Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
To continue the bathroom analogies, I'd say that an RNP approach is like walking into a pitch-black house, then following a little glowing strip around various bits of furniture into the bathroom without bumping into anything, and a hand flown CAT III done with a HUD is like being able to pee off the roof of your house into a soda can without missing at all.

On the topic of approaches, does anyone know if Allegiant has the ability to do GPS approaches with their MD80 fleet? On my last leg today, the airport was using a basic RNAV approach, and an Allegiant MD-80 ahead of us had to do a VOR approach instead, but I wasn't sure if that was because they had inop equipment or if it was a case of Allegiant being too cheap to fit that equipment to begin with.

azflyboy fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Dec 25, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Googling for allegiant's md-80s leads to articles about their terrible, incorrect procedures so I guess it could go either way?

They're getting rid of them. I like to imagine they are just abandoning them at ATL in the middle of the night.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
Peeing in the dark and flying IMC are way too comparable I've found out today

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

hobbesmaster posted:

Googling for allegiant's md-80s leads to articles about their terrible, incorrect procedures so I guess it could go either way?

They're getting rid of them. I like to imagine they are just abandoning them at ATL in the middle of the night.

And by morning they are sporting a fresh set of Delta colors.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

hobbesmaster posted:

From the horror stories I've heard about Allegiant, I wouldn't be surprised if their management isn't planning on hiring someone to set the airplanes on fire as part of a scam to collect insurance payouts.

I end up walking past Allegiant gates pretty often, and I've noticed that there's a distinct (and pretty hilarious) "people of Walmart" vibe to a lot of their clientele (especially to/from Vegas) that seems to be unique to that airline.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

MrYenko posted:

Ya, its the best photo I could find, and matches the images in the radiological safety pdf I was able to find on the system. It might be more prevalent than just the -53 and -3, but I've never personally encountered the things, anyway.

Chatting with my dad about this, he worked on the -3's and -53's as a crew chief, and more or less says the same thing:

quote:

It is called the IBIS system. On the doghouse cowling at 12 o'clock in the center was the indicator. The blades had an indicator at the root of the blade which was white as long as the blades were pressurized. When the pressure drops the white starts to disappear. One of the first things we did prior to climbing up was make sure that white was fully visible on the blades. We had covers we put on the IBIS when it landed. Yes, it was radioactive.

Regarding this

Ambihelical Hexnut posted:

I wonder what advantage that design offers over a simple switch; I'm guessing "wireless"? Those look like the ones on 60s, which I think are visual only but I'm not a 60 guy so who knows.

Best answer I got from my dad was that the blades on Hueys and Pavehawks are solid. I don't know if that's true for Blackhawks or Seahawks, my dad obviously didn't work on those birds.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

Just a reminder that this goon is a racecar driver sponsored by Allegient.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

YF19pilot posted:

Chatting with my dad about this, he worked on the -3's and -53's as a crew chief, and more or less says the same thing:

Regarding this

Best answer I got from my dad was that the blades on Hueys and Pavehawks are solid. I don't know if that's true for Blackhawks or Seahawks, my dad obviously didn't work on those birds.

I worked on Navy -53s and -60s. Both have pressurized blades. -53s use IBIS (inflight blade inspection system) with the canister of radioactive stuff. I never had to put covers on.

-60s have BIMS (blade inspection and monitoring system) that's the same thing, but no radioactive canister. We just checked on turnaround (or maybe daily, I don't have my deck).

That picture of the H-53 head brings back memories. Blade fold is a JOY on those. Semi-automatic relay-logic electro-hydraulic fold system on six of seven blades. The lockpin cylinders are copper-beryllium, too, so no sanding!

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

MrYenko posted:

Additional content: Sikorsky rolled this dorfy looking thing out:

That's actually significantly less dorfy-looking than the original concept art. It used to be a hell of a lot boxier in the front and very clearly looked 'bus-ish.' I'm sure some retired Marine General said "ROUND THAT NOSE OUT, IT LOOKS lovely SQUARE."

