Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

My biggest disappointment in New Vegas was having Matthew Perry in a serious role. You had one chance Obsidian to make a Fallout game with Chandler in it, and you loving blew it. :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I enjoyed what I played of New Vegas in that the gameplay felt like an improvement on Fallout 3 but I've always been confused by all the praise I've read about it. At some point after playing Skyrim for a long time I got a hankering to go back and play it again, but found that modding it with a lot of the most interesting mods is a huge awkward process with different steps required for each mod (while I had a very easy time with skyrim mods, possibly just because the nexus mod manager existed by then), and that no matter what I did it would always feel incredibly slow and clunky. The frame rate was irregular even though the graphics looked like garbage compared to skyrim, and I didn't find any combination of mods that would fix either that or the frame rate. The controls in most bethesda games have a really noticeable and awkward delay between input and response but combined with the clunky performance it just made the game feel like a bit of a dinosaur. And I play S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Call of Pripyat, the mother of obnoxious and ill-timed stutters, so I can live with a decent amount of technical problems.

Then for all people have to say about the game's branching questlines or intelligent story or whatever, it's still largely communicated by plastic mannequins with very bored voice acting who stare deep into your soul as they drone at you. If I played it again I also know I'd never side with the legion because I'm not literally hitler. The story and presentation feel like they're bored with you, and so do the controls and gameplay. I don't think it's an outright bad game but I had to overlook way too much to enjoy it for long once I played Skyrim.

Phthisis
Apr 16, 2007

"Maybe some dolphins have sex for pleasure."
Toss me into the camp of people who liked Fallout 3 but didn't like New Vegas.

One reason I liked FO3 much more than NV is that the Mojave was pretty much not at all post-apocalyptic. I used to live in New Mexico and I very often felt like it was no different from driving around the real desert, except you couldn't really talk to anyone or go into any buildings. I had no desire to explore anything when it was basically just a shittier version of a real place.

Another reason I wasn't a big fan of New Vegas is that I just didn't give a poo poo about anyone. As flawed as FO3's story was, at least I was The Hero who was supposed to go on this big adventure to save the world or whatever. The main revenge quest in NV didn't do much for me, because I knew nothing about this guy I was supposed to be chasing, who no longer had any impact on anything, so it felt like there was no point. In addition, I really didn't care about the factions either. People seem to (sometimes) praise the moral ambiguity of who takes over the city, but that's also what drove me to not care. If there was a clear good and bad, then I would actually care to make sure the good beat the bad. Caesar's legion was a little better about that. I never beat the game, but before giving up, I was focusing on loving them up, since they seemed worthy of that.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

Red Minjo posted:

Shin Megami Tensei 4 is, for the most part, a great game. But man, they toss a lot of chaff enemies at you. It was annoying enough in normal gameplay, trying to find out where such and such temple for a sidequest is, but after beating the final boss (neutral path), I had to go through battles with weak-rear end demons on the overworld and indoors areas before I got the last cutscenes and credits roll. I can understand not wanting to lock players out of finishing a few things before ending the game, but it really made the whole ending feel anticlimactic for me. My final battle should be with the level 99 cool guy, not some level 10 hee-hos!

Estoma Sword helps a lot with that, but it's a second-quarter spell that stops appearing on demons at around level 35. And it's a spell that can't be carried on to you by Demon Whisper, so it becomes a massive chore to even have it.

The neutral path kind of has something that bugged me about it, though. Not the structure of it gameplay-wise, but it really just drops something that should really be brought up. Isabeau's feelings for you grow over the course of the game, and it's fairly noticeable. In the Law and Chaos endings, it comes to quite a dramatic head; she calls you out on the side you've chosen, the deeds you've committed and the world you want to bring about, before admitting her feelings to you and committing suicide, refusing to let her blood be on your hands.

On the neutral ending, you and her strike off on your own, though, she's a companion rather than an adversary. She's with you for literally the entire endgame, right by your side as you both go 'you know what, gently caress both these guys, we're doing our own poo poo'... and it never comes up. That tension, those growing feelings, just never get addressed. I'm not asking for a romantic subplot or an 'and also you get laid' part to the Neutral ending, but it really just doesn't feel right that her entire subplot doesn't even get a conclusion if you side with her.

