Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Behind-the-scenes info says the former, but that contradicts the Phantom Limb explanation, which I love, so I pretend that it's the latter since nothing in the show proper says otherwise.

If you can say that, then I can say Korrasami isn't canon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaussian
Sep 20, 2001

I'll give you a box of chocolates if you kill me.

Nap Ghost
I just hope Bryan and Mike work together again soon. I will probably buy anything they end up selling.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Behind-the-scenes info says the former, but that contradicts the Phantom Limb explanation, which I love, so I pretend that it's the latter since nothing in the show proper says otherwise.

Season 3 villains were the best villains. Am I right? I just wished Kuvira could have matched them. It, honestly, felt like a step down going from their crew to Kuvira even with her Metal Gear Colossus.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

Crabtree posted:

As nice as a message as the ending was, it's gonna be funny when the comics begin with her breaking up with Asami because Korra is terrible with relationships no matter who its with.

Give Korra some credit. You don't screw up a relationship with someone who names a park after you and builds you a statue in it.

Did the park survive the war? :ohdear:

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

DrSunshine posted:

Does the spirit of Raava have, like, a choice when it comes to who she gets reborn into? Or is she kind of just limited to whatever hand she's dealt? Like what if she was born into a quadraplegic, or a literal psychopath like Joffrey Barratheon?

Raava is always merged with the same spirit, that of Wan's. So I guess if Wan is reborn as a quadraplegic, then the Avatar is that.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Darth Walrus posted:

Also, it probably needs to be mentioned every page that bisexuality is a thing that exists.

Bisexuality is a thing that exists.

Dude, hush, invisibility is the best super power.

Surprisingly Dope
Jan 12, 2011

Lope burgs again
Looking back on Korra and comparing it it to ATLA, I feel like a lot of Korra characters lack presence, especially in team avatar. Mako, Asami, and Bolin to a lesser extent, just aren't very interesting a lot of the time their on stage. Bolin might throw in a joke, but they're never very good ones. I feel like people usually say Sokka was the comic relief character in ATLA but they forget that Toph had a lot of real funny lines. Point is, the main cast of ATLA felt a lot stronger. I think part of the reason I and many others liked Varrick so much is because he really had a presence while on screen, and made any scene he was in better. The show needed more characters like him, I think.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
I dunno. Toph and Zuko, definitely. Sokka sure. I never got particularly attached to Aang or Katara though. I appreciate some things about Aang's character arc, primarily his difficulties learning Earth/Firebending and the whole overarching theme of ideological conflict he went through at various points, but whenever he wasn't doing that stuff he was just kind of an annoying kid. Katara was the designated straightman but I never thought she was very interesting aside from her interactions with Zuko.

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

It all comes out right in the end.
Team Avatar never really cohered in the same way that Original Team Avatar did. They don't have a very good group dynamic and I don't think they ever felt like a group of close friends as opposed to random associates who hang out sometimes. And it's like the writers realized that a bunch of the secondary characters were a lot more interesting than some of the main group, hence why Tenzin and Lin and Varrick get a bunch of scenes in Books 3 and 4 and Asami and Mako just disappear for episodes at a time. Why they thought we needed 200% more Bolin all the time will forever confound me, though.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Darth Nat posted:

Team Avatar never really cohered in the same way that Original Team Avatar did. They don't have a very good group dynamic and I don't think they ever felt like a group of close friends as opposed to random associates who hang out sometimes. And it's like the writers realized that a bunch of the secondary characters were a lot more interesting than some of the main group, hence why Tenzin and Lin and Varrick get a bunch of scenes in Books 3 and 4 and Asami and Mako just disappear for episodes at a time. Why they thought we needed 200% more Bolin all the time will forever confound me, though.

They knew who the best one was, they just had no idea how to use them properly (the answer was lava)

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Genocyber posted:

If you can say that, then I can say Korrasami isn't canon.
They were holding hands and looking at each other in the exact same way that Varrick and Zhu Li were three minutes prior. That's pretty different from "literally never brought up one way or the other in the show."

What I'm saying is we're both in denial, but your denial requires you to either ignore or be willfully dense about things shown on screen.

SpiderHyphenMan fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Dec 26, 2014

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

You're just looking at her through an arm-normative lens.

Edit: Just making a (bad) joke so I'm leaving pre-edit post as is.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
Bolin has some great moments in season 4 but he also has some god drat terrible ones. I liked him rescuing the people fleeing from the prison camp, and him being conflicted about Kuvira. However, I hated him being an idiot during the conference at Zao Fu and him not shutting the gently caress up during the beifong reunion. The last especially was awful.

DJPress
Sep 23, 2006

Lone Wolf and... Lemur?

