Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schizoguy
Mar 1, 2002

I have so many things on my social calendar these days, it is difficult to know which you are making reference to, in particular.
I've never played Tash Kalar. I watched a bit of a Rahdo video, thought I had a decent enough handle on the game.

...am I supposed to memorize every single card in all of the decks? In the physical game, isn't there an option to play with two identical decks? Why is that not an option at BGA?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Madmarker posted:

NO. There are actually counters to that poo poo in magic. Decks at that power level exist in Legacy, but they are easily hated out. In Yugioh, there is little interplay between the decks, its only broken combo decks without any controls to stem the tide. Force of Will is often called the glue that holds legacy together, and I firmly believe that. It is a card that stops unfair strategies, like turn 1 or 2 combos while being relatively poor against fair decks (since it is inherent card disadvantage). Force of Will existing allows fair strategies (like Death and Taxes) to exist at high level in the metagame since they are quite good against it.

Fair isn't a thing, there's no such thing as "gaming with honor" or whatever. If a strategy exists there's nothing wrong with using it at a tournament level.

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.

Schizoguy posted:

I've never played Tash Kalar. I watched a bit of a Rahdo video, thought I had a decent enough handle on the game.

...am I supposed to memorize every single card in all of the decks? In the physical game, isn't there an option to play with two identical decks? Why is that not an option at BGA?
Red and blue are identical.

Asymmetrikon
Oct 30, 2009

I believe you're a big dork!

Countblanc posted:

Fair isn't a thing, there's no such thing as "gaming with honor" or whatever. If a strategy exists there's nothing wrong with using it at a tournament level.

That's not what 'fair' means in the context of Magic.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Countblanc posted:

"Fair" in this context is MtG terminology for decks that don't try to do anything spectacular. That doesn't necessarily make them worse; when people are trying to do things like combo kill you on turn 1 or 2, one of the best places to be is a heavily disruptive deck that kills with cheap, efficient creatures, and those are generally considered to be fair decks.

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

Rahdo's video of Strasbourg has me sold on it after buying Bruges recently. Has anyone tried it? I noticed it wasn't listed on coolstuffinc.com and is insanely expensive on Amazon.

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

Mediocrity: the standard of survival!

Impermanent posted:

For science, what was the dud board?

Butcher
Cache
City
Inn
Market Square
Merchant Ship
Secret Chamber
Soothsayer
Vault
Workshop

As far as my friend and I could tell, there was one deck there and whoever got it first won.

Morholt
Mar 18, 2006

Contrary to popular belief, tic-tac-toe isn't purely a game of chance.

Schizoguy posted:

I played it like four times and I remember most of the Imperial deck by now. It's not that difficult. At the back of the manual there's a bit of Vlaada's secret mnemonics that you might want to read (Riding based units are all L-shaped etc).

Trynant
Oct 7, 2010

The final spice...your tears <3
I got my non-boardgaming family to play five-player Space Alert with me. I started with the tutorial scenario, and today we finished (and won) an internal threats simulation.

I hope you understand how happy it makes me to have family people (that I like pretty okay) play loving Space Alert and enjoy it.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Trynant posted:

I got my non-boardgaming family to play five-player Space Alert with me. I started with the tutorial scenario, and today we finished (and won) an internal threats simulation.

I hope you understand how happy it makes me to have family people (that I like pretty okay) play loving Space Alert and enjoy it.

Yeah, I haven't gotten that brave. I'm pretty sure the idea of a boardgame having an audio soundtrack would make them laugh out loud.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
I got copies of Overthrone and Timestreams for Christmas. Does anyone have any experience with these games? They don't rank so hot on BGG but I would feel crappy returning them, unless they're real bad.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.
I've introduced various family to a bunch of games this year between Thanksgiving and Christmas. Easy classics like Love Letter, Hanabi, TTR, and have moved up a bit with Sheriff of Nottingham, Survive: Escape from Atlantis, and even got in a game of Istanbul and Castles of Mad King Ludwig with some of the younger family. It just took starting small, so that they were open to the more complex looking stuff. Definitely has made family time so much kore tolerable. :)

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Trynant posted:

I feel like people really overstate how intimidating Space Alert is or just aren't good at selling it or something. It's one of the only board games in my collection where I've had random, non-board gamers ask to join in in the middle of a game.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

Some Numbers posted:

Fixed that for you. It's a common misconception perpetuated by people who haven't paid attention to Magic in the last...well, ever?

