Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

That discussion about DmC in the last top 10 video is probably the best explanation I have heard for why it's so disappointing. I think that even people who did enjoy DmC can see where they are coming from.

They would is most of the people who liked DmC didn't just dismiss criticism as "They're just mad that the hair's different." That's why I'm super curious about that Definitive Edition coming out since it sounds like they're changing pretty much everything that Devil May Cry fans hated about the gameplay. If the changes are as drastic as they seem, I wonder how the critics who loved the old gameplay of DmC will react.

Rhonne fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Dec 25, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
DMC is one of those weird critic darlings that reviewers love but didn't sell well remotely, yet dismiss DMC4 for the most part despite being like the highest selling game in the franchise. That's why I was completely surprised why Bayo 2 was getting such acclaim from the same reviewers, because it's everything that DMC wasn't.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

DMC was just ugly to me. Ugly characters in an ugly story set in a visually and thematically ugly world, backed mechanics that lacked any of the grace or spectacle you could manage once you got good at DMC4.

Also I don't know why everyone shits on 4. The story and the levels are lame, but the mechanics are spectacular. Dante is a joy to play once you get comfortable style switching.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
That reaction to Bless was worth the wait. Too bad you KO'd him so quick!

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Spiritus Nox posted:

Also I don't know why everyone shits on 4. The story and the levels are lame, but the mechanics are spectacular. Dante is a joy to play once you get comfortable style switching.

I only played the demo so I'm not really one to talk, but the demo felt leaden and unresponsive to me. It was an absolute chore to get through, so I never bothered buying DMC4. I've not played a DMC game otherwise, despite always meaning to get around to it.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Spiritus Nox posted:

The second half of DMC4, while awesome because of the big thing that happens gameplay-wise, is lazy as gently caress in execution and I don't fault anyone for having a BIG problem with that.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages
I'm loving this Worst of 2013 video, which is basically like a visual podcast so I can get the body language as everyone is speaking. Definitely one of the Friends best videos of the year. Please consider doing more of these.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Tae posted:

DMC is one of those weird critic darlings that reviewers love but didn't sell well remotely, yet dismiss DMC4 for the most part despite being like the highest selling game in the franchise. That's why I was completely surprised why Bayo 2 was getting such acclaim from the same reviewers, because it's everything that DMC wasn't.

Devil May Cry 4 has 84 on Metacritic
DMC has 85
Not much difference.

Bayonetta 2 has 91

I think it lies in the presentation - Bayonetta and Dmc are very flashy games that try to surprise with every stage, while DMC4 relies on fairly generic designs and yeah, the stage reusal is harsh.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

I meant in podcasts. Giantbomb as a whole for example love the poo poo out of DMC, even more so than Revengence. Ironically, Jeff and Pat loves Revengence while MGS fanboy Ryckert doesn't like MGR that much and noted hardcore MGS/Platinum/Japanese Jason AStriker also likes DMC over Revengence.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
:ninja:

VVVVVVVVVVVVVVV

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 09:32 on Dec 26, 2014

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Captain Invictus posted:

Hey Dan, hopefully you see this and can answer me, what are your plans for future Metal Gear Scanlons? Just 3 and 4? Any possibility of having Drew try Revengeance? I think he might like the absurdity of that on a whole different level, plus it's got all the codec conversations you can handle.

There's just something about hypermuscular Dick Cheney fueled by a nanomachine-powered pacemaker that just rubs me the right way

i didnt know dan and drew were with the zaibatsu

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

fatherboxx posted:

Devil May Cry 4 has 84 on Metacritic
DMC has 85
Not much difference.

Bayonetta 2 has 91

I think it lies in the presentation - Bayonetta and Dmc are very flashy games that try to surprise with every stage, while DMC4 relies on fairly generic designs and yeah, the stage reusal is harsh.

It's not that at all. DMC4 for the most part was panned for its stage design being bad, the story (Fuckin lol) and no one liking Nero at the time, which reflects on a metacritic score no matter how much time has passed. Now that being said, the game was received very favorably critically and it was a tear for the fanbase at the time whether it was good or bad. Compare this to DmC which is a game that is pretty easy to just pick up and play and had a large focus on its story and characters. I also feel like there may be some bias involved in its favor due to it being hated by fans for what they perceived as childish reasons, but that might be getting a bit too much into speculation. The game was received favorably, but despite that the game only got a point higher because the game was far more controversial than DMC4.

