Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

Kitfox88 posted:

uh if you look at the sprites abysians are red so it is strong injun man corrupted by blood sacrifice (fire water)

Would unironically play this nation exclusively

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

trapped in custom title factory, send help
I'm done with the arena

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Well, it isn't like he killed a dragon with that attack, right? 4 damage isn't enough, he had to make a few good rolls before.

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

trapped in custom title factory, send help
That was combat round 1, the dude ran up and hit the dragon before the dragon could react. But my dragon had fought 5 previous rounds in the arena that turn and apparently damage from those doesn't heal in between fights. Jomon dude only had to fight the one though :effort:

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Boing posted:

That was combat round 1, the dude ran up and hit the dragon before the dragon could react. But my dragon had fought 5 previous rounds in the arena that turn and apparently damage from those doesn't heal in between fights. Jomon dude only had to fight the one though :effort:
Was your dragon diseased?

e: also yes under no circumstances ever put your PG in there, people are going to spam the worst kind of horrible poo poo with their mages just to ensure it dies the time after it wins.

jBrereton fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Dec 25, 2014

Flame112
Apr 21, 2011
I'm pretty sure you don't heal after every battle. There's one specific place in the turn order where everyone who isn't diseased heals.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Boing posted:

Are you sure of that?

I could swear the Arena uses a "tourney" format, when there are several combatants, fights are organized in pairs, and the winner of each pair then fight in between themselves, like quarters, semifinals, finals, until they have the final winner. So it doesn't make sense your Dragon fought 5 times and the Jomon dude 1.
*maybe I'm wrong*. It wouldn't be the first time.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Turin Turambar posted:

I could swear the Arena uses a "tourney" format, when there are several combatants, fights are organized in pairs, and the winner of each pair then fight in between themselves, like quarters, semifinals, finals, until they have the final winner. So it doesn't make sense your Dragon fought 5 times and the Jomon dude 1.
*maybe I'm wrong*. It wouldn't be the first time.

I've had guys who fought a single battle and won the arena because they weren't randomly picked until the final battle and I've had guys who fought every single battle because they were randomly picked right at the start and kept winning. You definitely do not heal damage between arena fights.

I don't know precisely how the arena works; but it is definitely possible to only be picked to fight in the finals.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
The Arena poo poo is essentially useless anyway so who cares.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002
The boots are amazing

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
For a clown.

At the circus.

Who's diseased.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Neruz posted:

but it is definitely possible to only be picked to fight in the finals.

"But that's insanely retarded," he pleased to the uncaring Illwinter.

Diabl0658
Dec 10, 2008

These are the games we play.
Its those underworld bookies, they obviously rigged the arena so the underdog daimyo would win against the dragon and then their spectre buddies would rake in some serious winnings.

Spincut
Jan 14, 2008

Oh! OSHA gonna make you serve time!
'Cause you an occupational hazard tonight.
Hey-o, Dom4 is $8.75 on Steam right now for the 12-hour flash sale.

Which means I purchased it and I'm upgraded from Dom3 now! I...am not sure where to start, of course. Are the nations that were carried over from Dom3 changed by a whole lot? Is there a good place to catch up on everything new? I think I'm going to sign up for jolly game.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I'm looking today at Bandar Log. Anyone have hints for playing them? I'm doubting in which of the four types of monkeys, markatas, atavis, vanara, bandar, should I focus on building for my armies.

And some of the national summons confuse me. Why anyone would want to summon a Siddha, a Devata, a Devala, or a Rudra? They come too late and a bit too expensive for their power. Same with Nagaraja and Nagarishi, except they also are very hard to summon with your national mages. Yaksha, Yakshini and Kinnara are useful because they give you Water 3, Earth 3 and Air 2, in the other hand.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Spincut posted:

Hey-o, Dom4 is $8.75 on Steam right now for the 12-hour flash sale.

Which means I purchased it and I'm upgraded from Dom3 now! I...am not sure where to start, of course. Are the nations that were carried over from Dom3 changed by a whole lot? Is there a good place to catch up on everything new? I think I'm going to sign up for jolly game.

Hello and welcome to the game of musical hitlers! Always remember to mail electric six lyrics to <everyone> every turn of every game. I never played dom3 so I can't help you there, but http://larzm42.github.io/dom4inspector/ is good for looking up all the different units and spells and whatnot.

AmishSpecialForces
Jul 1, 2008
Checking the patch notes it seems Illwinter made P/S weapons slightly less poo poo underwater and re-jiggered some underwater spells and items. Is this the big UW patch that was mentioned previously? It seems kinda underwhelming. I just want my fish-mans to be viable.

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest
Dominions Four: I just want my fish-mans to be viable.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

AmishSpecialForces posted:

Checking the patch notes it seems Illwinter made P/S weapons slightly less poo poo underwater and re-jiggered some underwater spells and items. Is this the big UW patch that was mentioned previously? It seems kinda underwhelming. I just want my fish-mans to be viable.

