Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
2k is a drop in the bucket compared to what sim spergs spend on their gear. For a while I thought the CSW was too rich for my blood. I'm glad I have it, but what some people spend on things blows my mind. People spend 700 dollars on sequential shifters. It was basically just some bits of aluminum, a couple buttons and a USB controller. 700 dollars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
It's not a party until the bomb squad says it is
If you are referring to the DSD one.... I was almost tempted. My Frex cost me about 200, pretty happy with that.

I'm keeping an eye on these: http://www.protosimtech.com/en/PT-1-Sim-Racing-Pedals Not cheap, but look promising. Still, those are half the price of Derek Speare's pedal set.

I should be mad that I already own sim gear that cost more than my daily driver :v:

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

CactusWeasle posted:

Does anyone have direct experience with the CSW V1 versus the V2 ? The reviews I'm reading amount to "aw yeah its totally better" but the spec difference on paper doesnt have me sold.

I've gotta say that CSR-E to v2 (I think the CSR-E has the same functional internals as the v1? Not sure though) definitely is surprising in revealing how the CSR-E seemed great until I started using this one for a few days, CSR-E still a terrific wheel but the v2 is that much more smooth and realistic. I'm impressed.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Should I get gtr2 if I already have gtr evo?

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Now that I've got the CSW v2 and am liking it, I'm going to sell my practically unused Thrustmaster TX. It works with Xbox One and PC, and is a pretty nice wheel that's probably comparable to the CSR-E.
Here's the SA-Mart thread.
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3689683

bend it like baked ham
Feb 16, 2009

Fries.
WRC 4 is a pretty fun game and on sale over on Steam right now for less than you guys spend each month on video-game steering-wheel polish.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Mentos Dan posted:

WRC 4 is a pretty fun game and on sale over on Steam right now for less than you guys spend each month on video-game steering-wheel polish.

It's fun with a wheel but with a controller steering is really twitchy. If there's a way to adjust the steering rate for a controller I need to find it.

Essobie
Jan 31, 2003

WHAT? THIS IS MY REGULAR SPEAKING VOICE.
Is this better?

Mentos Dan posted:

I was just about to install RBR and try to get all of the crazy mods working with it today and failed miserably (and the website that hosts the mod patches seems to not want to let me get them anyway). I think I'd rather play something that came out in the last couple of years for a Rally fix. I hope you aren't steering me wrong here! :haw:

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
The reviews for the game say the pace notes suck. Plus if a racing game doesn't have oculus support these days, I can't be bothered.

Hit an Apex
Dec 2, 2004

Real Racing. Real Sport.
Coming over from AI. Haven't touched a game in years but picked up iRacing and a G27 3 days ago and I'm fully addicted. Are there goons on there? Team of some kind?

I managed to get out of oval rookie pretty quickly, seven races, and road course took me five races. All the incidents were mainly idiots hitting me or accidents I had no chance of avoiding. Pretty amazing. I won at Okayama International Circuit, not because I was fastest, but because I drove 10 consistent laps while everyone else could pull one fast one and went spinning. YouTube videos on the road courses with the Mx-5 Cup car were rather helpful.

Now, with D license, there are lots of series available - Late Model Tour, National Series, Team Truck, Modifieds, Production Car Challenge, Legends, Team GT3 Challenge, Global Challenge, Grand Touring, SRF, Skippy, etc.. Any recommendations?

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
787B mod is out for Assetto Corsa, its fantastic. Try it!

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

787B mod is out for Assetto Corsa, its fantastic. Try it!

Beat me to it. :iia:

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?

Hit an Apex posted:

Coming over from AI. Haven't touched a game in years but picked up iRacing and a G27 3 days ago and I'm fully addicted. Are there goons on there? Team of some kind?

I managed to get out of oval rookie pretty quickly, seven races, and road course took me five races. All the incidents were mainly idiots hitting me or accidents I had no chance of avoiding. Pretty amazing. I won at Okayama International Circuit, not because I was fastest, but because I drove 10 consistent laps while everyone else could pull one fast one and went spinning. YouTube videos on the road courses with the Mx-5 Cup car were rather helpful.

Now, with D license, there are lots of series available - Late Model Tour, National Series, Team Truck, Modifieds, Production Car Challenge, Legends, Team GT3 Challenge, Global Challenge, Grand Touring, SRF, Skippy, etc.. Any recommendations?

