Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

TenaciousJ posted:

My brother wanted to play DKC Tropical Freeze in multiplayer and that game seems a bit rough to get used to controlling, especially if you were expecting it to play like the SNES DKC games. I told him if the SNES games taught me anything, it was pick Dixie, so of course he went with Diddy. After the 2nd boss fight, we were both ready to put it down out of frustration. I think I'll come back to this one when I'm more used to using the gamepad and when I can play solo. I still have Super Mario 3D World and Bayonetta 1 and 2.

Diddy works just like Dixie did in the old games (except he has a gun now) so he made the right choice there. Don't play the game like you would the old Country games though cause they don't play all that similar.

I would never suggest Tropical Freeze co-op though. That game is too hard for co-op to work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Spectacle Rock posted:

It really looks like they are all made out of clay. I like the look

Yeah, it's great. Time for the return of Clay Figher (clay clay fighter)

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Some more Kirby footage - you get a look at the bonus stages, the clay figurine gallery, some sort of storybook thing? a comparison of the different Amiibo buffs, etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kswooIBx6aE

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I've never seen that shortening so hey news to me v:v:v

Neither am I, that was just a guess.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

my only problem with kirby is it's going to require looking at the gamepad fulltime so it feels kind of like a 3ds game. It's almost like they should have swapped this and triple deluxe

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Its Christmas, I'm five beers in, I found an ex-girlfriend is engaged -

I should totally buy Mario 3d World online, right? My only disappointment with 3d land was how short it was...

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

Yes, Super Mario 3D World is a great game and you'll enjoy it immensely.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Narcissus1916 posted:

Its Christmas, I'm five beers in, I found an ex-girlfriend is engaged -

I should totally buy Mario 3d World online, right? My only disappointment with 3d land was how short it was...

You did get to the 2nd half of the game..right?

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
3D Land still felt pretty short to me, back half included. I blame the small levels and the lack of a set theme from world to world.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Some more Kirby footage - you get a look at the bonus stages, the clay figurine gallery, some sort of storybook thing? a comparison of the different Amiibo buffs, etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kswooIBx6aE

Neither am I, that was just a guess.

Oh my goodness I wish I could get that kirby drawing as a .gif avatar. (Around 3:35)

It's way to cute.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Oh my goodness I wish I could get that kirby drawing as a .gif avatar. (Around 3:35)

It's way to cute.

I wish I was good at this :(

It's not good at all but it's still cute at least :colbert:

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Skeezy posted:

I wish I was good at this :(

It's not good at all but it's still cute at least :colbert:

It's great though! And agreed, I let out a pretty large laugh when that first popped up, the waddle dee is also great.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

an attempt

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
I was trying to wait on Captain Toad but I was one Captain Toad short of a free Duck Hunt thanks to Digital Deluxe so my life is a lot cuter right now. Spending $40 to get $5 makes sense in this situation.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
If Kirby is going to be mostly on the gamepad what's going on the tv screen?

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

bowmore posted:

Its likely the same display but the game is exclusively controlled with the touch screen

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

It's way to cute.

fake edit: my brother got hyrule warriors for christmas and oh my god I did not think I would like it.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
So its not aged well, it has no depth...but goddamn Duck Hunt is still really fun.

EDIT: Only complaint, I wish it would recognize a nunchuck and let me use Z on there as a trigger. I broke out the Wii Zapper shell to use and would like the other trigger option.

jivjov fucked around with this message at 09:33 on Dec 26, 2014

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

bowmore posted:

Co-op stuff, though in main singleplayer id guess just showing the same image asthe gamepad.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
The TV will show what you are doing so all your friends can watch the cuteness unfold.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

jivjov posted:

So its not aged well, it has no depth...but goddamn Duck Hunt is still really fun.

EDIT: Only complaint, I wish it would recognize a nunchuck and let me use Z on there as a trigger. I broke out the Wii Zapper shell to use and would like the other trigger option.

Drunk Hunt - drink every time the dog laughs at you :twisted:

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER
My awesome wife got me a Wii U for christmas with Smash and Mario Kart! Are the games in the OP still the ones to get, mostly? And what are the ones to look out for in 2015?

I got to play a Splatoon Demo a month ago and it felt pretty awesome, so I'll definetly get that when it's out. I think I'll stalk the resell bins this week for some cheap games, hoping I can get ZombiU which I've heard is pretty great.

Last question though, is it possible to get another tablet controller? Should I just buy the pro controller and treat my Gamepad like a small, irreplacable baby? My wife got the Console insurance thing (she doesn't know better) but it's only 40€ for 3 years of store warranty, so I'm thinking it actually might be worth it. Either that or ask for the warranty back so I can buy Super Mario 3d World.

Edit: oh, one more question, I have 700 "stars" on club-nintendo (EU) that run out this month! What can I buy with that? Doesn't seem to be anything interesting besides some stickers...

