Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

Korra mentions it when she and the airbender kids are traveling to Zaofu. It's why she thinks she can reason with Kuvira.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

captain innocuous posted:

I wanted the show to at least mention once in the last season that it was kuvira that saved tonraq's life. But I can't recall if they did. That would have been nice.

They did.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

I wanted the show to at least mention once in the last season that it was kuvira that saved tonraq's life. But I can't recall if they did. That would have been nice.

I thought they did, at the least Korra mentioned it once as a reason for why she was reluctant to do anything to Kuvira.

Did Tonraq show up at all in the finale?

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Let's lighten the mood with something I found on Tumblr.

Merry Christmas everyone!

captain innocuous
Apr 7, 2009
Oh, well I guess I have no complaints then.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

DrSunshine posted:

Let's lighten the mood with something I found on Tumblr.

Merry Christmas everyone!
Picture's the wrong way around considering the perspective it'd be if she took a selfie, ruined

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I was just about to post this

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
I think too many complaints have been made about the Korrsami ending and not nearly enough with how bad the pairing of Varric and Zhu Li was. Seriously, when they fell on top of each other -- what a cliched way to hint at a romance --, I went "are we really doing this?" It honestly felt like it was just there to appease shippers. It got a little better as the season went on, but, honestly, in the last few seasons did you ever think, even for a moment, that the two had any feelings for each other? Doubt it. Varric was her boss and she was his assistant. The fact she followed him to jail was, in my opinion, part of the same joke as Varric getting a lavish jail cell. On a related point, maybe it's just the fiction I read, but why can't a man and woman be together on screen alot and not have a romantic feelings bloom between them? It might be selection bias and there are exceptions, but it feels like it's rare to see a man and woman spend a lot of time together and have the relationship be completely platonic without either side getting feelings for one another. Am I just seeing a pattern that isn't there?

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Zhu Li obviously looked up to, and had feelings for, Varric throughout the run of the series, even if it seemed a little Stockholm-y. Varric's turn was a little less believable, but the show made it clear that Zhu Li's threat was the kick in the rear end that made him reassess his relationship with her. Its dumb and cliched, but it still wasn't the rear end pull Korassami was.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
The wedding was really bad and my eyes rolled at it.

On the other hand Varrick, Bolin, and Zhu Li were the only characters I gave a poo poo about at that point so I felt actually conflicted. :v:

Surprisingly Dope
Jan 12, 2011

Lope burgs again

Korra mentioned it before she met with Kuvira the first time.

King of Foolians
Mar 16, 2006
Long live the King!
Seeing as how this thread is getting worse and worse and will be closed soon, I thought it was about time to post my own thoughts on the Korra finale and series in general.

I will admit, I was very apprehensive going into the finale. I had really enjoyed all of the Legend of Korra up until then (I am apparently in the minority of people that liked the end of book 1, especially when I thought it was only going to be a stand-alone season). But I thought that a giant mech/robot as the ultimate threat was lame and unrealistic and did not fit the setting at all. After watching the finale twice now I am very pleased with it and very happy with how the series has ended. Someday we will get more Avatar stories in this universe but for now, I like how the creators left it.

I'll try not to rehash stuff other people have already posted but here's some random thoughts I had during the finale:
-I loved the idea of the airbenders using paint to blind the mech, too bad Kuvira had cleaning water jets, which was amazingly foresighted of her. But when the water started cleaning the mech I thought that Korra should have used that water to either attack the mech or ice over the glass. Either way I think dropping Korra on top of the mech's head would have enabled her to wreck it more than just trying a team effort to tip it over.
-Speaking of ice, when Asami and dad were cutting into the mech, I hope I wasn't the only one screaming “More ice, Korra, use more ice!”
-Varrik grew up on a farm, with ostrich-horses? I thought he was from the Southern Water Tribe?
-I liked that they showed Pema doing something besides being pregnant/holding a baby, but I hated the whole Prince Wu singing to badgermoles thing. They could have shown him being a competent leader so many other ways than that. I would have rather heard more airbender songs about lemurs or at least a reprise of 'Secret Tunnel!', which is presumably an Earth Kingdom folk song, (but perhaps that would have been a little too much fanservice).