For some reason this won't upload to imgur, so here, have an image link: EDIT: See below:

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Dec 25, 2014

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
It won't load because it won't let us dirty outsiders view it. Save as and upload it.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
Random question - does anyone know what refrigerant is used on Airbus A340-300s? Specifically Lufthansa D-AIGI if that matters. Reading a really crotchety old man posting comments on avherald and I want to sniff-test his post, pun probably intended.

Godholio posted:

It won't load because it won't let us dirty outsiders view it. Save as and upload it.

it's just a referral block, if you copy/paste it into a new tab it works fine. But to save you the trouble:

Psion fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Dec 25, 2014

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
What's the ugly thing even for? Next gen troop carrier or something?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Kitfox88 posted:

What's the ugly thing even for? Next gen troop carrier or something?

It's been widened enough to fit a Humvee (which the military is starting to phase out, oldest first) or a standard-sized cargo pallet. Before, the cargo had to be packed to fit the -53E, then repacked onto a cargo pallet. Now it can be packed, rolled off, and immediately rolled onto a long-range cargo plane.

The engines, all three of them, also share a lot of parts commonality with the Osprey's engine. I think the original plan was for the engines to be different only in how they turned the rotor, but I think someone had a brainstorm and decided to develop something newer and slightly more proprietary. If you look at the Wiki page for the engine, you'll see it was planned for the P-7 prop-driven ASW replacement to the P-3.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Dec 25, 2014

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Yet we still don't have our loving Cyclone!

:canada:

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Dear US Navy,

This is what I'd have in mind if someone asked me to design a jet-powered ASW aircraft: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kawasaki_P-1

Not the twin-engined P-8.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 09:37 on Dec 25, 2014

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Psion posted:

Random question - does anyone know what refrigerant is used on Airbus A340-300s?

Air.

I don't care what the old guy thinks he smelled. Other than the galley refrigerators, there is no freon refrigerant on the aircraft, unless it's being carried as cargo.

ApathyGifted
Aug 30, 2004
Tomorrow?

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Dear US Navy,

This is what I'd have in mind if someone asked me to design a jet-powered ASW aircraft: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kawasaki_P-1

Are the Japanese bad at a jet engine design? The 4 engines together on the P-1 create less thrust than the 2 engines on the P-8, despite being about the same size (or larger, hard to tell by pictures.). Or is it just a matter of wanting more redundancy and less asymmetric thrust in case of failure during long over-water patrols?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

ApathyGifted posted:

Are the Japanese bad at a jet engine design? The 4 engines together on the P-1 create less thrust than the 2 engines on the P-8, despite being about the same size (or larger, hard to tell by pictures.). Or is it just a matter of wanting more redundancy and less asymmetric thrust in case of failure during long over-water patrols?

The engines on the P-1 each weigh just a little less than half what a CFM56 weighs, but put out more than half as much power.

Tsuru
May 12, 2008
I find that extremely hard to believe. Not to detract from Japanese engineering, but a new engine from a new manufacturer is not going to be better than one with 40 years worth of improvements by a company with over half a century of experience.

Some quick googling around yielded 27klbf at 2385kg for the CFM56-7B27, and 13klbf at 1240kg for the F7-10. So very close, but not better.

And this doesn't include the cowlings, the mounts, and all the extra wiring, plumbing and ducting to make them work, not to mention the extra drag from two additional pods. It might be a better idea for an MPA to have four engines, but it's not going to be more efficient. The only area where I can imagine they might have saved something is in the wing structure.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Tsuru posted:

I find that extremely hard to believe. Not to detract from Japanese engineering, but a new engine from a new manufacturer is not going to be better than one with 40 years worth of improvements by a company with over half a century of experience.

Quoting for posterity.

Look, a 40 year old engine design is just that - a 40 year old engine. There are all sorts of design philosophies that go into play when designing an aircraft. Perhaps the Japanese SDF wanted a four engined bird, but didn't need 54,000 lbs of thrust. Also, the engine in the P-1 was specially built for it, using materials that have a higher resistance to corrosion because of it's maritime mission. Not sure if the same was done with the Boeing.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Dear US Navy,

Why? Serious question - as someone who doesn't know much about what makes these two planes better/worse at the mission, why is the P-1 with it's 4 engines better than the P-8 with it's two engines at ASW work? I'm assuming that the P-8, like all modern twins, can fly just fine on a single engine.

