Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

ViggyNash posted:

They're meant to be caricatures, don't think about it too hard.

Also, they work in animation production. Everyone is on the autism spectrum in this industry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Next episode: the disk has an error on it and it doesn't actually air.

Also, the bear's letter was accepted in the ED this time!

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

The Devil Tesla posted:

This sounds scarily possible.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

The Devil Tesla posted:

NOOOOOOOooooooooooooooooooo!

ALso, now I really want to watch Andes Chucky.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

The Devil Tesla posted:

If it happens, it will most certainly be Takanashi Tarou's fault.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

sneaky sneaky, this show

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

dragon enthusiast posted:

sneaky sneaky, this show

Can you explain what you're talking about?

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

Can you explain what you're talking about?

Foreshadowing about Sugie saving all their asses

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Ah, ok.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
It's probably wishful thinking on my part when I hope this whole arc with the old guy isn't subtle criticism on moe as a trend, right?

I mean, I really don't think there's any reason why someone who isn't a good artist with solid fundamentals wouldn't be able to "moe it up". It's not like it's some bizarre subtle technical craftsmanship thing. And drawing cutesy cartoon animals is closer to cutesy cartoon girls than say, being someone who worked on a Fist of the North Star anime.

Wouldn't WANT TO? Maybe! Not naturally suited towards? Possibly, but incapable of? To put a spin on an old nugget, if moe was hard, then everybody wouldn't be doing it.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

OnimaruXLR posted:

It's probably wishful thinking on my part when I hope this whole arc with the old guy isn't subtle criticism on moe as a trend, right?

I mean, I really don't think there's any reason why someone who isn't a good artist with solid fundamentals wouldn't be able to "moe it up". It's not like it's some bizarre subtle technical craftsmanship thing. And drawing cutesy cartoon animals is closer to cutesy cartoon girls than say, being someone who worked on a Fist of the North Star anime.

Wouldn't WANT TO? Maybe! Not naturally suited towards? Possibly, but incapable of? To put a spin on an old nugget, if moe was hard, then everybody wouldn't be doing it.
It is more likely a criticism on age discrimination or possible trends in general. Not the moe trend in particular.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

MonsieurChoc posted:

ALso, now I really want to watch Andes Chucky.

I've tried to watch some shows like this, they're really boring.

OnimaruXLR posted:

Definitely wishful thinking, this is half a moe show. It's more like it doesn't take itself too seriously, and that it's okay that moe is poo poo.

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool
This episode made me feel so warm and happy to see them succeed and to see Sugie help save the day. I feel happy you guys~ Merry Christmas :3:

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

The Devil Tesla posted:

The real :unsmith: moment in this episode.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties
Whoever did Kanno's voice (assuming it's not Anno himself under a pseudonym) was incredible. The VA manage to sound EXACTLY like Anno--not only the voice, but also the tone, inflection, the weird pauses when Anno talks, the whole nine yards were the same. Did this VA voice anything else?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

sincx posted:

Whoever did Kanno's voice (assuming it's not Anno himself under a pseudonym) was incredible. The VA manage to sound EXACTLY like Anno--not only the voice, but also the tone, inflection, the weird pauses when Anno talks, the whole nine yards were the same. Did this VA voice anything else?

Shouto Kashii, he's done a ton of minor characters in all sorts of anime, but nothing major it seems.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

nielsm posted:

Shouto Kashii, he's done a ton of minor characters in all sorts of anime, but nothing major it seems.

I would've thought they'd pull the guy who voiced Director-kun in Insufficient Direction, but I guess they wanted a more serious depiction. I did find out that Megumi Hayashibara voiced Rompers and I wouldn't be surprised if a version of her showed up at some point since she's at that level of illustriousness.

Feoffic
Feb 13, 2012

OnimaruXLR posted:

I think it's an add on to the previous topic of digital v. hand drawn animation, except here it's laser focused on the changing relevance of animators that are not able or willing to adapt instead of those who are.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

nvm

aers fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Dec 27, 2014

laplace
Oct 9, 2012

kcab dneb smra ym semitemos tub ,reh wonk I ekil leef I
This show is a universal force of good. The fact that it exists actively makes the world a better place.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

They're going to hire the girl with yellow highlights and the woman who wanted to have a better commute. She's still better than Tarou.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

The colors :v:

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I want to believe that Anno's home really does look like some kind of evil corporate office.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Sindai posted:

I want to believe that Anno's home really does look like some kind of evil corporate office.

I bet that's just the room he uses to meet important people in. I'm sure he has perfectly normal rooms for an otaku.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

Xelkelvos posted:

I bet that's just the room he uses to meet important people in. I'm sure he has perfectly normal rooms for an otaku.

Given how detailed this show is regarding industry trivia, I'm sure Anno's real living room looks very close to that.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

sincx posted:

Given how detailed this show is regarding industry trivia, I'm sure Anno's real living room looks very close to that.

I'm just basing it on what I gleaned from his life from Insufficient Direction since it's basically about him from the POV of his wife.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

New top image on the website for the second half.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Gee, I wonder who they're going to hire.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

Guyver posted:

New top image on the website for the second half.

So is Shirobako supposed to be a moe SOL or not? It sure looks like one from all the promo art, but the content certainly isn't moe.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
The cute girl stuff is the beautiful dream smashed to pieces by the harsh realities of the animation industry, only to be rebuilt, stronger than before.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Ah, VOICE TRAINING BOOK, the seminal work on the subject.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Sindai posted:

Hey c'mon she needed a prop :mad:

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
I'm pretty disappointed that that image has no Tarou.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

They're sitting on his grave.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

PaganGoatPants posted:

The second half takes a sudden and drastic shift in tone.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Hair Highlight girl is in and that's the only thing that matters.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Sindai posted:

I love this show so much.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

sincx posted:

It could be his office/reception room at Studio Khara

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

PaganGoatPants posted:

I would be perfectly fine with this being real.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

StandardVC10 posted:

The second half takes a sudden and drastic shift in tone.

Celebratory.

• Locked thread