Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Harettazetta
Jul 22, 2006

"Well, what choice do I have!? Trust is for fools! Fear is the only reliable way!"

Meiteron posted:

This last step was great because

My 37 runs of Aurum Vale, 28 runs of Snowcloak and 23 runs of Hullbreaker deeply, deeply disagree.

I hate RNG.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Meiteron posted:

I won't lie, parts of the relic questline I genuinely enjoy. This last step was great because it was essentially an invitation to figure out how to speed run every post-50 dungeon, which is a neat challenge if you want to apply yourself.

I won't do another one though because the bad parts are just too interminable. Atma problems have been well documented. Animus books themselves are fine but cost too many tomes total. Nexus light needs to be doubled at minimum from all sources, if not higher. Don't actually have a problem with the Novus step, really.

When you're in the middle of it it's ok just to be making small progress over time. Like, getting my Nexus took maybe 4 months, I got it one day before the last step launched. I can't even imagine how people are now grinding relics out in a matter of weeks.

People are poopsocking the loving out of things, that's how they're doing it.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!

Harettazetta posted:

My 37 runs of Aurum Vale, 28 runs of Snowcloak and 23 runs of Hullbreaker deeply, deeply disagree.

I hate RNG.

Ouch. Yeah, the worst I got was something like 20 runs for Pharos and Copperbell so as far as things went it turned out alright for me. Most of the people I know didn't get shafted by the RNG like they did with Atma, but I suppose the potential is always there.

Mr. Nice! posted:

People are poopsocking the loving out of things, that's how they're doing it.

Oh I know HOW they're doing it. I just cannot put myself into the mindset of someone going "I would like to spend 20 hours today doing nothing but running HM primals over and over because boy howdy I really want my Nexus immediately."

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

Gearhead posted:

I think the idea is that if you are doing something in this game you really must find it fun.

Otherwise you would do something else.

I don't do the Relic grind because I consider it tedious and a poor investment of my time when I could be doing things I do find fun. But there are others who, shockingly, DO find the Relic questline fun.

I enjoy it because it gives me poo poo to do since no one is ever on in my progression group to do Coil. Although this might have something to do with the holidays so :shrug:

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Luna Was Here posted:

I enjoy it because it gives me poo poo to do since no one is ever on in my progression group to do Coil. Although this might have something to do with the holidays so :shrug:

If your static didn't plan holiday activities around raiding then you need to find a new static.

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

merry xmas y'all.

baram. fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Dec 25, 2014

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Merry x-mas everynyan~

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2GCxXu_HJY

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
So what did the 'extra thing' for the event end up being?

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

more goddies in the cash shop it seems like

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe

:ohdear:

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

ilifinicus posted:

more goddies in the cash shop it seems like
Wow, lame. Not even a freebie in the mailbox?

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Agreeable Badger posted:

I used to play in 1.0 and just came back (really, really digging the changes that were made). The PBC forums won't let me restore my password though. Is there any way I could get an invite to the shell without going through the forum reg, or is there some other way to work around it? My ign is Hurricane Robin.

I changed the username and email associated with your old account, so just reregister

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

Harettazetta posted:

I hate RNG.
I dread doing my second zodiac weapon because of this. Is there any zodiac ls around on excal? Sac-pull AV and DD sound a lot better than full runs but setting one up would need a bit of work I think.

FaintlyQuaint
Aug 19, 2011

The king and his men.
Grimey Drawer

Fishious posted:

I don't know many tanks that go topaz over ruby, ruby is hands down better for warrior because it hits the skill speed sweet spot where you can fit an extra GCD in berserk. For PLD both have sorta terrible secondary stats but ruby is nice so you have a set for multiple jobs. It's a question of cost too, overmelding STR was more expensive than overmelding VIT when I made my set. Not so much the case right now.

I used topaz over ruby because rng mitigation is better than a guaranteed dps loss. Only for paladin, though. Ruby owns for warriors because of what you said.