E: typo.

The Locator fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Dec 25, 2014

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

A twin doesn't fly as well with two engines inoperative, though.

(I don't think it's a big deal, but then, my rear end isn't in the thing for long patrols at low altitudes, over water, in bad weather.)

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Psion posted:

Random question - does anyone know what refrigerant is used on Airbus A340-300s? Specifically Lufthansa D-AIGI if that matters. Reading a really crotchety old man posting comments on avherald and I want to sniff-test his post, pun probably intended.

MrYenko posted:

Air.

I don't care what the old guy thinks he smelled. Other than the galley refrigerators, there is no freon refrigerant on the aircraft, unless it's being carried as cargo.

The galley chillers on some wide body airbusses use a liquid refrigerant and pump based heat exchanger system. I can't remember what the exact refrigerant medium is, but it isn't freon. It isn't a very reliable system, but I've never heard of it stinking up the galley. Probably more likely someone left the buns in the plastic bag when they put it in the bun warmer and it melted. Plastic in ovens is usually the most common source of smoke etc in the galleys. That and food splatter on the elements.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Tsuru posted:

Some quick googling around yielded 27klbf at 2385kg for the CFM56-7B27, and 13klbf at 1240kg for the F7-10. So very close, but not better.

And this doesn't include the cowlings, the mounts, and all the extra wiring, plumbing and ducting to make them work, not to mention the extra drag from two additional pods. It might be a better idea for an MPA to have four engines, but it's not going to be more efficient. The only area where I can imagine they might have saved something is in the wing structure.

Fuel efficiency factors in greatly. A four-engined a340 with cfm56's is slow as balls but has notably more range than a 330 with 2 Trent 700s because it actually has less drag.
And a new engine design is going to be more efficient than a refined old design. It's just very expensive to develop, so ultimately it's just cheaper to keep iterating the old one until you've reached a point of diminishing returns.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

The Locator posted:

Why? Serious question - as someone who doesn't know much about what makes these two planes better/worse at the mission, why is the P-1 with it's 4 engines better than the P-8 with it's two engines at ASW work? I'm assuming that the P-8, like all modern twins, can fly just fine on a single engine.

E: typo.

The P8 is apparently some flavor of B737-800, so yes, it can do "okay" on one engine. However, when you're over the ponds, it's better to be at 75% power when you lose an engine than 50% power. 75% is "let's get her home" and 50% is "any pavement long enough for us to stop." The latter isn't so good if you're flying in international waters where the nearest airstrip might not be a friendly one.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
DOD already has infrastructure to support the CFM-56 without relying on a foreign government/industry for parts and support.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Godholio posted:

DOD already has infrastructure to support the CFM-56 without relying on a foreign government/industry for parts and support.

Umm...the CFM56 is half-made in France. Not that they would ever cut off support for anyone ever.

Also comparing an early CFM56 to a modern CFM56-7 is like comparing a Porsche 911 from the 1970s to a brand new one. Sure it has the same name but they are completely different mechanically.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

This pretty much sums up what I'm thinking coming back to this thread after making a post in which, based on mostly aesthetic reasons, I said I preferred the look and functionality of the Japanese plane to the P-8.

Well, "umm" and probably a bit of :stare:.

The P-8 was obviously designed to be pretty much whatever the Navy wants it to be on any given day, while the P-1 seems to be just a decent maritime patrol aircraft designed from the ground up with some pretty interesting features.

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012
On the topic of Japanese ASW/maritime patrol aircraft, I'd just like to take a moment to mention how fantastically awesome the Shin Meiwa PS-1 and US-2 look on paper low altitude ASW patrol work (provided you're patrolling close to home or you can hit a tanker).

But then, I'm prejudiced in favour of squat, ugly turboprops.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

MrChips posted:

Umm...the CFM56 is half-made in France. Not that they would ever cut off support for anyone ever.