I have really loved this show and seeing the creative ways technology has changed and evolved from ATLA, but I kinda wish they had kept the technology grounded in 1920-1940s era. I liked seeing radios and early automobiles in Republic City but even in Book 1 we quickly jumped to shock gloves and platinum mech suits and finally ended with an enormous kaiju robot. For me the show is most successful when the creators focused on the bending, which is what sets it apart from other shows. To me that's why Book 3 was the best, both the protagonists and antagonists were all just badass benders. The other seasons seemed too caught up in social justice, or nonsensical civil wars, PTSD or stopping Kuvira's war machine. And the Red Lotus was cool because except for Ghazan's lava they were all doing things we had seen in bending before (water tentacles, combustion bending, offensive airbending), just in new and creative ways. That's why I thought the B4 finale worked well, because it showed a bunch of badass benders working together. I thought metalbending was kinda cool but got a little repetitive since it's mostly people shooting strips of metal at other people, except for the handful of times a Beifong ripped off a huge piece and did something badass with it, or Kuvira's liquid meteor metal.

I don't think this show was completely without flaws but I think a lot of the issues with pacing and one-dimentional characters had to do with too-short seasons and the show getting renewed at awkward times. I still think that Book 2 had the highest stakes with the possible end of the Avatar Cycle. In my perfect fantasy of what this show could have been I think it could have worked nicely as:
Book 1 – the fight against Amon and the fight for 'equality'
Book 2 – the fight against Red Lotus and against anarchy (introduce Wan earlier)
Book 3 – the fight against Kuvira and totalitarianism, Earth Kingdom becomes Empire (Korra seeks advise from previous Avatars)
Book 4 – Show Korra helping create Earth Federation, Unalaaq appears to preach the gospel of the spirits and the show ends with Harmonic Convergence. Korra loses connection to past lives but spirits have returned to the physical world and Korra begins a new Avatar Cycle.

Of course, this only could have happened if the creators knew the show was going to be 4 seasons long at the beginning, which they didn't. I think they did the best they could and I have enjoyed the ride, but I was surprised at the end when I realized all the plot threads from the end of Book 3 that weren't followed up on in Book 4 since those seasons were ordered at the same time. I wish they had shown us more of:

-The Red Lotus. In book 3 Zaheer makes it clear that he is not the leader and that the Red Lotus is everywhere. Tenzin and Raiko seemed super worried about them at the end of B3, Zaheer even name-drops the leader but they never appear in B4. It wouldn't taken more than a few lines to say what made Kuvira's approach so dictator-ish was due to terrorist attacks by the Red Lotus.

-The Airbenders helping maintain peace in the Earth Kingdom. Except for Kai and Opal getting owned in the first episode of B4 and some vague comments about being stretched too thin we really don't see airbenders doing anything in B4. And by this point Kuvira has 90% of the Earth Kingdom already locked in so there is even a smaller chunk the airbenders would have to patrol. I would have loved to see Jinora (as the only other airbending master) take a more decisive role as possible field general, rather than just hanging out at home with her siblings. I also didn't mind the flying squirrel suits, especially since it showed how airbenders are no longer strictly holding onto the past but I wish we had seen them only wear them when they were 'on duty' and otherwise shown them in robes. I especially can't believe that Tenzin, who has worn robes for 40-50 years would wear one all the time.

-Every season could have benefited from a villain-centered episode. Kuvira and the RL especially could have been fleshed out a bit if we had seen more of their backstory and how they came to be how they are.

-Korra having amnesia in B2. When they ended the episode with her not knowing who she is I thought it was a great idea to have someone with amazing power and abilities suddenly not know who they are or who to trust. Too bad they immediately fix the issue, although this gets a bit of a pass for giving us the best 2 (in my opinion) episodes.

