Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

muike posted:

it's hard to beat that tradition

yeah i mean you can pot your pickups and shield the cavities and all that and it's a good idea, but if you have a high gain amp the only way to avoid crazy feedback is either stand 20 feet away from it or get a noise gate

Agrinja posted:

This is somewhat directed at WDE, but at anybody really. With the pondering if assorted strange stuff to do to electronics, just how big can you have control cavities without running into structural issues? I'd imagine pretty big given how big some of the weight routes on stuff like thinline teles are.

as long as there's enough material to handle the tension from the strings at both ends, you're good to go. people make homemade instruments out of a mop handle or whatever, so you don't need that much

e: also everyone should make a canjo at some point just to see what you can do with like $10 (or less) worth of materials

Alec Bald Snatch fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Dec 26, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

The Triad Frog is pleased with this custom title purchase.

Agrinja posted:

This is somewhat directed at WDE, but at anybody really. With the pondering if assorted strange stuff to do to electronics, just how big can you have control cavities without running into structural issues? I'd imagine pretty big given how big some of the weight routes on stuff like thinline teles are.

As long as you don't hollow out the actual area where the bridge will latch on, you should have full run of the rest of the body to stuff whatever electrical horror show you want. If you're going hog wild, there's all sorts of fun things you can put in from onboard boost and distortion to something crazy like this thing http://www.guitarfetish.com/Genuine-Epiphone-Lucille-Varitone-replacement-boards_p_11664.html

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

What the hell does that thing you linked even do?

W424
Oct 21, 2010

Feeling nostalgic about playing the metals right about now.

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

The Triad Frog is pleased with this custom title purchase.

Allen Wren posted:

What the hell does that thing you linked even do?

It's the tone control switch for http://www.epiphone.com/Products/Archtop/B-B-King-Lucille.aspx and it does all sorts of weird stuff to the tone. I can't even begin to say what it actually does outside of "Sounds really neat" though.

Agrinja
Nov 30, 2013

Praise the Sun!

Total Clam

comes along bort posted:

yeah i mean you can pot your pickups and shield the cavities and all that and it's a good idea, but if you have a high gain amp the only way to avoid crazy feedback is either stand 20 feet away from it or get a noise gate

as long as there's enough material to handle the tension from the strings at both ends, you're good to go. people make homemade instruments out of a mop handle or whatever, so you don't need that much

e: also everyone should make a canjo at some point just to see what you can do with like $10 (or less) worth of materials

pointlessone posted:

As long as you don't hollow out the actual area where the bridge will latch on, you should have full run of the rest of the body to stuff whatever electrical horror show you want. If you're going hog wild, there's all sorts of fun things you can put in from onboard boost and distortion to something crazy like this thing http://www.guitarfetish.com/Genuine-Epiphone-Lucille-Varitone-replacement-boards_p_11664.html

Sweet. Seriously, seriously tempted when I get my tools back to do up a couple custom boards and try to construct some monstrosity of 'How much electronic nonsense can be crammed in a cheap guitar?' Hopefully the answer will in the least be 'The entire filter section of a Polivoks.'

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.

pointlessone posted:

It's the tone control switch for http://www.epiphone.com/Products/Archtop/B-B-King-Lucille.aspx and it does all sorts of weird stuff to the tone. I can't even begin to say what it actually does outside of "Sounds really neat" though.

It's a varitone. On a simple level it switches between different capacitor values for your tone circuit. You can easily make a custom one with a rotary switch and a bag full of caps. Get a few orange drops between 0.047uf and 0.022uf then add in some cheap caps made of different materials at different values. There's even a way to blend high and low pass filters which will kill most of your output if it's anything like rolling off the tone and enabling the strangle switch on my VI

Fair Hallion
Jul 25, 2007

:toot: :toot: :toot: :toot:

the gently caress

it's like a Thunderbird bass on thalidomide.

thalidobird

IronLawnmower
Aug 28, 2014

W424 posted:

Feeling nostalgic about playing the metals right about now.

Deathpunk is the next big thing I tells ya.

I'll look into getting a noise gate because I don't feel like fiddling around the insides of my only guitar. I'll fiddle around with the kit-tar

E:on the back of the amp there's a switch with some numbers that goes from 4 omhs to 16 omhs. What does this do?

IronLawnmower fucked around with this message at 12:00 on Dec 26, 2014

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
Adjusts the output impedance (ohms) to match your cabinets (speakers). Make sure the the numbers match up and don't play with it.

For more than one speaker, you'll need to check how it's wired if you are changing things from stock.

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

Well, take one rarely used Burns Trisonic pickup from the bottom drawer, a public holiday, a chisel and my $150 LP Junior.... and I came up with this!

Filling two needs: I just can't do my gigging work with one single humbucker. Tried, can't. Secondly, the Burns pickup has never had a proper home... it just seemed like a wimpy Fender single coil to me. This'll give me a chance to take it out into the big world and see if it's any good. Has anyone used one much?

