Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Senor Tron posted:

I really think the part at the end with Old Clara was intended to be a send-off for her initially, then swapped around once she decided to stay.

The dreams try to make you happy, to want to stay in them. What then is the logic of having Clara be old, close to death and apparently having lived her life alone? What makes much more sense is that the young Clara was going to be the fantasy, and Old Clara was the reality. The episode would have played out pretty much the same, with Clara the last person remaining in the sleigh wanting to stay in the dream as long as she can.

As we saw, the Doctor wakes up and goes to save Clara. He removes the parasite to uncover young Clara, healthy and young, and they both happily run out to resume adventuring in the TARDIS. Just as they are about to step into the TARDIS however Clara stops and tells the Doctor she can't go with him. He asks why, and she says she has to wake up.

Cut to the Doctor waking up again in the volcano, running off to save Clara, only this time he removes the parasite to discover old Clara. Her dream was having one last adventure with the Doctor, one last Christmas.

I'd bet good money that's how the episode originally ended.

I actually think the young Clara ending wasn't in the original script at all.

The Doctor and Clara were all the same number of dream "layers" deep as Shona and the others, right? They were sharing a dream, and every time they woke up, they woke up together. When they wake up after the sleigh ride, it's played as if they're now in the real world, it's finally over--but the Doctor and Clara still have to wake up one more time to accommodate the old Clara fakeout. So, did Shona and the others have one more layer, too? Are they still asleep and dying/dead? After all, the Doctor isn't there to point out that they're still dreaming this time.

I'm sure that's not the intent behind it at all, but it was one of the first things I thought of when they pulled the "you're still dreaming" twist at the very end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared
I really enjoyed this episode. After as intensely as I disliked the series finale with Missy and the Cybermen, I had low expectations. I never imagined it would be the second best Christmas special of 'new Who.'

I also really, really wanted Clara to go away by midseason, especially with the Danny sidebar that I wasn't enjoying. The only thing I enjoyed about the series finale was that I liked how Clara progressed in that ep, and with this special, I'm a little happy now that she's coming back.

Also, maybe I missed totally missed it but was the tangerine a call back to something?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Doronin posted:

Also, maybe I missed totally missed it but was the tangerine a call back to something?

Tangerines used to be common stocking stuffers, because their peak season is in December.

EDIT: Or, if you mean the one on the windowsill at the end, I think it's meant to suggest the whole "is Santa real after all? Did he bring the Doctor and Clara back together?"

Harrow fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Dec 26, 2014

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Senor Tron posted:

The dreams try to make you happy, to want to stay in them. What then is the logic of having Clara be old, close to death and apparently having lived her life alone?

They could impact the dream state, which is how they all escaped in the first place. The out they had was the ideals they made were perfect ideals of what they imagined those people to be. So of course her Dream Danny tries to save her. How couldn't he? Danny would have done anything for Clara. And of course Santa comes to save them on Christmas, whatever you think of the holiday he is a personification of hope and justice [All the good kids will be rewarded, all the bad kids will not, and he always knows]. That's what he'd do. In the end, "Santa" gave them a little parting gift. Had they just woken up they probably would have stayed parted. By forcing them to acknowledge how lonely they are and how much they've missed each other, they can say screw it and run off again. Which, of course, is what they both wanted. Which is why their linked sub-conscious made that little vignette in the first place. Telepathic contact is the greatest excuse for getting past obfuscating bullshit.

As for how it might have been charted to end in the first place, who knows? I don't find it surprising she's staying on for at least a bit longer. I remember people saying they cast an older Doctor to cut down on the flirty chemistry between companions, and then watching the first few episodes with Capaldi and Coleman and going "Well that failed miserably". Those two just work together, it'd be nice to give them some time to bounce around before sending her off to inevitable horrific end.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

The old Clara bit wouldn't necessarily imply everyone else had another layer too - dream worlds aren't real so you could just have two people falsely hallucinate waking up while the others genuinely awaken. The idea that one of his companions could go on to lead a normal and fulfilling life after parting from him actually makes sense as a comfort dream for The Doctor too.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Doctor is really clueless about people senile:

:j: Am I still old?

:v: I dunno, you tell me. (hands mirror)

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
There was a neat callback in there - the Doctor helping Old Clara with the Christmas crackers because she hadn't the strength to pull her end was exactly what Clara did with Old Eleven in the previous Christmas special :3:

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting

AndyElusive posted:

From everything I've read, Twelve is still really defining who he actually is.