I would say it's barely the start. He has to rework the UW nations.

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest
they have to rework the way underwater works completely, basically.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
I have a few days off, might properly finish up my amphibious mod that is actually just a "make them all land nations" mod.

e: Even if they completely redid UW province generation so that they Have Resources and other crazy poo poo like that, unless they change the code for how UW/Land nations work, underwater nations can't land recruits outside of forest/mountain/waste/coast recruitment. Plains are a big-old gently caress you despite being the kind of province that it's sometimes nice to get forts on just to solidify your income.

They'd also have to go for a pass over the aesthetically pleasing maps that come with the game and give them some mountain/forest/etc. attributes so they generate more resources.

jBrereton fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Dec 26, 2014

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
Can I play this with a friend or two and AI? The OP mentions you basically need a dedicated server. Is that because you can't save the game or is that just for giant goon games?

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Elukka posted:

Can I play this with a friend or two and AI? The OP mentions you basically need a dedicated server. Is that because you can't save the game or is that just for giant goon games?

I've never done it, but yeah, they are called Blitz games, one of your setup the game and the other connect to the game putting the IP of the other. Look in the Network menu.

AmishSpecialForces
Jul 1, 2008

jBrereton posted:

I have a few days off, might properly finish up my amphibious mod that is actually just a "make them all land nations" mod.

e: Even if they completely redid UW province generation so that they Have Resources and other crazy poo poo like that, unless they change the code for how UW/Land nations work, underwater nations can't land recruits outside of forest/mountain/waste/coast recruitment. Plains are a big-old gently caress you despite being the kind of province that it's sometimes nice to get forts on just to solidify your income.

They'd also have to go for a pass over the aesthetically pleasing maps that come with the game and give them some mountain/forest/etc. attributes so they generate more resources.

What do you mean by "make them all land nations"? I've been considering trying to make a simple mod that would give water provinces more resources/better sites.

Samog
Dec 13, 2006
At least I'm not an 07.

if that's all there is to the big underwater patch then fishmen will never be viable

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

What do you mean by "make them all land nations"? I've been considering trying to make a simple mod that would give water provinces more resources/better sites.
OK, so for all nations, whether they're in the game already or are a completely new nation, there is the ability to change them into being underwater or land nations.

What this actually changes is a huge bias in favour of starting/not starting in water, and whether national fort recruitment is for underwater or land forts (UW nations can always build forts on land, land nations can be set to be able to build forts underwater).

All land nations get up to 5 underwater commander and underwater unit recruitment slots. Alongside whatever indies are around, that gives them an underwater roster of usually about 6 commanders and 7 or 8 units - that isn't huge, but there are land nations which, on land, get a smaller roster, like Eriu for example. All factions also get a couple of coastal unit and commander slots, which means you can put whatever can crawl out of the ocean on there for flavour/balance???'s sake.

By contrast, water nations just get indies on land except for specific #x-rec which isn't fort-only. Lame. Even if the new patch has Gift of Air Breathing or something like that so that tons of Triton Guards can go on land with your Mind Lords, water nations will still be boring as gently caress on land unless that changes.

Killed a Girl in 96
Jun 15, 2001

DON'T STOP CAN'T STOP
A bunch of my friends are playing this game, so I bought it too. This thing is the most impenetrable web of bullshit I've ever come across. I watched a youtube video on how to play, and after 45 minutes the dude hadn't even started the actual game. Most of the interface is "here's a bunch of symbols that you're going to need to look up in the 300 page manual online" instead of just having a tooltip next to them.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Killed a Girl in 96 posted:

A bunch of my friends are playing this game, so I bought it too. This thing is the most impenetrable web of bullshit I've ever come across. I watched a youtube video on how to play, and after 45 minutes the dude hadn't even started the actual game. Most of the interface is "here's a bunch of symbols that you're going to need to look up in the 300 page manual online" instead of just having a tooltip next to them.
Agreed, too much RTFM going on, especially since a lot of the manual isn't helpful in the least.

What would you like to know?

Killed a Girl in 96
Jun 15, 2001

DON'T STOP CAN'T STOP
Maybe a 6 credit course at a post-secondary school.

How does anyone get into this game? Are most people holdovers from dominions 1-3?

Absum
May 28, 2013

Literally almost every symbol or stat can be clicked and the game will give you an explanation (which can range from super vague to relatively detailed) so just click everything you see.

e: I learned the game by clicking stuff, seriously I had never watched or read an lp but I knew more than most other newbies in my first games. I did play the super poo poo dom3 tutorial when I tried the demo but it's uh not that helpful except for learning that yes you can move armies and build stuff imo (didn't buy dom3 though).

