Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Monkeys are hard. The closest to a newbie monkey nation is Lanka because you can just make temples and recruit swarms of priest to reanimate skeletons for you to get killed in hilarious ways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Mister Adequate posted:

Thanks for that, your two posts here actually help with several things I was currently confused by! I take it these are common enough pitfalls for us new players? :eng101:

I added a pair of points more in the above post, finishing the "primer".

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
MA Tien is a very fun nation to play. They're hard though.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Have Some Flowers! posted:

Siddhas are amazing because they are teleporting H3's. This is invaluable for Claiming Thrones or providing Divine Blessing for big armies of sacred monkeys/Gandharvas. Still, you probably only need 1 or 2 of them however. Devatas, Devalas and Rudras are traps - don't bother.

You want 1 Yakshini for site searching, forging and rituals. You spend the rest of your nature gems on Yakshas, because Earth and Earth/Astral are super important for Bandar. Earth provides you with spells like Iron Bane and Destruction, as well as the ability to do Earthquakes and Maws of the Earth. Earth/Astral is important to produce some Crystal Matrices to let you cast important spells on Turn 1 of fights.

You want 2 or 3 Kinnaras to provide air magic support for your armies. They can fly around and tap into Yogi communions to cast important spells like Wind Guide, Arrow Fend, Storm, Mass Flight and Fog Warriors. The rest of your pearls get spent on Gandharvas - these guys are amazing, especially with the buffs Bandar can provide.

Bandar doesn't get easy access to Flaming Arrows for all of its archers (unless you go the Fire Dragon route), but you can actually do more with Wind Guide + Destruction. Destruction is a great equalizer for the monkeys. Monkeys throwing poop can kill even Ashdod's epic giants when the giants have no armor.

Later on, Bandar has very cost-effective research and communions with great paths to use in communions. It has access to great mages and summons. The hardest part is just surviving the first 18 turns or so until you come into your own.

After having written that, I did the same reasoning with Siddhas, teleport-10 with H3 had to be very good to take Thrones by surprise, and Bandar don't have native H3 in any case, and if you focus on White Ones and tigers you can get pretty big balls of sacred units. I thought they weren't worth it because as mages Kinnaras are cheaper as air mages, you have tons of astral already, and combat-wise, they can be "traps", as 4 hand slots, awe, sacred and ambidextrous makes them seem a possible thug, but their bad combat stats makes it too risky or too expensive.
I did a list of interesting stuff to forge and spells to cast, and yeah, lots of Astral+Earth there, so I can see why you want lots of Yakshas. I also read a Dom3 Bandar guide and they also mentioned the Iron Bane / Destruction / strength giants / marble warriors for them, as your armies are big and some units have two attacks. Also Curse of Stones and using a big blob of markatas with their def14 to out-tire the enemy. Kinnaras for Wind guide as a minimum yeah.

Azram Legion
Jan 23, 2005

Drunken Poet Glory
I sort of miss the days when Rudras were super combatant engines of destruction and mayhem, rather than expensive thug-mage summons. Sure, it is probably better for the game overall that SCs aren't as dominant, but Rudras are cooooool!

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002
SCs are really cool in concept and they're fun to have but they're not particularly good for the game and not very interactive. I'd like some thugs to be slightly better overall barring ponies but otherwise I think the game is in a good place with regards to one-man armies.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Rudra are super duper cool and should probably be halved in cost because 60 pearls is waaay too much to pay. All of the high end monkey summons should probably be reduced by about half.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Azram Legion posted:

I sort of miss the days when Rudras were super combatant engines of destruction and mayhem, rather than expensive thug-mage summons. Sure, it is probably better for the game overall that SCs aren't as dominant, but Rudras are cooooool!

I haven't played Dom3 but for me part of the problem is that they come too drat late (if you reach that stage and the game isn't finished before!), at Conj9, as to plan for them or count in their use in any way. 55 Astral gems is high and maybe it should be 45, but isn't the big problem, you can get enough gems if you reached that late stage of the game.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Turin Turambar posted:

I haven't played Dom3 but for me part of the problem is that they come too drat late (if you reach that stage and the game isn't finished before!), at Conj9, as to plan for them or count in their use in any way. 55 Astral gems is high and maybe it should be 45, but isn't the big problem, you can get enough gems if you reached that late stage of the game.

In dom3 you had a clam farm going and by the time you had rudra you were summoning and kitting one or more per turn.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Research was also much easier and artifacts were better. Troops only existed in the form of blobs and there were no damage types and armloss afflictions.
Luck and 100% resists as well.
There's about 30% less gems and sites in Dom4 versus Dom3 on default settings, plus the loss of gemgens tend to hit high level summons hard. Blood summons are still great though for obvious reasons.

amuayse fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Dec 26, 2014

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.
It seems a bit odd to worry about SC's wrecking the game when you have rituals that affect every single person on the planet. If you're okay with game-ending global rituals that can be cast for ~75 gems, I don't know why spending ~75 gems on one unit that can only do one thing per turn is such a balance issue.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

How are u posted:

Rudra are super duper cool and should probably be halved in cost because 60 pearls is waaay too much to pay. All of the high end monkey summons should probably be reduced by about half.