I really like your avatar. I'm a big KU fan and love Embiid. If only that response to him being drafted hadn't been a tape delay... I did laugh my rear end off when I first saw it happen though.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
One of the big problems with Bolin's character is that the writers failed to properly distinguish between "naive" and "oblivious." They had this problem occasionally with Sokka where he would cross that thin line between "unconventional with a bit of childishness" and "zany," but the lighter tone of that series allowed them to get away with it, and it didn't happen nearly as often as it did with Bolin.
It's like they really wanted to hide the fact that Bolin was meant to be Sokka 2.0 by taking away most of what allowed Sokka to work as a character without adding much that was new.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

One of the big problems with Bolin's character is that the writers failed to properly distinguish between "naive" and "oblivious." They had this problem occasionally with Sokka where he would cross that thin line between "unconventional with a bit of childishness" and "zany," but the lighter tone of that series allowed them to get away with it, and it didn't happen nearly as often as it did with Bolin.
It's like they really wanted to hide the fact that Bolin was meant to be Sokka 2.0 by taking away most of what allowed Sokka to work as a character without adding much that was new.

They finally got Bolin right in book 4, but it's book 4 so we had to put up with zany "put a sock in it" Bolin for 75% of the show. He got much better when they took that sort of terrible humor and hoisted it on Wu.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
Bolin really needed to get those flash cards Sokka gave Ember Island Sokka.

Some quality fanart from Zack Morrison of Paranatural webcomic

Blind Melon
Jan 3, 2006
I like fire, you can have some too.

T-man posted:

1. Literally has been used literally in this sense for years.
2. It's literally in the dictionary
3. The Week is literally the Hitler of the English language.

This thread attracts the worst posters.

Miss Nomer
May 7, 2007
Saving the world in a thong

DrSunshine posted:

Does the spirit of Raava have, like, a choice when it comes to who she gets reborn into? Or is she kind of just limited to whatever hand she's dealt? Like what if she was born into a quadraplegic, or a literal psychopath like Joffrey Barratheon?
Raava joined with Wan and it's Wan's reincarnations that are the Avatars. I'm guessing there was never a psychopath avatar because Wan's base personality was helping people (that being said, they've never been really clear on how they're all the same soul yet several of them are running around in the spirit world at the same time). As for being a quadriplegic,... the firenation avatar standing behind Aang doesn't have any arms, so this could probably happen.

Waffleopolis
Apr 24, 2005

It's time....for the MAIN event!

Miss Nomer posted:

Raava joined with Wan and it's Wan's reincarnations that are the Avatars. I'm guessing there was never a psychopath avatar because Wan's base personality was helping people (that being said, they've never been really clear on how they're all the same soul yet several of them are running around in the spirit world at the same time). As for being a quadriplegic,... the firenation avatar standing behind Aang doesn't have any arms, so this could probably happen.

That's Roku and he does have arms.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
She's referring to the avatar two rows behind Aang.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

DJPress posted:

I really like your avatar. I'm a big KU fan and love Embiid. If only that response to him being drafted hadn't been a tape delay... I did laugh my rear end off when I first saw it happen though.

Yeah, that was amazing, and I could've believed it either way considering Philly's situation. Wiggins/Embiid was my Korrasami last season. ::3:

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

OFF MY MEDS AGAIN PLEASE DON'T USE BIG WORDS

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK

Rosalind posted:

They finally got Bolin right in book 4, but it's book 4 so we had to put up with zany "put a sock in it" Bolin for 75% of the show. He got much better when they took that sort of terrible humor and hoisted it on Wu.

Bolin is basically the awesomely silly but endearing younger/older brother we all wish we could have. A massive doofus but his heart is always in the right place.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
I think very few people would actually want to be related to Bolin considering how much of a dick he can be (end of S3 holy poo poo).

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
LoK basically abandoned the whole idea of "team Avatar" as pointlessly aping the first series and became more of an ensemble instead of the party of four dynamic and that's fine. LoK is at its best when it's not trying to be ATLA. You may have wanted Team Avatar to be front and center all the time but then we wouldn't have gotten the kind of depth that Tenzin and Lin showed.

Could have used more Asami though myself.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
I'm not sure which of those is more impressive, a woman knocking up another woman or Sokka knocking up a celestial body.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

The Sharmat posted:

I'm not sure which of those is more impressive, a woman knocking up another woman or Sokka knocking up a celestial body.
Sokka, cause he will rock-ya.

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

OFF MY MEDS AGAIN PLEASE DON'T USE BIG WORDS

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK
Well I just watched the first 2 episodes of Avatar. It's.. Ok? It's a bunch of silly kids, a funny old guy, and an angry teenager. Slapstick shenanigans abound. Whereas Korra felt like a mature ish show from the start right now Avatar seems more child friendly without being stupid.

I don't know why but my PS3 is not up scaling this show nicely at all. Beast Wars even looks good up scaled on this set. Paranorman and Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs looked good. Top Gear UK looks solid. But Avatar has issues, only some of which are solved by going double scale option on the PS3. If anything it reminds me of playing the Wii or the Saturn or Dreamcast on the same set. (Latter 2 with S video, former with component.). Vaguely Vaseline smeared look on the screen which kind of irritates me.

I might have enjoyed it more if the video output wasn't annoying me so much, I don't know. Tonight I should have time for two more episodes before work however.

But so far Korra interested me more from the outset than Avatar is. Course Korra was maybe someone I could relate more to than a goofy kid, a girl, and her trying to hard to be manly brother perhaps?

