Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012
good? bad? both?

mario doesn't like it when you torrent his games

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrPaper
Aug 29, 2011

its okay as long as you delete the ROMs within 24 hours

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

i buy my games exclusively on cassette its the only way to be sure

MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW

DrPaper posted:

its okay as long as you delete the ROMs within 24 hours

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
you wouldn't download a car

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Its OK if you use it as a trial when devs don't offer one

If you play a game much past this then you should buy it

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
i think it's important for companies to protect their intellectual property but it is also important to steal poo poo

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider
Don't bother with the spinning wheel caps DLC

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

Don't copy that floppy.

Cannonballoon
Jul 25, 2007

Mercury Crusader posted:

the f*ck I wouldn't

Seshoho Cian
Jul 26, 2010

I figured Nintendo was pro-piracy considering the cast of Wind Waker

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?

Eonwe posted:

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Seshoho Cian posted:

I figured Nintendo was pro-piracy considering the cast of Wind Waker

obstipator
Nov 8, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
the only people that still pirate games today are kids without a credit card. steam makes it super easy to buy and play games so imo as long as you have funds you shouldnt pirate games. ubisoft goes way overboard with piracy and makes their games suck tho. earthbound, now thats a game that handled piracy correctly. oh and arkham asylum was good to. someone find the post a goon got banned for where he was stuck in the middle of nowhere when he pressed F

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

I pirated Ace Attorney Investigations 2, and I'd do it again.

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

I try to buy any and all games that I enjoy. For some games that isn't an option, though.

mabels big day posted:

I pirated Ace Attorney Investigations 2, and I'd do it again.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

Silver Striker posted:

I try to buy any and all games that I enjoy. For some games that isn't an option, though.

Same here. But if people are poors and can't afford games but still want to play Far Cry 4, I don't really have a problem with that, I guess. The whole "every pirated download = a lost sale" argument I think has been disproven, by now.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010

THE PENETRATOR posted:

i think it's important for companies to protect their intellectual property but it is also important to steal poo poo

Sir John Feelgood
Nov 18, 2009

He doesn't look very "welcome"

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

Finster Dexter posted:

Same here. But if people are poors and can't afford games but still want to play Far Cry 4, I don't really have a problem with that, I guess. The whole "every pirated download = a lost sale" argument I think has been disproven, by now.

Yeah, it's certainly not that simple. There are plenty of games I pirated as a poor kid that I wouldn't have bought otherwise. Nowadays I hardly pirate anymore, but back then I used it as a way to try games out.

It's also a lot different if you pirate something like Call of Duty which is going to sell like 10 million copies vs something that would be lucky to break 500k.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

i also have pirated a number of DS games including the japanese elite beat agents. i regret pirating ghost trick, however, because i should have bought that.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Sometimes pirating is the only way to get cool games over from glorious Nippon

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
I imported both Ouendan games for the DS back in the day and also that Tingle game that only made it to Europe. Thanks, internet.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Mercury Crusader posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALZZx1xmAzg

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Eonwe posted:

If your going to get yourself something for free you should actually just do it, and not have stupid rear end hosed up morals about it. Thread locked.

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003
no need to pirate games when all the wii u titles i own are stamped with the nintendo seal of quality, OP!

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

I can't wait to click this youtube of a clip from one of the worst TV shows of all time.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

mysterious loyall X posted:

no need to pirate games when all the wii u titles i own are stamped with the nintendo seal of quality, OP!

This, as well.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Wormskull posted:

I can't wait to click this youtube of a clip from one of the worst TV shows of all time.
i remembered seeing that clip, thought it was from some random sketch show, searched it on youtube and was disappointed it was the IT crowd

still posted it though :c00l:

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Don't copy that floppy

MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW
Just letting everyone know it is okay to pirate mother 3 and edgeworth game #2 because they are Extremely Worth Playing and you won't get to otherwise

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?

obstipator posted:

the only people that still pirate games today are kids without a credit card. steam makes it super easy to buy and play games so imo as long as you have funds you shouldnt pirate games. ubisoft goes way overboard with piracy and makes their games suck tho. earthbound, now thats a game that handled piracy correctly. oh and arkham asylum was good to. someone find the post a goon got banned for where he was stuck in the middle of nowhere when he pressed F

this is a very true post, but one time I had a wisdom tooth removed and I was playing Earthbound on my PSP and it didn't handle the SRAM correctly, so I both had the Giygas save wipe and the significantly more enemies thing. I kept noticing I was overlevelled for bosses and couldn't figure out why!

cool antipiracy is really neat to look at. Spyro 3 had good protection:
http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/3030/keeping_the_pirates_at_bay.php

a definite thing to pirate and not feel bad about is a game that's never being brought to the US that has a translation

let's be real though nobody feels bad about piracy

i think steam's convenience is why i completely stopped pc piracy

Doctor Goat fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Dec 25, 2014

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002
pirating takes up, like, twice as much hard drive space, too. It's just not worth it when Steam exists, imo

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
well steam probably seems like a good anti-piracy thing because you probably turned about ~20 +/- by the time it matured into an actual dece platform which coincided when you started having some income. plus you're like ehh cool i can reinstall it easily at any point instead of figuring out what fltsrha2311.iso was an dealing with poo poo that goes unupdated after launch is more trouble now than your time is worth.

if you're still <18, you probably pirate poo poo, steam or not. i still actually download movies that aren't on netflix which is my only guilty-illegal thing I do besides speed :twisted:

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I pirated dishonored to see if it would run on my PC, and it did, so I bought it during a steam sale, but having steam run in the background used up enough cpu so that dishonored ran at like 10 fps. I uninstalled it the same day and haven't touched it since

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
I downloaded Borderlands Pre-Sequel while hanging out with Hemick and his roommate and it took like a half hour to set up for LAN play and i kept thing "ugh, if only i could buy this, it'd work easier"

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
I own Super Metroid on the SNES and the Wii VC and the Wii U VC but I pirated it anyway to have it on every possible platform

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012
sometimes, I torrent videogames then delete them and torrent them again repeatedly if i don't like the creator

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Mercury Crusader posted:

Man rolls up in a car woth an open window. "I would if I could.... Bitch!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cannonballoon
Jul 25, 2007

Pewdiepie posted:

Man rolls up in a car woth an open window. "I would if I could.... Bitch!"

• Locked thread