I will say that (as a gay man), I really liked the last few minutes of the finale and I definitely didn't see it coming. My jaw was on the floor when it ended with Korra and Asami together and I thought it was well done and progressive without shoving anything down anyone's throat. Too bad a lot of other people disagree. I have never seen so many people so invested in who ends up with who in a fictitious relationship on a childrens cartoon. It frankly scares me a little. And I Hate, Hate, Hate the practice of merging 2 names together as short-hand for a couple. I think it started with Brad and Angelina and now it is EVERYWHERE and I hate it. The only thing I hate about 'Korrasami' is the name.

I have loved this show and am sorry it's over but this thread is/was terrible and I won't be too sorry to see it go. At it's best we got good discussion of themes and characters, but at it's worst we got genderbending hate troll posting.

But to contribute to the current topic: for ATLA I will say my favorite character is either Toph, Zuko or Iroh. Least favorite was Jet
Favorite episode was The Chase, for relationship advancement between Katara/Toph, and awesome showdown in the ghost town.

For Korra: favorite character is Korra, just because we see so much of her journey, or maybe Lin
Least favorite is Mako for being so boring and blah
Favorite episode(s): Beginnings pt. 1 and 2 (the Wan episodes) because I love the mythology/backstory of where bending and the Avatar comes from.
Least favorite: the clip episode (duh)

Akumos
Sep 10, 2006

Smoothrich posted:

Haha. Now how do you think people who aren't white hetero males feel about television and movies?

I'm not one to parrot sjw talking points but that's too perfect an example.

I actually liked this point because I posted it myself before and considered it. The only good thing that came out of the ending for me was realizing how arbitrary hetero relationships are and that they're just thrown in randomly a lot too.

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son

King of Foolians posted:

Seeing as how this thread is getting worse and worse and will be closed soon, I thought it was about time to post my own thoughts on the Korra finale and series in general.

I will admit, I was very apprehensive going into the finale. I had really enjoyed all of the Legend of Korra up until then (I am apparently in the minority of people that liked the end of book 1, especially when I thought it was only going to be a stand-alone season). But I thought that a giant mech/robot as the ultimate threat was lame and unrealistic and did not fit the setting at all. After watching the finale twice now I am very pleased with it and very happy with how the series has ended. Someday we will get more Avatar stories in this universe but for now, I like how the creators left it.

I'll try not to rehash stuff other people have already posted but here's some random thoughts I had during the finale:
-I loved the idea of the airbenders using paint to blind the mech, too bad Kuvira had cleaning water jets, which was amazingly foresighted of her. But when the water started cleaning the mech I thought that Korra should have used that water to either attack the mech or ice over the glass. Either way I think dropping Korra on top of the mech's head would have enabled her to wreck it more than just trying a team effort to tip it over.
-Speaking of ice, when Asami and dad were cutting into the mech, I hope I wasn't the only one screaming “More ice, Korra, use more ice!”
-Varrik grew up on a farm, with ostrich-horses? I thought he was from the Southern Water Tribe?
-I liked that they showed Pema doing something besides being pregnant/holding a baby, but I hated the whole Prince Wu singing to badgermoles thing. They could have shown him being a competent leader so many other ways than that. I would have rather heard more airbender songs about lemurs or at least a reprise of 'Secret Tunnel!', which is presumably an Earth Kingdom folk song, (but perhaps that would have been a little too much fanservice).

I have really loved this show and seeing the creative ways technology has changed and evolved from ATLA, but I kinda wish they had kept the technology grounded in 1920-1940s era. I liked seeing radios and early automobiles in Republic City but even in Book 1 we quickly jumped to shock gloves and platinum mech suits and finally ended with an enormous kaiju robot. For me the show is most successful when the creators focused on the bending, which is what sets it apart from other shows. To me that's why Book 3 was the best, both the protagonists and antagonists were all just badass benders. The other seasons seemed too caught up in social justice, or nonsensical civil wars, PTSD or stopping Kuvira's war machine. And the Red Lotus was cool because except for Ghazan's lava they were all doing things we had seen in bending before (water tentacles, combustion bending, offensive airbending), just in new and creative ways. That's why I thought the B4 finale worked well, because it showed a bunch of badass benders working together. I thought metalbending was kinda cool but got a little repetitive since it's mostly people shooting strips of metal at other people, except for the handful of times a Beifong ripped off a huge piece and did something badass with it, or Kuvira's liquid meteor metal.

