Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

COOL CORN posted:

Gotcha. I was curious if the $11 TK was worth buying over the $100 AE:TK :)

Meh guess I'll stick to vassal. I don't get how TK can cost over 100 and USE is only like 40.
One of them isn't published by GMT and also has a lot more counters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Tekopo posted:

One of them isn't published by GMT and also has a lot more counters.

Also three card decks.

Bullbar
Apr 18, 2007

The Aristocrats!
Are there any (good) games set during the Warring States period of China?

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
Mark Herman is doing one, IIRC. Too early to have announced anything of note.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Lichtenstein posted:

Mark Herman is doing one, IIRC. Too early to have announced anything of note.

Holy poo poo. Awesome.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

CNN Sports Ticker posted:

Dynasty Warriors

orphean
Apr 27, 2007

beep boop bitches
my monads are fully functional

CNN Sports Ticker posted:

Unless you read Japanese, Korean, or Mandarin there is basically nothing for the tabletop as far as I know. If you do read any of those then there a quite a few!

Videogame wise you could check out the Romance of the Three Kingdoms series. It's not really a 'wargame' but it's more strategic than something like Dynasty Warriors :v:

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

There's a game recently released called Three Kingdoms, but I don't think it's a wargame.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Among other games, I got Reds! and Unconditional Surrender for Christmas. I've been playing through USE on VASSAL, so it'll be nice to actually get the counters on the table.

Well... one half of the map at a time, until I get a bigger table. :negative:

Also got some Paypal money so I just put in an order for Fields of Fire. Since, you know, I enjoy banging my head against a wall over understanding rules. It just looks like such a good game engine :(

Obfuscation
Jan 1, 2008
Good luck to you, I know you believe in hell

COOL CORN posted:

Also got some Paypal money so I just put in an order for Fields of Fire. Since, you know, I enjoy banging my head against a wall over understanding rules. It just looks like such a good game engine :(

It might be - we'll just never know because the rules are undecipherable to mere mortals

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
who else is corner clipping? also, there has to be a better way to do this than using fingernail clippers.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

andrew smash posted:

who else is corner clipping? also, there has to be a better way to do this than using fingernail clippers.
Buy a 2mm corner cutter from Oregon Lamination.

EDIT: Also, where did you buy FoF from COOL CORN?

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Tekopo posted:

Buy a 2mm corner cutter from Oregon Lamination.

Does this size work for the small counters too like ASL/MMP games, and USE?

Tekopo posted:

EDIT: Also, where did you buy FoF from COOL CORN?

A guy on the BGG market. It's the first edition, but he says he only played half of the first mission before giving up, so most counters aren't even punched, and I figure I can get the 2nd edition rules online so that hopefully they're at least readable by humans.

Trynant
Oct 7, 2010

The final spice...your tears <3
I got the 2mm corner cutters as well; my only gripe is that the grip on them requires a fairly firm hand action (but thankfully less cramping than fingernail clippers). That and sometimes

COOL CORN posted:

Does this size work for the small counters too like ASL/MMP games, and USE?

1/2" counters (i.e. ASL types) can sometimes get a bad cut if you don't position it in the cutter correctly. Make sure to hold the cutter in such a way that you see what the cutter is clipping and don't accidentally cut along the side of the counter.

Otherwise these corner cutters are pretty legit; if slightly slower than fingernail clippers*

*fingernail clippers will probably damage your wrist like mine did, however.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

AFAIR there is little to no difference between 1st and 2nd ed FoF rules. Like, a few example images were added and that's it.

As an aside, I'm gonna do a retarded thing in near future and try to play FoF soon with my girlfriend. See, I've got a bit of a problem boardgaming with her, as after a lifetime of curbstomping her younger brother she's a very, very sore loser (thankfully after she calms down she's able to laugh at her inner five-year-old). Now, she really likes war movies/fiction so I thought it might be cool to semi-coop it, with her giving general orders and me handling specific rules at all levels above the basic "what the hell am I looking at" and helping to avoid major blunders. Hopefully it'll be a chance to generate few cool war stories and sperg and poke fun at the hobby I love so much. Wehrmacht are loving clowns anyway, if you stick to the tried-and-true American way of dropping down artillery on every shrub that looks funny. :911:

Let's just hope we don't get to the Heartbreak Ridge.

