Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

ShadowStalker posted:

But imagine the Thanksgiving dinner you could have with an Ostrich instead of Turkey. You could feed 50.

My uncle decided to raise some turkeys this fall and waited too long to butcher them. One of the males dressed out at 55 lbs!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

apatite
Dec 2, 2006

Got yer back, Jack

Blistex posted:

My uncle decided to raise some turkeys this fall and waited too long to butcher them. One of the males dressed out at 55 lbs!

Turkeys are ASSHOLES though. We used to have a couple and I don't miss those bastards one bit (ok maybe the female a little, she was nice most of the time)

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Raising and butchering animals is just a distraction from the two things that matter most in life: horsepower and fire.

Also ostriches are pricks. I saw one kick the rear end of a guy at the zoo once.

vanmartin
Feb 2, 2005
WWBD?

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Also ostriches are pricks. I saw one kick the rear end of a guy at the zoo once.

Years ago I spotted a small ostrich chick walking around all alone on the side of the road (they're indigenous to the country I live in but not our region). I felt sorry for the bird and caught it as it was bound to get run over at some point. And then I gave it away as fast as I could because I'm not an idiot and don't want a killer-death-bird as a pet.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Slung Blade posted:

Also, LIFT

Trying to get in better shape. I used to lift all the time at my old job, not as regular as I'd like. With the home gym I've been pretty drat consistent since November though, so yay for that.

I have to do something, I'd freeze to death working outside right now.

If you don't mind my asking, how much did you pay for your home gym setup? Your rack looks like exactly the kind of thing I'd want to set up for my own routine.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

I actually got the rack and bench for free. Helped my friend carry his new one into his basement and helped build the thing. (It had a cable setup with something ridiculous like 600 pounds of plate, so I earned it :v: )

An equivalent model squat cage is about 400-500 bucks. Bench itself, probably around 200ish.

I bought a cheap set of olymplic hole sized ceramic filled plates for around 200 bucks (300 pounds total). A pair of good 45# bumper plates for... I want to say 100? 150 maybe? and two more pairs of used 45 pound plates for a hundred bucks.

Cheap mirrors for 20 bucks each. Three good resistance bands for warm ups, stretches, accessory work or whatever, about 70.

So it adds up. You can do it pretty cheap if you don't mind buying used. New year's is long past, there should be lots of good deals in your area by now. Weights don't tend to go bad :)

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

DizzyBum posted:

If you don't mind my asking, how much did you pay for your home gym setup? Your rack looks like exactly the kind of thing I'd want to set up for my own routine.

Check this thread - http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3413428

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

ShadowStalker posted:

But imagine the Thanksgiving dinner you could have with an Ostrich instead of Turkey. You could feed 50.

More than that if you manage to cobble together an Osturducken

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Thanks for the home gym advice! I figure I'll start browsing Craigslist just before we move out of our apartment and find an actual house to rent.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Work continues on the car. I've decided to only post landmark events in this thread, partially to keep people who don't roam into AI on a regular basis up to date, and partially to keep this thread bumped.

I have torn down the diff, replaced every bearing and seal, and installed the truetrac posi. Only took a month and a half! :suicide:

Details available here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3552186&pagenumber=5#post429524836

Brakes, suspension refreshing, and electrical remain to make it roadworthy.

vanmartin
Feb 2, 2005
WWBD?

Much obliged

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

So today in my life, I'm learning how to use a straight razor (two days in now, fun as hell, have not cut off face) having not wetshaved in, oh, about 15+ years.

Also my house was getting buzzed by a cropduster this morning. That was fuckin awesome.

It's hard to get a picture of the dude, he's an amazing pilot. I've seen him in the area before, has no loving fear of anything it seems

I really like this one, despite the fuzziness.

Work on the car continues. Axle is totally assembled, new springs and bushings / perches and all that poo poo is installed.
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3552186&pagenumber=5#post431370707

fork bomb
Apr 26, 2010

:shroom::shroom:

Build a coop and get some chickens.