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Chrpno posted:

Well, take one rarely used Burns Trisonic pickup from the bottom drawer, a public holiday, a chisel and my $150 LP Junior.... and I came up with this!

:hfive:

I bought a $40 Teisco. Found the truss rod was seized, so ordered up a Squier VM Jazzmaster neck to have some fun with.

EDIT: it's also probably about to get a Telecaster bridge too :haw:

Sockington fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Dec 26, 2014

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway.when you had sex with me and that monkey
Soiled Meat

Chrpno posted:

Filling two needs: I just can't do my gigging work with one single humbucker. Tried, can't. Secondly, the Burns pickup has never had a proper home... it just seemed like a wimpy Fender single coil to me. This'll give me a chance to take it out into the big world and see if it's any good. Has anyone used one much?

I like Tri-Sonics, nice jangly pickups that sound awesome with a bit of reverb. You know the James Bond song? That's pretty much the Burns/Trisonic signature sound. They sound quite nice over-driven too, Brian May has them in his guitar (although he may have rewound them and he uses lots of phase switches and such). I'd put the sound between a strat single coil and a danelectro lipstick pickup.

I'm pretty drunk (back from a night out. I took a pack of 10 little cocktail umbrellas with me and refused to drink anything that didn't have an umbrella in it. Then I ran out of umbrellas and it all get's a bit fuzzy) so forgive me if I'm being stupid, but where is the switch?

Sockington posted:

:hfive:

I bought a $40 Teisco. Found the truss rod was seized, so ordered up a Squier VM Jazzmaster neck to have some fun with.

EDIT: it's also probably about to get a Telecaster bridge too :haw:

Have you tried unseizing it with warm penetrating oil? I've saved about 5-6 necks this way.

ZombieParts
Jul 18, 2009

ASK ME ABOUT VISITING PROSTITUTES IN CHINA AND FEELING NO SHAME. MY FRIEND IS SERIOUSLY THE (PATHETIC) YODA OF PAYING WOMEN TO TOUCH HIS (AND MY) DICK. THEY WOULDN'T DO IT OTHERWISE.

IronLawnmower posted:

Deathpunk is the next big thing I tells ya.

I'll look into getting a noise gate because I don't feel like fiddling around the insides of my only guitar. I'll fiddle around with the kit-tar

E:on the back of the amp there's a switch with some numbers that goes from 4 omhs to 16 omhs. What does this do?

You're the one with the 6505, right? If it's feeding back you probably have poo poo pickups. It can also be the cables. Replacing your pickups will instantly improve the sound and response of that amp. Don't go hog wild and get overpowered pickups either. Gimmick poo poo like invaders, nazguls, and distortions don't sound good. Get a 59, Tex Mex, or an alnico (slash model) or at a stretch a Screamin' Demon. Then you have a good strong base for what's going into the amp. The 6505 is a pro tier amp so it favors an overdrive to help direct the sound. Get a tubescreamer for sustain, or a YJM overdrive for a really loud transparent'ish boost that'll push the sound. If you just want to sound like a power mad god get a Marshall Guvnor + - it's like jacking a JCM 800 in front of the 6505. Don't get an NS2 unless you're playing loud or live a lot. You don't need it.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
actually distortions are pretty cool but invaders do suck imo

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

White Dog Eggs posted:

I like Tri-Sonics, nice jangly pickups that sound awesome with a bit of reverb.

but where is the switch?

In a craaaazy move, there's one volume for each pickup and no tone control anymore! I never use em anyway.

Thanks for the James Bond info, I love that sound, probably won't be quite the same in the neck position tho. Never liked Brian May's tone too much but it's certainly distinctive...

Concatenation
Jul 23, 2005

Your human mentality cries out for vengeance and thrives on the violence you say you can hardly endure.
smdh if you're running a 6505 at giggin volume without a decimator and boost

ferroque
Oct 27, 2007

"6505? heh, try the 6534+ :smug: " - my old roommate

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rprf7LEraU4

IronLawnmower
Aug 28, 2014

ZombieParts posted:

You're the one with the 6505, right? If it's feeding back you probably have poo poo pickups. It can also be the cables. Replacing your pickups will instantly improve the sound and response of that amp. Don't go hog wild and get overpowered pickups either. Gimmick poo poo like invaders, nazguls, and distortions don't sound good. Get a 59, Tex Mex, or an alnico (slash model) or at a stretch a Screamin' Demon. Then you have a good strong base for what's going into the amp. The 6505 is a pro tier amp so it favors an overdrive to help direct the sound. Get a tubescreamer for sustain, or a YJM overdrive for a really loud transparent'ish boost that'll push the sound. If you just want to sound like a power mad god get a Marshall Guvnor + - it's like jacking a JCM 800 in front of the 6505. Don't get an NS2 unless you're playing loud or live a lot. You don't need it.