Cleretic has a new favorite as of 10:14 on Dec 25, 2014

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Lotish posted:

Really? Because I've yet to find a unique that I couldn't hopelessly outclass within one minute of crafting, especially if you have access to masterwork materials. And crafted weapons and armor have no level limits, so I can use item level 20 gear at level 10 if I so choose.

Well maybe I just don't have any good schematics then because of how absolutely lovely the shop/inventory mechanic is. Mostly in how there's no way of knowing what a shop has to sell other than going through all their tabs. I played for a couple of hours before I realized there was a tab for junk that you should sell. But for some reason they stick stuff you might not want to sell in there too, like enemy research stuff.

Another annoyance with the crafting stuff is that you can't modify weapons or armor that party members have currently equipped. This is especially bad with Varrick since the only way for his range attack to go up is add ons for his bow.

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

:gowron::m10:

muscles like this? posted:

Another annoyance with the crafting stuff is that you can't modify weapons or armor that party members have currently equipped. This is especially bad with Varrick since the only way for his range attack to go up is add ons for his bow.

You can scroll through characters in the crafting menus exactly like you scroll through them in literally every other menu in the game.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Well maybe I just don't have any good schematics then because of how absolutely lovely the shop/inventory mechanic is. Mostly in how there's no way of knowing what a shop has to sell other than going through all their tabs. I played for a couple of hours before I realized there was a tab for junk that you should sell. But for some reason they stick stuff you might not want to sell in there too, like enemy research stuff.

Enemy research stuff only sells for 1 gold and is always at the very bottom of the list. And if you're in the modify weapons screen you'll see arrows in the top left which let you scroll to different characters and modify their equipment.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

You see those arrows in the upper right corner? Click them.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Kay Kessler posted:

My biggest disappointment in New Vegas was having Matthew Perry in a serious role. You had one chance Obsidian to make a Fallout game with Chandler in it, and you loving blew it. :argh:

Your dialogue with Benny can get pretty funny depending on what perks you have. :v:

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Matthew Perry got the job because he gushed about his Fallout 3 character and really really really really wanted a part guys please hire me. :saddowns:

I find that kind of sweet.

Moon Man
Mar 31, 2006

The Moon, for Christ's Sake
My buddy got an Xbox one recently and I have been playing a lot of Diablo 3 console version with him.

I wouldn't go as far as to say it's dragging the game down, but I really wish they had kept percentages for stat differentials instead of replacing them with little arrows. That's just dumb.

Also, elective mode and detailed descriptions should be on by default.

I'm Metal Gear Rising, are you seriously saying that you can get any and all body parts replaced with cyborg parts, but they can't give Raiden a new eye? Again, not an annoyance, just a nit-pick

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Moon Man posted:

My buddy got an Xbox one recently and I have been playing a lot of Diablo 3 console version with him.

I wouldn't go as far as to say it's dragging the game down, but I really wish they had kept percentages for stat differentials instead of replacing them with little arrows. That's just dumb.

Also, elective mode and detailed descriptions should be on by default.

I'm Metal Gear Rising, are you seriously saying that you can get any and all body parts replaced with cyborg parts, but they can't give Raiden a new eye? Again, not an annoyance, just a nit-pick

Raiden's eyepatch is his new eye, it's covered with multifaceted optical inputs like a bug's eyeball. Raiden, dork that he is, was probably all over that poo poo.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Moon Man posted:

I just finished replaying MGR but they do say at the beginning that the Dok didn't have time to make a new eye for him so they settled with his eyepatch.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
When you're the the top half of a severed head attached to a robot body having one of your few remaining organic components destroyed just plain sucks, especially considering he already had the ability to have auxiliary inputs (like the drone he's riding at the beginning of the first post-tutorial mission) plugged directly into his optic nerve.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Moon Man posted:

They could get him a new eye, they just didn't have one of the quality that Raiden needed on hand. The eye patch he wears is woven from micro-cameras that have a much higher resolution than conventional optical prosthetics (although the human brain can only interpret so high a resolution). It also provides a few other benefits such as being slightly resistant to damage; small cuts only destroy a small portion of the total optics.
:goonsay:

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!
The Roman Empire, for all its brutality, was incredibly successful, safe, and pretty much the best time/place to live on Earth until the rise of modern medicine.