Hugoon Chavez fucked around with this message at 10:45 on Dec 26, 2014

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I'm really glad I got Captain Toad. I don't really care for the touch stuff but the game is so pretty and charming. I wonder if this is just a one off or something that might lead to a series. It doesn't seem like it would be that big of a commitment considering the small level size.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
I doubt we ever get more Captain Toad, but I enjoy it for what it is.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Hugoon Chavez posted:

My awesome wife got me a Wii U for christmas with Smash and Mario Kart! Are the games in the OP still the ones to get, mostly? And what are the ones to look out for in 2015?

I got to play a Splatoon Demo a month ago and it felt pretty awesome, so I'll definetly get that when it's out. I think I'll stalk the resell bins this week for some cheap games, hoping I can get ZombiU which I've heard is pretty great.

Pretty much all the upcoming games to look out for are Nintendo games, so you probably won't miss them when they drop. They include:

Kirby and the Rainbow Curse
Mario Party 10
Yoshi's Wooly World
Splatoon
Devil's Third
Xenoblade Chronicles X
Shin Megami Tensei x Fire Emblem
new Star Fox
new Zelda

ZombiU is for sale on the eShop right now, it's like 10EUR or something.

quote:

Last question though, is it possible to get another tablet controller? Should I just buy the pro controller and treat my Gamepad like a small, irreplacable baby? My wife got the Console insurance thing (she doesn't know better) but it's only 40€ for 3 years of store warranty, so I'm thinking it actually might be worth it. Either that or ask for the warranty back so I can buy Super Mario 3d World.

You can't buy replacement gamepads off the shelf, no. You won't be able to 100% replace it with a pro controller, either, there are games and system menu functions that require the gamepad, so you can't just stash it in a drawer and forget about it.

quote:

Edit: oh, one more question, I have 700 "stars" on club-nintendo (EU) that run out this month! What can I buy with that? Doesn't seem to be anything interesting besides some stickers...

It's mostly just trinkets, yeah. Don't sweat it too much.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

So I was playing around and heard that Crunchyroll was now available for the Wii U -- FINALLY. I guess when compared to my PS3 app it is about the same, but my major problem with the Wii U version is that Crunchyroll doesn't utilize the touch screen that much. I can't take my stylus and scroll through my shows or even enter my email and password; you gotta use the buttons and directional pad. Clearly there is some room for improvement and here is to hoping these modifications happen in the near future. I would like to use my Crunchyroll account for use of my Wii U system exclusively, but there still needs some work to be done. The app was just released so I am sure there is some room for improvement. Again, full TouchPad capabilities would be very nice and that is just the start. Also a custom startup SFX when starting the app would be good too.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
All the VOD apps for Wii U are terrible half-arsed crap and it seems like they rarely get fixed.

Anyway, Nintendo UK is doing a sweepstakes for a bunch of games, Amiibos and other swag: https://store.nintendo.co.uk/ninint/competition.account?comp=win2014

The complete contents of the prize pack is as follows:

Trans-blue 2DS/Pokemon AS steelbook & figurine
Trans-red 2DS/Pokemon OR steelbook & figurine
Smash LE 3DS XL (game pre-installed) & adapter
Hyrule Warriors LE (game & scarf)
Bayonetta 1 & 2 First-Print Edition (both games, Art of Bayonetta 2 book, leather-embossed box)
Mario Kart 8 Online Store bundle (game/keychain/bullet bill shirt)
Tomodachi Life & The Vamps shirt
Smash U/Mario Amiibo
Gamecube Controller & GC Adapter
Ultimate NES Remix & NES Remix cap
Mario Golf & Mario hat
Persona Q Wild Cards LE (game/XL case/mini-OST/art booklet/tarot cards)
Wave 1 Amiibo set (Mario/Link/DK/Samus/Peach/Yoshi/Kirby/Pikachu/Fox/Marth/Wii Fit Trainer/Villager)
Luigi hat

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Netflix and Youtube work goddamn great on the Wii U, not sure why they get a bad rap.

My only real problem with the WiiU infrastructure is how the settings menu forces me to pull out my gamepad, which almost always equates to me rummaging around my room and having to unplug something to charge up the pad. Its just ridiculous that I can do literally everything I want within the confines of the WiiU without a gamepad - but the settings menu arbitrarily requires it.

And on the downside, I forgot in my drinking haze that I don't actually have access to my american credit card, so I can't purchase digitally unless I hop on over to the store tomorrow. I might still do that, since I need some points through the DDP deal going down.

on the plus side, I started replaying mario galaxy 2 since it first came out.

I get why Mario Galaxy was such a thunderbolt of awesomeness to the gaming press, but Galaxy 2 is so much more than "just" more of the first.

WadeBartender
Aug 18, 2013

Pretty much all the upcoming games to look out for are Nintendo games, so you probably won't miss them when they drop. They include:

Shin Megami Tensei x Fire Emblem

you have way more hope than I do at this point :(

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

Captain Toad did not make it here in time for christmas. I am sad.

