Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
You just hate us cause you ain't us :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011

Frijolero posted:

What the gently caress is wrong with most of you?

This movie is objectively bad. There is minimal character development. The writing is god loving awful. The acting is mediocre. The story is a bunch of Jewish virgins got together and watched a CNN special about North Korea.

Worst of all, it is mostly awkward and unfunny. "You are the Samwise to my Frodo" ?? That joke is 12 years old now. Rob Lowe is balding?? LOLZ! What else is current and funny? Oh a 2010 song by Katy Perry! gently caress off.

I like whatever makes you this upset.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Frijolero posted:

This movie is objectively bad. There is minimal character development. The writing is god loving awful. The acting is mediocre. The story is a bunch of Jewish virgins got together and watched a CNN special about North Korea.

Worst of all, it is mostly awkward and unfunny. "You are the Samwise to my Frodo" ?? That joke is 12 years old now. Rob Lowe is balding?? LOLZ! What else is current and funny? Oh a 2010 song by Katy Perry! gently caress off.

Thanks for clearing that up, Boromir.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Frijolero posted:

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Frijolero posted:

a bunch of Jewish virgins got together and watched a CNN special about North Korea

New thread title, please.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Frijolero posted:

Boromir spotted

Mandy Thompson
Dec 26, 2014

by zen death robot
I thought it was funny enough, not funny enough to start World War 3 over but it was a pretty good stoner flick.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

Frijolero posted:

That's such a loving Boromir thing to say, dude.

RaspberrySea
Nov 29, 2004

Frijolero posted:

Do you know that there's still a chance for you? 'Cause there's a spark in you? You just gotta ignite the light and let it shine~~

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Frijolero posted:

Do you ever feel....like a plastic bag....

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I love that Skylark's book is called "An Unexpected Journey".

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Frijolero posted:

Kim? Kim is that you?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

weekly font posted:

Kim? Kim is that you?

It's your cousin, Rong-Il! You know that new torture stress position you were looking for? Well, take a look at this...

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
Real talk, though, I would have had a way bigger problem with the LotR jokes if the movie wasn't literally structured around them. More than the North Korea thing, I think that's the movie's core gimmick: it's an absurdist retelling of LotR.

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Also wasn't it Kim Jr. who was supposedly obsessed with American media and not Lil Kim. We know next to nothing about Lil Kim.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

feedmyleg posted:

Can someone gif the Joseph Gordon-Levitt puppy scene?

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Frijolero posted:

Comedy is hugely subjective, and anyone with any experience knows not to ever try to create an objective opinion about comedy. It's easily hugely subjective with a singular person, as people can be high/drunk in a certain mood and laugh their rear end off at something they won't find funny at all the next time.

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants
Mmkay. Just rented this on Youtube and... it's only available in 480p on my laptop. WTF. Is this supposed to be? If so, why the gently caress can't I watch my big Hollywood movie in 1080p, but I can watch lp's in 1080p??

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

nickmeister posted:

Mmkay. Just rented this on Youtube and... it's only available in 480p on my laptop. WTF. Is this supposed to be? If so, why the gently caress can't I watch my big Hollywood movie in 1080p, but I can watch lp's in 1080p??

Only the consoles get the HD verison apparently to prevent people on PC pirating it in HD. They didn't really think that through.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽

Frijolero posted:

Also wasn't it Kim Jr. who was supposedly obsessed with American media and not Lil Kim. We know next to nothing about Lil Kim.

The movie was written when he was still alive. It was suppose to be him but made the change when he died.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Wait, who's supposed to be which Kim there? Il is the short one who was in charge and died recently, being replaced by the fatty Un that we saw in the film. Neither of them have a reputation of being obsessed with American media.

Nam is the one who got caught trying to sneak into Disneyland and is now chilling in Macau.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

mobby_6kl posted:

Wait, who's supposed to be which Kim there? Il is the short one who was in charge and died recently, being replaced by the fatty Un that we saw in the film. Neither of them have a reputation of being obsessed with American media.

Nam is the one who got caught trying to sneak into Disneyland and is now chilling in Macau.

Read the message posted just before yours.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

mobby_6kl posted:

Kim Jong Il owned several thousand American films.