You could check the iRacing thread.

Skippy is where it's at, definitely get the Skippy.

E: as much as there has been improvements in Assetto Corsa, I still like rF2 better. The new Corvette is fantastic, the classic open wheel cars are insane, and nothing is as awesome as racing thirty go karts in a torrential downpour :getin:

Even so, I've spent much of my time in iRacing - partially because of how much money I've spent on it :v:

The Science Goy fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Dec 23, 2014

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!
So despite all this talk of the CSR v2 being better than predecessors etc., I take it the CSR Elite still shits on wheels such as the G27 etc. from a great height?

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

Essobie posted:

I was just about to install RBR and try to get all of the crazy mods working with it today and failed miserably (and the website that hosts the mod patches seems to not want to let me get them anyway). I think I'd rather play something that came out in the last couple of years for a Rally fix. I hope you aren't steering me wrong here! :haw:

I tried to do the same thing two days ago. Was basically looking for widescreen support.

I miss RBR something fierce.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
I downloaded 2015 just fine and it's a blast. Was surprised that it's almost 30 gigs though! It's not that hard to install though. Download the main 2015 torrent, the seven track pack torrents, and the car pack torrent and install in that order.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Here have the notes I made for last year's version:

1. Install Richard Burns Rally (NOT in Program Files)
2. Run Install_RSRBR_v2014.exe
3. Run Install_Pack_Tracks_v2014.exe (Ensure you have all bin files)
4. Run Install_Pack_ALL_Packs_2014.exe
6. Run game once to create ini, close.
7. Edit RichardBurnsRally.ini to change xres, yres, and fullscreen appropriately.
8. Run any additional optional installers (BTB Country Packs etc)

Should be the same for 2015, which I'm installing now, thanks for the heads up!

Edit: Confirmed it works, and that it still uses that clunky mod loader.

Jehde fucked around with this message at 09:35 on Dec 23, 2014

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

Here4DaGangBang posted:

So despite all this talk of the CSR v2 being better than predecessors etc., I take it the CSR Elite still shits on wheels such as the G27 etc. from a great height?

The G27 is no slouch, but the CSR-E outclasses it in every way aside from the plastic Fanatec basic shifter being pretty meh, but since their stuff is all modular you can just buy their more expensive shifter option and that will destroy the G27's. The Logitechs are gear driven and feel notchy and grainy when you turn the wheel, the CSR-E is belt driven and as a result is quieter, smoother, and just feels more like how real steering wheels feel whereas the G27 feels like a really good arcade setup's wheel. Logitech's wheel covering/rim feel is slightly nicer but a little smaller in diameter, CSR-E's layout is more ergonomic (for me anyway, keeps your wrists in a more neutral position during long sessions) and the paddle shifters are much better oriented and have a considerably better travel feel with a more obvious click to let you know you actually did change gear.

CSR-E has more varied and a wider range of force feedback effects. It also has upgradeable firmware and an on-board tuning menu which allows you to change settings on the fly which is really handy if you play a lot of different games/different systems. The CSR-E works with PC, PS3 and Xbox 360, the G25/G27 won't work on the 360.

The G25 and G27 are still great wheels, just in a slightly different class.

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!

Ether Frenzy posted:

The G27 is no slouch, but the CSR-E outclasses it in every way aside from the plastic Fanatec basic shifter being pretty meh, but since their stuff is all modular you can just buy their more expensive shifter option and that will destroy the G27's. The Logitechs are gear driven and feel notchy and grainy when you turn the wheel, the CSR-E is belt driven and as a result is quieter, smoother, and just feels more like how real steering wheels feel whereas the G27 feels like a really good arcade setup's wheel. Logitech's wheel covering/rim feel is slightly nicer but a little smaller in diameter, CSR-E's layout is more ergonomic (for me anyway, keeps your wrists in a more neutral position during long sessions) and the paddle shifters are much better oriented and have a considerably better travel feel with a more obvious click to let you know you actually did change gear.

CSR-E has more varied and a wider range of force feedback effects. It also has upgradeable firmware and an on-board tuning menu which allows you to change settings on the fly which is really handy if you play a lot of different games/different systems. The CSR-E works with PC, PS3 and Xbox 360, the G25/G27 won't work on the 360.