I believe they're BC Rich BDSM pick-ups. They're so sensitive if I tap them with my fingers it makes noise. I'll look into pickups even though I have no goddamn idea what I'm doing.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
presented without comment or judgment:

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Sire Oblivion posted:

I'm not sure if you're joking or that opinions in this thread have hit a new low.

nah that wood is just straight up ugly, looks like a table top.would be fine with a finish

Oscar Romeo Romeo posted:

I got itty bitty Tone Blocks! :D

GV is the correct choice of tobacco for those who love tone imo

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Manky posted:

looksl ike a cheap knock off of one of the PRS dragons

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway.when you had sex with me and that monkey
Soiled Meat

IronLawnmower posted:

I believe they're BC Rich BDSM pick-ups. They're so sensitive if I tap them with my fingers it makes noise. I'll look into pickups even though I have no goddamn idea what I'm doing.

Turn your amp up pretty loud and talk into the pickup. If you hear your voice coming out the speaker, them pickups is microphonic son!

E: if you want to go the route of new pickups, look into Artec stuff. Those BDSM pickups are kind of infamous for not being up to much. I used to have shitloads at one point, they didn't sell on ebay so I ended up stripping them down and using them for pickup experiments. They don't sound too bad if you split them apart and use them as single coils, oddly enough.

Barnaby Rudge fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Dec 27, 2014

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

Soiled Meat

Stux posted:

looksl ike a cheap knock off of one of the PRS dragons

£15,000 guitar with a £3 bridge, lol. It's probably got one of those huge neck heels too. Shameful poo poo.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

White Dog Eggs posted:

£15,000 guitar with a £3 bridge, lol. It's probably got one of those huge neck heels too. Shameful poo poo.

PRS.txt

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

Soiled Meat

Stux posted:

PRS.txt

I would like to raise my valuation to £3.92 'coz the pay extra for the gold paint.

IronLawnmower
Aug 28, 2014

White Dog Eggs posted:

Turn your amp up pretty loud and talk into the pickup. If you hear your voice coming out the speaker, them pickups is microphonic son!

E: if you want to go the route of new pickups, look into Artec stuff. Those BDSM pickups are kind of infamous for not being up to much. I used to have shitloads at one point, they didn't sell on ebay so I ended up stripping them down and using them for pickup experiments. They don't sound too bad if you split them apart and use them as single coils, oddly enough.

I tried the "turn my amp up pretty loud" and the feedback was physically painful and this is with headphones on to over some kind of muffling. I'll look up Artec pick ups since they seem to be pretty cheap. Which ones?

ZombieParts
Jul 18, 2009

ASK ME ABOUT VISITING PROSTITUTES IN CHINA AND FEELING NO SHAME. MY FRIEND IS SERIOUSLY THE (PATHETIC) YODA OF PAYING WOMEN TO TOUCH HIS (AND MY) DICK. THEY WOULDN'T DO IT OTHERWISE.

IronLawnmower posted:

You don't have to worry much because basically anything you get from Seymour Duncan or DiMarzio is going to be an improvement over stock BC Rich. I'd personally get some Duncan JBs if I needed humbuckers.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

Manky posted:

if i could see it better i'd probably like it less but it seems like it might be cool.

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

Soiled Meat

IronLawnmower posted:

I tried the "turn my amp up pretty loud" and the feedback was physically painful and this is with headphones on to over some kind of muffling. I'll look up Artec pick ups since they seem to be pretty cheap. Which ones?

Assuming you are playing metal and casting aesthetics to the wind, I'd go for one of these for the neck and one of these for the bridge.

The BDSM pickups tend to sound muddy, I've used this set-up before and found them to be pretty good together.

e:

Manky posted:

I have a feeling that one day I'll be found slumped in a hedge wearing that exact outfit.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
considering you've already got a 6505+ you could probably snooch by with lower output pickups

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
i just looked at that again and the watermark is "bobsTgirls" and i want to know what manky is checking out

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

muike posted:

i just looked at that again and the watermark is "bobsTgirls" and i want to know what manky is checking out

muike posted:

if i could see it better i'd probably like it less but it seems like it might be cool.

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax

Manky posted:

Guitar: D-
Boobs: F-
Dick: A+

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

Soiled Meat

muike posted:

considering you've already got a 6505+ you could probably snooch by with lower output pickups

Yep, but as they are going in a BC Rich I thought it'd be best to make the guitar a bit hot to match it's appearance. It'd be a bit weird if it sounded like an LP or an SG imo.

Comedy option would be goldfoils.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Manky posted:

:barf:

Stux posted:

PRS.txt
Agreeing... with stux.

HollisBrown posted:

Guitar: D-
Boobs: F-
Dick: A+
Laughed very hard at this.

Dr. Faustus fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Dec 27, 2014

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

please leave the woman in the photo out of this can we just be mean to guitars and not actual people thanks bye

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

What woman?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

get hosed

• Locked thread