Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

Josh Lyman posted:

In terms of pliers, does the essential basic toolbox include needle-nose, linesman, tongue and groove, and monkey? And a vise grip for good measure.

It seems diagonal pliers aren't necessary with linesman, and a slip joint is covered by tongue and groove + linesman.

If I had to make a choice, I would go with a slip joint instead of a linesman. Linesman pliers have poo poo for grip on bolts and nuts and there are a lot of times when you need to get at one and don't have room to get in there with a T&G/arc joint/channel lock pliers. Get a diagonal cutter for general snipping and a small bolt cutter for more serious chomping.

If you are working on cars, a long-reach pliers is a godsend for getting into areas that are too small to get your hand into. Out of curiosity, where are you from? I've never heard the term "tongue and groove" to describe that type of pliers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

asdf32
May 15, 2010

I lust for childrens' deaths. Ask me about how I don't care if my kids die.

Josh Lyman posted:

In terms of pliers, does the essential basic toolbox include needle-nose, linesman, tongue and groove, and monkey? And a vise grip for good measure.

It seems diagonal pliers aren't necessary with linesman, and a slip joint is covered by tongue and groove + linesman.

Basically yes. I'd include right angle needle nose instead of regular needle nose.

For the tongue and groove I have these milwaukee ones which have a nicer locking mechanism.

Vice grip are key if you're working alone and need a second hand on a bolt or something. The long nose ones may be more versitile:

Tekton right angle from amazon:

Actually screw it, here is a full post on what I've learned about basic tools. I like this stuff and haven't seen a lot of posts about it. So here is my full go everywhere tool bag:

Some of the stuff that I think are useful that you might not think of (because I didn't for a while)
-Good prybars and scrapers (The 14-1 putty knife is great)
-Headlamp (I also have a Joby Gorillatorch AA, magnetic light that's missing)
-Good scissors
-Right angle needle nose
-Good writing utensils

Some notes:
-Just added the Snappy Drill Bit Adapters to replace the drill bits in that kit. The bits 1) don't suck and 2) are replaceable. Way better than any other hex shank I've found.
-The Klein 11-1 screwdriver is by far the best in my opinion, the small husky one is the best small one I've found.
-The multimeter is a dealextreme special with a hinged cover/stand.
-The 4 large milwaukee tools are probably overkill. I'd probably downgrade the angled pliers/cutters if I were doing it over.
-Self fusing tape is good stuff (I also usually have blue masking, I've soured on duct tape which leaves too much residue)
-The clear hardware tube is great
-I love the milwaukee fastback utility knife
-The kreg multi-mark in the middle has a level on the back and is an upgrade from a regular level.
-Stuff that isn't unique is usually labeled "tool bag" so if I leave it on the bench it finds its way back (like the screwdrivers/markers etc)
-There should probably be a leatherman in here too, Home Depot is selling a couple of them for under $30

After posting this I went to home depot and picked this up. Milwaukee has a whole line of locking pliers/clamps which have an extra large adjustment screw which lets you torque them down after fastening. Hadn't seen it before, it's pretty good. This particular one skips the usual release lever which is also interesting.

asdf32 fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Dec 27, 2014

Tora! Tora! Tora!
Dec 28, 2008

Shake it baby

~Coxy posted:

Post hot wire cutter pics and the most DIYedest imgs you got for Christmas!

Wifey got me a Hitachi cordless sawzall. :)

Nice! I finally picked up a sawzall 8 months ago (not cordless tho') and it's been so handy so often.

My bro sent me one of those fancy push blocks:

Then I used Christmas money to justify picking up that Dewalt router kit I linked a few posts ago.

And then I was killing time last night and feeling like a loser since I didn't go visit relatives for Christmas and pulled the trigger on the Makita track saw that's been sitting in my shopping cart for the last 6 months. My wallet :gonk: It really is true that alcohol and power tools don't mix.