This. Yeah, Twelve can be a GIGANTIC rear end in a top hat, but arguing that he's lost fifty years of character development is a bit much. Remember his circumstances; he spent centuries in one spot endlessly fighting his legions of enemies, knowing it was going to end in his final, absolute death (all of the Doctor's other deaths were either stuff that happened in the course of dangerous adventuring or vague on how death was going to come, ie 'he will knock four times': I think this was the first time he knew it was coming, ever so slowly.), and then at the last minute he got a new regeneration cycle, which is apparently pretty drat rare ("We're breaking some serious science here boys!"). On top of that, a new cycle's apparently one hell of a bear: Ten slept through the majority of his regeneration issues, Eleven ate fish fingers and custard, Twelve was acting literally nucking futs up until he ended up in that fake restaurant. It's understandable if after all that he's tending towards being a dismissive rear end in a top hat: something like that would probably make ANYONE immensely cranky for a while.

Now, if he spends his WHOLE run as the Doctor doing it, THEN we have a problem, but I think that just like One he's climbing out of that pit, slowly but surely. Nine also had more than a few rear end in a top hat traits when he first showed up, let's not forget.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Solaris Knight posted:

How did two separate Santas both think about Festival

of DEATH?

TWAAAAAANNNNNNNNGGGGGG!

Loved the Christmas special. One of my favorites of the past season. The callbacks to Clara and Old 11 were great, Santa was as good as Robin Hood, and there were some great moments of humor ("Am I old?" "No idea.")

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
I liked it! Santa was the role Nick Frost was born to play.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

It's worth pointing out that the Doctor isn't intentionally being a jerk. There have been a few scenes this series where he clearly thinks he is acting the same way he always has, and is trying to be helpful, and is obviously confused as to why people are annoyed with him.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Shite, complete shite.

Even for a Christmas episode it was shite.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Senor Tron posted:

It's worth pointing out that the Doctor isn't intentionally being a jerk. There have been a few scenes this series where he clearly thinks he is acting the same way he always has, and is trying to be helpful, and is obviously confused as to why people are annoyed with him.
And other times when he's straight-up been like his old self, like banishing the 2D monsters and rhapsodising to the Master about how Love Is A Promise.

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde

Senor Tron posted:

Same dialog, different voice, and the Doctor can't quite register how that delivery is what's making it not work this time. I believe it.

I liked this Christmas special, it wasn't overly precious with its plotting and I was legitimately happy to see we're getting a new season of Twelve/Clara, since they work so wonderfully well together.

Rannos22
Mar 30, 2011

Everything's the same as it always is.

adhuin posted:

Oh no! It is happening! :aaa:

We have to decode this message to learn the truth.

Its just "YEAH! CHOCOLATE!" A common Christmas phrase.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Rocksicles posted:

Shite, complete shite.

Even for a Christmas episode it was shite.

Got any actual criticisms?

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

Is there a Doctor Who episode set on a beach? Because today I've watched "The Ice Warriors"* and "Last Christmas" and I would love something set somewhere a little warmer.

* - Received for Christmas, loved the little factoid track that pointed out little things, like one of the scientists is Wallace from "Wallace and Gromit."

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive, no wonder everyone keeps invading you!"

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

Had to look up the cast on IMDB since the actress who played Shona reminded me of Jane Horrocks but turned out to be Faye Marsay. Turns out that the one scientist is a son of Patrick Troughton, which I'd completely missed!

Also, loved that Santa kept drinking from what I assume was the same blue mug that the Doctor stole in "Listen." Because dreams are like that, too.

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

Jet Jaguar posted:

Is there a Doctor Who episode set on a beach? Because today I've watched "The Ice Warriors"* and "Last Christmas" and I would love something set somewhere a little warmer.

Planet of the Dead :sweatdrop:

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Senor Tron posted:

I think that on the face of it, Twelve would really like to just be "the one who stops the monsters" and let other people handle all the tedious Emotions business. He still understands the niceties of pain and sympathy and loss on an intellectual level, but it takes him a while to catch up and he doesn't like to waste that kind of time, which gets him into trouble occasionally.

The only good part of Kill the Moon was the blowout between him and Clara, and the best part of that was Twelve gradually going from faintly smug praise of humans, to confusion at Clara's reaction, to "oh, I really hosed this one up." By the time he actually twigs to Clara's feelings, it's way too late to undo the damage he's caused.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Jet Jaguar posted:

* - Received for Christmas, loved the little factoid track that pointed out little things, like one of the scientists is Wallace from "Wallace and Gromit."

