Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
oneof27
May 27, 2007
DSMtalker
It is a mystery. I've tried all I can. There's nothing actually wrong with my laptop. And most of these are games I'e played before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wayback
Aug 16, 2004

I'm made of metal
My circuits gleam
I am perpetual
I keep the country clean
Just got SoM at $19 from G2A, so wanted to say it worked safe for me too. Now for some reasons Steam is telling me it will take 3 days to install. ha.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

After much deliberating I have found the optimal way of tagging games.

Hellburger99
Jan 24, 2006

"I don't like that mooch...
or her pooch!
"

Paradoxish posted:

Yeah, I absolutely loved SoM and I'd recommend it in a heartbeat (especially at under $30), but this is entirely true. The game is pretty easy on the whole and you don't get to see the really interesting stuff unless you purposefully limit yourself and make it happen. The coolest things that happened in my game mostly happened because I put myself in ridiculous situations where I had to run, or because I purposefully let an Orc that I liked get away a bunch of times. Even high-level captains never get all that scary.

To anyone interested in Shadow of Mordor: Shadow of Mordor really shines if you just play it as an orc politics simulator and pit orcs against each other constantly. I found the story to be surprisingly alright, considering all the trailers made it look like it was going to take a huge dump on the source material, but the story itself is better seen as a distraction to orc murder/promotion.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

oneof27 posted:

So today I sit down to indulge in my post-Christmas game playing binge with a couple new purchases.
Everything is minimizing itself to desktop.
Black Flag
Skyrim
New Vegas
X-Com
I can Alt-Tab back into the game, but it does the same thing after a minute or two. It's very frustrating.

My only guess that this is being caused by malware or a reaction to malware by any software you might be using. Trying scanning I guess?

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
I think I would have liked Shadow of Mordor a lot more if Mordor was filled with evil humans/bandits/etc instead of Uruks. Seems like it would have been a lot better of a genocide simulator that way.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Everblight posted:

I'm curious if you guys use the sorting options much. I've always been disappointed in trying to sort by genre (Is SpeedRunners racing? Or platforming?) and putting everything in every category it applies to is pointless. Besides, I don't pick what to play by genre, but by event that prompted playing - score attack/rogue delve, multiplayer, etc.

What do ya'll do?

Considering changing Racing to "car bullshit".

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
Garbage I've finished
Garbage I'm currently playing
Garbage I've yet to play
Garbage I don't want to play
Garbage I don't want to figure out if I want to play
Garbage that doesn't have an end
Garbage that is all multiplayer
Garbage that will run on the laptop

Sorting is pretty useful now that it has multiple categories.

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012

Thank god for categories.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
So is nuuvem reputable? I see it listed on isthereanydeal, but it looks like it's Portuguese and in some other currency? They have Revengeance for just under $5 which is well within my ideal impulse buy range. Just wondering if anyone has dealt with them at all and if they give US steam keys and all that.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Stan Taylor posted:

So is nuuvem reputable? I see it listed on isthereanydeal, but it looks like it's Portuguese and in some other currency?

:lol:

Yes. It's the Brazilian equivalent of Greenmangaming or Gamersgate.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

GreatGreen posted:

I think I would have liked Shadow of Mordor a lot more if Mordor was filled with evil humans/bandits/etc instead of Uruks. Seems like it would have been a lot better of a genocide simulator that way.

The Uruks totally make it for me, for a few reasons:
1. They have get to have an appropriately video game-y society centered around violence, where there aren't "civilians" that will be handled in a poor, immersion-breaking way(because handling peaceful society in an action video game is loving hard).
2. They look rad.
3. They have a lot of personality and really come across well as Peter Jackson's Orcs; generic Uruks have much more personality than generic bandits.
4. gently caress Orcs. gently caress Orcs: The Video Game is just a better, more feel-good game concept than gently caress Everyone: The Genocide Story.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Everblight posted:

sorting options

I've tried doing genres as well as played/unplayed/bundle junk I'll never touch, but there was way too much crossover, and I hated having games in multiple categories. The only one I use now is "Couch Games" for games that:

a: are installed
b: have full controller support and
c: are actually playable from ten feet away.

