Neutral 101

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
How much of the 3DS stuff is in the WiiU version, and are unlocks transferrable?

e: The WiiU version is way better unless you're in a car right?

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

Turtlicious posted:

How much of the 3DS stuff is in the WiiU version, and are unlocks transferrable?

e: The WiiU version is way better unless you're in a car right?

All the customization things, unlockable characters, Battlefield and Final Destination (although graphically improved), the same modes but with added features, same physics and button imputs.

Really the only things it doesn't have is Smash Run, the same trophies, and the stages. And apparently the online is a bit smoother on the Wii U. The main appeal of the 3DS is its portability and that, at least from my experience, more people only have the 3DS version.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
If your car has a power socket in it then the WiiU version is also the better choice for a car ride.

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

Having both versions comes in handy way more often than you might think. You have to unlock characters and stages separately in each version, but thankfully this happens really quickly even without beelining them.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

You even get Ganondorf and Bowser Jr. Roy for free, no unlock required!

Wild Knight
Mar 27, 2010

Foul villain! I do not flee. I will never turn my back on you and run away!

[he says, running away]
Having ground out a crapton of equipment through Smash Run on the 3DS version, setting up custom loadouts and porting them up has helped out a ton with stuff like events, Crazy Orders, and harder Classic runs with characters I'm not good at.

It's a small thing and not as robust as I had hoped but I think the connectivity is working well enough for me.

Water-Raccoon
Jun 15, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
So, uh, yeah, Megaman is hot garbage. Gets zoned by EVERYONE, has no close-up game, his aerials take a small eternity to come out aside from his back-air(which isn't even that unique, and if he shorthops it he gets robbed of the kill-hit), he has huge lag on ALL of his moves(even his neutral A, it's so bad that even after a combo he can be punished clean), and his B moves don't do much to help him. Metal Blade helps but it's just not enough. He has no approach options, he can't keep someone out, and he can't force someone out unless he rolls away repeated which can get punished super-hard. It's really sad with MARTH outranges him.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Theta Zero posted:

All the customization things, unlockable characters, Battlefield and Final Destination (although graphically improved), the same modes but with added features, same physics and button imputs.

Really the only things it doesn't have is Smash Run, the same trophies, and the stages. And apparently the online is a bit smoother on the Wii U. The main appeal of the 3DS is its portability and that, at least from my experience, more people only have the 3DS version.

I'm pretty sure the Wii U version has every trophy that the 3DS version has. I think the Wii U only gets the added Final Smash trophies and nothing else.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Sire Oblivion posted:

I'm pretty sure the Wii U version has every trophy that the 3DS version has. I think the Wii U only gets the added Final Smash trophies and nothing else.

The WiiU version doesn't have the Rusty trophies, which is criminal.

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!

Sire Oblivion posted:

I don't think Commander Video is in the 3DS version is he? Or Wonder Red, Zael, or the stars of Fatal Frame 2.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Sire Oblivion posted:

The WiiU version actually has a bunch of trophies the 3DS version doesn't have (The Wonderful 101, a bunch of Xenoblade trophies, CommanderVideo, Ridley, a lot more), and vice-versa (a bunch of Smash Run enemies) so I don't know where the hell you got this idea. It also has a lot of the 3DS trophies but not all of them.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Water-Raccoon posted:

So, uh, yeah, Megaman is hot garbage. Gets zoned by EVERYONE, has no close-up game, his aerials take a small eternity to come out aside from his back-air(which isn't even that unique, and if he shorthops it he gets robbed of the kill-hit), he has huge lag on ALL of his moves(even his neutral A, it's so bad that even after a combo he can be punished clean), and his B moves don't do much to help him. Metal Blade helps but it's just not enough. He has no approach options, he can't keep someone out, and he can't force someone out unless he rolls away repeated which can get punished super-hard. It's really sad with MARTH outranges him.

Megaman is actually really good in good hands and a pain in the rear end to fight

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Water-Raccoon posted:

Marth will trade Megaman's range for his good fair back, that fucker stole it.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Is "hot garbage" the new buzzword that's been floating around SA?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Echo Chamber posted:

I certainly wouldn't call it "new", but yeah, its a buzzword. A fairly evocative one at that.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Echo Chamber posted:

Do you think 'hot garbage' is hot garbage, fellow Echo?

I am super hype to train my new Peach Amiibo. I think I'll go with either the fire flower look or the more obvious Daisy.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Man, gently caress the single player on this, Classic is entirely luck based.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

TheKingofSprings posted:

Man, gently caress the single player on this, Classic is entirely luck based.

I always felt the issue with Classic isn't that it's luck based, I never really felt that way even on 9.0. My issue is that it just doesn't know when to stop. That little shadow maze at the end of Classic just goes on and on, and it doesn't help that the enemies shoot through walls offscreen and the insta-death lava walls ripped from the Great Cave Offensive are paper-thin and nearly impossible to notice until you've already started ricocheting like a pinball after hitting one, usually into another one.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind

Theta Zero posted:

I always felt the issue with Classic isn't that it's luck based, I never really felt that way even on 9.0. My issue is that it just doesn't know when to stop. That little shadow maze at the end of Classic just goes on and on, and it doesn't help that the enemies shoot through walls offscreen and the insta-death lava walls ripped from the Great Cave Offensive are paper-thin and nearly impossible to notice until you've already started ricocheting like a pinball after hitting one, usually into another one.

I've been trying to get beat it on 8.0~9.0 for a while now (using Link, et al.) and this is pretty much how I feel about it. I can only really go for it two or three times in a session before I am discouraged to have to put up with all the bullshit that can happen, even if a lot of it is mostly my own fault. I'm making progress, and I can feel myself getting there soon. But it's not something you can really grind at for hours without wanting to gouge your eyeballs out.

