Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Kanos posted:

She shoved the Winning's beam rifle into the launcher, not just a random part, so presumably it just boosts already existing beam rifles and such. As for Fumina's upgrade, I think it pretty much has to be along those lines. I don't really see a point to that entire scene if Fumina's big takeaway revelation wasn't "Wait, maybe I should actually build a gunpla that can fight instead of a literal parts dispenser for my teammates", because there's pretty much no other lesson to be learned from that fight.

I know, that is why I said "if it counts as a beam." But it isn't particularly improving Yuu's giant sniper rifle so much as just shooting the same beam regardless of what quality of beam rifle is shoved in there, or so it seems.

That is the lesson I took from it but I saw someone elsewhere comment that what they thought it meant is that Fumina realized that she needs her friends to succeed and her looking down and going "Yu, Sekai... oh!" was her realizing that. I don't buy it but BF has done things I find incomprehensible before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

junopsis posted:

I kinda think the last person on the Meijin's team might actually be Sei. I mean, they're bringing back enough characters, so unless the show is just going to deliberately leave out all our previous protagonists, it would be the best thing.

Also, I still want the turn-∀-meijin. *pout*

I feel like it's probably that mysterious girl at the end of the episode because that'd fall in line with the other Try members getting help from his team.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

ImpAtom posted:

I know, that is why I said "if it counts as a beam." But it isn't particularly improving Yuu's giant sniper rifle so much as just shooting the same beam regardless of what quality of beam rifle is shoved in there, or so it seems.

That is the lesson I took from it but I saw someone elsewhere comment that what they thought it meant is that Fumina realized that she needs her friends to succeed and her looking down and going "Yu, Sekai... oh!" was her realizing that. I don't buy it but BF has done things I find incomprehensible before.

Oh, I get you. Yeah, it just seems to make a magic plavsky gate that is like "Input beam here, output big gigantic buster rifle here".

I'm with you in that I don't really buy that alternative interpretation simply because it's not really a character revelation at all. She's needed her friends to succeed already this entire time, so why would that be a "OHHH I GET IT NOW!" moment? Terrible writing could make that into a reality but given how seemingly self-aware of the show's flaws this last episode was I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

I still find myself wondering how builders define the abilities their gunpla have.

"this shield absorbs then fires energy"
"this leg is also a fusion rifle"
"these zeon troops can plant c4"
"these funnel fingers can combine into a massive funnel"
... Etc

The answer is probably to believe in the heart of the particles.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Especially since at the same time, they were hammering in "Yuu rediscovers his passion and his ability to improve" and "Sekai gets beat the gently caress up and then gets excited about it", I kinda feel like the revelation might be "I have no desire to win for my own sake, or to exceed my own limits, and am letting myself become a cheerleader in the hobby I loving introduced them to."

Which is close to, but not quite the same as "I need to learn how to use my own goddamn weapons".

Edit I also find it amusing that they're finally giving Yuuma more character development RE: his Gunpla battling... by basically copying Sei's "you worry too much about losing your Gunpla", just in the context of a series where there's Damage Levels.

Edit2 After an episode and change of him completely taking over the show, I would totally watch a series that was just "Yuuma wanders around Japan being ridiculous and teaching kids to love making plastic robots blow each other up". Bonus points if his sidekick is Fellini.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Dec 25, 2014

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Poison Mushroom posted:

Edit I also find it amusing that they're finally giving Yuuma more character development RE: his Gunpla battling... by basically copying Sei's "you worry too much about losing your Gunpla", just in the context of a series where there's Damage Levels.

It's less about him worrying about his Gunpla being damaged/destroyed and more about him not being able to keep his promise to Fumina. He's been "fighting to not lose" as the Meijin puts it because he's afraid of not being able to live up to that promise. The lesson he's supposed to take away from this is that losing isn't the end of the world, because you can always keep on playing and getting better at it.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I phrased it poorly. What I mean is that Yuuma, like Sei, is going to have to overcome the issue of worrying so much about what will happen if he loses. For Sei, it was 'my precious Gunpla will be destroyed', and for Yuuma, it's "I will continue to not have a personality" "I'm gonna lose a battle at a children's game, which is the worst thing in the world".

(Maybe it's kind of obvious that I don't care much for Yuuma as a character.)

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Something occurred to me as I was driving over to my brother's house this morning for Christmas stuff.

Why hasn't Fumina bothered to look up the name of her mysterious idol on the internet? I mean, as big as Gunpla Battle is, you'd think that there'd be records of past tournaments and their participants available online.

Yosuke
Dec 21, 2006

Emperor of Steel

Kanos posted:

Oh, I get you. Yeah, it just seems to make a magic plavsky gate that is like "Input beam here, output big gigantic buster rifle here".