CSM
Jan 29, 2014

56th Motorized Infantry 'Mariupol' Brigade
Seh' die Welt in Trummern liegen

Kin posted:

I know where you're coming from. I think a lot of the other "big" games for this time of year, like you said, have been pretty mediocre and when combined with the later release schedule to avoid having to cater to steam/seasonal sales then it just makes the whole thing seem meh. It's the slow lumbering decline of the sales caused by fuckers at the top releasing highly marketed poo poo with as little a discount as possible combined with steam now using the dailies as basically a platform to promote anything that's "newish". This is why we've only got stuff at 25% off showing up (ubishit) in a daily slot that could be given to a multitude of really awesome indie games or older games that would sell like hotcakes if they gave a 75%-80% daily discount to them.

edit: Basically, what i'm saying is that steam should have stuck to the premise that dailes had deep deep discounts and if you weren't willing to cut the prices of your games to get there, then you'd lose out on the top marketing spot for one of the highest traffic pages on the internet at this time of year

At the same time, there's plenty of games that many people might not have yet that would really benefit from having a daily spot. From your command and conquers, to your Bastions or take your pick of telltale/lego games. Never midn the umpteen indie games that would make money hand over fist.
Lol if you think big AAA games were ever 75% off in their first year of release.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

CSM posted:

Lol if you think big AAA games were ever 75% off in their first year of release.

Well of course not, they all come out "for christmas". Although this year there have been some like 40 or 50 percents off on stuff like Unity I think.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
Boredom at work + remote desktop to my personal computer at home really lets me get in touch with my inner autist.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Dec 27, 2014

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

getting some serious tvtropes vibes here

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

woah hey Dominions 4 is 75% off until the switch tonight. I have no idea why since I don't see it or Dominions 3 in any of the sales but there we go.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Awesome! posted:

woah hey Dominions 4 is 75% off until the switch tonight. I have no idea why since I don't see it or Dominions 3 in any of the sales but there we go.

It was a flash sale (they last 24 hours, but only get 12 hours of front-page time). Dom4 is better anyway.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Hog Inspector posted:

getting some serious tvtropes vibes here

This Troper doesn't organize his games because he Took A Level In Badass and can actually handle the chaos now.

(I'm sorry for nothing)

(I don't organize poo poo for real tho. Don't really see the point because I'd just end up opening all tabs anyway and end up playing Binding of Isaac or Pinball FX2 nowadays for the umpteenth time)

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
I just go to the Steam library and then i look at the list and pick the game i want to play. If i want a specific one i just go to the place in the alphabet in the list that it belongs to and find it. It's not that hard.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
So, how's Thief 2014? I mean, I know it's supposed to be worse than the other entries in the series, but is it worthwhile enough at $7.50, if I'm mostly just after a stealth game to go through? Or is it like Hitman Absolution, where you're railroaded a lot more and it's more focused on 'action' rather than stealth?

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Major Isoor posted:

So, how's Thief 2014? I mean, I know it's supposed to be worse than the other entries in the series, but is it worthwhile enough at $7.50, if I'm mostly just after a stealth game to go through? Or is it like Hitman Absolution, where you're railroaded a lot more and it's more focused on 'action' rather than stealth?

It's a stealth game with a broken sound engine and broken AI and boring level design, most of which are very linear.

It's pretty, though.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Lemon Curdistan posted:

It's a stealth game with a broken sound engine and broken AI and boring level design, most of which are very linear.

It's pretty, though.

...a broken sound engine? How did they manage that - and in what way? (like, will someone speaking a mile away be as loud as they were speaking right next to you, or?)

Either way, sounds like it might be best if I steer clear, since I certainly wasn't aware of the rubbish AI, either. Thanks for the heads-up

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Lemon Curdistan posted:

It's pretty, though.

Pretty sure the sound and AI were fixed? I never noticed a problem with them. I was able to use equipment to distract guards as intended. It's worth $7.50 if you want to sneak around and steal stuff. The point rush missions were fun, as was the bank DLC.

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost

Awesome! posted:

Holy poo poo, this is the first time I have ever caught a Dominions game on sale. Thanks for mentioning it.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Major Isoor posted:

...a broken sound engine? How did they manage that - and in what way? (like, will someone speaking a mile away be as loud as they were speaking right next to you, or?)
I watched a friend of mine play it for about an hour, and that's pretty much what happened. He had to peek through a hole in a wall as part of a mission, and once you're done watching the scene inside, the dialog keeps playing on full-volume loop the rest of the stage despite it being on the other side of a stone wall and about 20 feet away.