I mean I played it for awhile 2-3 years ago. So maybe it has changed even though the cards haven't.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
Haha I love Mage Knight! My third game ever (two solos first) was teaching my brother and playing coop...it was so amazingly fun. I kept telling him we can stop anytime but he kept saying we should keep going. Ended up capturing the third and final city in a coop assault with almost no deed deck left in the last night!
Freaking love it. I need to start picking up the expansions.

E: When attacking a city/tower/keep I can siege kill a non fortified (so its not double fortified) enemy, right? I had a kinda...siege build going and it seemed ridiculous.

ChiTownEddie fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Dec 27, 2014

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib

PerniciousKnid posted:

Also, I'm disappointed I didn't wake up to six pages of Temporum impressions. :mad:

Hey, I didn't get it yesterday, so I specifically went our Boxing Day shopping to pick it up. I just played a 3 player game with the beginner layout, and it was a really close game. If I had one more turn, I would have won, but because I mismanaged my cards, I needed to spend one crucial turn drawing. I enjoyed the game, but I have no idea if I was even playing reasonably. For starters, I don't think anyone used the time 4 cards.

I'm definitely interested in playing again though.

Prairie Bus
Sep 22, 2006

My copy of the italian Mysterium came in. The game looks beautiful - very excited to try it tonight.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

Takkaryx posted:

That's my normal route. There's one or two people in my normal group that I'm pretty sure would latch onto it, but I can only think of about 3 people who would be even slightly interested in playing a strategy boardgame for several hours. I love TI and relish whenever I get to play it, but I'm missing that critical 6 players. My long con plan is to slowly introduce more and more competitive games into my collection to foster a sense of ruthlessness and cut-throat thinking to get people into it. :kheldragar:

My only experience with TI was playing with the economic race and hoarding all the gold after realizing there was a limited amount.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

I taught Space Alert to my wife and brother today and they both loved it. I've been trying to ease them into more complicated games since we've mostly just played Settlers and Dominion (both of which they love). The tutorial mission was a bit too dull for them but we jumped into an actual mission and had a great time. Lost twice due to hilarious misplays and won the last one on an easier difficulty level.

panascope fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Dec 27, 2014

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

OmegaGoo posted:

Butcher
Cache
City
Inn
Market Square
Merchant Ship
Secret Chamber
Soothsayer
Vault
Workshop

As far as my friend and I could tell, there was one deck there and whoever got it first won.

I can see three. Market Square/Butcher is the obvious one, but BM/Vault will probably have a good chance to race and Soothsayer/Inn can spoke either of them.

Clockwork Gadget
Oct 30, 2008

tick tock

Somberbrero posted:

I got copies of Overthrone and Timestreams for Christmas. Does anyone have any experience with these games? They don't rank so hot on BGG but I would feel crappy returning them, unless they're real bad.

The guys that make Timestreams are the same dudes that made that really bad Ten Commandments game we played back in college. For what that's worth.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

I am requesting opinions on Patchistory. Is there a decent amount of player interaction? Is war handled well? I recall hearing some good things earlier in the thread, but I'd like corroboration and the counsel of the hive mind.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

ellbent posted:

I managed to play five games of Dead of Winter with total strangers on Tabletop Simulator and had a really good time. One of the smallest things in it that could have gone so much worse is the dice rolling -- if I had to roll for every action as I did it I would blow my brains out just from the slowdown, but the way everyone rolls all at once lets me not only plan my turn in advance but guess (and/or be surprised by) the other players' turns. It's great. I've only done two scenarios but I'm definitely going to buy it for my shelf when I have the cash. Can't wait to see where the Crossroads games go from here because if they intend it to be a series this is a strong start.

Despite the bad rep this game has on here, I've also had nothing but good times with Dead of Winter and I think someone's got me it for Christmas.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

GrandpaPants posted:

I am requesting opinions on Patchistory. Is there a decent amount of player interaction? Is war handled well? I recall hearing some good things earlier in the thread, but I'd like corroboration and the counsel of the hive mind.

Played it a couple of times, enjoyed it. I liked the patching mechanic, though a friend found it really frustrating - I guess I didn't overanalyse where to patch my pieces as much or got luckier with the placement of seas. Interaction is limited and whilst the wars and conflicts do directly target other players, there's not actually a lot of incentive to make war unless you get very lucky. War is EXPENSIVE.

