Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
This is the first video of yours I can actually say I watched all the way through and thoroughly enjoyed. Fantastic update.

EDIT: Also has anybody made the joke that Soul Eater is Cloud's ripped off wing, which is why he no longer has it in KH2?

Gologle fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Dec 26, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArctheNomad
Dec 30, 2012

Did you ever beat Canary Mary? No! I haven't even PLAYED Bioshock Infinite!

Gologle posted:

This is the first video of yours I can actually say I watched all the way through and thoroughly enjoyed. Fantastic update.

EDIT: Also has anybody made the joke that Soul Eater is Cloud's ripped off wing, which is why he no longer has it in KH2?
Good to hear and nobody has made that joke yet. Btw, can you tell me what you didn't like about the other episodes?

Prythian
Aug 6, 2012

sweet dreams
So! Last info-post from me for the remainder of the game, because Riku's sleights are all available to him at once. They work a bit differently from Sora's. Firstly, Riku can only use attack sleights while in Dark Mode, which you do by breaking enemy cards. That is, except for Duels, which you trigger by using the same number card as currently out and then breaking a bunch of cards. There are two things that determine with sleight you use after winning a duel; how many cards you have, and whether or not you are in Dark Mode.

New Sleights

Attack

Dark Break: Jump into the air and bounce on top of enemies. Use Triangle to continue the combo. Three attack cards totaling 5-15.

Dark Firaga: Basically a really powerful Firaga, only dark damage instead of fire. Three attack cards totaling 16-25.

Dark Aura: Everyone who's played KH1 knows this attack. Riku teleports all over the place, rushing enemies with the Soul Eater, and then finishes the combo with a large explosion. Murders EVERYTHING. Three attack cards totaling 27.

Friend

MM Miracle Lv2/Lv3: Mickey heals you, damages and stuns enemies, and reloads your cards. Two or three Mickeys.

Holy Burst: Riku and Mickey spin around the arena, shooting blasts of light at enemies. You can guide where they go like normal. Mickey and two attack cards.

Inverse Burst: The same thing as Holy Burst, but in Dark Mode. Now Riku shoots darkness as well, making it vastly more damaging. Mickey and two attack cards.

Duel

Impulse: Knock enemies into the air before slamming them into the ground. Win a three-card duel.

Dark Impulse: Same as Impulse, but more powerful. Win a three-card duel in Dark Mode.

Maelstrom: A spinning attack on a single enemy, fairly powerful. Win a five-card duel.

Dark Maelstrom: Same as Maelstrom, but MUCH more powerful. Win a five-card duel in Dark Mode. This is your bread and butter for destroying most later bosses.

Barrage: Throw Soul Eater at an enemy. Win a seven-card duel.

Dark Barrage: Throw MANY Soul Eaters an enemy. Easily the most damaging attack in the entire game. Win a seven-card duel in Dark Mode.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3

jayman52 posted:

Good to hear and nobody has made that joke yet. Btw, can you tell me what you didn't like about the other episodes?

It has little to do with you and more to do with myself. You all sound like actual fans of the series and I'm really not because the fanbase ruined it for me years ago, so I tend to stay away from most anything involving actual fans of the series. Of course, there's going to be somebody saying: "It's stupid to dislike a game solely because of its fanbase", but I invested WAY more of my liking of the series and my time into the fanbase than I should have, and coming to the realization about the people I was spending time around, both IRL and on the internet, was supremely horrifying.

ArctheNomad
Dec 30, 2012

Gologle posted:

It has little to do with you and more to do with myself. You all sound like actual fans of the series and I'm really not because the fanbase ruined it for me years ago, so I tend to stay away from most anything involving actual fans of the series. Of course, there's going to be somebody saying: "It's stupid to dislike a game solely because of its fanbase", but I invested WAY more of my liking of the series and my time into the fanbase than I should have, and coming to the realization about the people I was spending time around, both IRL and on the internet, was supremely horrifying.
Well, I'm glad to hear that you are still able to at least enjoy the episodes if not for the games themselves then for the commentators.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
You've got it backwards.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
I've generally just been lurking and reading infoposts because I enjoyed the first game the most- the cacophony of systems that later entries have added sorta ruined it for me (also the universal QTE Win Button in 2). I'll be returning as a more active viewer as the series progresses to games I haven't played, though.

Prythian
Aug 6, 2012

sweet dreams

Discendo Vox posted:

I've generally just been lurking and reading infoposts because I enjoyed the first game the most- the cacophony of systems that later entries have added sorta ruined it for me (also the universal QTE Win Button in 2). I'll be returning as a more active viewer as the series progresses to games I haven't played, though.

Well it's good to know that someone appreciates the infoposts.

ArctheNomad
Dec 30, 2012

Prythian posted:

Well it's good to know that someone appreciates the infoposts.

I'm sure everyone appreciates them. If everyone just posted that they enjoyed them then the thread would be filled with pointless posts.

gatesealer
Apr 9, 2011

Holy poo poo you guys really were brutal in these videos. I understand why, but god drat.