Midnight is at a resort.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

jivjov posted:

Got any actual criticisms?

It was boring, the story was retarded, no one was particularly good in it. Nick Frost was wasted.
I'm not writing as essay on something i'd sooner forget.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

ewe2 posted:

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive, no wonder everyone keeps invading you!"

Best line. I did love all the movie references, and the to do list at the end that showed why they were all there (because apparently Dave was a now forgiven rear end in a top hat!). Though she really was watching the wrong version of The thing and also no videodrome on the list -but I can sort of understand why they might not want to include that one on a movie list on a family show- but other then that great.

I also liked that no matter how many layers of dreams they had woken up from, the first thing they did was never check wither they were still in a dream or not. It was sort of adorably stupid. Which I think sort of sums up the episode quite well.

Nick Frost was of course awesome.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

ewe2 posted:

gently caress, I wish John Hurt had gotten a few more appearances between there and here. Could you imagine how that joke would have played if it was the War Doctor on the receiving end instead of Twelve?

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

computer parts posted:

Midnight is at a resort.

And you'd get one hell of a tan.

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

Jet Jaguar posted:

Keys of marinus

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
... and another thing... gently caress Slade. Fire whoever's idea that was.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Given how Clara reacted when the Doctor turned up on the roof, I wonder how long it's been. She reacted like it had been ages.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
The way this episode was going, I half expected it to end with Paul McGann watching a headcrab die.

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

Rocksicles posted:

... and another thing... gently caress Slade. Fire whoever's idea that was.

What I couldn't get over is how bad the ADR was there. Rumour is that it was originally I Wish it Could be Christmas Every Day but they recut it and dubbed in new audio after Black Mirror.

Not sure if there's any truth to that but I could see it being true.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Jet Jaguar posted:

The Enemy Of The World starts on an Australian beach.

TheKeeper
Jul 18, 2003

Quantum Shit
So.... Do they both have brain damage now? How long were those things liquifying their brains before they woke up?

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
I liked this one. All things considered it's a pretty simple well idea that was well-developed throughout the episode, Santa was handled well (Nick Frost and the actors who did the elves did a fairly good job), and the ending for once didn't feel like a cop out.

Not totally sold on some of the emotional beats, but overall this was a good Christmas special.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
New Christmas episode was fab.

Jet Jaguar posted:

Not a beach, but you could enjoy the sunny Spanish surrounds of The Two Doctors :chef:

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost

Rocksicles posted:

It was boring, the story was retarded, no one was particularly good in it. Nick Frost was wasted.
I'm not writing as essay on something i'd sooner forget.

Counterpoint: It was interesting, the story was mentally functional, everyone was nonspecifically bad in it. Simon Pegg was sober. I am reading an speech on everything I'd later remember.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

TheKeeper posted:

So.... Do they both have brain damage now? How long were those things liquifying their brains before they woke up?

Doesn't matter. Nobody had a head wound when they "really" woke up. So it's all still another level of dreaming.

Maybe the series script editor should've told the writer they'd not be doing even that small level of gore in an xmas special and removed the lines about head wounds when they first woke up.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

So what petition do I need to sign to get Shona as a companion?

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
I used to be pretty sure that you could estimate the quality of a Christmas episode from its initial pitch. Voyage of the Damned sounded like a terrible idea, and it was. Doctor Who doing a Christmas Carol on the other hand was a pretty neat idea, and actually rode it out fairly well. For whatever reason, Christmas specials never seem to rise above the initial idea.

I'm going to retire this line of logic, because despite the utter stupidity of an episode about Santa, this one was actually really really good. It had a bunch of really good ideas, it actually included the Christmas parts of things fairly well, and I'm having one of those moments where I'm realizing that it was actually being more clever than I thought.

Thinking about it, there's actually a lot of logic behind Dave actually being a dream construct of Shop Girl Whose Name I Forgot. The only mentioned interaction between the four on the 'base' before the Doctor and Clara turn up is between those two. He's the only one being impolite to the Doctor as they explain what's going on, because she thinks he's kind of an rear end in a top hat. He brings up Alien because she's been watching it. And he dies first not just because she's not keen on the guy, but because she's big on horror movies and that was exactly the time where someone had to die.

I'd talk more abut this, but I've got this little ice cream headache on the side of my head, so I'm gonna go dig out some painkillers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem
That was really enjoyable. I liked that "dreamy weamy" callback.

• Locked thread