Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

willie_dee posted:

2. Both play bass and quality equal to CV'S via headphones and my home stereo

The FM and cd player mode both output fine.

No bass points to the left and right signals being 180* out of phase with each other - either the left signal pair or the right is wired backwards and the phase difference is canceling out frequencies that match up close enough between the two channels - it's a common symptom of phase cancellation to lose the bass or otherwise sound tinny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

POKEMAN SAM
Jul 8, 2004
I've joined the BMW bandwagon, who can teach me how to be a porcupine or however that joke goes?

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
Unf. Thats hot poo poo.

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx

POKEMAN SAM posted:

I've joined the BMW bandwagon, who can teach me how to be a porcupine or however that joke goes?

The family resemblance is uncanny. Merry Christmas, BMW thread!

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
SC - Where there are more rednecks than people
I finally rendered the time lapse videos from fixing my M3. If you dont like the music tough tits, there is a mute button. The only recorded audio is at then end when I was making sure the fuel lines were good and the drive shaft was balanced.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_BWlLOsO54

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

POKEMAN SAM posted:

That is Absolutely gorgeous.

Has the cooling system been refreshed yet? It could have been a long boat ride from Germany.

POKEMAN SAM
Jul 8, 2004

Powershift posted:

That is Absolutely gorgeous.

Has the cooling system been refreshed yet? It could have been a long boat ride from Germany.

I'm in the wonderful "break-in period" for another 900 miles, then I take it in and they turn on launch control and let me push the pedal almost as hard as I want (except for the following 2000 miles are part of some sort of second-level break-in period, too).

EvilBlackRailgun
Jan 28, 2007

Very nice. Would probably get that same color if I was going to order an M4 over an M3. What options did end up getting?

POKEMAN SAM
Jul 8, 2004

EvilBlackRailgun posted:

Very nice. Would probably get that same color if I was going to order an M4 over an M3. What options did end up getting?

Sakhir Orange (obviously), Black Full Merino Leather, Carbon Fiber interior trim, Driver Assistance Plus, Lighting Package, Executive Package, DCT, 19" Wheels (gloss black), Active Suspension, Moonroof, Harman Kardon sound system, Side/Top cameras, Power Rear Sunshade (the one that I wouldn't have selected, but wasn't worth passing on the car over). I think I got everything except the Ceramic Brakes and the Parking Assistant but I'd have to check the sticker for the latter.
At the dealer they had also installed the black grille and carbon fiber side mirror caps, too, which make a way bigger difference than I would've imagined.
I'll be looking at black exhaust tips, possibly the M carbon fiber spoiler, and might vinyl wrap the roof gloss black (I like the way the carbon fiber roof looks, but I wanted the moonroof instead so the roof is body colored).

Edit: I've also had the clear protective film installed on the front and hood for peace of mind.

POKEMAN SAM fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Dec 25, 2014

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

I don't understand why black grilles aren't standard. It looks so good on that car.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

POKEMAN SAM posted:

Wow :stwoon: that is stunning! Excellent photo composition too. Das Volk you should seriously reconsider the whole lemon flavored viper you got in favor of one of these.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

POKEMAN SAM posted:

Merry Christmas. That is gorgeous.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
Anyone near Detroit looking for a project?

http://detroit.craigslist.org/wyn/cto/4818478268.html

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

loving russians :argh:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxg7YgAvO8E

It's an E39

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

POKEMAN SAM posted:

I'm going to assume that you bought that with the sole intent of making Das Volk feel bad.

Powershift posted:

loving russians :argh:

It's an E39

Not "is," "was." It's something else now.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

I've popped a kw. Merry Christmas!!!

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

wolrah posted:

Anyone near Detroit looking for a project?

http://detroit.craigslist.org/wyn/cto/4818478268.html

a friend of mine posted this on my facebook, too much with a blown tranny and it would be slow as hell unless you stuck a turbo on it like mafoose's e24

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

SKINNY JEANS CANT HOLD BACK THIS ARC

Note: I did buy this car.