ArctheNomad
Dec 30, 2012

Eh, it helped me get better as you will see on Monday.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

gatesealer posted:

Holy poo poo you guys really were brutal in these videos. I understand why, but god drat.

Keep in mind, it was also at the end of a marathon 2+ hour recording session and we were feeling rather grouchy. If we hadn't been, or if he hadn't been qute so terrible, we would have been more lenient.

It all just came together in a perfect storm and we all decided to just let him have it.

(By the way I was serious about buying him a Canary Mary avatar.)

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

Hey, heads up. I'm about to unleash my rage.

Okay, this part of CoM always threw me for a loop. I constantly asked the question "Why?" with Riku's side.
Also, it REALLY annoys me that I can't just go to a new post and NOT have forum autoscroll to screenshots that are still loading in.

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer

Silver Falcon posted:

Keep in mind, it was also at the end of a marathon 2+ hour recording session and we were feeling rather grouchy. If we hadn't been, or if he hadn't been qute so terrible, we would have been more lenient.

It all just came together in a perfect storm and we all decided to just let him have it.

I am always a grouch thank you very much. :colbert:

gatesealer
Apr 9, 2011

Silver Falcon posted:

no I get it, and after his post of "you guys are mean" I was fully expecting some bullying. I just wasn't prepared for the level of it. I certainly am not trying to call any of you out for it. I was just surprised.Though from the sounds of it it worked and he will now be playing better.

ArctheNomad
Dec 30, 2012

Hey I know it's a little late today, but here is the new update!

New Episodes (Uncut)
Episode 018 - "Kingdom Hearts Re: Chain of Memories HD: The Christmas Miracle Episode"
Episode 019 - "Kingdom Hearts Re: Chain of Memories HD: The One With The Convoluted Plot"

New Episodes
Episode 018 - "Kingdom Hearts Re: Chain of Memories HD: The Christmas Miracle Episode"
Episode 019 - "Kingdom Hearts Re: Chain of Memories HD: The One With The Convoluted Plot"

D-Report Update

New Character

DiZ

ArctheNomad fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Dec 30, 2014

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

Yeah, this part is when I gave up on understanding Riku's Story in here. It was dull, tedious, and not fun.

gatesealer
Apr 9, 2011

So if my memory of this game is correct the only thing left is the up coming boss fight and the ending cutscenes which should only take 1 video assuming you didn't really screw up the boss fight. So since you typically put out 2 videos per update does that mean they added something to Re:CoM or are we starting KH2?

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

gatesealer posted:

So if my memory of this game is correct the only thing left is the up coming boss fight and the ending cutscenes which should only take 1 video assuming you didn't really screw up the boss fight. So since you typically put out 2 videos per update does that mean they added something to Re:CoM or are we starting KH2?

One video update, because Arcturus doesn't want to start a game in the middle of two updates.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
By the way is the BBS stream going to be uploaded to the main youtube channel when we get to that game? Cause hitbox doesn't save videos by default.

ArctheNomad
Dec 30, 2012

Thank you for bringing that up. I will actually be bringing that stream over to the channel as soon as I get a chance. I've just been really busy between work, the holidays and preparing for KH2. To be honest, I have actually taken on the responsibility of creating the LP series for the Kingdom Hearts Wiki over @ khwiki.com as well. So, as you can see, I have my plate pretty full at the moment.

Edit: Well, I have some bad news, I just checked my Hitbox account and unfortunately I didn't save the streams in time and they have all gone kaput. Well, poo poo I'm sorry about that folks but I will remember to take care of that more promptly next time. Speaking of which, if you are interested I will be streaming on New Year's Eve and up until New Year's Day. The stream will be titled "New Years Evil" and if you are a kid of the 90s like I am and liked watching Toonami on Cartoon Network then you will know what I am referencing. The stream will start with Resident Evil HD Remaster for the PS3 and will probably go through as many of the Resident Evil games as I can get through. I hope you all tune in for it because I'm sure it will be a lot of fun.

ArctheNomad fucked around with this message at 10:08 on Dec 30, 2014

Nuramor
Dec 13, 2012

Most Amewsing Prinny Ever!
Also, you mentioned a "Days"-video you recorded. Is that posted somewhere, or will it be or anything like that?

Prythian
Aug 6, 2012

sweet dreams

Nuramor posted:

Also, you mentioned a "Days"-video you recorded. Is that posted somewhere, or will it be or anything like that?

To keep stuff in more-or-less sensible order, the Days video is going to be posted after the prologue for KH2 is finished, or at least not before then. It'll keep things just a bit less confusing, since the game originally came out after KH2 and focuses on characters introduced there.

Prythian fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Dec 30, 2014

DLord
Apr 28, 2013
Hearing about him coplaining about the cards getting knocked off makes me laugh at him. Namely because if he didn't cheese the first part of the name he would have run into it already and know how to deal with it. Maybe that is why he didn't do so good, he got too used to win moves and not really playing. Its a lot more interesting when the bosses can do stuff and not just die.