The G25 and G27 are still great wheels, just in a slightly different class.

Ok cool, that was my understanding of what to expect, it sounds like the CSR-E is pretty great in the scheme of things but the CSRV2 is just even greater. My mate doesn't have a shifter with it but if I liked it I was planning to grab the new shifter they're bringing out which is all metal..

"Shits on from a great height" was probably a bit strong, I realise the G25 and 27 are solid wheels, I was looking at those before I realised my mate had a CSR-E gathering dust.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
All Simbin games (including Race 07) are on sale for -80% http://store.steampowered.com/sub/18370/

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
Assetto Corsa is a daily deal, half off!

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
That's funny because it just came out a few days ago.

SanitysEdge
Jul 28, 2005
AC: Yellowbird is out.

Dont forget to press 0.

SanitysEdge fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Dec 24, 2014

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

SanitysEdge posted:

AC: Yellowbird is out.

Dont forget to press 0.

That turbo spool down chirp. :swoon:

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

With this magnificent aircraft,
and my magnificent facial hair,
the British Empire will never fall!

Grid Autosport is 75% off on Steam.

If I already have Assetto Corsa and iRacing would I gain anything from adding this to my Steam haul?

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Helicon One posted:

Grid Autosport is 75% off on Steam.

If I already have Assetto Corsa and iRacing would I gain anything from adding this to my Steam haul?

A very competent racing game. Worth it at that price.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

If you're Iooking for something arcadey then it should fit the bill. I thought it didn't look too good though and I didn't like how the career was structured. It is codemasters though so the driving generally feels good.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
So whats the trick to getting the logitech profiler to see the games in my steam library? I'm having this weird issue where I'll set a game to say 200 rotation in the profiler for my dfgt but then in game that goes out the window and it's at 900

Harminoff fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Dec 26, 2014

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
I think the consensus is to set the profiler to 900* and no interference/as off as possible, then let games do the actual adjustment?

I haven't been able to enjoy AC/P+G since going back to a controller. I'm hoping Project Cars for PC comes out soon so I can at least get the catch em all upgrade em all itch scratched till I can get a wheel setup again. Might go for Grid Autosport in the meantime...

Drunk Badger
Aug 27, 2012

Trained Drinking Badger
A Faithful Companion

Grimey Drawer
Do we have a GRID Autosport thread or group?

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

I highly recommend the Ruf CTR around Solitude. Try taking the last bend over the crest before the Schatten at 270km/h. :eyepop:

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Drunk Badger posted:

Do we have a GRID Autosport thread or group?

I'm not going to say no, since I'm not sure, but I doubt it. That game was dead on release.

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Mesmerizing eyebrows is my specialty
Does anyone have any suggestions for some decent, not too expensive, wheel stands? Been looking around a bit myself as well but it would be nice to get some recommendations. I have a G27 by the way. (Finally)

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Torabi posted:

Does anyone have any suggestions for some decent, not too expensive, wheel stands? Been looking around a bit myself as well but it would be nice to get some recommendations. I have a G27 by the way. (Finally)

Wheelstand Pro

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Torabi posted:

I liked the wheel stand pro. About the cheapest one out there and it works well. I have long legs so the center mounted pole for the wheel didn't get in my way. If you have shorter legs that might be an issue

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

With this magnificent aircraft,
and my magnificent facial hair,
the British Empire will never fall!

Is the Wheelstand Pro sturdy enough? Putting the wheel on top of a single long pole like that looks like it would wobble all over the place but if not I'll look at adding it to the list of things to buy when I get my new PC.

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Mesmerizing eyebrows is my specialty

Helicon One posted:

Is the Wheelstand Pro sturdy enough? Putting the wheel on top of a single long pole like that looks like it would wobble all over the place but if not I'll look at adding it to the list of things to buy when I get my new PC.

I'm wondering this too. Also it seems weird that the stand is between your legs but I suppose it won't matter for me either. I'm 180 cm tall. (~5.9 ft for you silly Americans)

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Just imagine you're driving one of several cars where the steering column goes between your legs.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Helicon One posted:

You can easily bludgeon someone to death with it. It's fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
The weight of your feet on the pedals keeps it secure. Also it's heavier than it looks. I never had any issue with instability.

• Locked thread