GabrielAisling
Dec 21, 2011

The finest of all dances.

fork bomb posted:

Build a coop and get some chickens.

This. I bet you'd be great at chicken math! :science: Chickens are also a near-endless source of entertainment and will keep your yard clean (of everything, including grass) for free! Morehens isn't a disease, it's a way of life.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

I'm still thinking goats would be pretty cool.

So work continues on the car. Brakes are installed, lines are plumbed in, lights are all fixed (except the license plate light). Just need the master cylinder installed, a tune up, brakes bled, and a horn fix and the bitch will be ready to go. http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3552186&pagenumber=6#post433500189

Attended the Pioneer Acres show again this year.
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3650719&perpage=40&pagenumber=5#post433415830

:siren: Tractor is once more victorious in the slow race. :siren:

Before the event, I filled the batteries with water for the first time since I installed them 5 years ago. They were only down a tiny bit, about a centimeter per cell, used less than 2.5 litres for all 8 of them! That 48v charger is amazingly gentle and consistent.

Got loads of attention again from all the old timers and young people for bringing it again. It also got to do some useful work, we got a huge rainstorm Friday night and the organizers were looking for some tractors that could start quick, and mine naturally came to mind. So me and another guy in a Massey 44 are running harrows like these with the organizer sitting on it:

through gravel mud like this:

And half way through the job this poor bastard:

he runs out of gas. After enduring all weekend of people asking "HOW LONG CAN THAT THING RUN" I felt pretty vindicated as I finished the job and his tractor sat there while he was running to get a can of gas.

Also have I mentioned my grandma is awesome? 25 some years ago she made this bit of knitting.

It's pretty beat up and wore out, so I asked her to make me a new one for what was their old truck. :3:

It's actually made the seats a little more comfortable, and it looks amazing. I love my grandparents, they're great.

Slung Blade fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Aug 14, 2014

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007
A good grandma or grandpa is worth a million other people. They're the best! Love the seat cover and congrats on the tractor success again this year!

Have you thought about what breed of goats you would want?

You should still get chickens. We finally did and they're the best thing.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Faerunner posted:

Have you thought about what breed of goats you would want?

The ones with floopy ears :3:

Work on the car continues, it is semi-drivable now. Just need to work on a couple more issues to make it road legal.
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3552186&pagenumber=8&perpage=40#post435804917

When I sold my old truck, I lost the ability to move my canoe around. Going goose hunting tomorrow with a buddy and we figured we would need to bring something that can traverse water.

This afternoon, I put together the world's shittiest canoe rack.

Took it for a quick test drive, 100kph on a calm day, seems ok. And it can hold my rear end up no problem. It'll work for the odd short trip I suppose.

Fall is coming on strong :smith:

Costello Jello
Oct 24, 2003

It had to start somewhere
Your electric tractor amazes me. Is that a bunch of marine batteries? What's your wiring scheme?

I really want to get a canoe, but I'd like a really light fiberglass one because I've got health problems that make dealing with the heavy plastic ones a real pain. And they are pretty expensive it turns out.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Costello Jello posted:

Your electric tractor amazes me. Is that a bunch of marine batteries? What's your wiring scheme?

I really want to get a canoe, but I'd like a really light fiberglass one because I've got health problems that make dealing with the heavy plastic ones a real pain. And they are pretty expensive it turns out.

48v worth of Trojan 6volts. I think t105, maybe 125, can't remember the model number off the top of my head. Wired in series through the motor controller.

Used in everything from golf carts, motorhomes, to home solar power storage systems.

My plastic canoe is pretty light for what it is. I can lift it and load it no problem myself. I wouldn't want to portage it very far though, for sure.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Here is a pretty decent rundown of canoes including the different design shapes, sizes, and materials and what they're good for.

Basically it's fine to want a lightweight canoe but there are a lot of other factors that affect what type you should get. There are a lot of canoe materials that are lighter than fibreglass, too.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

GabrielAisling posted:

This. I bet you'd be great at chicken math! :science: Chickens are also a near-endless source of entertainment and will keep your yard clean (of everything, including grass) for free! Morehens isn't a disease, it's a way of life.