Sointenly
Sep 7, 2008
Good deal on ratcheting wrenches

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-Me...5b9aba8&cj=true

I have 3-4 drawers worth of regular combo wrenches and haven't touched them sense picking these up last year.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
Get a Stilson pipe wrench instead of a monkey wrench. Or at least in addition to.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

melon cat fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Mar 16, 2019

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Tora! Tora! Tora! posted:

My bro sent me one of those fancy push blocks:

Dummy question, what is it or what does it do?

Tora! Tora! Tora!
Dec 28, 2008

Shake it baby

Cakefool posted:

Dummy question, what is it or what does it do?

It's for the table saw (or router) so you can cut relatively small pieces of wood and still keep your hands away from the blade. Like so:

Supposedly it's the best thing since sliced bread but we'll see. For a piece of wood the size in this pic, I'd usually just use my hands and maybe a regular push stick. There was a lot of discussion about it in the WW thread.

melon cat posted:

I just got this Campbell Hausfeld 3 gal. Air Compressor for Christmas. Not quite the Makita I was planning on buying next month, but it'll do the job and i won't complain about free. But I'm brand new to this type of power tool.

What kind of tips do you guys having for the proper care of this air compressor that'll help me keep it ticking for as long as (safely) possible? And what brand would you recommend for the extra attachments (like blow gun for cleaning out electronics)?

I always make sure I drain the tank after use to prevent corrosion. And keep it lubricated but it looks like that's an oil free one?

Also, I had trouble finding quality attachments that weren't made in China junk. Wound up with a Husky set which is Ok.

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

Put a glide in your stride and a dip in your hip and come on up to the mothership.
Drain the water out of the tank, but leave some air pressure. You want the valves closed so the seats don't rust or get crap in them. Otherwise, don't worry about maintenance. The pump will give out before anything else.

Brand doesn't really matter for blowguns and accessories.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

oxbrain posted:

Drain the water out of the tank, but leave some air pressure. You want the valves closed so the seats don't rust or get crap in them. Otherwise, don't worry about maintenance. The pump will give out before anything else.

Brand doesn't really matter for blowguns and accessories.
How much air pressure do you recommend leaving in? I just broke the machine in (as per the user manual's instructions), and purged all of the air just to be safe before typing up that post. But I can see why having some pressure in would prevent moisture build-up.

melon cat fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Dec 26, 2014

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

Put a glide in your stride and a dip in your hip and come on up to the mothership.
It doesn't really matter, just some positive pressure. As long as it still hisses when you press the valve. Say 10-40 psi.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

oxbrain posted:

It doesn't really matter, just some positive pressure. As long as it still hisses when you press the valve. Say 10-40 psi.
Gotcha. And would you tighten the regulator, or leave it loosened (or maybe it doesn't matter?) when the air compressor's not in use?

RagingTaco
Oct 21, 2008

No thanks, I don't like eggs.
What?
Eggs are your favorite!
Okay, then give me lots of eggs.
Dropped off some chili at my dad's today and he hands me this old plane his dad had given him. I've been slowing diving back into woodworking so when he found it in his bench he though I might like it. I do, a lot, but I know very little about planes. It has to be old since it probably belonged to my great grandfather. It says "Bailey No 3" around the base of the knob. The only other marking are in front of the base of the handle and they read: MAR-25-02, AUG-19-02, APR-19-10. I can't wait to clean it up but if anyone can tell me a little more about this plane that would be greatly appreciated.

Some hilariously large photos (yay timg):

Update: My searching says it's a type 11-12, most likely a 12, made between 1910 and 1924.

RagingTaco fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Dec 27, 2014

Janus Owl
Jan 9, 2014

Home Depot is having a Christmas sale on a dw745 table saw. $225. Sale price is usually $299 retail $400 or something like that. Great deal since the fence is rack and pinion.

