Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Been dealing with bad news all day so haven't been able to play much more Captain Toad. What a lousy christmas.

Least there's this new super cute trailer of Kirby and The Rainbow Curse (click it) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWFgS5b9Vc8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Depths posted:

Whys smash bros 49 gbp on the estore? should i bother playing it with the normal screen gamepad thing?

You can play it fine with the Gamepad, although a Pro Controller is way better

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004

Austrian mook posted:

https://checkout.nintendo.com/#/item/WUPNAKBE/billing

My e-mail is diggory.waddle@gmail.com

Merry Christmas :cheers:

Sent. Merry Christmas.

forpush
Jan 6, 2006

We don't like it when the city light start fading
When the city lights fading then we can't get down
My fiancée got me Cute Wii Game, Kirby's Epic Yarn as one of my gaming presents, I look forward to playing it when we get home

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Just wanted to add that Kirby and the Rainbow Curse amiibo support works with Kirby, Meta Knight, and Dedede

Kirby gives Clay Kirby the enlarging power-up in a course to use whenever

Metaknight gives him a spinning attack it seems (and Meta Knights mask)

King Dedede gives you a bunch of hp and Dedede's Hat.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Been dealing with bad news all day so haven't been able to play much more Captain Toad. What a lousy christmas.

Least there's this new super cute trailer of Kirby and The Rainbow Curse (click it) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWFgS5b9Vc8

I can't tell if they've managed to perfectly emulate claymation using 3D modeling or they actually spent the time to clay-animate everything in this game, but either way that's downright impressive. And cute.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

is the wii u region locked?

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Awesome! posted:

is the wii u region locked?

I think the ps4 and vita are the only things not region locked these days

Amiibos however aren't if that matters.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Theta Zero posted:

I can't tell if they've managed to perfectly emulate claymation using 3D modeling or they actually spent the time to clay-animate everything in this game, but either way that's downright impressive. And cute.

The fingerprints on the clay really sell the detail. Nintendo <3

All Frogs
Sep 18, 2014

That Kirby game looks all kinds of adorable. :3:

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Here's a summary of the new info from the video:
-28 stages plus 40 challenge stages
-Unlockable character trophies, sound test, etc
-Kirby/Dedede/Meta Knight Amiibos unlock some (probably broken) perks for Kirby: unlimited star powerup, Meta Knight mask/dash attack, Dedede mask/health buff

There's also footage of the multiplayer mode (p2/3/4 play as Waddle Dees), the different transformation gimmicks, etc.

JP price is 3700yen, which is the same price tier as Captain Toad, so it seems like it might be a $40 game in the US.

PaletteSwappedNinja fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Dec 26, 2014

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

JP price is 3700yen, which is the same price tier as Captain Toad, so it seems like it might be a $40 game in the US.

Can't wait to see all the "This game is amazing and fun and adorable. $40 is still too much though, 5 out of 10"

ElegantFugue
Jun 5, 2012

God loving drat it, this console. So much for Nintendo's refurb quality. I was playing some Smash with my brother over Christmas on a big screen HDMI TV, and suddenly right at the end of a match the signal to the TV dies. I figure the TV is just futzed up, and turn the system off via the gamepad. Then later I play some Hyrule Warriors on the gamepad, so it's clear that the system itself still works, and I think nothing of it. I get back home tonight and plug everything back in, and oh hey my HDMI monitor won't get any signal from the Wii U no matter what resolution settings I use. Guess I get to call Nintendo about this tomorrow during what will probably be one of their busiest service days of the year! Hopefully they will be able to handle this a bit better than when it first arrived, and it took them a literal end-to-end month to replace my broken-out-of-the-box Gamepad! :suicide:

I currently have both my game data and save files for Smash Bros. and Hyrule Warriors on an external hard drive. I can't fit both on the console's internal memory at the same time. Assuming Nintendo tells me to ship the console back in, is there any way to keep my save files intact? If they send me a new system, will it just recognize the data on the external and let me pick up where I left off? Am I just going to need to pick one save file to transfer to the Wii U for saving and give up on the other one?

