Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

You don't really get it, but D&D is that way, this is the Top Gear thread and I'm waiting patiently for the new special, where they get run out of the country by white people. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

mod sassinator posted:

I would start with maybe last season and go forward. Once they dumped the star in a reasonably priced car and studio parts of the show to just focus on challenges it got good.

Yeah. I don't know why they thought it would eventually start working if they just kept making the guys interview people even though it was obvious none of them had the slightest idea how to be entertaining off the cuff, but it was just painful waiting for them to figure it out.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 237 days!)

Data Graham posted:

Yeah. I don't know why they thought it would eventually start working if they just kept making the guys interview people even though it was obvious none of them had the slightest idea how to be entertaining off the cuff, but it was just painful waiting for them to figure it out.

Not very used to our demographic, are you? Good hair and/or voice and/or trustfund and/or assumed trustfund and/or MTV/Viacom - it's a given!

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I meant the hosts.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
They had an Alaska special at the end of the first season. Watch that. Then watch whatever episode after that where they stop having guests. Continue on from there.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 237 days!)

Data Graham posted:

I meant the hosts.

:bigtran: So did I. Some of us had to earn our way back to broke.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
Here's a quick trailer for the ArgentinaPatagonia Special

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0sAse6psM0o

Also, I just discovered that Man Lab ran for more than one season. I have ten (10!!) episodes of James May to work through!

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

pik_d posted:

Also, I just discovered that Man Lab ran for more than one season. I have ten (10!!) episodes of James May to work through!
There's also Richard Hammond's Wild Weather miniseries that wrapped up tonight.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Data Graham posted:

If you started TGUS from the beginning, you've got a long slog ahead of you before it gets fun.

I don't know, Beater Boot Camp was a poo poo ton of fun. A challenge pitting a Fiero against a Buick Roadmaster? It was tons of fun.

The Toughest Truck episode was really good, too.

I mean, yeah the later ones are miles better, but if you can't get any enjoyment out of the early ones at all, I think the problem is you rather than the show. It's coarse, but it's still fun. And yeah, fast-forward through the SIARPC for sure.

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!
I particularly liked the Hillux to the North pole episode. Also I am of the opinion that the specials are all pretty much tits.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

Lord of Garbagemen posted:

I particularly liked the Hillux to the North pole episode. Also I am of the opinion that the specials are all pretty much tits.

Everyone knows the best part about Top Gear are the reviews of mid line versions of obscure once British designed cars sold only in the UK and made in Albania or something.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Preoptopus posted:

Everyone knows the best part about Top Gear are the reviews of mid line versions of obscure once British designed cars sold only in the UK and made in Albania or something.

Then you would love James May's Cars of the People.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

FogHelmut posted:

Then you would love James May's Cars of the People.

I was being a smart rear end but honestly I love Mays cars of the people.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Preoptopus posted:

I actually really do enjoy those. They're still exotics to some of us!

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

The cheap car challenges before they got all zany will always hold a place in my heart. Particularly because I have fond memories of my broke parents making increasingly irrational car purchases like a Triumph TR7 and a VW beetle on the cheap and seeing the drama unfold.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I doubt anything will ever be as funny as the British Leyland challenge.

The cars falling literally to pieces on the cobblestone road

James' giggling face all streaming with eggs

Doors falling the gently caress off

"What happened to you?"
"I got covered in egg"

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

Data Graham posted:

"What happened to you?"
"I got covered in egg"
"But why's it all down your back?"

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
I liked when Top Gear used to do reviews with a bit of weirdness to them as well. The one with Clarkson hiding in the bushes pointing out a 370Z in its natural habitat is one that stuck.

Edit: This one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jpIbeNz46Yk

8ender fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Dec 17, 2014

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Data Graham posted:

I doubt anything will ever be as funny as the British Leyland challenge.

The cars falling literally to pieces on the cobblestone road

James' giggling face all streaming with eggs

Doors falling the gently caress off

"What happened to you?"
"I got covered in egg"
"My throttle's broken...I've only gone 400 yards and it's BROKEN!"

I also love how they try to pretend that Hammond beat the Datsun 120Y lap time and then after May's horrendous lap Clarkson drops the stopwatch.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

"My washing machine moves faster than that"

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

My favorite is probably the Alfa Romeo one, with Hammond manually pumping water into his engine while driving (until the handle of his pump comes off).

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Oh god, and the look of cartoonish terror on his face when it happens.

E: "The Police" :gay:

lt_kennedy
Sep 2, 2007
Needs Moar Race

Data Graham posted:

Oh god, and the look of cartoonish terror on his face when it happens.

E: "The Police" :gay:

Boadicea Wheels :hellyeah: And Ice Cream Van sounds :3

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Double Bill posted:

My favorite is probably the Alfa Romeo one, with Hammond manually pumping water into his engine while driving (until the handle of his pump comes off).
"A man came and flipped it over!"

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
Anybody know when and on what channel the special is on in states?

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

CornHolio posted:

Anybody know when and on what channel the special is on in states?

Whenever they get around to it next year, and on BBC America I presume.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

yeah unlike Doctor Who they don't do same-day simulcasts for Top Gear yet, it's still at least a week's delay during the normal season, and however the gently caress long for specials

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

FYI there's a James May Toy Stories thing today/tonight/yesterday/gently caress TIMEZONES

quote:

Action Man at the Speed of Sound

James May attempts to rehabilitate one of Britain's most derided toys by seeing if it's possible for Action Man to do what no toy has ever managed - travel faster than the speed of sound.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

nmfree posted:

FYI there's a James May Toy Stories thing today/tonight/yesterday/gently caress TIMEZONES

I'm happy, hope you're happy, too.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.
Was the special on today in the UK?

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Daric posted:

Nah it's being done over the weekend. First half on Saturday, second half on Sunday.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Daric posted:

No, it airs tomorrow, 8:30. http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b04ww8hj

Part 2 on Sunday at 8.

Scrambles
Jul 24, 2003

I WANT IT
A new James May's Toy Stories aired yesterday in the UK, was characteristically excellent. Check it out if you miss blowing up action figures when you were a kid.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Ola posted:

No, it airs tomorrow, 8:30. http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b04ww8hj

Part 2 on Sunday at 8.

Is it still possible to watch from the site with some Tor fuckery like it used to?

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Can we get a ruling from the powers that be on what counts as :filez: or not with regards to this programme?

Hypothetical crimes:

1. Downloading an episode via torrent/FTP/other means of transporting files
2. Tricking the BBC's country detector via a proxy network connection
3. Tricking the BBC's country detector via a browser proxy plugin
4. Accepting the wait until the episode available in your country, but whiling away that time with burglary
5. Watching mirror flipped youtube uploads until they get zappped
6. Wait for someone to buy the DVD, kill them, steal the DVD.

All are valid options for the morally corrupt, but are any one of them allowed to be mentioned in this forum? Speaking on behalf of my solicitor, who would normally speak on behalf of me but who will not let me engage in account sharing, I should stress that I condone nor admit participation to any of these activities, murder and burglary are terrible crimes.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
I was under the impression that we would just continue pretending that everyone posting in this thread lives in the UK?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

pip pip cheerio

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

mobby_6kl posted:

Is it still possible to watch from the site with some Tor fuckery like it used to?

ello good chap you don't need Tor for this.

M8 you can try using Foxy proxy on chrome
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-us/firefox/addon/foxyproxy-standard/

G'day I'm going to go have a tea and consider the queen.

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text
Hola seems to work fine, though missed the beginning :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Residency Evil posted:

I was under the impression that we would just continue pretending that everyone posting in this thread lives in the UK?

Wot you talking about with this pretending?