Neif
Jul 26, 2012

So I have a heap of raw brickwork to paint. Been doing it with a roller and brush for a day and half now and it's slow going, all the morter between bricks has to be gone over to properly coat it. Anyhow I'm thinking an investment in a spray gun is a good option to save on sore arms/hands and speed things up. I'm also going to paint the house one day so I'm looking at this right now at my local hardware place -

http://www.bunnings.com.au/wagner-flexio-995-spray-gun-wand_p1661969

It's pricier then I would have liked, but I'm wondering if it will do the job okay? Or could I get away with doing the job with a smaller model? My only other experience with power painting is with a $30 el cheapo sprayer that shot a jet of paint at my target ( chicken coop).

uwaeve
Oct 21, 2010

focus this time so i don't have to keep telling you idiots what happened
Lipstick Apathy
Checking in to say the Milwaukee hoodie is pretty boss. Not sure if it's worth the cost, but the wife loves it, she's always freezing. The inside of the sleeves is super soft fleecy sweatshirt material, and the body is lined with waffle-type thermal underwear material. All in all seems like an OK-built sweatshirt.

Only the upper chest and back is heated, and we noticed that if it's baggy/big on you and it's the top layer, you're not going to feel much heat. This is something I'd buy smallish or wear something over so it is tight on your chest. I'd say buy a size down. The battery also jams into you a bit in a bucket car seat, but in normal seats it's pretty easy to move around a little bit. Standing up you don't notice it at all. You can also get them as standalone hoodie if you have a bunch of chargers and batteries.

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005

RagingTaco posted:

Dropped off some chili at my dad's today and he hands me this old plane his dad had given him. I've been slowing diving back into woodworking so when he found it in his bench he though I might like it. I do, a lot, but I know very little about planes. It has to be old since it probably belonged to my great grandfather. It says "Bailey No 3" around the base of the knob. The only other marking are in front of the base of the handle and they read: MAR-25-02, AUG-19-02, APR-19-10. I can't wait to clean it up but if anyone can tell me a little more about this plane that would be greatly appreciated.

Update: My searching says it's a type 11-12, most likely a 12, made between 1910 and 1924.

You'd probably get more answers in the woodworking thread since this is specifically a woodworking tool.

With the groves on the bottom it's a No 3C (C for corrugated). The purpose and effectiveness of the corrugation is mildly controversial. The No 3 is a smoother which is an inch shorter, a 1/4 inch narrower and almost 3/4 lb lighter than the No 4. The Blood and Gore site gives a lot more detail: http://www.supertool.com/StanleyBG/stan1.htm#num3

It looks like there isn't a whole lot of blade left but what's still there should last for years of light use. The tote appears to have a crack that's probably glueable. The front knob looks like it might also have a crack. Other than that it should clean up real nice with a little sandpaper and elbow grease.

Dragyn
Jan 23, 2007

Please Sam, don't use the word 'acumen' again.
This is probably the closest thing I can find to a "should I buy this?" thread.

We're looking for a small single-stage snow blower for our condo association. We're in southeastern MA and we have to clear three small driveways and the sidewalks. This includes the slushy crap that the plows pile up at the end of the drives. The entry level single-stage ones are pretty wimpy, but going up to the next tier give me something like this, which I'm considering right now.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Toro-Power-Clear-721-R-21-in-Single-Stage-Gas-Snow-Blower-38741/205380012?N=5yc1vZbxc5Z1z0zb9x

Is there something in particular I should be looking for, or general recommendations? The budget is $500, but there's probably some wiggle in there.

uwaeve
Oct 21, 2010

focus this time so i don't have to keep telling you idiots what happened
Lipstick Apathy

Dragyn posted:

We're looking for a small single-stage snow blower for our condo association. We're in southeastern MA and we have to clear three small driveways and the sidewalks. This includes the slushy crap that the plows pile up at the end of the drives. The entry level single-stage ones are pretty wimpy, but going up to the next tier give me something like this, which I'm considering right now.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Toro-Power-Clear-721-R-21-in-Single-Stage-Gas-Snow-Blower-38741/205380012?N=5yc1vZbxc5Z1z0zb9x

Is there something in particular I should be looking for, or general recommendations? The budget is $500, but there's probably some wiggle in there.