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Theta Zero posted:

this does not soound fun, or rather this does not sound like good game design...

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

bef posted:

this does not soound fun, or rather this does not sound like good game design...

It is not. This also applies to any of the multi man events as well.

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
Back in the Brawl days, was anyone a big enough sperg to do the Subspace boss rush mode on Intense? (I was)

Because that was easily the hardest challenge that game offered and it felt pretty fair throughout. A couple bosses had a cheap attack or two but for the most part it was always your own drat fault if you lost. I'm sure it's mostly your fault whenever you lose Classic 9.0 but it seems the odds are disproportionately against you.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Theta Zero posted:

I don't even know what any of this means because I suck at this game and can barely beat 6.0.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

enojy posted:

I don't even know what any of this means because I suck at this game and can barely beat 6.0.

I wouldn't feel too bad. Beating the Master Whatever bosses at high difficulty is an exercise in min-maxing custom characters, learning boss patterns, and finding one aerial to spam. It's nothing like playing against other fighters at all. It's pretty much as different from Smashing as Home Run Contest or something.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I've found that Classic (and Events) don't test your skill as a fighter, but as a RPG player. Your equipment ends up mattering a lot more than your actual skill. Skill still is important because Master Core is a pain (though by this point, entirely because of constant losing, I've gotten accustomed to its patterns, only Fortress trips me up), but I found that without equipment (or at least, specific equipment) I couldn't go beyond 6.5 with my best character, now I've beaten 8.0 with three and am finding 7.0 with the rest extremely easy (said rest usually didn't go beyond 5.5)

I still do miss 3DS' Classic Mode though, it was better than the Wii U's. Oh well. Also Master Fortress can burn in Hell.

pissdude
Jul 15, 2003

(and can't post for 6 years!)

Water-Raccoon posted:

Everyone shits on Megaman but actually he loving rules.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8NRQHu23TU8

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
Man little Mac is pretty frustrating to play against. It's a struggle to get back to the ground, and since 80% of his moves have super armor it's hard to do anything in the air. The best success I've had is to just throw him, and never stop throwing him, because it's pointless to pretend I have the reaction time to play footsie with a good one on the ground.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Sudden Javelin posted:

Back in the Brawl days, was anyone a big enough sperg to do the Subspace boss rush mode on Intense? (I was)

Because that was easily the hardest challenge that game offered and it felt pretty fair throughout. A couple bosses had a cheap attack or two but for the most part it was always your own drat fault if you lost.

Yeah the Boss Battles on Intense was very fair, because it was all about just being good at playing against video game bosses. Basically, just knowing the patterns and recognizing the lengthy startup of their moves and reacting accordingly, being patient and not blindly rushing in. The only bullshit thing was Tabuu, because of this 3 rings that would instakill if you made a tiny mistake in timing even if you know how to dodge it, making you have to repeat everything all over. But even that wasn't really so bad since it was always the same timing. So all in all, pretty fair and not that bad.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

NTT posted:

Man little Mac is pretty frustrating to play against. It's a struggle to get back to the ground, and since 80% of his moves have super armor it's hard to do anything in the air. The best success I've had is to just throw him, and never stop throwing him, because it's pointless to pretend I have the reaction time to play footsie with a good one on the ground.

He has one of, if not the worst recovery in the game and his air abilities are terrible. Get him in the air or off the stage and he's done.

Siselmo
Jun 16, 2013

hey there

enojy posted:

Whaaaa!? The only times I've beaten classic beyond 4.0 have been the ones where I use my mains (Mr. Game & Watch, Duck Hunt and Peach). I think my best has been 4.5 and I thought it was hellishly hard :magical:

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

A tip from those who can't win on higher Classic modes from a person who can't go beyond 6.5 with his best character normally: Ganondorf, quick smash attacks, lifesteal, tons of defense. In fact, that combination works really well as a whole to get through hard situations, I fully recommend it.

Master Core will depend on your own skill though. Just keep trying, it took me a bunch of tries but I've memorized its patterns through repetition. Now 7.0 feels really easy to me.

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

Just got this a couple days ago and enjoying it a lot so far.

1 problem I've noticed though is Villager is totally countered by Pit's shield. Even Villager's left/right smash and running+A moves count as projectiles and will hit him back. You can also counter the tree. Just hold down+B as Pit and Villager will kill himself for you.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Sub Harrison posted:

Just got this a couple days ago and enjoying it a lot so far.

1 problem I've noticed though is Villager is totally countered by Pit's shield. Even Villager's left/right smash and running+A moves count as projectiles and will hit him back. You can also counter the tree. Just hold down+B as Pit and Villager will kill himself for you.

Intersperse some grabs into that projectile spam chum

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

i can beat 7.0 with nary a problem or using a custom moveset with everyone so far. I set it to 7.5 so I have one do-over without going below the 7.0 challenge requirement. I still haven't beat 9.0, but yeah, I think i've gotten pretty good at fighting master core, aside the fortress.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
I managed to clear 9.0 with a custom Ike that had lifesteal, quick smashes, and high defense. Took about five attempts to finally get it. That being said, I have no idea how I'm supposed to do the same with Marth.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Mercury Crusader posted:

I managed to clear 9.0 with a custom Ike that had lifesteal, quick smashes, and high defense. Took about five attempts to finally get it. That being said, I have no idea how I'm supposed to do the same with Marth.

It's called a hammer

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I had my amiibos fighting to the death for fun and profit. Luigi broke a smash ball and sucked up like 5 dudes and shot them all out... then kept on shooting. He just got locked into the firing animation and smoke was the only thing being launched. The other amiibo fighters (and the respawn ones) continued to fight while he was doing this, and eventually the entire system crashed.

Thanks Luigi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Thanks Luigi.

• Locked thread