The Legion is not the Roman Empire, and that made me sad.

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone

ArtIsResistance posted:

I have strong feelings towards the actions of these fictional characters in children's entertainment. Very strong

The thing is it's not supposed to be children's entertainment, there are hookers and exploding heads everywhere you turn. But the moral sophistication of video games is maybe not too high overall and lower still in a genre where you're playing as a spreadsheet with a disembodied gun arm.

In regular fiction (or in life) you can't see all the paths the protagonist could have taken but didn't, and where they would have led. In a video game where you can do that, where being able to do that is a selling point, the designers have to "bake in" the results of all those choices, passing absolute judgment on which ones are more right or wrong than others. When you have a faction whose motivations are too despicable for the player to join in on-- i.e. since the game does not include rape or crucifixions as something the player can do-- it simplifies things but also makes the player's choices seem false or obvious. It's a balancing act for sure.

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

:gowron::m10:

swamp waste posted:

The thing is it's not supposed to be children's entertainment, there are hookers and exploding heads everywhere you turn.

(In a 12 year old's voice) dude check out this game my stepdad got me i can blow up people's heads and gently caress pussy haha

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

in NCAA Football 2014, you can play a football game between colleges in the America, but why would you play a video game of something you can just go outside and do with your friends?????? this is video games not real life sports ball games get with it EA

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Byzantine posted:

The Roman Empire, for all its brutality, was incredibly successful, safe, and pretty much the best time/place to live on Earth until the rise of modern medicine.

Rome doesn't have poo poo on Egypt.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Austrian mook posted:

Rome didn't have killer mummies walking around; they just dealt with the occasional member of the godly pantheon roaming around humping people in the form of a goat or something.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Roman food was gross as poo poo-- it was like 90% salt, so when you're eating a barbecued mutant rat that's been in your bag for 10 weeks, uncovered, you can at least pretend your character's diet is on par with a real Roman diet.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!

Austrian mook posted:

brb, making a yugioh mod

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Byzantine posted:

Didn't the romans have a population breakdown such that there were multiple slaves for every single actual citizen, meaning all the things people idolize about the roman empire didn't really apply to most of its people.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!

Gestalt Intellect posted:

Didn't the romans have a population breakdown such that there were multiple slaves for every single actual citizen, meaning all the things people idolize about the roman empire didn't really apply to most of its people.

If you go before the mid-twentieth century, nobody's ideals applied to most of their populace. But no, Rome's slave population was about 10-15% of the whole.

Don't mistake me for whitewashing the Empire, but you can't deny its culture and legal influence. Emperor Justinian's Codex is the basis for Western law, their infrastructure still crisscrosses Europe after two millennia, and one-and-a-half billion people worship in Rome's church.

The Legion has nothing even slightly like that, it's just all stabby rape dickheads all the time, and that blows.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

it's almost like it was set up by an insane cosplayer with brain cancer who just read the military parts

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Phthisis posted:

Toss me into the camp of people who liked Fallout 3 but didn't like New Vegas.

One reason I liked FO3 much more than NV is that the Mojave was pretty much not at all post-apocalyptic. I used to live in New Mexico and I very often felt like it was no different from driving around the real desert, except you couldn't really talk to anyone or go into any buildings. I had no desire to explore anything when it was basically just a shittier version of a real place.

Another reason I wasn't a big fan of New Vegas is that I just didn't give a poo poo about anyone. As flawed as FO3's story was, at least I was The Hero who was supposed to go on this big adventure to save the world or whatever. The main revenge quest in NV didn't do much for me, because I knew nothing about this guy I was supposed to be chasing, who no longer had any impact on anything, so it felt like there was no point. In addition, I really didn't care about the factions either. People seem to (sometimes) praise the moral ambiguity of who takes over the city, but that's also what drove me to not care. If there was a clear good and bad, then I would actually care to make sure the good beat the bad. Caesar's legion was a little better about that. I never beat the game, but before giving up, I was focusing on loving them up, since they seemed worthy of that.

The original main antagonist shoots you in the head over a platinum chip that was purposefully sent out for delivery in a confusing way to mask it's location.