I'm late on this one but as a chicken owner you can never go wrong with them, they are loving hysterical and great animals to watch run around being stupid rear end chickens. Endless entertainment.

Another good bird, but loud as poo poo, is a guinea hen. They are great around gardens and are tick destroying machines.

Boer goats are cool but pygmy and Nigerian dwarfs are great little pets. I know a few people that keep them.

Quail are easy to raise and tasty and ready to eat in 2 months. You can keep a constant supply on hand.

You could also add a few 300 gallon stock tanks and raise channel cat and tilapia. And set up some barrel-ponics for tomatoes, greens and herbs.

vanmartin
Feb 2, 2005
WWBD?
Boer goats are awesome and happen to be excellent climbers so don't have a heart attack when you find them in your trees - a levitating goat wizard has not invaded your property. They also laugh in the face of shoddy fences. I'd get some purely for the reaction value you get from people driving past your property and staring at the goats in your trees.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Costello Jello posted:

If you're looking for something light, have you considered a kayak instead? If you're going solo, they're a heck of a lot easier to lift, carry, and push around in the water than a canoe. I'm a big fan of the Ascend D10. It fits on top of my Cherokee, weighs 45lbs, and is wider than most kayaks so it makes a very stable fishing platform.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Liquid Communism posted:

If you're looking for something light, have you considered a kayak instead? If you're going solo, they're a heck of a lot easier to lift, carry, and push around in the water than a canoe. I'm a big fan of the Ascend D10. It fits on top of my Cherokee, weighs 45lbs, and is wider than most kayaks so it makes a very stable fishing platform.

If I was looking for a good solo boat, I'd probably go for one of those Hobie's with the penguin flipper things you work with your feet. And a sailing mast/ outrigger pontoon. Those look rad. Travel, camp, and fish all in one, great concept.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Happy Boxing day everyone. Been a long time since I posted anything in here but hey, 1 am on a holiday is as good a time as any.

The car isn't getting much progress right now due to it being wrench-shattering-due-to-frigid-temperatures cold outside, but it's in a decent place for the winter.

My sump pump, after 4 years of faithful, near continuous service finally gave up the ghost a month back or so. The check valve housing has been cracked for some time, but it always mostly worked until recently when the impeller stopped spinning properly. I might refurb it, or take it to a pump place that does that kind of thing, it is a good pump and it would be nice to have a spare if nothing else.

This lovely salty ground water does not play nice with mechanical things.

I got a nice replacement from lowe's, all pre-plumbed and came with the up-pipe, the check valve, and the float switch ready to go. Took a little cajoling to get it all in there and adjusted, but it's doing a great job so far. Much easier to 'tune' this type of switch as well, might be able to make some headway on the standing ground water level now. Or it'll just burn this pump out faster, either way really. Look at all that salt build up in the sump, loving nasty.

It being the holidays, I have been up to my usual mass-baking antics. This year I made little pecan christmas poops.

Despite the way they look, they are quite tasty, made with berry sugar, butter, flour, pecans and a little icing sugar. I switched to rolling them and cutting the log to make the cookies about halfway through, hand forming each one is for suckers. This is about half of what I made, didn't grab a pic of all of it because I was making them 4 batches at a time and giving them away as fast as I made them.

And a Jamaican rum cake thing, sans the fruit because that's too much like fruit cake and gently caress that poo poo.

I also made a thing for a friend to give away which I am pretty proud of.

Tried deer hunting for the first time in november too, didn't manage to bag any, but it was a drat fun time regardless. Also it turns out I really like duck hunting, and those little buggers are pretty delicious!

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

Slung Blade posted:

Also it turns out I really like duck hunting, and those little buggers are pretty delicious!

:laugh:

torpedan
Jul 17, 2003
Lets make Uncle Ben proud

That literally was the same thought I had.