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

S1 has a dramatic upswing in quality throughout, the first episodes are indeed kinda rough.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Nah, seasons 1-2 are pretty low quality and no amount of upscaling will help you there. Also the first half of season 1 is pretty poop, as someone who marathoned ATLA to catch up with Korra.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I meant the writing and stuff :v:
I once came across fake!HD upscales, they looked decent enough from what I saw of them.

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

Eej posted:

Nah, seasons 1-2 are pretty low quality and no amount of upscaling will help you there. Also the first half of season 1 is pretty poop, as someone who marathoned ATLA to catch up with Korra.

Third episode of Season 1 still has what is probably some of my favorite choreography in a fight in ATLA or LOK. The end of Season 2's The Chase might be my actual favorite though.

I really, really like when they get really good focus on fight choreography. And conversely, I really hate when they stop being cool martial arts with element effects, and start being wizards who wave their hands to do magic. Season 3 of ATLA seemed to do the Wizard thing a lot more. Korra had some great choreography, but also seemed to entirely forget fight choreography.

I also liked Spirits a lot more in ATLA, as they were more like individual phenomenon or entities with their own problems that could be rationalized with (after you understood their 'logic') and so on. LOK had a lot of handwaving of 'Spirits are angry!!!!', a lot of generic 'spirits' that get literally handwaved (she literally waves her hands in the air and they palette swap from good to bad).

Ambivalent fucked around with this message at 12:32 on Dec 26, 2014

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Zedd posted:

S1 has a dramatic upswing in quality throughout, the first episodes are indeed kinda rough.

On a rewatch the first half of the first season feels outright bad to me, but it's just because I'd come to expect more from the franchise. I'd honestly say only four episodes in Water are at the same level of quality as the rest of the franchise. The reason it's remembered so well compared to its actual quality is that two of those episodes are the finale, and the last word means a lot in terms of peoples' impressions.

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son

Ambivalent posted:

Third episode of Season 1 still has what is probably some of my favorite choreography in a fight in ATLA or LOK. The end of Season 2's The Chase might be my actual favorite though.

I really, really like when they get really good focus on fight choreography. And conversely, I really hate when they stop being cool martial arts with element effects, and start being wizards who wave their hands to do magic. Season 3 of ATLA seemed to do the Wizard thing a lot more. Korra had some great choreography, but also seemed to entirely forget fight choreography.

I also liked Spirits a lot more in ATLA, as they were more like individual phenomenon or entities with their own problems that could be rationalized with (after you understood their 'logic') and so on. LOK had a lot of handwaving of 'Spirits are angry!!!!', a lot of generic 'spirits' that get literally handwaved (she literally waves her hands in the air and they palette swap from good to bad).

I didn't like the spirits in Korra, they all looked like minor video game enemies, like out of Psychonauts or something.

None of them were as cool as say, Hei Bai or Koh, they were all just weirdo animals that talked like people.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
The Spirit World itself is way better in LoK though.

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

HoneyBoy posted:

I didn't like the spirits in Korra, they all looked like minor video game enemies, like out of Psychonauts or something.

None of them were as cool as say, Hei Bai or Koh, they were all just weirdo animals that talked like people.

Yeah, this exactly. I much more liked the Spirits-As-Characters. When Book 2 was announced, I was really excited to think we were going to get Korra adventures with the likes of Hei Bai or Koh.
Aang couldn't ever fight those spirits, he had to talk to them and deal with them. I thought it would make a sensible/good character arc to have Korra face off against entities she couldn't actually beat up, but had to learn how to navigate and deal with like Aang did.

Instead, she gets taught how to literally handwave them and make them Be Good again.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Book 2 overall entertained me and I didn't hate it like you guys did, but it is pretty funny that Vaatu says poo poo like "To hate me is to give me breath. To fight me is to give me life." and then Wan beats him by hitting him a lot.

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011

HoneyBoy posted:

edit: If they're reborn as someone like Ming Hua then they're probably capable of overcoming it like she was. By the way did she die? I hope not, she was awesome, I like that she was the Red Lotus' driver.
She wasn't the Red Lotus' driver, she only took the wheel when it made sense, such as the time she did and the rest of her friends made better choices to cover them when they escape.

Misandrist Wytch posted:

I feel like people usually say Sokka was the comic relief character in ATLA but they forget that Toph had a lot of real funny lines.
Sokka and Bolin were the comic reliefs in the sense that we laughed when something bad happened to them. If I remember correctly, Sokka also had moments when he was exasperated by other people's idiocy, which we can see in Bolin whenever he is in Varrick's company in Book 4.

Eej posted:

I think very few people would actually want to be related to Bolin considering how much of a dick he can be (end of S3 holy poo poo).
You're referring to the part when he pushed Su away from Opal?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

The Sharmat posted:

Book 2 overall entertained me and I didn't hate it like you guys did, but it is pretty funny that Vaatu says poo poo like "To hate me is to give me breath. To fight me is to give me life." and then Wan beats him by hitting him a lot.

I just assumed it was a demoralizing tactic. There's a character in Diablo 3 that does the same thing and it's pretty funny how every time you slaughter his minions he goes "well, you beat them, but your doom is still certain!!!"

• Locked thread