If you don't find that to be an engaging starting point for a story, you must really hate stories that don't spoon feed you an antagonist and protagonist like a sub-YA novel. Even YA authors have stepped up to include antiheros, revenge plots, and non-altruistic motives to fuel stories for over a decade

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
Out of all the complaints I've ever heard about New Vegas, "the factions are too morally grey" is right up there with complaining that the game doesn't constantly shove a motivation down your throat or provide you with preset character backstory. There are complaints to be had about New Vegas and it's okay to like Fallout 3 more but jeez, come on, man

More on-topic again I love the writing in Persona 2: Innocent Sin but it also has something I really loving hate in JRPGs and that is random encounters that are frequent enough to be irritating, samey and easy enough to require no real strategy and just feel like a chore, and provide a small enough amount of XP that you do have to go through with them a lot combined with having to balance that with contacting demons for Tarot cards. It's a shame because as dull and tedious as I find the dungeon crawling, the writing is actually really, really solid and I think I actually like the main cast way more than the main cast of Persona 3.

Tweet Me Balls
Apr 14, 2009

Byzantine posted:

If you go before the mid-twentieth century, nobody's ideals applied to most of their populace. But no, Rome's slave population was about 10-15% of the whole.

Don't mistake me for whitewashing the Empire, but you can't deny its culture and legal influence. Emperor Justinian's Codex is the basis for Western law, their infrastructure still crisscrosses Europe after two millennia, and one-and-a-half billion people worship in Rome's church.

The Legion has nothing even slightly like that, it's just all stabby rape dickheads all the time, and that blows.

Its a legion, not the empire. And not the republic. Caesar planned on conquering the republic (wink nudge), and then proper civilizing would fall into place.

Alternatively, the legion got shafted in the writing department due to time restraints, but they're still a military occupation. Being in an area Rome wanted to make a province wouldn't exactly feel like a high point either.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
FF14: Cross class best in slot gear, normally I wouldn't care if I could have one suit be the best item for multiple classes cause then I don't have to go out and unlock and make space for multiple bits of gear.

Except that I can't make 2 classes look different, and the gear is generally "unique" meaning I can't get a second set to make look different. Without intentionally downgrading gear on one class I can't differentiate my barbarian-esque warrior and knightly paladin for example.

The smallest of things, but I want to play dress up

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!

Leal posted:

The smallest of things, but I want to play dress up

You can! Once you hit lv50, there's a quest to unlock the Glamor system, where you can make any item look like any other (as long as your class can wear it).

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

The Last Story has apparently a ton of poo poo (dyes, equipment, materials, etc.) locked behind multiplayer. I'm pretty sure I bitched about this before in this thread, but drat it, when I buy a JRPG I am looking for a single player experience. The Wii online play being no longer active is also slightly problematic in unlocking all that poo poo.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

AngryRobotsInc posted:

The Last Story has apparently a ton of poo poo (dyes, equipment, materials, etc.) locked behind multiplayer. I'm pretty sure I bitched about this before in this thread, but drat it, when I buy a JRPG I am looking for a single player experience. The Wii online play being no longer active is also slightly problematic in unlocking all that poo poo.

Yeah, it would be nice if games didn't lock single player stuff behind multiplayer as a rule, because I'd like to be able to come back to stuff when this stuff stops getting serviced in 5 years.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Byzantine posted:

You can! Once you hit lv50, there's a quest to unlock the Glamor system, where you can make any item look like any other (as long as your class can wear it).

Oh I know about the glamor system, my issue is glamoring equipment that is used across different classes. For example, I have (minus raiding) the best body armor that scholars and white mages can use. However since the armor is unique I can only have just one of that armor, and if I want both classes to be in top form they'll both look the same. I can't say have my scholar look like a book nerd and have my white mage look like the traditional Final Fantasy white mage since the looks are shared between classes. Making glamors be class based would fix this.

Or a sorta better example is that I have the pants that are best in slot for all 8 crafting classes, if I make it look one way for one class it'll look like that for the other 7. Though that armor isn't unique iirc so I could in theory get 8 sets of those pants, but that isn't the case for all the combat gear.