Absum fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Dec 26, 2014

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

How does anyone get into this game? Are most people holdovers from dominions 1-3?

I learned by looking at one of the screenshot LP's here on Something Awful, and then got my rear end kicked a few times before I understood the game enough to at least beat the AI. Links are in the OP of this thread, just look it up.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

I got into Dom3 because I was searching for a nice, turn-based fantasy strategy sim at the time and it looked like fun. Dom4 was an upgrade for me in every aspect: I seriously deinstalled Dom3 the day I tried the fourth part and never looked back. (I think this is the opposite of being a holdover.)

Edit:

Goddamn typos.

Libluini fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Dec 26, 2014

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
I got into it from an LP of Dominions 3 and then playing that for a while.

I think it might be something you either get into or which falls flat, I'll see about making a guide on YouTube or something. What do you think you were most missing out on knowing?, because that stuff matters as to what gets talked about first.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Bought this because cheap and I've always wanted Dominions. I have no idea what the hell I am doing. :iia: I've got the hang of Paradox stuff, Dorf Fort, and Aurora, so I'm sure I'll figure this out.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I tried years ago the Dominions 3 demo, but the UI seemed to me super bad (and also the random maps are pretty ugly for the uninitiated). I hated having to click on each unit to know what was and how you couldn't compare stats between units, instead of having a normal table where you can see all the stats in one view. I left it thinking it surely was overrated :P.

Years later, I tried again with Dominions 4 after hearing how awesome the series was, this time doing it more properly, reading the manual, doing the tutorial included in the manual (yes a non-interactive tutorial, you have to read the manual and the do the stuff in the game) and with patience. And hey, the UI was still bad the game was promising. Then you get over the graphics, and the UI is alleviated with extensive use of keyboard shortcuts.
So yeah, I got in the game in Dominions 4, it isn't impossible.

So:

a) Read the manual. Use a tablet or a ebook reader and have it as your book to read this week. Do the tutorial included.
b) Faster lookup of units, spells and items here http://larzm42.github.com/dom4inspector
c) Be aware that one of the "problems" for noobs is how front loaded is the game. Before the first turn there are already very important strategic choices to make, when you make your Pretender. You have to know about dominion spread, bless mechanics, scales, choose a pretender depending of the strengths of your nation, etc.But one you overcome that problem the game is much more clearer.
d) Keys to learn

r to recruit
t to setup army
c to see a battle report in the selected province
v to view the battle in the selected province
n is next commander, f is previous commander
m is the message (events) list
? to list all the rest of key shortcuts, which are different depending on what windows you are in that moment.

Have Some Flowers!
Aug 27, 2004
Hey, I've got Navigate...
Hello new players! We're here to help - hop on IRC and ask questions, and ask them here too.

Big things to focus on as a new player:

1) Learn how to recruit troops and 'expand' by taking over independent provinces near your starting spot. A good player can pull upwards of 25+ provinces in the first year against the AI, but aiming for 15 is a good starting point.

2) Learn how to research magic, and how to script your mages to cast certain spells in battle. Flaming Arrows (a Fire spell at Enchantment 4) is a good target to go for if you have ranged troops. Thunder Strike (Evocation 4) is great if you have strong air mages. Horde of Skeletons (Enchantment 5) is really good if you have death mages. Those are some good examples, but you can really just pick an interesting spell and shoot for it.

3) I'd recommend picking some of the more simple nations. EA Vanheim, MA Vanheim and LA Midgard are all very simple and very strong nations to get started with.

4) Avoid Dominions 3 Let's Plays at first - they will make you interested in strategies that don't necessarily work anymore in Dom4. Focus on expanding well and learning how to script your troops and mages.

5) Once you're comfortable with expanding in your first year, hop in a newbie game! Everyone else is terrible, too.

6) Bookmark this website and use it: http://larzm42.github.io/dom4inspector/. It helps you lookup magic, items and units quickly.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Mister Adequate posted:

Bought this because cheap and I've always wanted Dominions. I have no idea what the hell I am doing. :iia: I've got the hang of Paradox stuff, Dorf Fort, and Aurora, so I'm sure I'll figure this out.