Really though, what the gently caress is the difference in one point? Metacritic is dumb. Also I would honestly make the debate that DmC has far more generic designs than DMC4, but being that the DmC designs are meant to skew more towards rotted monsters and slightly more western designs that pushes it towards a more relateable style than DMC's where Dante is wearing goofy rear end chaps and Nero has a motorcycle for a sword. I dunno what the hell happened with Bayo 2 for it to get all of these great reviews though and only it.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

I remember a possible explanation is that Bayo 1 did well even back then on metacritic, but releasing a polished version of that gameplay in an environment when there's single-digit action games period this year makes it stand out far more. It also helps that this year is probably the most decisive list of games for end-of-year GOTY discussion because everyone's favorite game is a genre that others don't like or care for, so shows up more when GTA5/Last of Us/Bioshock isn't automatically occupying every list.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
Does anyone remember the name of that horror movie Matt mentioned on last week's podcast, about the storybook monster who becomes real and moves with a low framerate?

ankle
Oct 30, 2010

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

Does anyone remember the name of that horror movie Matt mentioned on last week's podcast, about the storybook monster who becomes real and moves with a low framerate?

The Babadook?

TheRealestMatt
Jun 27, 2014

The Boss. The CEO. The J-Cup Lover.
BABADOOK

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Babadook

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Babadook, great movie to see, fun to say.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
More Escape from Bug Island??? Best late-Christmas/Boxing Day present ever!

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Compendium posted:

More Escape from Bug Island??? Best late-Christmas/Boxing Day present ever!

I came here to say that. I hope after that one we get Rule of Rose, Deadly Premonition's official competition for the best worst game ever award.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

For a game so dingy, grey and utterly humdrum, I sure am surprisingly happy to have more of that playthrough!

Doctor_Fruitbat fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Dec 27, 2014

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

For a game so dingy, brown and utterly humdrum, I sure am surprisingly happy to have more of that playthrough!

The last dialogue in that latest video makes up for any graphical muddiness or repetitive gameplay choices. Well, at least for us, the viewers.

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]
as soon as you step into Beezelbub's TIME CAVE, you know you're in for bad entertaining game

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages
So let's see what they're doing tonight for Friday Night Fisticu.......OH MY GOD BUSHIDO BLADE I LOVE BUSHIDO BLADE SO MUCH AHHHH :dance:

Oh good, you guys went back and unlocked all of the characters in Bushido Blade 2. Man, this game rules.

Edit #2: Bhahahah, that last fight.

Charles Martel fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Dec 27, 2014

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
The Bushido Blades are still amazing and unique, and the fact that there hasn't been a new version on modern hardware is such a pity.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
Blade Symphony reminds me a little bit of Bushido Blade but in the cyberpunk future with a health bar.

E:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W0WM-yR5tww

Improbable Lobster fucked around with this message at 09:52 on Dec 27, 2014

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I hope Rule of Rose is coming up next, it goes in strange dark places and would be great.

Also I think I found Liam's amiibo

Looks just like him.

pulp rag
Feb 25, 2013

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
I don't see him.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Also re: Bushido Blade fisticuffs... I wholeheartedly support a PC-Exclusive Fighting Games Scrublords. The people must know about One Must Fall 2097. They must know.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I hope Rule of Rose is coming up next, it goes in strange dark places and would be great.

Looks just like him.

Liam vs Budman 2015 The Free-For-All in Montreal

e: one of these days I'm going to write into the friendcast and tell them the "I don't know how much you know about japanese culture" thing is fake

Blockhouse fucked around with this message at 11:34 on Dec 27, 2014

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Looks just like him.

That is amazing.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

The Kins posted:

Also re: Bushido Blade fisticuffs... I wholeheartedly support a PC-Exclusive Fighting Games Scrublords. The people must know about One Must Fall 2097. They must know.

This guy knows what's up.

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]

The Kins posted:

I'm okay with this because how else will they ever play the fighting game of the century Vanguard Princess.

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

Catchin' up on the Cryme Tyme LP and two things.

A) That loving Bless appearance. I loving cracked up when Matt just let out a guttural terror scream. It's gotta be fear sweat.

B) No Mercy had the same amount of stabilizability as WM2000 but the menus were smoother. I have nightmares still about trying to put together The Radicals (Benoit, Eddie, Malenko, Saturn) on WM2000's create a character.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

So are you guys going to play third strike dudley-only?

Depths
Apr 15, 2009

SENPAI
Yooooooo aboot that boxing week Eh

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I did a bad thing and looked at the comments on the ready 2 rumble video

jesus christ

Do not even ask
Apr 8, 2008

Let me guess it's about g- yup, it is. Augh.

Gestalt Illusion
May 28, 2013

Not even surprised that there is nothing in the video itself that could have sparked that conversation. It's been four months of white noise can people stop already?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.

Gestalt Illusion posted:

Not even surprised that there is nothing in the video itself that could have sparked that conversation. It's been four months of white noise can people stop already?

Ten years from now there's going to be a tiny pocket on the internet still flagellating and group wanking over what some woman said about video games.