Also melding topaz only cost like seven million a the time. Ruby was like double that easily.

vvv
This was cheaped out with only IVs in the first three slots. :v:

FaintlyQuaint fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Dec 25, 2014

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

I only fully melded 1 ruby ring, and that was only 4 mil (with all the vit back loaded since they were the cheapest). Had very decent rng on it though so 7 mil or more sounds reasonable yeah.

If you cheap out and only use grade IVs on the first 3 melds it should be quite a bit less. Will still take hours just to click all those buttons though.

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Klungar posted:

As a Paladin who's currently gearing up with Poetics, should I buy all of my left side pieces first before bothering with any right side, even if the accessories are BiS and the left slot are not? I currently have Head/Waist/Feet, and Wrist/Ring are supposedly BiS based off the build I've been following, but all this discussion of the last few pages has me questioning that. I've only cleared First Coil and don't have a static or any line of sight for S/FCoB, for what it is worth.

Unless you're pushing progression content, upgrade whatever you want. It's always "best" to upgrade your lowest ilvl slot first, but you don't have to if you're already i109.

Personally after hitting i100 on my PLD I started going for the Poetics gear I liked the most, so I went chest first because it's awesome looking, next were the boots since I couldn't find a glamour to work well with the chest. I had the i100 CT2 pieces for both of those and have 2 i90 slots on my left I need to replace still, but I'm not doing progression content so I don't really care. I'm doing gloves next, then pants (my last 2 i90 pieces on the left), after that I'll probably grab a ring, then finish with the head then belt. Who knows if CT3 will be out by then and that might throw my plans off but we'll see.

I'm also running the Sol sword and Poetics shield because trying to take a relic to those ilvl's at this point would take me till the expansion to do and that just feels like a waste of time.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

eh, I always check a chart and upgrade the poo poo that drops from the last turns first for my class. It kinda blows spending a weeks poe on boots and then getting the boots from T10.

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

Rei_ posted:

eh, I always check a chart and upgrade the poo poo that drops from the last turns first for my class. It kinda blows spending a weeks poe on boots and then getting the boots from T10.

Yeah, if you're doing coil it makes sense to be more careful.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Rei_ posted:

I still haven't bought my drg chest/head hoping they'll drop. Gonna try to get a t10 pug together today because my static is AWOL

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Jose Valasquez posted:

Here's a recruitment code! Use it!

6RWGXR2P

This was the last recruitment code I could find, so I used it. No idea how long I will stick with the game, but I figure at least a couple of months.

Agreeable Badger
Aug 8, 2008

Boten Anna posted:

I changed the username and email associated with your old account, so just reregister

Nice, thank you!

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Orvin posted:

This was the last recruitment code I could find, so I used it. No idea how long I will stick with the game, but I figure at least a couple of months.

Sweet! Thanks!

Come join Excalibur and hang with goons, I would have probably lost interest by now if I hadn't

Kodilynn
Sep 29, 2006
Would appear that XBOX Live and PSN are getting DDOS'd. I didn't want to play today anymore anyway.

http://www.craveonline.com/gaming/articles/804327-xbox-live-psn-face-issues-christmas-day-lizard-squad-attacks-ddos

Sigh.

Eight-Six
Oct 26, 2007

Until then, someone could use a recruitment code to try out FF14 on the PC!

GHFZU8RE

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Kodilynn posted:

Would appear that XBOX Live and PSN are getting DDOS'd. I didn't want to play today anymore anyway.

http://www.craveonline.com/gaming/articles/804327-xbox-live-psn-face-issues-christmas-day-lizard-squad-attacks-ddos

Sigh.

I managed to sneak a log in to PSN this morning and I have not logged out of ffxiv. I win, screw you PSN.

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

The Black Stones posted:

I managed to sneak a log in to PSN this morning and I have not logged out of ffxiv. I win, screw you PSN.

Yesterday, I was booted out with a message that the game's license could not be verified even though it was presumably verified at launch. :iiam: I've been unable to load the game up since.

This kind of stuff makes me consider building a little gaming PC more and more.

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

PhilippAchtel posted:

Yesterday, I was booted out with a message that the game's license could not be verified even though it was presumably verified at launch. :iiam: I've been unable to load the game up since.