And I tended to WAY underestimate how much rock in particular is useful. The resource game is a tough one.

I'd recommend it as a 4x-y game that you can actually play in an evening.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

goodness posted:

I mean I played it for awhile 2-3 years ago. So maybe it has changed even though the cards haven't.

I suspect you had a local combo-heavy metagame; at the bigger tournaments of that time most decks weren't combo. Here are the top 8 decklists of the 3 Legacy GPs in 2012.

http://archive.wizards.com/Magic/Magazine/Article.aspx?x=mtg/daily/eventcoverage/gpgnt12/welcome#1
http://archive.wizards.com/Magic/Magazine/Article.aspx?x=mtg/daily/eventcoverage/gpatl12/welcome
http://archive.wizards.com/Magic/Magazine/Article.aspx?x=mtg/daily/eventcoverage/gpind12/welcome#1

I count 6 decks out of those 24 that can conceivably win on turn 3 or earlier there ; 1 Storm, 1 Show and Tell, 1 Elves, 1 Belcher, 1 High Tide, 1 Dredge.

The rest of the decks are almost all Canadian Threshold(RUG Tempo), Maverick(G/W midrange), or U/W Stoneforge(UW control), none of which can even theoretically kill before like turn 5.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

OmegaGoo posted:

Butcher
Cache
City
Inn
Market Square
Merchant Ship
Secret Chamber
Soothsayer
Vault
Workshop

I'd say that there are very few boards with 7 5's that are going to be interesting. Especially when you've got one of the worst cards in the game and Workshop in the mix (since Workshop is useless with that many 5's). Just looking at that board, I'd have suggested redrawing it before even attempting to play it.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
^^^this

Dominion is breakable if you don't pay any attention to what sets come up in a random set up.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Here's a cost breakdown of your kingdom as compared to the individual sets:

Honestly, anything over 4.1 and I'm looking at adding Colonies. Anything 4.25+; I'm definitely adding Colonies. Your kingdom is at 4.30.

Adding Colonies really allows the non-Vault engines in your Kingdom to get some breathing room.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

ChiTownEddie posted:

E: When attacking a city/tower/keep I can siege kill a non fortified (so its not double fortified) enemy, right? I had a kinda...siege build going and it seemed ridiculous.

That is correct. In fact, that's the entire distinction between siege and ranged.

Siege builds are really drat good in the original game. Horn of Wrath pre-nerf is probably the best card in the game.

Sistergodiva
Jan 3, 2006

I'm like you,
I have no shame.

Why has dead of winter been getting a bad rep? Saw previews of it a while ago, but forgot about it until the christmas gaming got going, seems like a fun co-op? Any reason I should reconsider?

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Sistergodiva posted:

Why has dead of winter been getting a bad rep? Saw previews of it a while ago, but forgot about it until the christmas gaming got going, seems like a fun co-op? Any reason I should reconsider?

Because the game is incredibly unbalanced, uncomfortably gruesome, wildly random, too long, and done way better by many games that came out before it (but the designers didn't play because they thought they knew better).

There are many ways to end up with unwinnable victory conditions. The game is absolutely not equipped to handle a midgame transition from 5v0 to 4v1. There is only a single worthwhile strategy the traitor player can execute, it's incredibly obvious, and it's ridiculously effective. There are also way too many trivial victory conditions in the same deck with the difficult ones. It has the bad kind of randomness, the kind where you make decisions with a certain plan in mind and then might get completely hosed over at random. The tone is all over the place-- between people loving on event cards and graphic descriptions of them blowing their own brains out, player characters include a dog in a cape and Bill Murray as a mall Santa. The art is not bad except for the parts where the characters don't have any physical anatomy. It's Zombie Game as gently caress.

AMooseDoesStuff
Dec 20, 2012

There's also a dice you roll often which has a 1/16 [or so] chance of immediately killing you.
BL hits the nail on the head though, it really does go on for waaay too long.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

AMooseDoesStuff posted:

There's also a dice you roll often which has a 1/16 chance of immediately killing you.

Nah, man.