The vast majority of summons are too expensive, especially mages.

Jabarto posted:

It seems a bit odd to worry about SC's wrecking the game when you have rituals that affect every single person on the planet. If you're okay with game-ending global rituals that can be cast for ~75 gems, I don't know why spending ~75 gems on one unit that can only do one thing per turn is such a balance issue.

Because the only global that directly qualifies as game winning is Astral Corruption which nearly everyone agrees is OP, because Horrors are OP.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

there's only a couple categories for globals

the 'gently caress you' category: astral corruption

the 'this is really aggravating' category: vengeful waters, burden of time, etc.

the 'this is vaguely okay at best and pointless at worst' category: everything else

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Tips from a pro player (me) to new players:

1. Pick an awake Dom9 dragon with order 3 scales. This gives you a dragon (cool) and money (cool). You can play around with the other scales to taste. If you have extra points you could increase its magic path.
2. Script your dragon to attack or fire or whatever the gently caress, just make sure it isn't going to cast spells and pass out
3. Give your starting commander a funny name like Goose Fucker and make him into your Prophet.
4. Put a mage and as many troops as you can get into the recruitment queue
5. End your turn
6. Send your dragon and army to take different provinces.
7. If your dragon died go AI

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

Jabarto posted:

It's a balance issue.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

I Love You! posted:

It's a balance issue.

It's standard issue.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

the 'this is really aggravating' category: vengeful waters, burden of time, etc.

the 'this is vaguely okay at best and pointless at worst' category: everything else

Gemgens and Gift of Health are still great and awesome

By the way, has anyone ever gotten anything good out of Celestial Rainbow?

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

The good old days

GoodluckJonathan
Oct 31, 2003

I just bought this game because it was cheap as balls on Steam and the LPs from a while back made it look fun. Do newbie games start up pretty often or what?

edit: just signed up on the site in the OP

GoodluckJonathan fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Dec 27, 2014

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

trapped in custom title factory, send help
Fairly often. There's one that's just filled up and should be starting shortly, but given that we're getting a lot of new people in from the Steam sale it's a good bet someone will start another one soon.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

amuayse posted:

Gemgens and Gift of Health are still great and awesome

i would throw those into the third category still, because even if they're good and have no real downsides going on whatsoever you're still gonna be competing for them and/or vying for space on a board that's probably filled with the more commonly casted globals

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
to all the new people i would like to point out that the manual was written by a fan and has a bunch of lies/assumptions in it, and also the dude who wrote it "likes mystery" and as such refuses to explain some things (because he doesnt loving know)

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
The 400 pg manual that they offer to sell on their home page?

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight

Excelsiortothemax posted:

The 400 pg manual that they offer to sell on their home page?

yes.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
it's available as a PDF. The dude who wrote it also wrote the dom3 manual and is on the 3 moves ahead podcast. He talks about dominions every once in a while and doesn't seem that good at it.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

i would throw those into the third category still, because even if they're good and have no real downsides going on whatsoever you're still gonna be competing for them and/or vying for space on a board that's probably filled with the more commonly casted globals

I guess? I nearly always see a person who gets Mother Oak up first get Gift of Health next in most games. I rarely see people go out of the way to dispel gemgens in the same sense they want to dispel vengeful waters or burden though.

Samog
Dec 13, 2006
At least I'm not an 07.

jsoh posted:

to all the new people i would like to point out that the manual was written by a fan and has a bunch of lies/assumptions in it, and also the dude who wrote it "likes mystery" and as such refuses to explain some things (because he doesnt loving know)

there is a lot of very good stuff in the manual even if it avoids talking about some things (horror marks)

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

amuayse posted:

I guess? I nearly always see a person who gets Mother Oak up first get Gift of Health next in most games. I rarely see people go out of the way to dispel gemgens in the same sense they want to dispel vengeful waters or burden though.

People rarely go out of their way to dispel any globals except BoT and Vengeful Waters. People would dispel AC but because AC is a blood spell its super easy to just put hundreds of slaves into it making it impossible to reasonably dispel so most efforts go into making sure no blood nations make it to end game to cast AC in the first place and generally if AC goes up then you've already lost.

BoT is way less potent now but is still sufficiently annoying, especially for old man nations, that usually someone will try and dispel it, Vengeful makes it basically impossible to invade someone who has it up unless you are one of a handful of nations that can easily deal with endless water elemental assassinations (hello Ulm) so these days Vengeful seems to be the global that people really fight over.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
I just discovered something pretty amazing; if you summon a unique unit like say one of the Treelords and have that guy cast Transformation you can re-summon the same unique. It appears that the game loses track of the unit when it transforms so I now have a test game where I own seven Treelords and three Belials.