Also it takes things that would have been full player-solvable puzzles in previous games and pretty much solves them for you through the magic of visual highlights.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Major Isoor posted:

(like, will someone speaking a mile away be as loud as they were speaking right next to you, or?)

Yep! Or someone speaking right next to you will sound like they're down the street, or dialogue won't play, or guards will loop the same line over and over again.

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

I'll give you a definite maybe.

Major Isoor posted:

Skip. If you're looking for that type of experience go get Dishonored or play through Thief 2 again instead. Thief 2014 is not good.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
So is there any sort of rogue-lite (or any randomized/procedurally generated...) shooter in which your weapons feel like they matter or have impact? It seems to be a common complaint with the games I've played (Tower of guns, Rogue Shooter, Paranautical Activity) and games I don't have, but have heard that exact complaint about (Ziggurat, the Black Ice demo I just played). I mean, even Doom 1 and 2 had flinching!

Is there any game like this?

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Yep! Or someone speaking right next to you will sound like they're down the street, or dialogue won't play, or guards will loop the same line over and over again.

That was fixed within days of release?

admataY
Oct 16, 2008
So, marlow briggs..
where did this delightful thing came from ? I was under the impression goons only " loved" it ironically , but its sort of amazing I find . It is a shame i never heard of it outside this forum .
It is sort of like god of war and commando made a baby, and then the baby died because a film and a game cannot reproduce together, but from the ashes of that baby that never was rose a 0.99$ steam game thats more entertaining then many full priced titles.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

admataY posted:

So, marlow briggs..
where did this delightful thing came from ? I was under the impression goons only " loved" it ironically , but its sort of amazing I find . It is a shame i never heard of it outside this forum .
It is sort of like god of war and commando made a baby, and then the baby died because a film and a game cannot reproduce together, but from the ashes of that baby that never was rose a 0.99$ steam game thats more entertaining then many full priced titles.

Marlow Briggs was made by the company Zootfly, which I find to be absolutely incredible because they are the minds behind the god drat awful (read: hilarious) Prison Break tie-in game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQsmD8-vfQs&t=236s

Major Ricardo
Jan 30, 2001

oneof27 posted:

So today I sit down to indulge in my post-Christmas game playing binge with a couple new purchases.
Everything is minimizing itself to desktop.
Black Flag
Skyrim
New Vegas
X-Com
I can Alt-Tab back into the game, but it does the same thing after a minute or two. It's very frustrating.

I had an issue like that and it was caused by Samsung Magician (SSD software).

mr. nobody
Sep 25, 2004

Net contents 12 fluid oz.

Morter posted:

So is there any sort of rogue-lite (or any randomized/procedurally generated...) shooter in which your weapons feel like they matter or have impact? It seems to be a common complaint with the games I've played (Tower of guns, Rogue Shooter, Paranautical Activity) and games I don't have, but have heard that exact complaint about (Ziggurat, the Black Ice demo I just played). I mean, even Doom 1 and 2 had flinching!

Is there any game like this?

I'm playing Ziggurat for the first time if you want to experience it with me:

[done broadcasting]

not talking or anything, just playing the game for minimum 30 minutes from this post

mr. nobody fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Dec 27, 2014

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Brackhar posted:

Skip. If you're looking for that type of experience go get Dishonored or play through Thief 2 again instead. Thief 2014 is not good.

That was going to be my suggestion too. If you haven't played Dishonored, get Dishonored instead. It's a fantastic game and the two story DLC campaigns are good too. The challenges DLC is alright if you enjoy random challenges. I tried playing Thief '2014' right after Dishonored (and I've always been a fan of the Thief series of games) and the latest Thief game just felt like a step backwards from what Dishonored already did much better.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Can you still trade CS/GO stuff without waiting for the time being?

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
Savant - Ascent is pretty cool http://store.steampowered.com/app/259530/, worth a buck.

Also Woah Dave! is also pretty drat fun for a buck http://store.steampowered.com/app/315110/

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
I was thinking of getting South Park: The Stick of Truth, but I heard it was pretty short, and the original price kind of drove me off. But for $13.59, is it worth it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

admataY
Oct 16, 2008

Dr. Fetus posted:

I was thinking of getting South Park: The Stick of Truth, but I heard it was pretty short, and the original price kind of drove me off. But for $13.59, is it worth it?

My first playthrough was over 15 hours, so its not criminally short. I would defintly say it worth it for that price.

• Locked thread