I don't think this show was completely without flaws but I think a lot of the issues with pacing and one-dimentional characters had to do with too-short seasons and the show getting renewed at awkward times. I still think that Book 2 had the highest stakes with the possible end of the Avatar Cycle. In my perfect fantasy of what this show could have been I think it could have worked nicely as:
Book 1 – the fight against Amon and the fight for 'equality'
Book 2 – the fight against Red Lotus and against anarchy (introduce Wan earlier)
Book 3 – the fight against Kuvira and totalitarianism, Earth Kingdom becomes Empire (Korra seeks advise from previous Avatars)
Book 4 – Show Korra helping create Earth Federation, Unalaaq appears to preach the gospel of the spirits and the show ends with Harmonic Convergence. Korra loses connection to past lives but spirits have returned to the physical world and Korra begins a new Avatar Cycle.

Of course, this only could have happened if the creators knew the show was going to be 4 seasons long at the beginning, which they didn't. I think they did the best they could and I have enjoyed the ride, but I was surprised at the end when I realized all the plot threads from the end of Book 3 that weren't followed up on in Book 4 since those seasons were ordered at the same time. I wish they had shown us more of:

-The Red Lotus. In book 3 Zaheer makes it clear that he is not the leader and that the Red Lotus is everywhere. Tenzin and Raiko seemed super worried about them at the end of B3, Zaheer even name-drops the leader but they never appear in B4. It wouldn't taken more than a few lines to say what made Kuvira's approach so dictator-ish was due to terrorist attacks by the Red Lotus.

-The Airbenders helping maintain peace in the Earth Kingdom. Except for Kai and Opal getting owned in the first episode of B4 and some vague comments about being stretched too thin we really don't see airbenders doing anything in B4. And by this point Kuvira has 90% of the Earth Kingdom already locked in so there is even a smaller chunk the airbenders would have to patrol. I would have loved to see Jinora (as the only other airbending master) take a more decisive role as possible field general, rather than just hanging out at home with her siblings. I also didn't mind the flying squirrel suits, especially since it showed how airbenders are no longer strictly holding onto the past but I wish we had seen them only wear them when they were 'on duty' and otherwise shown them in robes. I especially can't believe that Tenzin, who has worn robes for 40-50 years would wear one all the time.

-Every season could have benefited from a villain-centered episode. Kuvira and the RL especially could have been fleshed out a bit if we had seen more of their backstory and how they came to be how they are.

-Korra having amnesia in B2. When they ended the episode with her not knowing who she is I thought it was a great idea to have someone with amazing power and abilities suddenly not know who they are or who to trust. Too bad they immediately fix the issue, although this gets a bit of a pass for giving us the best 2 (in my opinion) episodes.

I will say that (as a gay man), I really liked the last few minutes of the finale and I definitely didn't see it coming. My jaw was on the floor when it ended with Korra and Asami together and I thought it was well done and progressive without shoving anything down anyone's throat. Too bad a lot of other people disagree. I have never seen so many people so invested in who ends up with who in a fictitious relationship on a childrens cartoon. It frankly scares me a little. And I Hate, Hate, Hate the practice of merging 2 names together as short-hand for a couple. I think it started with Brad and Angelina and now it is EVERYWHERE and I hate it. The only thing I hate about 'Korrasami' is the name.

I have loved this show and am sorry it's over but this thread is/was terrible and I won't be too sorry to see it go. At it's best we got good discussion of themes and characters, but at it's worst we got genderbending hate troll posting.

But to contribute to the current topic: for ATLA I will say my favorite character is either Toph, Zuko or Iroh. Least favorite was Jet
Favorite episode was The Chase, for relationship advancement between Katara/Toph, and awesome showdown in the ghost town.

