Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."

ImpAtom posted:

I'd take a look at Mana Khemia and perhaps the Atelier Iris series. They're JRPGs with a crafting mechanics and a pretty fun combat system based around manipulating turn time. They're probably pretty rare at this point (although MK has a pretty-lovely PSP port) but they're quite fun. They also have a spinoff series called Ar Tonelico but that is heavy on the skeavy fanservice and the second game's translation was so bad the company apologized for it.

The only reason the port is "lovely" is because of the loading times. This is no longer the case with emulation or even a hacked PSP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Tae posted:

VC1 doesn't seem that gritty or shat upon, but then again I played VC3 first which basically put you on a death squad just for looking at a commander wrong. Welkin never got repeated murder plots against him and still had supplies whenever he wanted.

Late in the game the original plan for a mission is "get behind the militia and let them die so the soldiers can push forward". Not to mention ops like the beach push where they'd have all died horribly if Isara hadn't invented smoke rounds.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

RadicalR posted:

The only reason the port is "lovely" is because of the loading times. This is no longer the case with emulation or even a hacked PSP.

No, it also has incredibly bad texture compression so that things look super-blurry even compared to the PS2 version, and if you're going to emulate you should get the PS2 version anyway. Also IIRC the PS2 version has the option for Japanese voices but the PSP one doesn't due to size constraints.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

bloodychill posted:

Oh yeah, nice catch. I must never have played 4 then. Guess I'll correct that at some point.

IV is really good. Not quite as good as 3, overall, but very good. The combat system is better tuned, IMO but my biggest complaint is that they stopped using sprites for big enemies and bosses so they look like PS1-era polygonal messes. It has Ershin and Scias though, and they make up for pretty much any shortcoming the game has.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Levantine posted:

IV is really good. Not quite as good as 3, overall, but very good. The combat system is better tuned, IMO but my biggest complaint is that they stopped using sprites for big enemies and bosses so they look like PS1-era polygonal messes. It has Ershin and Scias though, and they make up for pretty much any shortcoming the game has.

I admit they mostly looked pretty jaggy,, but I liked that the bosses were polygons. It helped to make them stand out more from the regular enemies.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."

ImpAtom posted:

No, it also has incredibly bad texture compression so that things look super-blurry even compared to the PS2 version, and if you're going to emulate you should get the PS2 version anyway. Also IIRC the PS2 version has the option for Japanese voices but the PSP one doesn't due to size constraints.

Oh. Well, I didn't know about the texture compression. I stand corrected. v:shobon:v

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

RadicalR posted:

Oh. Well, I didn't know about the texture compression. I stand corrected. v:shobon:v

Well, it's also the easiest version to actually play since it is available legitimately on the PSN and stuff, so it's worth noting that!

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
It's also the only way to play it in Europe! Shame everything looks like somebody badly removed the backgrounds in a GIF.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Late in the game the original plan for a mission is "get behind the militia and let them die so the soldiers can push forward". Not to mention ops like the beach push where they'd have all died horribly if Isara hadn't invented smoke rounds.

But he's not actively trying to murder Welkin, he's just a bad general. The main antagonist literally sends the Nameless to a remote desert place, only to ambush and surround him with Gallian soldiers specifically to kill him. And he would've died if not for Reala..

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

Well, it's also the easiest version to actually play since it is available legitimately on the PSN and stuff, so it's worth noting that!

The data install feature is bugged on the Vita. You have to install it on a PSP and transfer the file over from your PS3 or PC to the Vita. Without it, a lot of sound effects (and all the voice acting, but that might be a positive for some) are missing.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mill Village posted:

The data install feature is bugged on the Vita. You have to install it on a PSP and transfer the file over from your PS3 or PC to the Vita. Without it, a lot of sound effects (and all the voice acting, but that might be a positive for some) are missing.

That's really bizarre because I played it on my Vita and it worked fine, but I've heard other people say that too.

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated

ImpAtom posted:

That's really bizarre because I played it on my Vita and it worked fine, but I've heard other people say that too.

It played fine for me as well. I did run that install option. Thing is it's $10 on PSN and $50+ on eBay. Hence the PSN version. Loading didn't seem too bad for me on Vita but I am not too picky about that. It wasn't say Chrono Trigger bad for sure.

FYI: P4Q SE is only $64.99 new at videogamesplus.ca. Deciding if I should buy or not since I won't get to it for a few months...

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
How is Sword Art Online: Hollow Fragment? I was hoping Y's would be compatible with the PSTV by now but since it isn't, I kind of want another RPG. The combat looks pretty fun from what I've seen.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Levantine posted:

How is Sword Art Online: Hollow Fragment? I was hoping Y's would be compatible with the PSTV by now but since it isn't, I kind of want another RPG. The combat looks pretty fun from what I've seen.

The biggest thing to note about SAO is that the translation is literally machine translated. I don't mean just a bad translation, I mean a translation they should feel embarrassed to ask you to pay for.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Combat is decent, game is kind of grindy which is either a plus or a minus depending on if you want something that lasts a long time, moderate amounts of waifuism, and yeah, the game is almost incomprehensible.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
The translation is definitely a thing. I think I've seen that mentioned in every review of the game so it must be terrible. It was on sale a couple weeks ago and I missed out so I'm not sure I want to pay 40 bucks for it. It looks like my kind of grind though. Does the anime waifu stuff get as awkward as the "Sister Love Kirito" arc in the show?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Levantine posted:

The translation is definitely a thing. I think I've seen that mentioned in every review of the game so it must be terrible. It was on sale a couple weeks ago and I missed out so I'm not sure I want to pay 40 bucks for it. It looks like my kind of grind though. Does the anime waifu stuff get as awkward as the "Sister Love Kirito" arc in the show?