Unless a postal service guy is playing it right now. If you are then I'm happy for you just don't forget to throw it back in the mail.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Shantae owns buy Shantae.

Seriously if you like Metroid, Mega Man, platformers in general, basically any kind of solid retrogame style gameplay, fuckin buy Shantae.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

All the VOD apps for Wii U are terrible half-arsed crap and it seems like they rarely get fixed.

Anyway, Nintendo UK is doing a sweepstakes for a bunch of games, Amiibos and other swag: https://store.nintendo.co.uk/ninint/competition.account?comp=win2014

The complete contents of the prize pack is as follows:

Trans-blue 2DS/Pokemon AS steelbook & figurine
Trans-red 2DS/Pokemon OR steelbook & figurine
Smash LE 3DS XL (game pre-installed) & adapter
Hyrule Warriors LE (game & scarf)
Bayonetta 1 & 2 First-Print Edition (both games, Art of Bayonetta 2 book, leather-embossed box)
Mario Kart 8 Online Store bundle (game/keychain/bullet bill shirt)
Tomodachi Life & The Vamps shirt
Smash U/Mario Amiibo
Gamecube Controller & GC Adapter
Ultimate NES Remix & NES Remix cap
Mario Golf & Mario hat
Persona Q Wild Cards LE (game/XL case/mini-OST/art booklet/tarot cards)
Wave 1 Amiibo set (Mario/Link/DK/Samus/Peach/Yoshi/Kirby/Pikachu/Fox/Marth/Wii Fit Trainer/Villager)
Luigi hat

Holy poo poo, there's one winner, and they win ALL OF THAT? What the gently caress do you need 2 2DSes and a 3DS for? They're gonna create the next YouTube shiny Pokemon kid with this giveaway.

Kauka
Jan 23, 2005

ja...JA!!!!jaaa

Light Gun Man posted:

Seriously if you like Metroid, Mega Man, platformers in general, basically any kind of solid retrogame style gameplay, fuckin buy Shantae.

Is it out on Wii U already? Can't find any reviews or info.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Kauka posted:

Is it out on Wii U already? Can't find any reviews or info.

Yeah they just suck at promoting the best drat game on the service I guess.

I downloaded it yesterday and beat it this morning at it owns and I started up a pirate mode game immediately.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Shantae came out on Wii U on xmas day in NA, yeah. It's still not out in PAL-land for Wii U or 3DS, they're expecting it to show up in late January.

Sdoots
Nov 3, 2013

I did this and could have stopped it, but nothing in nature ever follows a gaussian curve. Sure, they'll tell you that it does. They say that every five minutes someone dies in a car accident, but how often are there seven hundred and sixty one armless and legless corpses in one hangar?
What the gently caress am I supposed to do with this red baby Yoshi in New Super Mario Bros U? It says I look like I know where to find food and then follows me into a level. I can carry it around, and if I fail the level, it dissappears.

Sdoots fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Dec 26, 2014

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

Narcissus1916 posted:

Netflix and Youtube work goddamn great on the Wii U, not sure why they get a bad rap.

Netflix is ok but Youtube is waaay better through the WiiU Internet Browser because it's just regular youtube then and it's the best loving internet browser for a device that's not a computer. Especially good for watching twitch streams or like Salty Bet where you can have the fight up on the tv and the betting poo poo down on the pad.

Basically WiiU Internet Browser is the hero we all deserve. Not sure how cute it is though.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Sdoots posted:

What the gently caress am I supposed to do with this red baby Yoshi in New Super Mario Bros U? It says I look like I know where to find food and then follows me into a level. I can carry it around, and if I fail the level, it dissappears.

It's not like a secret or anything, they're just powerups. If you lose them it's the same as if you lose any other powerup.

The red ones turn into a balloon if you're holding them and do the little midair twist.

Sdoots
Nov 3, 2013

I did this and could have stopped it, but nothing in nature ever follows a gaussian curve. Sure, they'll tell you that it does. They say that every five minutes someone dies in a car accident, but how often are there seven hundred and sixty one armless and legless corpses in one hangar?

Phantasium posted:

It's not like a secret or anything, they're just powerups. If you lose them it's the same as if you lose any other powerup.

The red ones turn into a balloon if you're holding them and do the little midair twist.

Oh, okay. I thought I had to actually find food for it somehow. Thanks.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

It can also eat enemies when not in balloon form

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Light Gun Man posted:

Shantae is definitely good, but it seems a little over priced for me. It's kinda like babby's first metroidvania. It's very fun, not very difficult and I do enjoy the tongue in cheek, self aware humor. Definitely has great aesthetics, but the combat is pretty simplistic.

Edit: it would make sense to have been priced at 15. It's pretty comparable to Shovel Knight in terms of size and replayability.

• Locked thread