This kind of stuff makes me consider building a little gaming PC more and more.

my little $600 rig runs everything just fine including this game, it is not hard to build a decent PC rig although if I could I would go back and make a few changes to my setup

Fishious
Jan 9, 2008

FaintlyQuaint posted:

I used topaz over ruby because rng mitigation is better than a guaranteed dps loss. Only for paladin, though. Ruby owns for warriors because of what you said.

Also melding topaz only cost like seven million a the time. Ruby was like double that easily.

vvv
This was cheaped out with only IVs in the first three slots. :v:

When I made my full ruby set VIT4 was 30k each while STR4 was 60k with a short supply that would cause prices to spike with bad RNG. The complete set was under 5m. In all seriousness whatever is cheaper is what I'll go for next patch but it was also a choice between a set that is incredibly marginally more useful for one tank (topaz) or a set that is league better for the more fun tank to play (ruby).

Kuai
May 25, 2004
I won a copy of FF14 on twitch today. None of my friends need it so I'm just gonna give it away. All I ask is you use my refer code. First person to leave their email to this gets it.

Velthice
Dec 12, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Fishious posted:

When I made my full ruby set VIT4 was 30k each while STR4 was 60k with a short supply that would cause prices to spike with bad RNG. The complete set was under 5m. In all seriousness whatever is cheaper is what I'll go for next patch but it was also a choice between a set that is incredibly marginally more useful for one tank (topaz) or a set that is league better for the more fun tank to play (ruby).

You don't use ruby on a paladin silly.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Kuai posted:

I won a copy of FF14 on twitch today. None of my friends need it so I'm just gonna give it away. All I ask is you use my refer code. First person to leave their email to this gets it.

Is it just like a steam key? I've got a friend that would probably play.

Kuai
May 25, 2004

SpazmasterX posted:

Is it just like a steam key? I've got a friend that would probably play.

It's from the SE store which doesn't work on steam.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Kuai posted:

It's from the SE store which doesn't work on steam.

Same difference. Shoot it to me @gmail.com

Badingading
Sep 2, 2011

It's hard to take the T5 clear cutscene seriously when you're dressed like this:

Even Alisaie seems unsettled.

FaintlyQuaint
Aug 19, 2011

The king and his men.
Grimey Drawer

Fishious posted:

When I made mine VIT IVs were around 90k and I got most of my STR IVs for 40k or less. I bought everything on the market at one point because I got impatient but it finished the melding off so worth it.

Also I think warrior is boring as poo poo to play so that was never a consideration that crossed my mind, heh.

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

Kodilynn posted:

Sigh.

The fact that I need PSN at all is frustrating. I have PC license but I only have a macbook pro to run it on...I'm not sure it'd "do" dungeons.

Systematic System
Jun 17, 2012
Obligatory: 9NKBXMHA

Fishious
Jan 9, 2008

Velthice posted:

You don't use ruby on a paladin silly.

I hope to god that DRK/WAR is a viable tank combo in the expansion because if I am forced to tank for another raid I am jumping ship so fast.

jwang
Mar 31, 2013

Fishious posted:

I hope to god that DRK/WAR is a viable tank combo in the expansion because if I am forced to tank for another raid I am jumping ship so fast.

All tank combos are viable. Whether or not it's optimal is a different story. You can still go PLDx2 or WARx2 and get a clear, it's just with 2 different tanks you get more utility, like WAR's path debuffs and PLD's STR debuff combined with its unmatched mitigation CDs. Chances are DRK is also going to bring its own utility to the table, maybe an INT debuff so you don't need to bring a MNK for Dragon Kick?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

jwang posted:

All tank combos are viable. Whether or not it's optimal is a different story. You can still go PLDx2 or WARx2 and get a clear, it's just with 2 different tanks you get more utility, like WAR's path debuffs and PLD's STR debuff combined with its unmatched mitigation CDs. Chances are DRK is also going to bring its own utility to the table, maybe an INT debuff so you don't need to bring a MNK for Dragon Kick?

Also not known are what the 51-60 skills and traits are going to be, those could have a real effect on current tanks and how they interact with Dark Knights.

• Locked thread