PS. It never ceases me to amaze me how this game both does utter brilliance in clever abstracting, and simultaneously gets bogged down in most chromy minutiae.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

COOL CORN posted:

A guy on the BGG market. It's the first edition, but he says he only played half of the first mission before giving up, so most counters aren't even punched, and I figure I can get the 2nd edition rules online so that hopefully they're at least readable by humans.
Be sure to tell us if you figure out how to move enemy snipers. I had the developer answer in a thread in BGG and even then I couldn't make sense of it.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

Fat Samurai posted:

Be sure to tell us if you figure out how to move enemy snipers. I had the developer answer in a thread in BGG and even then I couldn't make sense of it.

He's not the developer. :ssh:

While we have to wait for Ben's answer, I've got a feeling the snipers are meant to vanish like the other units, and that Ben forgot that the act of removing them is baked into the activity hierarchy (not just being a reminder) rather than stated out somewhere in rules. This assumption is made on the fact otherwise few other things kinda break:

all ever written about sniper targetting posted:

If no targets exist on the target card the sniper will engage the closest friendly occupied card in its LOS. If multiple potential targets exist, engage the one with the most Steps. If there are still multiple targets possible, determine the new target randomly.

If a Sniper no longer has any eligible targets, leave it in place until another target appears.

(...)

If a vehicle moves into a card that is being targeted by a Sniper, the vehicle is subject only to the S VOF from the Sniper, not from the H (the H only affects the specific target). However, if a vehicle is ON a card when a Sniper is choosing a target, that vehicle is part of the target selection process and, if selected, will then be subject to the H VOF from the Sniper.

Depending on the interpretation of the word "eligible" these paragraphs could mean that a sniper that remains out of LOS keeps shooting at the original card, one that he doesn't see anymore - and the wording feels that way for me, what with reinforcing that sniper changes targets only in some particular conditions.

Moreover, LAT and pinned teams that fell back out of LOS (also everyone in offensive scenarios, but that actually could be intended) would never ever vanish, just gently caress around until they rally and obtain the right to disappear.

It's all gut feeling I suppose, but this is the last game in existence where one could stick to the letter of the rulebook.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
:stare:

What did I get myself into

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It is the single best conflict simulator, the only one able to simulate PTSD.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...
Any war games you guys could recommend as a good deal from Cool Stuff's current sale? Seems like a lot of hex stuff is up but I don't know what's any good

Trynant
Oct 7, 2010

The final spice...your tears <3

Dre2Dee2 posted:

Any war games you guys could recommend as a good deal from Cool Stuff's current sale? Seems like a lot of hex stuff is up but I don't know what's any good

Race to the Rhine, ASL Starter Kit 1, Steel Wolves (?), and holy gently caress Roads & Boats is on sale.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Lichtenstein posted:

He's not the developer. :ssh:

Another Ben, then :v:

My problem was rather what to do once the sniper was revealed. He's not supposed to move and go back to hiding, or at least the rules don't state so IIRC. That means that as soon as one of your units get into his LoS he has to retreat again, because LoS is reciprocal and your unit can see the sniper. So in order to make a revealed sniper a relevant threat you have to either:

• Move the sniper but still place a VoF counter in the friendly unit, even if the sniper's movement breaks LoS (which usually does)
  • Hide the sniper after each move.

And I can't find anything in the rules about this.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

As I've said, I'm fairly sure he should turn into PC Marker when out of LOS, as other units do, which got lost in lovely rulebook wording. So he's basically out of the game after spotting, but it may take few turns for him to GTFO because
A) Realism
B) Chance to kill the fucker on the run and feel better about yourself

I encourage you to play that way and protect your sanity for as long as it takes to get an official answer.