For Korra: favorite character is Korra, just because we see so much of her journey, or maybe Lin
Least favorite is Mako for being so boring and blah
Favorite episode(s): Beginnings pt. 1 and 2 (the Wan episodes) because I love the mythology/backstory of where bending and the Avatar comes from.
Least favorite: the clip episode (duh)

:agreed:

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

King of Foolians posted:

This is a good post and I choose to remember this thread for posts like this and nothing else.

I actually think your suggestion of changing the seasons around would work quite well - Unalaq would almost HAVE to be more interesting, if he comes in the wake of Zaheer and Kuvira -, but I feel it works better this way. I like that the stakes didn't just rise every time, but that the story rather got more and more personal.

Also, I kinda have to agree that S3 focused on what this show is best at: MAGICAL KUNGFU, ALL THE TIME. While metalbending is wicked cool when the bigshots do it (Kuvira, Su, Korra, Su's sons), it got rather samey when the lackeys were doing it. I feel like S4 would've profited from some elite mooks to provide even more insane magical kungfu; not outright superbenders, but just more characters involved. Not any complex stuff - the Red Lotus besides Zaheer certainly wasn't -, just more examples of crazy bending to go up against. I absolutely adore the whole fight against the Colossus, and we got some superb fight sequences inside the Colossus (the engineers could've been named dudes with signature styles...), so I'm still more than satisfied. Still... I'm not asking for all-out anime with a million named fighters smashing their power levels against each other, just a few more prominent enemies. The whole season felt like Kuvira & Bataar Jr. vs. everybody else, I'd liked to have seen some more antagonists on Kuvira's side.

Regarding the last few minutes which have apparently exploded tumblr and this thread: guess I have a very similar reaction! I think it's a very nice end, I didn't expect the creators to actually do it, but it felt very appropriate and - most of all! - respectful. I was getting into this thread, expecting everyone to flip out over the incredibly awesome Colossus fight and airbender swarms and lava disks and Mako actually having a cool moment and dammmnnn. Guess my priorities are just somewhere else.

That being said, I demand that everyone flip out over the incredibly awesome Colossus fight before this thread is shut down. :colbert:

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
The colossus fight was ruined for me once it became clear Korra was just trying to get close enough to french Kuvira.

(it was a cool fight, probably the best in the series despite not being as flashy as her fight against baldy last season)

Irish Joe fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Dec 26, 2014

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I definitely like book 3 the most, even if there were things that I...liked better?...from all other books. Does that make sense? Book 1 had great worldbuilding and animation, book 2 had the Wan, book 4 had the best arc for Korra.

But book 1 dropped the ball on the Equalist plot which was its greatest initual strength, book 2's overall story was weak and bloated and featured the absolute worst of Mako, Bolin, and Lin all at once, while book 4 suffered production-wise and was -- to be completely brutally honest -- probably the most boring season overall. I've been rewatching it with a friend (this is her first time watching) and there are big stretches where both of us just kinda zoned out. Book 3 simply had the best overall quality and the most solid storytelling.

In closing! If there's one thing I hope the creators take away from this experience, it's that while the wingsuits do look cool, they really need to give airbenders collapsible staffs, Robin-style.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
What the heck how wasn't S3 as political if not more than the other seasons? It was about a bunch of magical kung fu criminals attempting to destroy established powers structures by assassinating political and spiritual leaders. S4 happens completely because the Earth Queen is assassinated.

That being said it had more bending fights by the virtue of having multiple poweful benders as the main antagonists and that's kinda the main draw of the show in the first place. Anyone antsing for some cyberpunk or whatever Avatar is missing the point of most people wanting to see more magical kung fu involving bending the elements than dumb second rate mecha fights.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
I'm kinda with a lot of the people in this thread that the Korrasami thing was kinda rushed. What it needed was Aang's force ghost to reappear, along with the all the other reincarnations, and go on a twenty-minute long speech that ended with them chanting, "KISS, KISS, KISS, KISS." Much more subtle, much more poignant. Maybe have Korra shed a single tear before she holds Asami's hand.

