Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Herr Direktor
Mar 19, 2006
Ya, I took a few pictures on my phone when it turned around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rally
Nov 19, 2002

yospos

NESguerilla posted:

Imo Geometry Wars has to be just about the most aggravating shooter I've ever played. gently caress this game.

Did you like the previous Geometry Wars games? I thoroughly enjoyed the first two on Xbox360 and have been thinking about snagging the new one. I bought Resogun and the DLC and that has been a blast but it is a lot different.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

rally posted:

Did you like the previous Geometry Wars games? I thoroughly enjoyed the first two on Xbox360 and have been thinking about snagging the new one. I bought Resogun and the DLC and that has been a blast but it is a lot different.

I loved the old ones and I love the new one. There's room in my life for GW3 and Resogun both, definitely

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

It's the first GW game I've played. I bought it because I must have played Resogun for 40 or 50 hours now and I wanted some new space shooter action, but GW3 just isn't doing it for me at all. Something about the mechanics and really grate my nerves. Feel like I 'm constantly getting killed by stuff I didn't see or couldn't avoid and the hit box is bigger than the drat ship. It's just not hard to me in a way that I want to improve, it's just frustrating. I shut if off after an hour or so and I don't think I'm going to play it again.

To be fair I really don't like twin stick shooters at all and I suck at them. I just forgot about that because it's been like 7 years since I've played one.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The single player mode of Injustice is pretty drat great. Really looking forward to the new Mortal Kombat now since I guess I won't be able to play online until then.

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

NESguerilla posted:

It's the first GW game I've played. I bought it because I must have played Resogun for 40 or 50 hours now and I wanted some new space shooter action, but GW3 just isn't doing it for me at all. Something about the mechanics and really grate my nerves. Feel like I 'm constantly getting killed by stuff I didn't see or couldn't avoid and the hit box is bigger than the drat ship. It's just not hard to me in a way that I want to improve, it's just frustrating. I shut if off after an hour or so and I don't think I'm going to play it again.

To be fair I really don't like twin stick shooters at all and I suck at them. I just forgot about that because it's been like 7 years since I've played one.

Yeah, the rotating levels in adventure mode or whatever really aren't as much fun. I felt like I died all the time because I couldn't see something on the other side of the cube or whatever shape before it was way too late and t was totally against the spirit of GW.

That being said, it also has pretty much the entirety of the first two games contained within it and the adventure mode is fun when it isn't one of the horrible shapes. If you liked the first ones you would get something out of this one.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
Well now instead of instantly telling me the server can't be connected to, the connection attempts just sort of keep trying to connect until they tie out. Maybe progress?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

BottledBodhisvata posted:

Well now instead of instantly telling me the server can't be connected to, the connection attempts just sort of keep trying to connect until they tie out. Maybe progress?

They claim they stopped the attacks and now it's just everyone trying to get online at once.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG
Games can download patches if you do "check for update"

Also, whoever was having trouble with Minecraft earlier, the solution is to unplug your Ethernet cable. The game was getting hung up on the title screen trying to connect.

Slackerish
Jan 1, 2007

Hail Boognish

BottledBodhisvata posted:

This has been happening to me on Vita since like noon EST, so I don't quite know if that's the case...

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Hal Incandenza posted:

Yeah, the rotating levels in adventure mode or whatever really aren't as much fun.

Yeah that's actually what killed it for me. After running into something I couldn't see for the 500th time on one of those spinning levels I just turned it off and started playing resogun again.

The other thing I didn't like is how temporary the power ups are. It's very anti climactic getting some baller rear end gun just to watch it disappear 10 seconds later.

matrix ripoff
Mar 16, 2005

~~~~~~~
i only suck dick in self defense
~~~~~~~
and at the bookstore
~~~~~~~
Good god I can't even start games I own on disc. There's nothing to phone home at all; I own the motherfucking thing.

I want every motherfucker who farted on and on and loving ON about a totally digital future to run themselves over with a truck.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

NESguerilla posted:

Yeah that's actually what killed it for me. After running into something I couldn't see for the 500th time on one of those spinning levels I just turned it off and started playing resogun again.

The other thing I didn't like is how temporary the power ups are. It's very anti climactic getting some baller rear end gun just to watch it disappear 10 seconds later.

Classic mode accessible through the main menu is basically the entirety of Geometry Wars 2 and is what I'd consider the "main" game, sort of like Survival in Resogun. Check that out before you give up for good

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
I've been wanting to play final Fantasy 9 for a few days and got a psn store gift card. Hoping the store comes up so I can pick it up.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

matrix ripoff posted:

Good god I can't even start games I own on disc. There's nothing to phone home at all; I own the motherfucking thing.

I want every motherfucker who farted on and on and loving ON about a totally digital future to run themselves over with a truck.

What game are you trying to run?

One thing I've noticed is that if the game thinks it can get online but can't (e.g. console thinks it's connected and that servers are working, but it times out), everything goes to hell, and if you force-disconnect from the internet (unplug ethernet or whatever) things then start working.

Of course, some games, like Destiny, won't work at all without being online.

shmee
Jun 24, 2005

YouTube doesn't work without being signed into PSN. Who thought that should be a necessary requirement?

matrix ripoff
Mar 16, 2005