Smerdyakov
Jul 8, 2008

Neruz posted:

I just discovered something pretty amazing; if you summon a unique unit like say one of the Treelords and have that guy cast Transformation you can re-summon the same unique. It appears that the game loses track of the unit when it transforms so I now have a test game where I own seven Treelords and three Belials.

But how many of them are mindless freaks, dragonflies, or sheep?

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Smerdyakov posted:

But how many of them are mindless freaks, dragonflies, or sheep?

None of them, three treelords are tigers, one is a bear and one is a pig. Both the extra Belials are bears. It appears most things that are innately nature mages are marked for good transformations.

I did have luck dom so that might have helped.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

A few comments

-Rage of the Cornered Rat spell is a letdown. It applies berserk effect... but a (gone berserk +0), instead of the normal +2 or +3. In other words, it only serves for having morale 99. Booo. I suppose it's good for your elephants.

-Not being able to fly over a single sea province is bullshit.

-Is there a spell that gives you reinvigoration? Apart from summon earthpower and the blood one.

-After test-playing them a pair of days, Bandar is an advanced nation yeah, because it has a hard-ish start, Astral and Nature are pretty versatile but they don't have the straight-power-battlefield spells, and you really need to know when and in what priority use your gems, because they have lots of options in troops summons, mage summons that break you into Earth / Water / Air, and therefore lots of forging options through national and summoned mages, buff spells for your big but average armies, etc. It's a nation where you really have to know how make magic work, in every facet, but powerful if you know how.

-When you play AI games, always remember to check twice the AI type, it defaults to random, which includes the punchbag "defensive AI" (yeah, even more punchbag than normal).

-I wonder, how many nations have your tried guys? in how many years? Counting both sp and mp. There are too many nations to try them all, but I wanted to at least try one of each type, a greatest-hits of Dominions (one undead nation, one pony nation, one giant nation, one UW nation, one heavy-blood nation, one turmoil nation) and one version of the nations with presence in the three ages, so one Agharta, one Caelum, one Ctis, one Abysia, one Ulm, one Pangea, one Tien Chi, etc). I think I'm going to need one more year :P.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Turin Turambar posted:

-Is there a spell that gives you reinvigoration?
Relief is in-effect battlefield reinvig.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

jBrereton posted:

Relief is in-effect battlefield reinvig.

I knew there was at least one, thanks, I don't know why I couldn't find it yesterday.
Is there a "caster only" version?

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Turin Turambar posted:

-Rage of the Cornered Rat spell is a letdown. It applies berserk effect... but a (gone berserk +0), instead of the normal +2 or +3. In other words, it only serves for having morale 99. Booo. I suppose it's good for your elephants.

Yeah, the only use I found for it was in the Nationgen game where I had hoburg berserkers with berserk 6 but only ~5 hp so they tended to straight up die before they could go nuts. Casting Rage of the Cornered Rat and later Growing Fury neatly dealt with that issue by setting them all off and causing stacks of screaming hobbits to murder everything they came across.

Turin Turambar posted:

-I wonder, how many nations have your tried guys? in how many years? Counting both sp and mp. There are too many nations to try them all, but I wanted to at least try one of each type, a greatest-hits of Dominions (one undead nation, one pony nation, one giant nation, one UW nation, one heavy-blood nation, one turmoil nation) and one version of the nations with presence in the three ages, so one Agharta, one Caelum, one Ctis, one Abysia, one Ulm, one Pangea, one Tien Chi, etc). I think I'm going to need one more year :P.

Including singleplayer games I have most definitely played at least one serious game (at least 80 turns) with every single nation in every era. No I don't know why I enjoy facerolling around in a pile of idiot AI's as much as I do.

TNN, Eriu and MA Man also have the Soothing Song national spell which is an AoE fatigue removal.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Turin Turambar posted:

I knew there was at least one, thanks, I don't know why I couldn't find it yesterday.
Is there a "caster only" version?
Other than Reinvigorate for Blood magic, no, but nations with spellsongs can effectively jam themselves up a pretty good area where your mages don't fatigue out so much.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Thanks to the fact that soothing song costs 5 fatigue and restores 5 fatigue in an aoe of 10 +5/level if you get multiple casters all overlapping they can easily keep casting it forever.

Well at least right until they go off script and decide to cast vine arrow or something instead.

AmishSpecialForces
Jul 1, 2008

Neruz posted:

Including singleplayer games I have most definitely played at least one serious game (at least 80 turns) with every single nation in every era. No I don't know why I enjoy facerolling around in a pile of idiot AI's as much as I do.

I enjoy it too. MP Dom tends to default to a smaller set of viable strategies whereas in SP you can do pretty much whatever and see what happens.

Of course, it is kinda embarrassing when I get steamrolled because I dicked around too much summoning/gift of reasoning/fish amulet-ing monster fish or something.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

Not played in a while, starting up again, single player.

After you finish telling me I suck and that I need to play multiplayer, what are some custom maps good for single player?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
All of Elmokki's maps that come with the game are pretty solid.

e: or do you mean maps with a special gimmick of some kind?

jBrereton fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Dec 27, 2014

• Locked thread