Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Prison Warden posted:

He was spat up as an egg, and until he hatched, the voice of his father constantly said "Kill Goku" in his head, at least, in the TFS version.

Wait, what? When was this ever mentioned?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Some Numbers posted:

Wait, what? When was this ever mentioned?

Just this episode.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Not going to lie, I wanted LK's Frieza to kill everyone and gain immortality. :allears:

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

TheKingofSprings posted:

What was piccolo saying he felt nostalgic for? Was it a reference to him being King Piccolo's son?

Android 17 told him to get off his high horse and he was nostalgic for his old ride.

http://youtu.be/phV5K80TuNY

That horse was bad as gently caress.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Gonzo McFee posted:

I always thought that it was if you get caught off guard by a punch it doesn't really matter what power level you're at, you weren't prepaired for the hit. That's why guys like kid Gohan can get a good hit on fully powered Frieza.

It matters. There's a certain level of default durability. But someone wayyyy weaker could hurt someone that's not using their ki to block it.

The best example is Gohan saving Vegeta vs. Cell. The weaker Cell would have obliterated Vegeta, but broke the non-blocking Gohan's arm with the same attack. Or Gohan or Piccolo knocking Freeza away when they blindsided him.

Kortel
Jan 7, 2008

Nothing to see here.

Darko posted:

It matters. There's a certain level of default durability. But someone wayyyy weaker could hurt someone that's not using their ki to block it.

The best example is Gohan saving Vegeta vs. Cell. The weaker Cell would have obliterated Vegeta, but broke the non-blocking Gohan's arm with the same attack. Or Gohan or Piccolo knocking Freeza away when they blindsided him.

Or Krillan hitting a sleeping SSJ Goku with a rock. poo poo hurt.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

That rock is the strongest DBZ antagonist.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Kortel posted:

Or Krillan hitting a sleeping SSJ Goku with a rock. poo poo hurt.

Baby Goku fell off a cliff onto his head and didn't die. That rock lob is a Toei filler thing :)

However, biting Freeza's tail, and Bulma's slaps are all canon!

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
I always figured Chi can be consciously used to increase toughness (when you put your guard up, for example), even if it doesn't need sustained thought once you get going.

Hence the rock thing works because Goku has his guard down.

As for the tail biting and the slapping, Goku does eat alot of food, maybe his jaw's crushing power is maximum!

The Slap? Eh, i got nothin'.

Thyrork fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Dec 26, 2014

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Thyrork posted:

I always figured Chi can be consciously used to increase toughness (when you put your guard up, for example), even if it doesn't need sustained thought once you get going.

Hence the rock thing works because Goku has his guard down.

As for the tail biting and the slapping, Goku does eat alot of food, maybe his jaw's crushing power is maximum!

The Slap? Eh, i got nothin'.

Bulma is the strongest human alive, but can only use her ki when she's pissed.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

WickedHate posted:

They're voices are embedded in my brain nearly as much as the original Funimation dub, too. Freeza's definitely. No voice for Freeza sounds as right as LK. In some cases they're nearly identical anyway.

I watched something with Krillin's dub voice the other day and it sounded wrong. Sorry Sonny Strait, but Lanipator has fully replaced you in my head.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Zonekeeper posted:

I watched something with Krillin's dub voice the other day and it sounded wrong. Sorry Sonny Strait, but Lanipator has fully replaced you in my head.

I feel the same way with MasakoX an' Goku. The dubs try far too hard to make him Superman.

Piccolo will always be Scott McNeil, though.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Dec 26, 2014

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

ConanThe3rd posted:

I feel the same way with MasakoX an' Goku. The dubs try far too hard to make him Superman.

MasakoX's performance definitely feels closer to Masako Nozawa's.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Is it wrong that my favorite DBZA character was Zarbon?

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Is it wrong that my favorite DBZA character was Zarbon?

He was a well established play on the character.

To be fair, that accounts for 99% of the cast.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

ConanThe3rd posted:

He was a well established play on the character.

To be fair, that accounts for 99% of the cast.

Also to be fair, when they do something original with the other 1% of the characters they knock it out of the park. See: Guru, Nappa, Popo, etc.

Granted, it usually tends to be the bit characters that didn't get much characterization to exaggerate in the first place.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

I showed a lady friend Battle of the Gods as her first exposure to Dragon Ball and then Abridged, and she didn't notice a noticeable difference in any way, which is huge praise for Abridged.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

So does anyone know what version of GT's opening they use in the top 4 video, here?

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
What the hell was Yajirobe even eating?

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

SALT CURES HAM posted:

What the hell was Yajirobe even eating?

Dr Brief's clones of his wife.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

ConanThe3rd posted:

Dr Brief's clones of his wife.

This confused me for a while too. It'd been so long since they mentioned it and it was such a throwaway joke.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

This confused me for a while too. It'd been so long since they mentioned it and it was such a throwaway joke.

It was literally the end of the previous episode.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Two Tone Shoes posted:

It was literally the end of the previous episode.

Which was like a month ago. I'm only now getting the joke myself.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.

Caros posted:

Which was like a month ago. I'm only now getting the joke myself.

It hasn't been so long since they referenced the joke, unless "so long" means "the closest relative time possible."

If he meant it's been awhile since the last episode then sure, but they actually did not have the ability to more recently reference the throwaway joke.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
gently caress the police comin straight from the underground

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Revival of F is sounding like what I wanted the Androids Arc to be.

I always thought it would've been neat if Goku and Friends had to fight against Frieza's forces and the Androids on Earth, with each faction against the other two. And then eventually Frieza would get defeated and his cells taken by Dr. Gero for Cell, but he'd get stopped beforehand or something.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Why does Krillin even need a hoverbike. He can fly across the world.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

The same reason Goku and Piccolo needed driving lessons. :colbert:

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Blockhouse posted:

Man they better stick that outfit in Xenoverse as an alt skin for Krillin

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Why'd he start shaving his head again?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Some Numbers posted:

He knows he looks better bald.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Some Numbers posted:

So he looks more like his Frieza Saga self. Though idk why they made Gohan look like a doofus in a tracksuit.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

He looks like a nerdy Yusuke Urameshi.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I have to say that the concept art of Gohan looks way more like an older Gohan than the actual in-show shot.]

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Hopefully Gohan gets the chance to do a squat pose at least once in this movie.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Genocyber posted:

He looks like a nerdy Yusuke Urameshi.

A nerdy Yusuke Urameshi dressed by Might Guy.

Also, Roshi is actually going to be doing something in this movie. :stare:

...Isn't he supposed to be weaker than Frieza's footsoldiers, though?

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Dec 27, 2014

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Blockhouse posted:

He looks like he de-aged twenty years

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Parrotine posted:

He looks like he de-aged twenty years

Yeah, the first thing I saw was the shot of him in his Gi and I thought I was looking at an original DB shot until I looked at the rest of the poster.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

ImpAtom posted:

Why does Krillin even need a hoverbike. He can fly across the world.
Semi-serious answer: so he can do his job as a police officer without attracting lots of fame/attention.

Basically, think Gohan dressing up as the Great Saiyaman, only with no less superhero playacting.:v:

He's probably a legitimately good police officer thanks to the whole super speed/immune to bullets/super senses thing.

E\/: Cause he wants to help people, and he's getting paid for doing something he'd probably do anyway for free?

fade5 fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Dec 27, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Can't his wife annually blackmail Satan to the tune of 10 million dollars

The gently caress does he need a job for

• Locked thread