Every time you move you roll a die that has a 1/8 chance of immediately killing you and starting a chain reaction of die rolls for everybody in the location you intended to end up at (which can be stopped by automatically killing somebody instead of taking a roll). This is independent of the other sides of the die, half of which have "nothing happens" results.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Serious question, is there any zombie game out there that's actually decently designed and fun to play? I know zombies are pretty well played-out these days but still, in the plethora of zombie-themed dice, card, and board games is there one that actually stands out as "if you want to shoot a bunch of zombies and don't want to play Left 4 Dead again, play this?"

Zombie #246
Apr 26, 2003

Murr rgghhh ahhrghhh fffff
City of the dead is a negotiation game that works really well and is rules light. There are cards that shoot zombies.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

GrandpaPants posted:

War is basically declare war one turn, go to war the next. You can burn a fairly rare resource called ore in order to power up your attack, and in later eras you need to burn some to get to war in the first place. Ore is also required to build pretty much everything including trade routes and useful structures on top of wastelands and seas. In the turn between, someone who didn't declare war can buy military tiles or shift workers to produce defense. You get 5/10/15 points for winning a war, based on the era - 3/6/9 if you won it as the defense. If you win by 5 or more (and this can be rare) you also steal 7 VP from your target. In addition to wars (which cost 1 politics and 2/3/4 food to start, and time depending on your transport capacity to declare) you can also spend 3 politics to threaten someone you're stronger than, and steal 2/4 VP or 3/5 money depending if you're up by 5 or more, or not.

The only problem with player interaction is that you can see how much any given person has produced in a given turn, but unless you're good at doing everyone's maths in your head, you have no idea how much they're hiding behind the screens. So you can end up picking the wrong target for war/threats and hand someone else the game.

Right, let me explain trade routes. You can spend 2 politics and 2 ore to build a one-way trade route from you to an opponent. You spend 1 politics and 2/3/4 food depending on era to put one of your workers on a trade route at space 0. One way trade routes go START - 2 COIN - 2 FOOD - ORE - 2 COIN - 2 FOOD - ORE - WAR?

Every turn you move every trade route a number of spaces, up to your transport capacity. You always have at least 1 for this purpose. You get whatever your traders have landed on as extra income. When your trader lands on war, you secretly choose war or peace with whoever you reached the end of a trade route with. If you both choose peace you can put down an alliance trade route, which goes START - 3 VP - 2 COIN - 3 VP - 2 FOOD - 3 VP - ORE - 3 VP - END, if you both agree to an alliance. You decide who comes at it from which direction.

In my first and so far only game I went for trade routes and got land tiles that gave me an extra of whatever the trade route landed on. In this way I had 5 trade routes going at the end of the game and 7 workers, 2 of which sat on the spaces to give me a trade bonus, the other 5 of which went out trading.

Glazius fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Dec 27, 2014

ThaShaneTrain
Jan 2, 2009

pure mindless vandalism
:smuggo:
Game haul!

Got:
Bang! The Dice Game which we did one play of and the jury is still out on it really. The group was a bunch of casual players and not much deduction took place just shooting people. Maybe this is how it is supposed to be? I've never played any of the versions of Bang!

Sellswords, which is really Triple Triad (a game you could play in FF8) no plays yet but I can say that the rulebook is oversized (like Grandma doesn't need her drat glasses large) and folds out like a map for some weird reason.

Brave Rats! is like playing two player Love Letter except it works. You each pick a card from your hand and the highest number wins unless a rule on the card says otherwise. It is easy, slightly meta thinky, a little deduction and very fast at 5min per game. I really like to bust it out play a round or two and then go back to whatever else you were doing.

Galaxy Trucker the only Vlaada I've ever played is Space Alert and I'm looking forward to giving this a try.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib

ThaShaneTrain posted:

Bang! The Dice Game which we did one play of and the jury is still out on it really. The group was a bunch of casual players and not much deduction took place just shooting people. Maybe this is how it is supposed to be? I've never played any of the versions of Bang!

That sounds pretty accurate. Sheriff shoots anyone that shoots them, deputy shoots anyone that shoots the sheriff, outlaws shoot the sheriff/deputy, and the renegade shoots anyone on the side doing better. Your roles are pretty much only hidden until your first turn.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
I also recently got the Resistance expansions. I know it's repetitive because I remember seeing special role-chat in the past thread, but I never had Avalon so I never paid much attention to the chat before, sooooo could I please get some opinions on what roles to stack on to Merlin/Assassin at various player counts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD
Did they really not bother to come up with a sci-fi name for Merlin?