Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Joda
Apr 24, 2010

When I'm off, I just like to really let go and have fun, y'know?

Fun Shoe
http://politiken.dk/udland/ECE2494315/fem-er-indlagt-efter-brandattentat-mod-svensk-moske

Does anyone still wanna make the case that extreme left-wing violence is a bigger problem in Sweden than nationalist/extreme right wing violence? I offer now as a chance to stand up and defend that claim.

E: wrong URL

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gedt
Oct 3, 2007

Joda posted:

http://politiken.dk/udland/ECE2494315/fem-er-indlagt-efter-brandattentat-mod-svensk-moske

Does anyone still wanna make the case that extreme left-wing violence is a bigger problem in Sweden than nationalist/extreme right wing violence? I offer now as a chance to stand up and defend that claim.

E: wrong URL

That is literally just across the street from me. gently caress.

DanTheFryingPan
Jan 28, 2006
Obvious false flag operation/not confirmed as arson/maybe if Sweden had less immigration this not happen.

Rutkowski
Apr 28, 2008

CAN YOU BELIEVE THIS GUY?

Gedt posted:

That is literally just across the street from me. gently caress.

Then you're neighbors with two confirmed active nazis, one from NU and one from SMR.

Government Handjob
Nov 1, 2004

Gudbrandsglasnost
College Slice

Rutkowski posted:

Then you're neighbors with two confirmed active nazis, one from NU and one from SMR.

I don't think that fact comes as a surprise to him.
Happy crimbo, Gedt

Gedt
Oct 3, 2007

Rutkowski posted:

Welcome to Nyfors. Well, Eskilstuna as whole really.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

:frogsiren:THERE WON'T BE A RE-ELECTION:frogsiren:

Rutkowski
Apr 28, 2008

Four more years of liberal economics and decentralizations. "Yay!"

Fader Movitz
Sep 25, 2012

Snus, snaps och saltlakrits

Rutkowski posted:

Four more years of liberal economics and decentralizations. "Yay!"

So you really think anything would have changed with a re election?

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Huh, Sjöstedt seems convinced that private-wellfare is still up for reform.

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

How much can be changed in the tilläggsbudget come spring? Can Alliansens budget be completely undone or can stuff only be added?

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?

Fader Movitz posted:

So you really think anything would have changed with a re election?

Yeah I don't have any faith in people to give V (or S?) enough extra votes to push away from the liberalization schemes. At worst we'd get more SD protest voting from people who should know better.

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer

Xoidanor posted:

What does this mean in practice? Alliansen will vote for governments suggestions? Alliansen got more say in how the country is run? A year of peace and three of constant warring?

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

Hob_Gadling posted:

What does this mean in practice? Alliansen will vote for governments suggestions? Alliansen got more say in how the country is run? A year of peace and three of constant warring?

It seems to mean that whatever block is in the minority won't vote against a budget. There will also be some cooperation in the areas of energy, pensions and defence. While all other policy areas will be voted on as normal. Since the budget is the most important vote, I imagine whoever is in the majority (i.e. biggest minority) will have some peace and quiet.

Hopefully there won't be too much cooperation so the some distinction between the parties are upheld.

PsychoLordling
May 13, 2008

If you can read this Sarah Palin's dick must have fallen out of my mouth. Please return it to it's proper position.
If SD have x representatives, having the major oposition party grant x/2, rounded up, votes to be used by the prime minister would have been a better idea..

Postorder Trollet89
Jan 12, 2008
Sweden doesn't do religion. But if they did, it would probably be the best religion in the world.

Xoidanor posted:

HA! I loving told you this would end in a deal. gently caress SD, I'm glad they managed to get to a point where they could cancel it.

uno.mannschaft
Dec 23, 2006
If anyone is in the mood for neofascist tears here's a good start:
http://www.svd.se/opinion/brannpunkt/brp-direkt-installt-val_4215643.svd

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

SD pushing for a vote of no confidence in response like the petulant children that they are absolutely made the day for me. :allears:

Postorder Trollet89
Jan 12, 2008
Sweden doesn't do religion. But if they did, it would probably be the best religion in the world.
I honestly don't know what SD was expecting would happen when they declared themselves against the remaining 87% of parliament. This is not Italy.

Watching Paula Beiler cry her eyes out in Aftonbladet makes this a very good holiday season for me.

Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012
What a loving retarded move by the alliance, their voters wont like thst they will just accept whatever stupid budget the left comes up next year and now SD has become the only real opposition.