Iron Twinkie
Apr 20, 2001

BOOP

To an extent I can understand why people didn't like the ending for coming out of no where. But even though it was delivered with all the subtley of a brick thrown through a window with PLOT painted on the side, so was pretty much everything else in the last season. I don't think S4 was anywhere near as bad as S2 at "Authentic Dialog presented by Actual Humans" but it wasn't anywhere near as good as season 3 which was incredibly well paced and tightly written not just by LoK standards.

I really hope the next project Bryan and Mike put their energies into play to their strengths which in my opinion are world building and telling stories with obviously good protagonists working towards goals, obviously bad antagonist working in opposition, with frequent opportunities for light hearted humor. As much as I like and want something harder, political, and with a little more shades of grey, they've really been at their best in LoK when they are world building and developing interesting characters within a more traditional framework. If they hint as much as they can get away with that a pair of characters are in a same sex relationship or if one of the characters was raised by their really cool "aunts" then that is just a bonus :3:.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

If season four had been focused on Vaatu instead of two, we never would've seen the reemergence of air benders. However, I do think seasons three and two could've swapped places.

Bishop Rodan
Dec 5, 2011

See you in the funny papers, liebchen!

Iron Twinkie posted:

But even though it was delivered with all the subtley of a brick thrown

Speaking of,

I was searching in vain for that image with gently caress OFF on it, so I made it myself.

That scene still cracks me up.

King of Foolians
Mar 16, 2006
Long live the King!

Nichael posted:

If season four had been focused on Vaatu instead of two, we never would've seen the reemergence of air benders. However, I do think seasons three and two could've swapped places.

Ehh, they could easily make it so that when Korra unlocked her own airbending at the end of B1, it magically unlocked it in random other people. Or just make it happen without explanation. It would make about as much sense as it happening because of "Harmonic Convergence".

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Irish Joe posted:

Why are you dealing with it now? Being OP doesn't give you any added responsibilities or authority, you weirdo.
Upon reading this, MrAristocrates came down with a heavy fever, during which he dreamt that he looked in the mirror and saw not his own face, but mine.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Upon reading this, MrAristocrates came down with a heavy fever, during which he dreamt that he looked in the mirror and saw not his own face, but mine.

I was wondering where this new lovely poster suddenly popped up from. Didn't realize until now someone got you a new avatar and title.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug
Whatever flaws Book 2 might have, its place in the overall arc is one of its great strengths. Korra isn't some shonen anime about a progression of more and more powerful threats she must hone her fighting skills to overcome, it doesn't need to have the big super spirit and end of age events happen at the final climax. A lot of the strength of the last two seasons were the exploration of consequences and changes to the world. Harmonic Convergence didn't and shouldn't have a narrative place of being the climax of Korra's challenges as the Avatar; instead it's an event that shapes the remainder of her life and the world around her. The following seasons really were about the world in the wake of such events, and they were stronger for it.

Toph had it right, if only half right: like being a police chief, being the Avatar isn't work you finish, or something building up to a grand climax. You solve problems, and when they're solved there will be new ones for you to deal with. Some will be the consequences of past solutions. What you do matters because of that. This was a theme we saw in the original series, with Aang facing the result of previous Avatars' decisions, good and bad. Korra gets to face her own, in her own series: something Aang only really gets to experience with the comics.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

I was kidding, dude.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

MrAristocrates posted:

I was kidding, dude.

Nobody can tell because almost all of your posts in the thread have had the same tone from the second one onward

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
As nice as a message as the ending was, it's gonna be funny when the comics begin with her breaking up with Asami because Korra is terrible with relationships no matter who its with.

Although now they've established a way for Avatars to break the cycle and keep something of their bending prowess, I want story of a self centered Avatar that wants to have power without the whole "bound to the earth" destiny thing.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Does the spirit of Raava have, like, a choice when it comes to who she gets reborn into? Or is she kind of just limited to whatever hand she's dealt? Like what if she was born into a quadraplegic, or a literal psychopath like Joffrey Barratheon?

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

DrSunshine posted:

Does the spirit of Raava have, like, a choice when it comes to who she gets reborn into? Or is she kind of just limited to whatever hand she's dealt? Like what if she was born into a quadraplegic, or a literal psychopath like Joffrey Barratheon?
I'm guessing that it's always born into a body that will be of use in maintaining the balance, one way or another. Otherwise what's the point?