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

Macaluso posted:

Can't wait to see all the "This game is amazing and fun and adorable. $40 is still too much though, 5 out of 10"

I never really get that, but that might be from having grown up in a time where basically any new game was at least $60. I don't mind paying less for games but if a game is engaging and captivating and current I have no qualms paying full price. The $40 price for Captain Toad felt like a bargain to me because I had expected it to be full price when it was announced.

Spectacle Rock
May 24, 2013
To those of you who played SNES era games and can handle a platformer that is tough in some parts (like Donkey Kong Country tough) get the Shantae game ("Shantae and the Pirate's Curse".) It's $20, but I am really really loving this game. Except for the conversation stills (those are HD), someone from the year 1994 would totally believe it was a modern era game.

So, if you like platformers I say get this. The game also doesn't take itself seriously, so it has a small hint of "Paper Mario" self awareness.

But all of that aside, the game is enough of a challenge and fun to play so get it!

Does me buying Shantae make me a cute gamer?

Spectacle Rock fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Dec 26, 2014

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

I'm not yet a cute gamer because Captain Toad isn't out here until next Friday :mad:

Also isn't that Kirby game not coming out in Europe until May or some bullshit. Or am I thinking of Yoshi's Woolly World?

e: Also I didn't get any video games for Christmas, but I very rarely do. My mother did get Layton x Wright though, and my nephew got the latest Skylanders money printing machine.

irlZaphod fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Dec 26, 2014

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

irlZaphod posted:

Also isn't that Kirby game not coming out in Europe until May or some bullshit. Or am I thinking of Yoshi's Woolly World?

That's Kirby, yeah. NOE loves delaying Kirby games for absolutely no reason.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

That's Kirby, yeah. NOE loves delaying Kirby games for absolutely no reason.
Because they don't like us being cute, apparently. :(

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

This game is too cute, gonna have to replay Canvas Curse now.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Cute Toad Game is 27% installed. This better be :3: as hell and a really happy good time. I don't give a poot about prices vs quantity because if I spend $60 on a game I absolutely love that lasts 10 really good hours who cares. I'm about that quality.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Spectacle Rock posted:

To those of you who played SNES era games and can handle a platformer that is tough in some parts (like Donkey Kong Country tough) get the Shantae game ("Shantae and the Pirate's Curse".) It's $20, but I am really really loving this game. Except for the conversation stills (those are HD), someone from the year 1994 would totally believe it was a modern era game.

So, if you like platformers I say get this. The game also doesn't take itself seriously, so it has a small hint of "Paper Mario" self awareness.

But all of that aside, the game is enough of a challenge and fun to play so get it!

I have Shantae on the 3DS and made it more than halfway through and I'm gonna toss out a contrary opinion, i.e. that the game actually isn't very good.

CatsPajamas
Jul 4, 2013

I hated the new Stupid Newbie avatar so much that I bought a new one for this user. Congrats, Lowtax.

Spectacle Rock posted:

Yes, yes it does!

I hope these kind of well-executed smaller titles like Shantae, Stealth Inc. 2, and Armillo will be successful, because it would be great to see more games like them.

-Kirby/Dedede/Meta Knight Amiibos unlock some (probably broken) perks for Kirby: unlimited star powerup, Meta Knight mask/dash attack, Dedede mask/health buff

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

King Dedede gives you a bunch of hp and Dedede's Hat.

Thanks for the video summary PaletteSwappedNinja! Looks like now I'll have to get an amiibo of HRH King Dedede to get Kirby a cute hat. :3:

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Kilometers Davis posted:

Cute Toad Game is 27% installed. This better be :3: as hell and a really happy good time. I don't give a poot about prices vs quantity because if I spend $60 on a game I absolutely love that lasts 10 really good hours who cares. I'm about that quality.

You won't be disappointed.

How's Duck Hunt with the Wii Remote?

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

mabels big day posted:

If only Hyrule Warriors had classic controller pro support

I found that out today, and it's lovely that it doesn't because the wiimote/nunchuk configuration is loving terrible.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

raditts posted:

I found that out today, and it's lovely that it doesn't because the wiimote/nunchuk configuration is loving terrible.