Aflicted
Jun 9, 2007
My dad wants to get a newish 5 series and turned me loose to find him a car. He rented a 528i while traveling recently and liked it a lot. It will see a fair amount of highway traveling, and he doesn't really care about it being a fast car. To put it in perspective he found the 528i to have more than enough go for his tastes.

I found a few good 528i options, one or two 535i options but they are stretching the budget he wants to pay. I also found a 2013 ActiveHybrid 5 with nearly no miles on it as a CPO for $35k at a reputable BMW dealer. I realize that the hybrid is going to do nothing for his fuel economy on the highway, and in general it wasn't much better than the gas only options. When you look at the price for what you get though it makes a pretty compelling argument. The feature set on it is about what you would get for a 528i in the same price point of the same vintage, but with a good bit more power. Does anyone have any experience or know about the reliability and maintenance on an ActiveHybrid 5? I guess I'm curious why a $60-70k car is selling used for the price of its $50k less equipped brother. The too good to be true bell and all. In general is there anything to look out for on the 2012 and up 5 series cars when shopping used?

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries

Viggen posted:

Then I'd check to see if your input for-some-reason completely bypasses the decoder and/or amp with that setup for an input. If that has already been checked, I'm fresh out of ideas.

The other way around brings no Aux mode up.

http://i.imgur.com/6zknidb.jpg

This is the CD player

http://i.imgur.com/eoAw0eL.jpg

The bottom left is where I installed it. Weirdly taking out both bottom left and top left modules results in no noticeable lack of anything...

http://i.imgur.com/hAGWaZC.jpg

So taking this and the white one put does nothing it seems, but the aux in only works on the one, and that's without bass.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries

HotCanadianChick posted:

No bass points to the left and right signals being 180* out of phase with each other - either the left signal pair or the right is wired backwards and the phase difference is canceling out frequencies that match up close enough between the two channels - it's a common symptom of phase cancellation to lose the bass or otherwise sound tinny.

I don't know how a wire can be backwards, I've attached cables im using in the post above

Brock Landers
Jul 28, 2004

You're a donkey. I like that.

Aflicted posted:

In general is there anything to look out for on the 2012 and up 5 series cars when shopping used?

A BMW CPO warranty.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Brock Landers posted:

A BMW CPO warranty.

This right here is it. A 2012 has about a year left on the warranty and CPO adds two more years. Costs more but if something shits the bed, it costs 50 dollars instead of 2000.

Aflicted
Jun 9, 2007
A CPO is a must on this for sure. If he wants the car to last 5 to 7 years I don't want to buy something that will be a nightmare above and beyond the GDCS and customary BMW maintenance. The ActiveHybrid is a good deal it seems for the options it has, but not worth it if the thing is a basketcase on wheels.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
I'd suggest a 2013+ 535 CPO that has the 704 sports suspension, M-sport bits, multi-contour seats, etc on the build sheet and would avoid the activehybrid 5 mostly because you lose a large amount of valuable trunk space as well as the fold down seats.

I've had a 2013 for over 2 years with no issues at all and only been to the dealer once per year for free oil changes. Coding also gets rid of a lot of annoying beeps, buzzes, warnings, and disables mandatory auto-stop start on pre-2014's.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

willie_dee posted:

I don't know how a wire can be backwards, I've attached cables im using in the post above

Manufacturing error possibly?

Try playing with the balance on either your source (preferably) or the car stereo (potentially not useful if you have a sub which receives a mono feed mixed before the balancer). If you can send it all to one side and the bass shows up, there you go. Look up the pinout on the connector and flip the appropriate wires, then you're good to go.

It is amazing how much out of phase can kill bass, a friend of mine miswired a dual sub box once and we had the thing cranked to the point of overheating the amp with basically nothing happening. Found and fixed the reversed wire, then we almost blew his sunroof out since we forgot to turn it back down.