I'm only marginally sure of this, but I don't believe a single-stage machine is going to touch the concrete berm the plows deposit in MA in a nominal or higher storm. Not saying you're out of luck, just be aware you'll probably have some shoveling to do as well if you're sticking with single-stage. The plow crap is where my snowblower makes me glad I overbought, basically. I'm glad to be corrected if someone's experience is that they breeze through the stuff but my 10 hp 2-stage can struggle on the lowest speed. I always assumed people with single-stage just lived with doing the 90% (by area) with the snowblower and the other 90% (by weight) with a shovel.

e: also to be fair I'm close to the NH border, you may get significantly less snow southerly and coastally.

uwaeve fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Dec 29, 2014

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

If you can drop an extra $100 (actually just $40), you can get a 2-stage like this: http://www.lowes.com/pd_189194-270-31AS62N2711_4294612507%2B4294764166__?productId=3255746&Ns=p_product_qty_sales_dollar|1&pl=1¤tURL=%3FNs%3Dp_product_qty_sales_dollar%7C1&facetInfo=Two-stage

I HIGHLY recommend it. Single stage blowers are crap. Two-stage is waaaaay better, and will actually drive itself as well, which will save a TON of work. Also, find yourself a 10% coupon and you can get it for only $540 which is only marginally over your stated budget. If I were you, and they were telling me ABSOLUTELY NO WAY OVER $500 and I was going to be the one driving the mower, I wouldn't hesitant even a moment to drop the extra $40 myself to get a huuuuuuuuuuge upgrade.

I realize it's over your budget, but if you get a single stage, you're just going to end up either shoveling by hand anyhow, or spending even more money buying a proper blower later.

e: I'm in Erie, PA, which has had a large amount of snowfall the last few years. I may be biased. Still, though, poster above me is dead on: single stage will get completely halted by a plow berm or even by a moderately wind-packed bank or a couple snow/thaw/snow/thaw cycles that make that nice crust on top.

Also, this is absolutely the right place to ask for recommendations. :)

Anubis posted:

How the hell have we functioned this long without a general tool recommendation/review/bragging thread?

Bad Munki fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Dec 29, 2014

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
I got those cool Howard Leight active noise cancelling earphones with the aux jack. Will be great for listening to music while wearing ear protection and running loud stuff.

And also a teeny palm sander and angle grinder. I can't wait to find something that needs sanding or angle grinding.

canyoneer fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Dec 29, 2014

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Oh that reminds me, I got a little spindle sander for Christmas:

Need to make a spot in the shop for it, but it'll be a nice addition.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

uwaeve posted:

The battery also jams into you a bit in a bucket car seat, but in normal seats it's pretty easy to move around a little bit. Standing up you don't notice it at all.

Pair of protips:
1. The reason the battery pocket is two sections is so you can have it stored vertical or horizontal.

2. Take the battery and receptacle out and toss em in your bag or glovebox or whatever if you're not going to need them for a day or two but you want to wear the hoodie, lets you not worry about bumping yourself on them and it weighs less.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

canyoneer posted:

I got those cool Howard Leight active noise cancelling earphones with the aux jack. Will be great for listening to music while wearing ear protection and running loud stuff.

Hate to be a downer but they aren't very good at all for listing to stuff while working with things that make noise.
I gave up on them and went back to putting in earbuds underneath regular earpro, which as a plus also has a higher NRR.

Now what they are good for is people talking to you while there's intermittent loud noise.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Dragyn posted:

Words.

DO NOT GET A SINGLE STAGE
Do you live in maryland where you need to clear 3" of snow once or twice a year?

Yes: single stage is fine have at it
No: go with 2 stage.