Half made in France but as far as post-manufacture depot support, DoD is pretty much completely self sufficient, which is what Godholio was referring to.

AzureSkys
Apr 27, 2003

Fun P-8 fact: It uses a 777 IDG (Integrated Drive Generator) to power all whatsits and doodads inside. You can see the bulge on the left side of the engines where the cowling was modified to fit it.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Jonny Nox posted:

Yet we still don't have our loving Cyclone!

:canada:

Dear god don't let that be a hunk of crap when it finally gets delivered. Ugh ugh ugh.

Already seems questionable as hell with the DND fudging requirements to allow it (30 minute run dry main gearbox requirement nixed, etc)

I went to high school with a girl whose father was on one of the Sea Kings that crashed in the early 90s (he survived), they were considered ancient at that time. What a hosed up mess of a procurement. Christ.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

priznat posted:

Dear god don't let that be a hunk of crap when it finally gets delivered. Ugh ugh ugh.

The F-35B is going to be in the process of being phased out of service by the time that stupid thing is delivered.

It's the Duke Nukem Forever of aircraft.

(The F-35 is Daikatana)

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Jonny Nox posted:

The F-35B is going to be in the process of being phased out of service by the time that stupid thing is delivered.

It's the Duke Nukem Forever of aircraft.

(The F-35 is Daikatana)

Tsuru
May 12, 2008

YF19pilot posted:

Quoting for posterity.

Look, a 40 year old engine design is just that - a 40 year old engine. There are all sorts of design philosophies that go into play when designing an aircraft. Perhaps the Japanese SDF wanted a four engined bird, but didn't need 54,000 lbs of thrust. Also, the engine in the P-1 was specially built for it, using materials that have a higher resistance to corrosion because of it's maritime mission. Not sure if the same was done with the Boeing.
Of course, which is why the big three are making GBS threads themselves because of the following up and coming new engine manufacturers with their revolutionary new design philosophies that nobody in the west has ever thought of:

*crickets*

Linedance posted:

Fuel efficiency factors in greatly. A four-engined a340 with cfm56's is slow as balls but has notably more range than a 330 with 2 Trent 700s because it actually has less drag.
And a new engine design is going to be more efficient than a refined old design. It's just very expensive to develop, so ultimately it's just cheaper to keep iterating the old one until you've reached a point of diminishing returns.
I think that might actually have something to do with your A340's having a center fuel tank, which your A330-300's don't have. In terms of new deliveries, the A340 has been dead for years, while the A330 has been steadily taking over the market once held by the older 777-200ER. This is not because the A340 is somehow magically more efficient.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Four engined aircraft just plain look better.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

Four engined aircraft just plain look better.

Four engine twin fuselage pusher/puller prop configuration someone make my nightmare dream happen. :unsmigghh:

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Kitfox88 posted:

Four engine twin fuselage pusher/puller prop configuration someone make my nightmare dream happen. :unsmigghh:

Paging Burt Rutan to this thread....

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

Kitfox88 posted:

Colonial Air Force posted:

Paging Burt Rutan to this thread....

http://www.scaled.com/projects/bipod

So close to all your requirements...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Tsuru posted:

Of course, which is why the big three are making GBS threads themselves because of the following up and coming new engine manufacturers with their revolutionary new design philosophies that nobody in the west has ever thought of:

*crickets*
I think that might actually have something to do with your A340's having a center fuel tank, which your A330-300's don't have. In terms of new deliveries, the A340 has been dead for years, while the A330 has been steadily taking over the market once held by the older 777-200ER. This is not because the A340 is somehow magically more efficient.

drat I think you got me there. I think I was thinking of the stats for the -200, which does have pretty considerable range, but there just wasn't a market for it I guess. Anyway, for airlines, all quad jets have been dead for years, barring the odd a380 which nobody is buying anymore and the occasional 747-8 that nobody was buying in the first place. The point is, why Japan went for a quad Kawasaki powered maritime patrol jet over a twin cfm powered one probably has almost nothing to do with the relative output of the engines (which can be boosted or derated depending on application anyway).