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Reminds me of the old days when I'd buy HK english subbed anime VHS/DVDs for cheap. That's majestic.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

ImpAtom posted:

otoh psp emulation is way easier and faster than ps2

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

On the other other hand, even emulated it still has lag issues out the rear end.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
rpg thread you must be exhausted penetrating!!!!

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

What the heck is this one? I don't recognize it.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
I wanna say that's Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together, but I may be misremembering the UI.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

its not

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

bloodychill posted:

But they did make sequels and we got 3rd Birthday, a ho-hum game with a story that sort of made you want to have its writer arrested.

I'm a day late on this one but, would you like who that wonderful writer is?
The wonderful man who brought us Lightning, Toriyama himself. Shoulda seen his stench all over that game.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

DARKSEID DICK PICS posted:

I wanna say that's Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together, but I may be misremembering the UI.

Good god, were you blackout drunk?

Teslavi
May 28, 2006
Ridiculous.

Prism posted:

What the heck is this one? I don't recognize it.

Ragnarok Tactics, a pretty terrible tactics spinoff of Ragnarok Online.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Tae posted:

Good god, were you blackout drunk?

I didn't play very far.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Levantine posted:

. Does the anime waifu stuff get as awkward as the "Sister Love Kirito" arc in the show?
Leafa is in the game but you don't have to take her in your party.

If you really want to avoid the waifu stuff all together you can just make Klein your permanent buddy, and if you want to stick to ~canon~ you can just use Asuna.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Teslavi posted:

Ragnarok Tactics, a pretty terrible tactics spinoff of Ragnarok Online.

as an srpg it seems fairly solid mechanically :shrug:

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
So getting started on the Suikoden series thanks to the release of II on PSN. I'm enjoying the first one, but holy loving poo poo whoever designed the item and party management needs to die. I think it took me about 6+ minutes to switch the crystal equipped to one character, and that's when I had easy access to my home base. It's terrible even compared to NES games, so something so clunky and obnoxious on the Playstation is pretty terrible. I sure hope that improves in the second game.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

It improves... a little. So many characters in a PS1 game means management is gonna be a little clunky, but that's been one of the series' biggest failings: switching out characters should be the highlight of the game, but it's always been a bit of a hassle. Even 5 doesn't solve the problem.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Endorph posted:

It improves... a little. So many characters in a PS1 game means management is gonna be a little clunky, but that's been one of the series' biggest failings: switching out characters should be the highlight of the game, but it's always been a bit of a hassle. Even 5 doesn't solve the problem.

So much of the issue could be dealt with by just being able to equip and unequip the crystals by yourself, without having to hunt down a store that's only available in some towns (and as of right now, not available in my base). I was testing out a character that came equipped with a lovely crystal, so I wanted to switch to a different one. I had to leave what I was doing and hike across the map to a town that has the right store, and unequip the crystal. Then I had to hike over to the town that lets me access my boat, which I have to row across the lake to get to my base, then go through my base to my item vault manager. Find out the crystal I want is not there, because it's still equipped on someone else. So then I have to find my character-switching guy (mind you, the entire layout of my base just changed for some reason and I have no idea where everyone is now). I find him, have to boot out one character and add in the one with the crystal I want. Now I leave the base, row back across the lake, head out of the town, hike back to the OTHER town that has the crystal manager, get her to unequip the crystal from the one character and attach it to the other character. Now to head out of that town, hike back across the map to the town on the lake, row back across the lake, head back to the character switcher to boot the one character out and put my original character back in, dump the unwanted crystal at my vault manager, leave the base, row back across the loving lake again, head back through the town, and hike back across the map to where I was going in the first place. Holy gently caress.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

It's a PS1 RPG, so eventually you get a way of traversing the world map that's faster than just hiking, but the problem still exists.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Levantine posted:

Im with Neddy Seagoon on this, I actually think the bosses I've seen so far benefit from getting the 3D models. And for ps1 era, they look pretty dang good. I am playing on a ps3 though, so I don't know if there's any polygon smoothing involved.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

MockingQuantum posted:

Im with Neddy Seagoon on this, I actually think the bosses I've seen so far benefit from getting the 3D models. And for ps1 era, they look pretty dang good. I am playing on a ps3 though, so I don't know if there's any polygon smoothing involved.

Yeah, I just don't think they've aged as well. Compare this:

to this

Despite the poor quality of the screenshot, I just think the first has aged better. Different strokes and all. I do think the character sprites in BOFIV look better overall though. Mostly Scias. Scias is great.

Levantine fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Dec 25, 2014

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

[quote="Levantine" post=""439395609","]
Despite the poor quality of the screenshot, I just think the first has aged better. Different strokes and all. I do think the character sprites in BOFIV look better overall though. Mostly Scias. Scias is great.
[/quote]

Oh, I definitely agree that the sprites age better, but as someone who is seeing them the first time, they're a beck of a lot better looking than a lot of ps1 games. They do look especially good in motion too. I think regardless, the game combines the two well, stylistically speaking. I'm looking forward to actually seeing this Scias character everyone says is so great. Also the other one, that half the people I talk to seem to despise.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
sprites age well but can't really be up scaled really well like 3d models from ps2 games for example

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012
just got to the second disc of Xenosaga 3 and oh man, things are going in an... interesting direction. this game's plot is ridiculously fast paced, I'm impressed.