Wikipedia posted:

Kim was said to be a huge film fan, owning a collection of more than 20,000 video tapes and DVDs. His reported favorite movie franchises included James Bond, Friday the 13th, Rambo, Godzilla and Hong Kong action cinema with Sean Connery and Elizabeth Taylor his favorite male and female actors.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Dec 27, 2014

BlackJosh
Sep 25, 2007

mobby_6kl posted:

We really don't know much about Un but Kim Jong Il was definitely super duper into american cinema, if I remember correctly.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Chamale posted:

I liked it. Not as funny as This is the End, certainly nowhere near the great satires like The Great Dictator and Doctor Strangelove, but overall an entertaining movie. It's interesting that the North Koreans are evidently so unhappy with this movie, perhaps because of the chance that the tiny percentage of the population that speaks English and watches bootleg Western movies could get their hands on it.

Tech types are actually saying the hacking was probably not from DPRK, but Russia (based on the bad English in the threat messages- they're more common mistakes when translating from Russian, apparently.) Not sure who else stood to benefit from this, doubt Putin and co. were involved.

Anyway, funny movie. Definitely lacks a bit of satirical focus- even accepting that it's a goofy stoner film a clearer "take" on the material would have been better.

Akumos
Sep 10, 2006

Frijolero posted:

lmao look at this nerd that thinks comedy can be objectively bad

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Frijolero posted:

I will bite your posting fingers off

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
e: posted in wrong thread

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I almost got honey dicked as I was liking Kim Jong Un but man, James Franco brings this movie WAY down. He was good as a sorta backup to Rogen in Pineapple Express but he is poo poo at being a lead.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Vintersorg posted:

I almost got honey dicked as I was liking Kim Jong Un but man, James Franco brings this movie WAY down. He was good as a sorta backup to Rogen in Pineapple Express but he is poo poo at being a lead.

Have you seen 127 Hours or Spring Breakers? He is a more than capable actor.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I liked 127 hours, so maybe im being harsh but I turned off Spring Breakers before James Franco was really introduced, so if I can stomach it I can try to get back to it.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Vintersorg posted:

I liked 127 hours, so maybe im being harsh but I turned off Spring Breakers before James Franco was really introduced, so if I can stomach it I can try to get back to it.

You literally turned it off right before it gets good

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Spring breakers is my favorite movie. spring break forever

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

I liked it. The actual interview should have been more serious or at least had more effort put into it, but I only think that because this movie is famous for the reason that it is. Spoiler-esque question: the foreign (cyrillic?) writing on the tank during the chase at the end looked out of place, because it was in impact font and had a period at the end. What does it say?

Wake_N_Bake
Dec 5, 2003

I love to argue by using all caps. I feel it helps keep people from noticing that I have little or nothing to add to any given conversation. I also

Frijolero posted:

You seem very angry about a movie.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Inspector Hound posted:

I liked it. The actual interview should have been more serious or at least had more effort put into it, but I only think that because this movie is famous for the reason that it is. Spoiler-esque question: the foreign (cyrillic?) writing on the tank during the chase at the end looked out of place, because it was in impact font and had a period at the end. What does it say?

"Sink or Swim" per online translator

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

monster on a stick posted:

"Sink or Swim" per online translator

Thank you! At least as awesome as I was hoping.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

BlackJosh posted:

We really don't know much about Un but Kim Jong Il was definitely super duper into american cinema, if I remember correctly.

It's true, their movie studio is basically a museum about how great Il is at making movies and how he invented multi-directional shooting. I strongly suggest anyone reading this thread (since it would qualify that they want to know about both a movie and about North Korea on some level) should check this out:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UuOQhGHdn_A

Worth watching even just for the part where he actually gets a tour of the studio and the general/tourguide/whatever all get into an argument over whether one of the placards is saying that Il visited the studio that number of times or that he offered guidance that number of times.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Dec 27, 2014

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!
Did anyone notice that the replacement ricin strips seemed to be missing the A/B labels? My friends and I all though that was going to be some weird plot point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
I mean, they make a big deal out of Ricin being 100% incurable, you die in 12 hours, period, end of discussion so I'm not sure how that would have worked and not seemed dumb.

• Locked thread