Austrian mook posted:

Yeah, it would be nice if games didn't lock single player stuff behind multiplayer as a rule, because I'd like to be able to come back to stuff when this stuff stops getting serviced in 5 years.

This is why I'm disliking online components effecting single player things, cause the developer WILL flip the switch at some point and stop supporting it, and there you are hosed with your purchase. I know my car wont last forever, but at least the maker wont arbitrarily run up to my driveway, rip out the engine and go "It was a good run but I don't support this anymore, feel free to buy the newest model!" then run off.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

AngryRobotsInc posted:

I don't think it would be so bad if it had multiplayer that wasn't purely online.
Because than you'd actually be able to use multiplayer mode.

Really bugs me when you get a game that you think its multiplayer, so you go to play it with someone else, and it turns out its online only.

Thoughtless
Feb 1, 2007

Doesn't think, just types.
More on 7 Days to Die.

Cooking eggs requires water. The water has to be pre-boiled, because I guess it doesn't boil when you cook eggs in it? The water also comes in glass jars, which are consumed upon use. You can only cook one egg at a time, also, and they give about as much nutrition as one egg in real life, making it a huge waste of glass jars to make eggs at all.

The city biome has instantly respawning zombies, meaning every time you shoot one, another spawns. This means that the best way to deal with the city is to dig a giant pit and lure all the zombies in there, then seal it so they can't get out. This prevents more zombies from spawning. I mean, I get that you'd want hordes but why do I even have guns when I can't earn a single second of peace with them?

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Thoughtless posted:

More on 7 Days to Die.

Cooking eggs requires water. The water has to be pre-boiled, because I guess it doesn't boil when you cook eggs in it? The water also comes in glass jars, which are consumed upon use. You can only cook one egg at a time, also, and they give about as much nutrition as one egg in real life, making it a huge waste of glass jars to make eggs at all.

The city biome has instantly respawning zombies, meaning every time you shoot one, another spawns. This means that the best way to deal with the city is to dig a giant pit and lure all the zombies in there, then seal it so they can't get out. This prevents more zombies from spawning. I mean, I get that you'd want hordes but why do I even have guns when I can't earn a single second of peace with them?

I've never played this game, but you boil water to sanitize it if you're not confident of the source. Which I guess would be reasonable after a zombie apocalypse.

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

QUEEN OF FRANCE, SAVIOR OF LOWTAX

death .cab for qt posted:

The original main antagonist shoots you in the head over a platinum chip that was purposefully sent out for delivery in a confusing way to mask it's location.

If you don't find that to be an engaging starting point for a story, you must really hate stories that don't spoon feed you an antagonist and protagonist like a sub-YA novel. Even YA authors have stepped up to include antiheros, revenge plots, and non-altruistic motives to fuel stories for over a decade

Revenge driven storylines are very mature and will not be found in sub-YA novels, as it takes a mature man to truly understand the intricacies of getting back at someone who hurt you.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Suleman posted:

I've been playing Deadlight recently, and it has these little issues that keep popping up to annoy me.

The axe weapon is implemented terribly, so that the attacks besides the knockdown chop (which is the one you want to use) force downed enemies back into a standing position. The animations for these attacks sail way over the knocked down enemies' bodies, yet here they are, standing again.
Immediately after getting familiar with your weapons, you're stripped from them and tossed into an annoying sewer level.
Interactable elements are sometimes pretty hard to discern from regular elements.
Zombies in the background (cannot be attacked, yet) are pretty freaking hard to discern from zombies in the foreground WHEN THEY'RE ALL IN SILHOUETTE.

gently caress that sewer level, I died to the stupid roll jump thing because either I'm an idiot or it doesn't work right on a keyboard. Sure, maybe I'm just somehow incompetent in that one part but gently caress if the checkpoint and repeated deaths didn't just kill any enthusiasm I had to play it.

Jobbo_Fett has a new favorite as of 16:24 on Dec 27, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoughtless
Feb 1, 2007

Doesn't think, just types.

RyokoTK posted:

I've never played this game, but you boil water to sanitize it if you're not confident of the source. Which I guess would be reasonable after a zombie apocalypse.

Yeah but the water boils while you cook the eggs anyway. Maybe I'm just an idiot, dunno anything about actual survival.