Pikehead
Dec 3, 2006

Looking for WMDs, PM if you have A+ grade stuff
Fun Shoe

Superstring posted:

There's a lot of stuff we don't see on screen in every piece of fiction, but can assume is out there. And they were addressing sexism all the way back in the first few episodes of The Last Airbender.

Fair enough. I still think that it's not shown in the series wether or not homosexuality/bisexualism is socially acceptable, and I think that's to do with the restraints that come with a children's anime on an american network in today's day and age. That said, it's conjecture only, and sexism itself is addressed and addressed well in ATLA.

Irish Joe posted:

Zhu Li obviously looked up to, and had feelings for, Varric throughout the run of the series, even if it seemed a little Stockholm-y. Varric's turn was a little less believable, but the show made it clear that Zhu Li's threat was the kick in the rear end that made him reassess his relationship with her. Its dumb and cliched, but it still wasn't the rear end pull Korassami was.

I see it as a natural outgrowth of Varrick's character development. He realised he was dismissive and contemptous of those around him, and used Zhu Li as a tool rather than interact with her as a person. Of all the groupings in LoK, I see theirs as the most likely to go from 'hey, we like each other' to 'let's spend the rest of our lives together' in a short space of time. Varrick is impulsive and not afraid of meeting something head on, and Zhu Li's new assertiveness and confidence would allow her to say yes.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

DrSunshine posted:

You're thinking too hard about spiritual metaphysics.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

I just find it hilarious to imagine that it's possible that, when Korra dies, the Avatar spirit is reborn into like some 600lb lardass. Can you imagine the conversations with the other past lives?

:shrug: "Wellp, might as well forget about this one, maybe we'll have better luck with the next life."

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son
Reborn as a 600lb baby?

I'd think the Avatar would have more sense than to let themselves go like that.

edit: If they're reborn as someone like Ming Hua then they're probably capable of overcoming it like she was. By the way did she die? I hope not, she was awesome, I like that she was the Red Lotus' driver.

HoneyBoy fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Dec 26, 2014

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

HoneyBoy posted:

Reborn as a 600lb baby?

I'd think the Avatar would have more sense than to let themselves go like that.

edit: If they're reborn as someone like Ming Hua then they're probably capable of overcoming it like she was. By the way did she die? I hope not, she was awesome, I like that she was the Red Lotus' driver.

oh she dead

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Speaking of Ming-Hua, just curious, was she born with no arms or lost them in life? Not that it matters, but I'm wondering if her unique waterbending was to overcome congenitally being armless or losing her arms during life. Personally, I'm thinking it's the former.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
In eastern spirituality, whichever form you are born into in the next life is determined by karmic merits you accumulate, both from your current life and karma from your past lives.

So live a good life like Aang, and you too might one day be reborn as a pretty princess like Korra.

But negative karma accumulates as well and isn't necessarily just wiped away by doing good deeds. Just as Aang reaps the benefits of many lifetimes of service as the Avatar, so too is he left with Roku's (and Kyoshi's, and Korruk's) mistakes to have to clean up, just like Korra arguably carries the weight of Aang's negative karma, and like all Avatars are eternally bound by Wan's karma.

In theory, great spiritual enlightenment combined with great spiritual detachment will free you from the endless cycle of reincarnation. I wonder if this is similar to what Iroh accomplished. But, like Yangchen says, the Avatar cannot do this, because -- like a Bodhisattva -- they have a duty to delay their own enlightenment and continue reincarnating into this world in order to fight the influence of Vaatu.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Covok posted:

Speaking of Ming-Hua, just curious, was she born with no arms or lost them in life? Not that it matters, but I'm wondering if her unique waterbending was to overcome congenitally being armless or losing her arms during life. Personally, I'm thinking it's the former.
Behind-the-scenes info says the former, but that contradicts the Phantom Limb explanation, which I love, so I pretend that it's the latter since nothing in the show proper says otherwise.

• Locked thread