~~~~~~~
i only suck dick in self defense
~~~~~~~
and at the bookstore
~~~~~~~

univbee posted:

What game are you trying to run?

One thing I've noticed is that if the game thinks it can get online but can't (e.g. console thinks it's connected and that servers are working, but it times out), everything goes to hell, and if you force-disconnect from the internet (unplug ethernet or whatever) things then start working.

Of course, some games, like Destiny, won't work at all without being online.

Second Son.

And I'd be down with disabling my internet, but I've got family using the internet for so many other things than vibbeo-games that I'm not going to poo poo on their Netflixing and Facebookery just so I can have fun.

My Wii U is still operational, anyways.

Yechezkel
Oct 5, 2004

Fun Shoe

I said come in! posted:

Gonna miss the $40 Shadow of Mordor deal. :( I have $40 on my PSN wallet.

You have until Monday morning for that sale. Hopefully, PSN won't be still down until then. :ohdear:

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

echronorian posted:

I've been wanting to play final Fantasy 9 for a few days and got a psn store gift card. Hoping the store comes up so I can pick it up.

You can't play it on the PS4.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

matrix ripoff posted:

And I'd be down with disabling my internet, but I've got family using the internet for so many other things than vibbeo-games that I'm not going to poo poo on their Netflixing and Facebookery just so I can have fun.

Just disconnect the PS4, not your entire house. You can even go into the menu and tell it to not try to go online if you don't want to mess with wires.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

goferchan posted:

Classic mode accessible through the main menu is basically the entirety of Geometry Wars 2 and is what I'd consider the "main" game, sort of like Survival in Resogun. Check that out before you give up for good

Cool. I'll check it out.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

the truth posted:

You can't play it on the PS4.

I meant on ps3. Forgot this wasn't a general PlayStation thread.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

matrix ripoff posted:

I felt this way when Diablo 3 came out without the ability to mod because it had to be online only and all that other poo poo.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

NESguerilla posted:

Cool. I'll check it out.

Evolved mode, specifically, although endless Pacifism/King are pretty fun too

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

matrix ripoff posted:

Second Son.

My Wii U is still operational, anyways.

That is surprising, SS barely does anything online. But yeah, I meant unplugging the ethernet from your PS4.

Static Rook
Dec 1, 2000

by Lowtax
Yeah I was having trouble getting Dragon Age and Alien to start up, but heading into Settings and unchecking the "connect to the internet" option got them working again. I don't even know what Alien checks online?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Just go to network settings and click the internet check box off. No plug pulling necessary.

E: Beaten

The Flying Milton
Jan 18, 2005

This is so wildly unfair and stupid. All I want to do is play video games and enjoy myself.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I legitimately hope the kids who did this get physically harmed. I'm not really that mad cause my gf has been playing Tomb Raider and I've been just watching and goofing off but god drat it I would really like to get some dragon age multiplayer in sometime tonight.

Slackerish
Jan 1, 2007

Hail Boognish
Servers are back up and functional for me

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
Same. Merry Christmas

SBJ
Apr 10, 2009

Apple of My Eye

Laughter in the Sky
Still down for me...

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
One thing that's nice is that Netflix/Amazon are still totally accessible when PSN is 'down'. I don't really get how that works but okay.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

DrNutt posted:

One thing that's nice is that Netflix/Amazon are still totally accessible when PSN is 'down'. I don't really get how that works but okay.

It's running off their servers not Sony's.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

NESguerilla posted:

It's running off their servers not Sony's.

I figured that but I would have assumed that they interact in some way. Guess not!

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

DrNutt posted:

The apps on the consoles are just fancy front ends that dial into their SDK.

SBJ
Apr 10, 2009

Apple of My Eye

Laughter in the Sky
Well I seem to be able to play almost every game, except the one I actually want to play, which is Destiny.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

SBJ posted:

Well I seem to be able to play almost every game, except the one I actually want to play, which is Destiny.

Good news: right now is the most excited you'll be about playing Destiny. Savor it.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
https://support.us.playstation.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/237/~/psn-status%3A-online

Still says offline.

Down for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
Really glad PSN is a paid service.

• Locked thread