You will not save your back trying to shove a single stage into snow that's deep.. you will.noy efficiently be moving any snow deeper than 3-6 inches. And you def won't be pushing past the snow (structural concrete) that the plow leaves on the apron.

Source:im from buffalo and know that single stage snow blowers are a joke and mostly useless when they are really needed.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Truth. I've NEVER been happy any time I've used a single-stage. And pretty much every time, about 20 minutes into the job, I chucked the thing back in the truck and did the rest with a shovel. The take-away there being "if you can do it with a single-stage, you can do it with a shovel, and probably faster and with less effort."

Dragyn posted:

The budget is $500, but there's probably some wiggle in there.

That right there absolutely screams "wiggle $40 and get a two-stage at Lowe's with a 10% coupon." The low-end two-stage will outstrip the high-end single-stage by miles.

tater_salad posted:

Source:im from buffalo
What up lake Erie snow buddy :negative::hf::negative:

Bad Munki fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Dec 30, 2014

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

canyoneer posted:

And also a teeny palm sander and angle grinder. I can't wait to find something that needs sanding or angle grinding.

These Howard Leights? They aren't really active noise canceling, the mics just cut out when the noise gets above a certain DB level. I use them while shooting, in combination with earplugs, and they're great in that you can amplify the sound to hear better through the plugs, and offer better hearing protection than just plugs or muffs alone.

They're great for shooting, but as said before, I almost always go with conventional muffs and earbuds if I want to listen to something while mowing the lawn or using other loud tools.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...
So my dad got me a DeWalt 10" Miter Saw as a surprise Christmas Gift: http://www.homedepot.com/p/DEWALT-15-Amp-10-in-Compound-Miter-Saw-DW713/100672239?N=5yc1vZc2d7

It had a gift receipt because he wasn't 100% sure that was what I wanted/needed. I'm thrilled with the idea of it in general and it's basically exactly what I needed, but given that I could use it as credit towards something else I am now wondering if I would benefit from upgrading to a sliding tool like this: http://www.homedepot.com/p/DEWALT-10-in-254-mm-blade-Double-Bevel-Sliding-Compound-Miter-Saw-DW717/202220984

My saw situation is currently zero (I've got a cordless recip saw and a hand saw+miter box). I have decent but limited shop space so I'd like to multi-task tools as much as I can. I was thinking the extra capacity for the slider would really stretch the versatility of that one tool, but I've also noticed that the listed cut thickness for the non-slider (6") is greater than the slider (4.5") -- probably not a huge deal? Are there any other advantages over getting the smaller/simpler tool, and either double-cutting or buying a circular saw for wider cuts? Or is there basically zero regret to upgrading here (aside from cash).

Sointenly
Sep 7, 2008

Hubis posted:

Are there any other advantages over getting the smaller/simpler tool, and either double-cutting or buying a circular saw for wider cuts? Or is there basically zero regret to upgrading here (aside from cash).

Why not just max out and go with a 12" slider? Home Depot has a nice Dewalt for $399 right now. Sure, it's probably more saw than you need for most cuts, but it's also nice to be able to cross cut wide boards if you ever need to.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

Hubis posted:

So my dad got me a DeWalt 10" Miter Saw as a surprise Christmas Gift: http://www.homedepot.com/p/DEWALT-15-Amp-10-in-Compound-Miter-Saw-DW713/100672239?N=5yc1vZc2d7

It had a gift receipt because he wasn't 100% sure that was what I wanted/needed. I'm thrilled with the idea of it in general and it's basically exactly what I needed, but given that I could use it as credit towards something else I am now wondering if I would benefit from upgrading to a sliding tool like this: http://www.homedepot.com/p/DEWALT-10-in-254-mm-blade-Double-Bevel-Sliding-Compound-Miter-Saw-DW717/202220984

My saw situation is currently zero (I've got a cordless recip saw and a hand saw+miter box). I have decent but limited shop space so I'd like to multi-task tools as much as I can. I was thinking the extra capacity for the slider would really stretch the versatility of that one tool, but I've also noticed that the listed cut thickness for the non-slider (6") is greater than the slider (4.5") -- probably not a huge deal? Are there any other advantages over getting the smaller/simpler tool, and either double-cutting or buying a circular saw for wider cuts? Or is there basically zero regret to upgrading here (aside from cash).