Why the heck don't you have a Wii U Pro Controller?

Spectacle Rock
May 24, 2013

SeANMcBAY posted:

You won't be disappointed.

How's Duck Hunt with the Wii Remote?

It is about as good as we're going to get. By default there is a visible cross hair but thankfully you can press a button on the d-pad to turn off the cross hair and make the game feel much more like the original game.

It is worth the $4.99 if you already have a Wii Remote lying around. It's Duck Hunt! Everyone should buy this; especially if you have young children. They all need to play Duck Hunt and Super Mario Bros.

Also, the Wii Remote makes a sound out of its internal speaker to simulate the "click" sound the NES Zapper made when you fired it :mario: :yotj:

Spectacle Rock fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Dec 26, 2014

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

CatsPajamas posted:

Thanks for the video summary PaletteSwappedNinja! Looks like now I'll have to get an amiibo of HRH King Dedede to get Kirby a cute hat. :3:

To this day I've played a ton of kirby and I still don't know what HRH King Dedede means.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
His Royal Highness?

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

RyokoTK posted:

Why the heck don't you have a Wii U Pro Controller?

"Why would I need to pay $50 for a new controller when I have a Classic Controller Pro? It's got enough buttons so there's no reason it shouldn't work."
- stupid, naive past me

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
His Royal Highness King Dedede.

e: fuuuuuuuu-

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

To this day I've played a ton of kirby and I still don't know what HRH King Dedede means.

Show some loving respect to The King

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Kirby Rainbow Curse intro movie confirms what we all knew: Kirby is a jerk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fiIyPkFL9gc

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I love the music being done in the style of a silent film

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

I'm not sure what silent film you've seen that has anything but a piano.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

kirby just wanted an apple...

Spectacle Rock
May 24, 2013

Kirby Rainbow Curse intro movie confirms what we all knew: Kirby is a jerk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fiIyPkFL9gc

It really looks like they are all made out of clay. I like the look. I don't think Kirby was that much of a jerk. You have to realize Kirby is like a baby with magic powers. He isn't actively a jerk, he just kind of doesn't fully take in his surroundings and/or the feelings of others.

In other news, I saw this in one of the related videos (from the same uploader) and this can't be real right? I mean, how could this possible be a game at all? It looks professionally made, is this kind of stuff "okay" in Japan?

Somewhat NWS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGQ3PO4x_Hc

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

am i niedlich ~uguu

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Spectacle Rock posted:

It really looks like they are all made out of clay. I like the look. I don't think Kirby was that much of a jerk. You have to realize Kirby is like a baby with magic powers. He isn't actively a jerk, he just kind of doesn't fully take in his surroundings and/or the feelings of others.

In other news, I saw this in one of the related videos (from the same uploader) and this can't be real right? I mean, how could this possible be a game at all? It looks professionally made, is this kind of stuff "okay" in Japan?

Somewhat NWS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGQ3PO4x_Hc

You'll find all you need to know in this thread.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

His Royal Highness?

I've never seen that shortening so hey news to me v:v:v

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TenaciousJ
Dec 31, 2008

Clown move bro
Captain Toad was a steal for $40. I'm already into book 2 and my only regret about the game is that I'm probably going to finish it in the next week because once I find the time to sit down and play it, I keep saying "one more level."

My brother wanted to play DKC Tropical Freeze in multiplayer and that game seems a bit rough to get used to controlling, especially if you were expecting it to play like the SNES DKC games. I told him if the SNES games taught me anything, it was pick Dixie, so of course he went with Diddy. After the 2nd boss fight, we were both ready to put it down out of frustration. I think I'll come back to this one when I'm more used to using the gamepad and when I can play solo. I still have Super Mario 3D World and Bayonetta 1 and 2.

We went searching through our old stuff at our parents house and found his Wii, my Gamecube + GBA player, and a bunch of games for both systems. I know I can just play the Wii games on the Wii U, but what's this about playing Gamecube games on the Wii U I'm reading in the previous pages? I will probably end up attaching the Gamecube anyway for the GBA player, but it would be awesome to not have to hook up more things to my TV.

• Locked thread