Lichtenstein fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Dec 28, 2014

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Oh, I thought you were talking about retreating by leaving the map. That makes sense.

Bullbar
Apr 18, 2007

The Aristocrats!
Five hours of play later, we're at the end of day two of Guns of Gettysburg. First game ever and I'm really loving it.

I won as Union in the end, although it seemed super close. I'm also certain we made A Lot Of Mistakes.

Bullbar fucked around with this message at 10:17 on Dec 28, 2014

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
Second playthrough of Fire in the Lake, with me and my brother again as ARVN and US, while two guys who didn't take part in the original one sat across the table.

Young Turks were free that night.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

I really need to play as the US one of these days, because so far I've only gone for NVA -> VC -> VC. How do you deal with young Turks as the US? It seems to be a coup that really incites the ARVN to go for broke and say 'gently caress the US' and it seems to be an important part of a winning strategy on part of the ARVN. What factions have you had a chance to try out? Which one do you think is the most interesting one?

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
I played another solo game the other night - it's really easy to explode NVA control in the pre-coup turn if you play your cards right.

I really want to pick up AA/CL/ADP, but gently caress out of print prices :( CL I can find for around ~50 every now and then, that might be fun solo since it's the smallest of the bunch.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Cuba Libre is the one game I cannot wait to play. God drat this reprint business.

(I also don't wanna buy it used for way too much money if I could just man up and wait.)

As an aside, war games have made me pick up more history books recently than I have in the past decade. The Cuban Revolution especially. Whoda thunk it that Castro was the moderate one.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

We should get another game of Cuba Libre up as a PbP, it's pretty easy to run if you use Vassal and screenshots + you don't need to hide information or use PMs. Any interest? I will probably finish running NT first though.

EDIT: Or alternatively, I run an LP of Fire in the Lake using a formula slightly changed from the one I used for the CL LP, with the idea that I have one player from TG that knows the game to be faction leader and that I can rely on giving orders, while allowing viewers to 'sign up' for factions, each with their own google doc.

Tekopo fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Dec 29, 2014

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Yeah, I'm down. I'm already up to date on the rules, so whenever it happens is fine. Take your time with Napoleons Triumph, I need to learn the art of patience.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
I'm up for whatever. I know COIN rules, ain't no thing.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl
Why do you tempt me, Tekopo?

I don't know FitL specifically very well, but I know COIN. Put me on the ground floor.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

I'd like to do FITL, I've only played it a little but I'm familiar with COIN

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013

Gutter Owl posted:

Why do you tempt me, Tekopo?

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
I'm always down for some Vietnam.

Thus far I only got to play ARVN twice, but it's really tense. I think the best way to deal with the Young Turks as the US is to step up the commitment, although it's not always an option, and make sure that safe locations at active support are simply overwhelmed by your cubes. If the ARVN wants them back, they'll have to abandon lots of ground to the NVA and VC, and it's they who lose points on COIN control, after all. If the locals want to sabotage support at unsafe locations, or, even better, secure some more areas to farm Patronage out there, well, let them be your guest. Worst case scenario, Train removes Patronage pretty much as fast as Govern gains it, and you can do it as LimOp.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...
I will play any COIN game, let's roll :clint:

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
I'm looking for a good hex/counter game that deals with the WW2 Pacific theater and also includes the naval/air aspects.

Annnnnnd doesn't have cards.

Empire of the Sun is THIS CLOSE to being exactly what I'm looking for, but the CDG aspect of it makes it not very soloable.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
Have you tried Fire in the Sky!?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Tevery Best posted:

Have you tried Fire in the Sky!?

I've seen it, but it's a lot goofier in how the mechanisms work than EotS. The War in the Pacific is just really really hard to make a good game of, and the CDG aspect is part of what makes EotS managable.