A primer about the game

1 You recruit commanders and normal units in your province with fort (recruit button)
2 The normal troops form squads, which have to be under a commander control to move around, ala Heroes/King's Bounty. You have to transfer them manually.
3 Dominions score in the build Pretender at the start of a game is more important you may believe, raise it up to 7, at least.
4 How to build stuff:
-Commanders can build new forts.
-Priests can build new temples, needed to recruit more priests and other "holy" units, and help to expand your religious-magical influence in the world (the white candles). Priests also has the option to preach in a province, which is like acting like a temple in the spread of the religion. Priests has a few spells, like Banish (good against undead) and Blessing (essential to bless special holy troops).
-Mages can build laboratories, needed to recruit more mages.
-Mages can go out to use the action "search magical sites", which they give you magical gems over time, the equivalent of mana in other fantasy 4x games.
-Mages in labs can research more magic spells, cast magic rituals (need gems) which include summoning spells, and forge magical items (also need gems). They also cast spells on battle, of course.
5 That initial Dominion score, temples and priests help spread your Dominion, which have certain scores associated to it, the scales you choose at the start of the game. The idea is simple: if you are a god of Order and luck, the lands under your Dominion gain more order and luck, you are a god of death and chaos, the lands will gain said features (like bonus gold, extra events, province's population dying, etc etc).
6 Blessing is the most complex but still inside of what we could call "basic features", and it's important because some nations use it as main strategy.
Your Pretender God has magical scores, like Fire 9 Or Nature 4, you choose then when you create him. This means he can do Fire and Nature magic, and he is especially good with Fire spells, but also means the bless of your god will be related to fire (+attack) and nature (+hp). Normally every Nation has most types of troops as normal soldiers, and in addition one elite troop which can be built in the capital, marked as "sacred" unit. Sacred units can be blessed in the middle of balttle by your priests, your prophet or your own God (that is just another unit in the game) to gain the extra bonus described above, related to the magic your Pretender God knows.

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Dec 26, 2014

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Thanks for that, your two posts here actually help with several things I was currently confused by! I take it these are common enough pitfalls for us new players? :eng101:

Have Some Flowers!
Aug 27, 2004
Hey, I've got Navigate...

Turin Turambar posted:

I'm looking today at Bandar Log. Anyone have hints for playing them? I'm doubting in which of the four types of monkeys, markatas, atavis, vanara, bandar, should I focus on building for my armies.
Most Bandar starts fall in two categories... either an awake Fire dragon, or a bless. The awake fire dragon is nice because it helps you expand quickly and then it provides Flaming Arrows later on for your massive hordes of archers. This is the best start for Bandar imo, because you can easily take Order/Sloth/Heat/Growth/Misf/Magic scales and have good income, good research and good early expansion.

The other start is where you go with a N9, W9 or F9 bless for your Tiger Riders and White Ones. This works as well, and N9 can be nice on your troops early on and then your Yogi communions later on. W9 gives your Tiger Riders more of an early game bite, and F9 is more of a meta bless if you see other N9/W9 bless nations in the game.

If you go with the dragon start, you can use elephants and cheap monkeys early on to expand easily. Just make sure to stop spending on elephants by about turn 9 or 10 - they won't hold up against other players, even if they're good to expand. You want to start making tons of monkey archers to fight other players. I'd recommend mixing the monkeys so you can layer them. Put the cheapest shortest ranged monkeys up front, with atavi archers behind them.

quote:

And some of the national summons confuse me. Why anyone would want to summon a Siddha, a Devata, a Devala, or a Rudra? They come too late and a bit too expensive for their power. Same with Nagaraja and Nagarishi, except they also are very hard to summon with your national mages. Yaksha, Yakshini and Kinnara are useful because they give you Water 3, Earth 3 and Air 2, in the other hand.
Siddhas are amazing because they are teleporting H3's. This is invaluable for Claiming Thrones or providing Divine Blessing for big armies of sacred monkeys/Gandharvas. Still, you probably only need 1 or 2 of them however. Devatas, Devalas and Rudras are traps - don't bother.

You want 1 Yakshini for site searching, forging and rituals. You spend the rest of your nature gems on Yakshas, because Earth and Earth/Astral are super important for Bandar. Earth provides you with spells like Iron Bane and Destruction, as well as the ability to do Earthquakes and Maws of the Earth. Earth/Astral is important to produce some Crystal Matrices to let you cast important spells on Turn 1 of fights.

You want 2 or 3 Kinnaras to provide air magic support for your armies. They can fly around and tap into Yogi communions to cast important spells like Wind Guide, Arrow Fend, Storm, Mass Flight and Fog Warriors. The rest of your pearls get spent on Gandharvas - these guys are amazing, especially with the buffs Bandar can provide.

Bandar doesn't get easy access to Flaming Arrows for all of its archers (unless you go the Fire Dragon route), but you can actually do more with Wind Guide + Destruction. Destruction is a great equalizer for the monkeys. Monkeys throwing poop can kill even Ashdod's epic giants when the giants have no armor.

Later on, Bandar has very cost-effective research and communions with great paths to use in communions. It has access to great mages and summons. The hardest part is just surviving the first 18 turns or so until you come into your own.

Have Some Flowers! fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Dec 26, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002
Just remember, Badar is an advanced nation with subtle sources of power and requires good use/knowledge of communions, combat buffs, intelligent and judicious use of summons, synergy, and pretty much every non-point-and-click magic path. Bandar is fun as hell but also difficult and confusing.

• Locked thread