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs

rscott posted:

a friend of mine posted this on my facebook, too much with a blown tranny and it would be slow as hell unless you stuck a turbo on it like mafoose's e24

It's already gone and was on the other side of the US but goddamn did I want it!

Speaking of... If any of you guys find an inexpensive 735i manual e23, I'm looking for one. Extra points if it's black.

I think I might sell my 540i and buy an e23 or e28. Or an e34 535i (if it's white, manual, and dark interior).

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
E34 535i manuals are pretty rare. I'd love to get any 535i myself. Though I really want a 540i again. Either E34 or E39 flavor, they make all the right noises.

Aflicted
Jun 9, 2007

Keyser S0ze posted:

I'd suggest a 2013+ 535 CPO that has the 704 sports suspension, M-sport bits, multi-contour seats, etc on the build sheet and would avoid the activehybrid 5 mostly because you lose a large amount of valuable trunk space as well as the fold down seats.

I've had a 2013 for over 2 years with no issues at all and only been to the dealer once per year for free oil changes. Coding also gets rid of a lot of annoying beeps, buzzes, warnings, and disables mandatory auto-stop start on pre-2014's.

Did not know that about the trunk space on the ActiveHybrid. That will be a deal breaker for him for sure. Also good to know about the auto stop start being mandatory. His rental was a 2014 and it was off when he got it and when he turned it on to see what it was all about, it annoyed him.

I am trying to nudge him in the direction of the 535 with the sport package, but he is coming from an old E320 and doesn't seem too concerned about it. I think it is something he would enjoy, but its low on the list of nice to haves. He drove my 135i M sport though and enjoyed it so I'm thinking his tune will change after he takes out a comparably equipped 5 series. It is after all part of the charm with a BMW in my opinion.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

I think the auto stop start remembers your settings on the 2014. My 2014 335i defaults to whatever you last set it to, so mine is always off.

Either way you can almost certainly turn it off with some coding.

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs
My dad freaked out and locked himself in my 540i and ended up breaking the interior door handle.

I'll add it to the list I guess...

But on the good note, 500 miles on the car in 2 days and it is running like a champ. Currently at 7k feet and snowing, further cementing my want for a locker (and now forced induction at this altitude).

mafoose fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Dec 26, 2014

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

Sadi posted:

I finally rendered the time lapse videos from fixing my M3. If you dont like the music tough tits, there is a mute button. The only recorded audio is at then end when I was making sure the fuel lines were good and the drive shaft was balanced.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_BWlLOsO54

I like the music, and interesting to see all the work that goes into DIY'ing a job like that.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Driving the old man's 3-series while home on holidays really makes me want to be dumb and buy my own. :smith:

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Work is super slow today (duh) and I am shopping e36's (M3s too) in other states, please send help

Brock Landers
Jul 28, 2004

You're a donkey. I like that.

El Scotch posted:

Driving the old man's 3-series while home on holidays really makes me want to be dumb and buy my own. :smith:

I bought a 5-speed E46 convertible and sold my 2010 Camry. My wife can't drive stick and we are expecting our third child. It's not my "fun" car, it's my DD.

You aren't that dumb.

User Error
Aug 31, 2006

PaintVagrant posted:

Work is super slow today (duh) and I am shopping e36's (M3s too) in other states, please send help

Here's a cheap one: http://stlouis.craigslist.org/cto/4784166806.html

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

I wish there was ever anything in my area that cheap and not a rusted piece of poo poo. Good link, now I am considering chatting with some friends of mine who live in St Louis...

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I probably wouldn't pay more than $4k for that one.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Yeah I wouldnt pay what he is asking. But any e36 that is even sort of straight is basically a unicorn here in Michigan. I should just take a vacay to my parents place (Tampa) and drive something home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

User Error
Aug 31, 2006
It's weird, all I ever see around here are beaters for $5k and really nice ones that people want like 12k for. You don't really see ones in between. I got luck with mine, paid 4500. It probably could have gone for 7500 if the seller had done more than park it on the side of the road with a sign on the windshield in buttfuck nowhere Ownesville Missouri.