I found the 12" Slider to be just too big for my workspace. It takes up just over 40" from front to back and that's not including the 10" dust bag. 95% of what I want to do could be done on a 10" fixed.

MrPete
May 17, 2007
I've read the argument that a cheap slider is worse than a cheap fixed as the slider just won't be as accurate due to cheaping out on the sliding mechanism.

As an aside, I'd only recommend a 12" saw if it's going to mostly be in one place all the time.

I have the 12" bosch glide saw and while I love it, at close to 40kg it is a massive awkward pain in my arse to move anywhere.

Just something to keep in mind

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
I swear I remember someone posting a "sliding" miter saw in this thread that didn't have a true sliding mechanism, but rather folding arm mechanism to the side instead so that you could operate such a saw against a wall in theory. I want to say it was a Bosch, but don't quote me on that.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

kid sinister posted:

I swear I remember someone posting a "sliding" miter saw in this thread that didn't have a true sliding mechanism, but rather folding arm mechanism to the side instead so that you could operate such a saw against a wall in theory. I want to say it was a Bosch, but don't quote me on that.

It is, it's also $600. Like MrPete said, a fixed 12" will suite most needs.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Anyone have the Hitachi 10" CMS?
http://smile.amazon.com/Hitachi-C10...pound+miter+saw

I'm thinking of selling off my older saws and buying the Hitachi. I don't think the laser is worth an extra $50. Seems to be a well regarded saw.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

wormil posted:

I'm thinking of selling off my older saws and buying the Hitachi. I don't think the laser is worth an extra $50. Seems to be a well regarded saw.

Wow that's cheap. I've seen a few, but never used one myself. I'm still probably going to buy a Makita 12" just because I bleed blue.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

the spyder posted:

Wow that's cheap. I've seen a few, but never used one myself. I'm still probably going to buy a Makita 12" just because I bleed blue.

Lowes has it on clearance so they are probably coming out with a new model or discontinuing the non-laser version.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I have that hitachi and it seems good, but I'm very much a light user and it's the only miter saw I've ever used.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

MrPete posted:

I've read the argument that a cheap slider is worse than a cheap fixed as the slider just won't be as accurate due to cheaping out on the sliding mechanism.

That's basically my main concern, but I am guessing that the $450 DeWalt is probably past the "cheap quality" threshold.

I realized that what I am really wondering is:
1) how many cuts am I going to be making that are wider than 2"x6", but 12" or smaller?
2) are they cuts I can't just use a circular saw for?
3) will I end up needing the circular saw anyways?

asdf32
May 15, 2010

I lust for childrens' deaths. Ask me about how I don't care if my kids die.

Hubis posted:

I don't think investing in a single saw is your best bet. With limited space and budget id want a small miter and a small table saw rather than a really good version of either (and/or a circular saw). Don't underedtimate the value of having the right tool and a sliding miter is no substitute for a table.

That said a sliding miter is a great tool. I go over the limit of my 10" all the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

Australia: 131114
Canada: 18662773553
Germany: 08001810771
India: 8888817666
Japan: 810352869090
Russia: 0078202577577
UK: 08457909090
US: 1-800-273-8255

wormil posted:

I've had this saw for a couple years and I'm pretty happy with it. It's accurate. I wish I would have gotten a slider though for the extra capacity. The hold down thing that comes with it is a joke and a complete design flaw. If you try to use the hold down you can't pull the saw all the way down to make a cut because the rod on the hold down hits the motor.