OldManMarsh
Sep 25, 2013

leeeettsss play
The tears of SD might just be the best Christmas present for me! Can't wait to read all the dumb complaints they'll have!

Joda
Apr 24, 2010

Fun Shoe

Lord Tywin posted:

What a loving retarded move by the alliance, their voters wont like thst they will just accept whatever stupid budget the left comes up next year and now SD has become the only real opposition.

When the alternative was a re-election in which SD stood to GAIN votes and power, meaning the other parties would have to make a similar arrangement to keep them out of power anyway, then this really seems like the best solution.

Assuming you're not a xenophobic nationalist that is.

OldManMarsh
Sep 25, 2013

leeeettsss play

Joda posted:

When the alternative was a re-election in which SD stood to GAIN votes and power, meaning the other parties would have to make a similar arrangement to keep them out of power anyway, then this really seems like the best solution.

Yeah, the re-election would have been a waste of time and money. Won't stop people complaining, though.

Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012

Joda posted:

How much power and influence do you think SD will gain in 2018 when the Alliance have supported S for four years and SD have been the only real opposition?

OldManMarsh
Sep 25, 2013

leeeettsss play

Lord Tywin posted:

How much power and influence do you think SD will gain in 2018 when the Alliance have supported S for four years and SD have been the only real opposition?

Depends, if people actually start reading about the poo poo SD politicians say and do they may (hopefully) stop voting for them.

Cakebaker
Jul 23, 2007
Wanna buy some cake?

Lord Tywin posted:

The point was that the alliance probably would have had to make this agreement after a re election anyway.

Joda
Apr 24, 2010

Fun Shoe

OldManMarsh posted:

Depends, if people actually start reading about the poo poo SD politicians say and do they may (hopefully) stop voting for them.

While I don't think a re-election would've changed anything, since the net result would be the same, this is just naïve. It's basically what we hoped would happen with DF and FrP in Denmark and look where we are now. DF are looking at around 18-22% of the votes. The one major advantage Sweden has over us is that your politicians refuse to take SD seriously or give them any kind of influence, whereas here we get the worst of both worlds; whenever the right gets a majority: right-wing economic policy combined with xenophobic and conservative immigration and culture policies. Whenever the "left" gets a majority: Attempts to emulate the immigration views of DF to pander to their voters and very slightly less right-wing economic policy.

E: I guess it's because the core profile of a closet racist/nationalist/xenophobe/etc. never really changes, and in turn the only people who'd consider voting for SD fit in those groups, and as such are already to some extend aligned with any kind of racist poo poo a SD politician would spew. Of course they'll never admit that they're racist/xenophobic/etc. because that's a bad label and in politics we can't just call things what they are. I'm pretty sure that's what's happening with DF.

Joda fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Dec 27, 2014

OldManMarsh
Sep 25, 2013

leeeettsss play

Joda posted:

While I don't think a re-election would've changed anything, since the net result would be the same, this is just naïve. It's basically what we hoped would happen with DF and FrP in Denmark and look where we are now. DF are looking at around 18-22% of the votes. The one major advantage Sweden has over us is that your politicians refuse to take SD seriously or give them any kind of influence, whereas here we get the worst of both worlds; whenever the right gets a majority: right-wing economic policy combined with xenophobic and conservative immigration and culture policies. Whenever the "left" gets a majority: Attempts to emulate the immigration views of DF to pander to their voters and very slightly less right-wing economic policy.

The situation wouldn't have changed after a re-election though. They'd still have to do the agreement, making all of it a waste of time and money.

This just gives us more time for people to grow a brain, without all that waste.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Joda posted:

I think that's debatable.

OldManMarsh
Sep 25, 2013

leeeettsss play
For another 30 minutes SR are talking with a couple of politicians about the deal at this location http://sverigesradio.se/sida/artikel.aspx?programid=1637&artikel=6055728

Unfortunately I've missed most of it. Hoping it gets recorded in case I'll feel like listening to all of it.

EDIT: Björn Söder (SD) currently on. Hoping for a lot of tears and funny bullshit.

EDIT again: Tears and bullshit quota of today achieved. They brought in an SD voter.

Quote from that particular voter: "What happened today was that democracy ended."
I can't stop laughing about that one...

OldManMarsh fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Dec 27, 2014

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

SD tried to call for a confidence vote and it backfired horribly? That's my understanding of what happened?