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007

Slung Blade posted:

Happy Boxing day everyone.

Merry Christmas/Happy Boxing Day/New Year's and thank you for the update! You've been doing well, obviously... nice pecan turds!

PS are you getting goats in the spring?

lonelywurm
Aug 10, 2009
Your baking looks delicious, but I'd mainly like to say you have excellent taste in teabags.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Faerunner posted:

PS are you getting goats in the spring?

Thanks, and nah, probably not. That might be a fun thing to do when I'm retired though.

lonelywurm posted:

Your baking looks delicious, but I'd mainly like to say you have excellent taste in teabags.

I generally go for looseleaf stuff, but yeah, that yorkshire tea is surprisingly good for a grocery store offering. It's just a small part of my 'collection' though :v:

lonelywurm
Aug 10, 2009

Slung Blade posted:

I generally go for looseleaf stuff, but yeah, that yorkshire tea is surprisingly good for a grocery store offering. It's just a small part of my 'collection' though :v:

I am extremely jealous. I can only justify splurging on good looseleaf stuff when I'm sick. For the rest of the time, Taylors of Harrogate is about the best bagged black tea I've ever found.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

I'm pretty lucky, there's a huge asian supermarket not far from me, and they have a tenren's tea shop in the same complex. Most of those bags are in the $20-30 range. They sell everything though, up to stuff that costs 200 bucks a kilo. Or maybe pound, I forget what units they use there.

I usually buy one fancy little bag to check for different flavours, and there are some really, really nice ones out there.

Amstrad
Apr 4, 2007

To destroy evil you must become an even greater evil.
When you mentioned your sump had been serving you for 4 years I had a holy poo poo moment and had to go back and check and it's all true, this thread is nearly 4 years old. Still vicariously living the dream through your thread, thanks for running it all this time man.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Amstrad posted:

When you mentioned your sump had been serving you for 4 years I had a holy poo poo moment and had to go back and check and it's all true, this thread is nearly 4 years old. Still vicariously living the dream through your thread, thanks for running it all this time man.

poo poo man, that's nothing. My blacksmithing thread has been active since 2008.

Plenty of other threads have been around a lot longer than that even.

We're all of us getting old.

I'm just glad people still enjoy reading about the stuff I get up to, thanks for sticking with me :unsmith:

Pagan
Jun 4, 2003

As someone who has been genuinely inspired by your projects, I'm not just sticking with you. I have a garage forge now, and some wood working tools, and I don't shy away from repairing things around the house. You make almost everything look easy enough to try it out. So I did! Thanks.

spooky girlfriend
Oct 21, 2014

good thread OP, very interesting

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Thanks guys.

Little update to keep this out of the archives.

:siren: THINGS I HAVE BOUGHT IN THE LAST TWO MONTHS :siren:

ANOTHER TRUCK 2007 3/4 ton (for the first time ever, I own a 4x4, which will be great next winter)

A new* trailer!
[image not yet available because it is not here yet]

Literally thousands of rounds of .22lr for killing gophers at my neighbour's place!
[come on you don't need a picture of boxes]

Misery!

And I have something special cooking up if I can swing it financially.

*trailer is 10 years older than my already 10 year old tent trailer but will be loads better for hunting, and my sister was sick of not having a built in toilet when she goes camping with me. What a princess, am I right?

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007

Slung Blade posted:

Thanks guys.

Little update to keep this out of the archives.

:siren: THINGS I HAVE BOUGHT IN THE LAST TWO MONTHS :siren:

Misery!

Where do you buy misery and can I mail some to my enemies?

Also, tell your sister to pee in a hole like the rest of us do on camping trips! Toilets are for civilized people.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Faerunner posted:

Where do you buy misery and can I mail some to my enemies?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fire Storm
Aug 8, 2004

what's the point of life
if there are no sexborgs?

Slung Blade posted:

Literally thousands of rounds of .22lr for killing gophers at my neighbour's place!
[come on you don't need a picture of boxes]
No, but we do need a tasteful display of ammo porn.