I'm with you in that I don't really buy that alternative interpretation simply because it's not really a character revelation at all. She's needed her friends to succeed already this entire time, so why would that be a "OHHH I GET IT NOW!" moment? Terrible writing could make that into a reality but given how seemingly self-aware of the show's flaws this last episode was I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt.

It's also hard to buy any alternate interpretation when Lady is basically yelling out "You have a bunch of weapons you -can't actually use- That entire Gunpla is a mess!" the whole time.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

W.T. Fits posted:

Something occurred to me as I was driving over to my brother's house this morning for Christmas stuff.

Why hasn't Fumina bothered to look up the name of her mysterious idol on the internet? I mean, as big as Gunpla Battle is, you'd think that there'd be records of past tournaments and their participants available online.
Same reason Yuuma never looked up the name of his nemesis: "gently caress if I know. "

AtheistMantis
Oct 5, 2014
I was just thinking about the speculation on Star Winning Gundam. If the conversion into HG is going to be a thing, what if instead of small plastic connector joints coming out of the bigger joints, what if the limbs just detach, rearrange, and are connected by pure plavsky? If they were capable of damaging things, that would be the most unstoppable gimmick I can think of.

Though the giant combining robo would still be the raddest, and thematically fit the best in the climax of a team fighting show.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

W.T. Fits posted:

It's the same phenomon as cellphone coverage in horror movies: plot convinience.
She might have also entered under a pseudonym, as I doubt Lady is her real name. Don't underestimate the power of fake identities in a Gundam series.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
You assholes made me look for Meijin Kawaguchi in facebook.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

AtheistMantis posted:

I was just thinking about the speculation on Star Winning Gundam. If the conversion into HG is going to be a thing, what if instead of small plastic connector joints coming out of the bigger joints, what if the limbs just detach, rearrange, and are connected by pure plavsky? If they were capable of damaging things, that would be the most unstoppable gimmick I can think of.

Though the giant combining robo would still be the raddest, and thematically fit the best in the climax of a team fighting show.

Star Winning fighting like a toy robot version of Monsoon would be acceptable.,

Yosuke
Dec 21, 2006

Emperor of Steel
So the upgraded kits went up for preorder on places, complete with glamor shots. I think this confirms Star Winning's gimmick...

http://i.imgur.com/b6QYl34.jpg I guess thats the rest of the torso if the extended limbs are there.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

W.T. Fits posted:

My money is on Gunpla mafia.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

AtheistMantis posted:

The only one in either show who has ever been intelligent enough to use the internet to look up the identities and past records of his opponents and other gunpla fighters is Nils, and he's a super ultra genius scientist.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

Any time spent on the internet is better spent TRAINING

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE

KaosMachina
Oct 9, 2012

There's nothing special about me.

Of COURSE someone's going to Titus Madoka the Build Fighters figures.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

KaosMachina posted:

Of COURSE someone's going to Titus Madoka the Build Fighters figures.

You say that like there's something wrong with that.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

As a friendly reminder: No BF this week due to New Years break.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

ImpAtom posted:

As a friendly reminder: No BF this week due to New Years break.

But I gotta get my fix, man. Quit holding out on me or I'm gonna have to resort to snorting crushed runner plastic again :feelsgood:.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Just build your RG Wing Zero Custom like everyone else.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

You should be celebrating new years with Yuuki, building the #1 Rocket Spacecraft in japan right now. :getin:

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Cao Ni Ma posted:

You should be celebrating new years with Yuuki, building the #1 Rocket Spacecraft in japan right now. :getin:

I feel like it is somehow wrong for that to not be blindingly shiny.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Cao Ni Ma posted:

I'm surprised they didn't release the Amazing Red's weapons as a booster pack. There's enough of them, and they're all gunmetal grey :shrug:.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I'm surprised they didn't release the Amazing Red's weapons as a booster pack. There's enough of them, and they're all gunmetal grey :shrug:.

They did.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

chumbler posted:

I feel like it is somehow wrong for that to not be blindingly shiny.

Put an unshaded lamp behind it when you're done.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

:fap:

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

:swoon:

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

Cao Ni Ma posted:

i like ebikawa a lot but i still wish it was more like the katoki red warrior...

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

What.Seriously,what.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

VolticSurge posted:

What.Seriously,what.

Christmas or Christmas Day (Old English: Crīstesmęsse, meaning "Christ's Mass") is an annual festival commemorating the birth of Jesus Christ, observed most commonly on December 25 as a religious and cultural celebration among billions of people around the world.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Singh Long
Oct 9, 2012

Merry Christmas Hard Gouf?

Caros
May 14, 2008

Oh Yuuma, don't be shy. You're such a pretty girl.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Sometimes Japan scares me.

Sometimes it scares and amuses me at the same time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I wish I could just be disgusted at that, but Mr. Ral's making me laugh too hard.

• Locked thread