Prythian
Aug 6, 2012

sweet dreams

DLord posted:

Hearing about him coplaining about the cards getting knocked off makes me laugh at him. Namely because if he didn't cheese the first part of the name he would have run into it already and know how to deal with it. Maybe that is why he didn't do so good, he got too used to win moves and not really playing. Its a lot more interesting when the bosses can do stuff and not just die.

The funniest thing about that is that Marluxia's final fight does a similar thing about scattering cards around on the ground and having to pick them up, so the game expects you to have seen a slightly-easier version of Zexion's gimmick already!

ArctheNomad
Dec 30, 2012

Yes, yes we all know that I suck at Kingdom Hearts Re: Chain of Memories. It's time we prepared for a more lengthy journey. This journey starts on Monday so be looking forward to that.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Does the stream debacle mean that BBS will never see the thread or will it just be redone when the time is right? Also looking forward to KH2 on Monday then. :)

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
I mean, we've already got another LP of it, but on the other hand, that one didn't REALLY use the overpowered abilities.

ArctheNomad
Dec 30, 2012

BioEnchanted posted:

Does the stream debacle mean that BBS will never see the thread or will it just be redone when the time is right? Also looking forward to KH2 on Monday then. :)

Oh heck no! We are just doing one game at a time and Birth By Sleep will come after KH2 Final Mix HD. Everyone I have talked to has said that it makes sense to go that way because of how Birth By Sleep expects you to know and understand certain plot points from KH2.

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

jayman52 posted:

Oh heck no! We are just doing one game at a time and Birth By Sleep will come after KH2 Final Mix HD. Everyone I have talked to has said that it makes sense to go that way because of how Birth By Sleep expects you to know and understand certain plot points from KH2.

This is true. There are many things in what people call "Side Games" that require knowledge of other games. I feel bad for people jumping into KH3 and not having played any of the Handheld games.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

IIRC, Days and Re:Coded are the only ones that aren't mandatory in order to understand the metaplot, right? They add some background, especially for OrgXIII, but I don't recall them adding anything huge that pays off in any future games.

Prythian
Aug 6, 2012

sweet dreams

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

IIRC, Days and Re:Coded are the only ones that aren't mandatory in order to understand the metaplot, right? They add some background, especially for OrgXIII, but I don't recall them adding anything huge that pays off in any future games.

Days adds background to the Organization as well as some clarification of... things (to be specified later if I remember), Re:Coded's only contribution to the metaplot is basically a hint at where things at go. If you have to skip any of them and still want to understand things, skip Re:Coded. (But don't because Re:Coded is fun as hell)

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

There's at least one character who's actions don't really make a lot of sense in KH2 unless you play Days.

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

The Triad Frog is pleased with this custom title purchase.

Dr Pepper posted:

There's at least one character who's actions don't really make a lot of sense in KH2 unless you play Days.

Can we all agree the plot is a giant convoluted mess not seen in popular media since the days of 90s Marvel Comics?

"Oh, you didn't [read/play] [Jubilee #14/Unpopular cellphone game released only in Japan]? Well the creators put very important plot points there that will NEVER be brought up anywhere else in the series, so good luck figuring out [who's a clone/who's a clone]!"

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I actually replayed the first two (KH1+2) main games recently, (Literally just beat 2 again) intending to do as much as I could. With KH1 I finally got the ultimate weapon and the only thing I didn't do besides grinding to 99 was beat Sephiroth (That fight's just obnoxious). In 2 there are only 2 things I didn't bother to do Last 2 paradox cups.(Again, Obnoxious). Looking forward to your playthrough.

ArctheNomad
Dec 30, 2012

I've recently been recording, but between episodes I was grinding an immense amount during the prologue of KH2. I am currently level 11 in the Sorcerer's Loft. All the grinding is because of critical mode. Yep, the KH2 playthrough will be done on Critical mode, though it won't be a zero experience run (of course).

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

Prythian posted:

Days adds background to the Organization as well as some clarification of... things (to be specified later if I remember), Re:Coded's only contribution to the metaplot is basically a hint at where things at go. If you have to skip any of them and still want to understand things, skip Re:Coded. (But don't because Re:Coded is fun as hell)
I think Re:Coded is to Dream Drop Distance as Days is to KH2 in the example posted above.

Certain stuff in DDD made FAR more sense to me after I got the general cutscene jist of Re:Coded.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
You really don't need Days to understand KH2 at all though. Like, the most important thing would probably be Axel's friendship with Roxas and how far he'll go to keep Roxas, but you could already glean plenty of that from Kingdom Hearts 2.

ArctheNomad
Dec 30, 2012

Hey there, time for the final update of Re: Chain of Memories.

New Episodes (Uncut)
Episode 020 - "Kingdom Hearts Re: Chain of Memories HD: The End"

New Episodes
Episode 020 - "Kingdom Hearts Re: Chain of Memories HD: The End"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArctheNomad
Dec 30, 2012

Putting out a call to those reading this thread. If you want to join in the LP, the just contact me on Skype @ thegreatjoshini.

• Locked thread