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦

Joda posted:

The way to make SD voters stop voting SD is to let them have power proportional to their % of votes and let everyone see they don't have any answers. Exclusion will just keep increasing their support. This is not me supporting SD (or the Finnish equivalent, been a Left Alliance/Green voter my whole life). Democracy means you have to honor the election results even if you don't like it.

OldManMarsh
Sep 25, 2013

leeeettsss play

doverhog posted:

The way to make SD voters stop voting SD is to let them have power proportional to their % of votes and let everyone see they don't have any answers. Exclusion will just keep increasing their support. This is not me supporting SD (or the Finnish equivalent, been a Left Alliance/Green voter my whole life). Democracy means you have to honor the election results even if you don't like it.

The reason they don't have any power is that no party is willing to cooperate with them due to their politics. Considering that SD aren't willing to compromise on their core politics, I don't know why other parties need to do that. I don't see this as anything near dishonoring election results, that's blowing this way out of proportion.

OldManMarsh fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Dec 27, 2014

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

SD tried to call for a confidence vote and it backfired horribly? That's my understanding of what happened?

More like their plan for becoming relevant backfired horribly and they're calling the vote out of spite.

OldManMarsh
Sep 25, 2013

leeeettsss play

Xoidanor posted:

More like their plan for becoming relevant backfired horribly and they're calling the vote out of spite.

Just like their decision to vote against anybody who decided not to cooperate with them was done out of spite.

Fader Movitz
Sep 25, 2012

Snus, snaps och saltlakrits

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

No, the social democrats and the green party negotiated an agreement with the alliance. They both agree to follow certain rules that will let a minority government rule. This means that SD just lost their position as kingmaker in the parliament when it comes to stuff like finances, defence, environment and immigration. Outraged, SD called a vote of no confidence, but no one really cares.

Fader Movitz fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Dec 27, 2014

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

EAT WELL, SLEEP WELL, SHIT WELL! THERE'S YOUR ANSWER!!

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

Short version of the events

The government proposed a budget.

The opposition coalition "the alliance" voted against it and SD voted against it. SD tried to appeal to the government and say "Hey, government, we're going to vote for your budget if you amend it with a lot of horrifically racist poo poo".

The government did not want to negotiate with SD and called for a re-election instead.

Because neither the government or the opposition particularly care for a re-election, they instead called a ceasefire of sorts, in which they will not vote against each other's budgets, essentially. SD's plan to force themselves into relevance has collapsed.

SD is very angry at this and calls a vote of no confidence, but no one cares.

Kwik
Apr 4, 2006

You can't touch our beaver. :canada:

Exercu posted:

Short version of the events

The government proposed a budget.

The opposition coalition "the alliance" voted against it and SD voted against it. SD tried to appeal to the government and say "Hey, government, we're going to vote for your budget if you amend it with a lot of horrifically racist poo poo".

The government did not want to negotiate with SD and called for a re-election instead.

Because neither the government or the opposition particularly care for a re-election, they instead called a ceasefire of sorts, in which they will not vote against each other's budgets, essentially. SD's plan to force themselves into relevance has collapsed.

SD is very angry at this and calls a vote of no confidence, but no one cares.

The deal actually also goes through the next parliament (which will be elected in 2018) as well. Basically, the opposition parties will abstain from budget votes, ensuring that, even if there is a minority situation, the government will get their budget passed.

Edit- Reuters is saying that the agreement also includes a proviso that, if neither alliance gets a majority in the next election, the M/G/V/KD bloc would be guaranteed to form the next government, though I haven't seen that anywhere else.

Kwik fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Dec 27, 2014

Rutkowski
Apr 28, 2008

A Moderates/Left/Green/Christian Democrats coalition? That'd be interesting to watch for the sheer hilarity of it.

(also, such a provision(which if anything would mean the Alliance, I guess) is most likely bullshit because that'd mean that if S+MP got 45, percent, SD 30, V 5 and the Alliance all got five percent per party it'd mean we'd have a 20% government. What the provision is, most likely, is that the biggest power bloc, no mater the parties involved, form the government regardless of if they got a majority or not)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

EAT WELL, SLEEP WELL, SHIT WELL! THERE'S YOUR ANSWER!!

Kwik posted:

The deal actually also goes through the next parliament (which will be elected in 2018) as well. Basically, the opposition parties will abstain from budget votes, ensuring that, even if there is a minority situation, the government will get their budget passed.

This is true. Apparently when I edited my message a bit before posting I accidentally cut that part out.

• Locked thread