Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble

Neodoomium posted:

Brian just went to "It's Happening," which if you've been reading him, he's been extremely reluctant to do unless he was completely certain.

It must be pretty drat well closed at this point. A huge amount of people would look foolish at this point with the amount of stuff thrown around right now.

Michigan reps are in San Francisco, this might actually happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!
Looks like Durkin will be there too. Holy poo poo if this gets pulled off (I'm still a bit reserved) the Hackett played this coaching search perfectly. Best hire by a mile.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Regnevelc posted:

Looks like Durkin will be there too. Holy poo poo if this gets pulled off (I'm still a bit reserved) the Hackett played this coaching search perfectly. Best hire by a mile.

Sure sucks that Cutcliffe turned us down and we had to settle for our 2nd choice.

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

As much as I'd like to turn on the dozens of people who filed in here to point and laugh, I am actually just legitimately pleased we have hired a good coach.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I am not sure if you can be smug about something people were willing to concede possible, if unlikely.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

You've hired the top sales guy from another company who was abruptly fired after a clash with management. Good Luck

Fisticuffs
Aug 9, 2007

Okay you a goon but what's a goon to a goblin?

Deteriorata posted:

I like the looks of this:

Uhhh... any rando could send something addressed to Coach Jim Harbaugh to Michigan Stadium

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Fisticuffs posted:

Uhhh... any rando could send something addressed to Coach Jim Harbaugh to Michigan Stadium

Brian Cook confirms that the return address is an NFL team, and the tracking number is legitimate.

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!

Eltoasto posted:

You've hired the top sales guy from another company who was abruptly fired after a clash with management. Good Luck

Is that better or worse than fake health problems?

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

Also is it really abrupt if it's been ongoing since the NFL Preseason?

Fisticuffs
Aug 9, 2007

Deteriorata posted:

Brian Cook confirms that the return address is an NFL team, and the tracking number is legitimate.

Any rando can use any return address they want though?

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
We did it.

Eight months is a long time to wait before a game.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

Regnevelc posted:

Is that better or worse than fake health problems?

Everyone needs a vacation.

I think it is a good hire for Michigan, but if I were a Michigan fan I wouldn't be so sure that it's the greatest thing ever. It might work out, it might be a nightmare. But he's being shoved out the door as a successful NFL coach for reasons. I hope he doesn't try to run that boring Stanford offense again, the B1G needs to get away from that.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Fisticuffs posted:

Any rando can use any return address they want though?

You might have a point if this were the only piece of evidence involved. It doesn't matter.

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

Eltoasto posted:

Everyone needs a vacation.

I think it is a good hire for Michigan, but if I were a Michigan fan I wouldn't be so sure that it's the greatest thing ever. It might work out, it might be a nightmare. But he's being shoved out the door as a successful NFL coach for reasons. I hope he doesn't try to run that boring Stanford offense again, the B1G needs to get away from that.

Jim Harbaugh > Brady Hoke

This is the correct way to think about this.

Edit: Jim Harbaugh is also not Greg Schiano

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

This thread's finally getting good :popcorn:

Can't wait to see more people be surprised about a thing people have thought would happen since actually preseason, while the two guys who said as much and were mocked (not that they didn't deserve it at times but still) won't get one apology from any of them

Chris James 2 fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Dec 27, 2014

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Chris James 2 posted:

Can't wait to see more people be surprised about a thing people have thought would happen since actually preseason, while the two guys who said as much and were mocked won't get one apology from any of them

I will graciously accept the egg on my face, but the fat lady has not yet sung.

Fisticuffs
Aug 9, 2007

Deteriorata posted:

You might have a point if this were the only piece of evidence involved. It doesn't matter.

Well I'm not going to call your flight tracker knowledge into question, I know how fool-proof that tool has been for other programs in similar scenarios

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Fisticuffs posted:

Well I'm not going to call your flight tracker knowledge into question, I know how fool-proof that tool has been for other programs in similar scenarios

You might want to get some tickets to the Michigan-Illinois game on Tuesday night. I hear there's going to be a spectacular half-time show.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

Deteriorata posted:

You might want to get some tickets to the Michigan-Illinois game on Tuesday night. I hear there's going to be a spectacular half-time show.

Shouldn't they do it at a hockey game if they want a crowd?

Fisticuffs
Aug 9, 2007

Deteriorata posted:

Why would I want to watch two lovely basketball teams?

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
HHHNNNNNGHHHHHH

HNNNGGGHHHHH

HNNNNNNNNNNNNGGGGGHHHHHH

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Chris James 2 posted:

Can't wait to see more people be surprised about a thing people have thought would happen since actually preseason, while the two guys who said as much and were mocked (not that they didn't deserve it at times but still) won't get one apology from any of them

You can't convince me AsInHowe hasn't been full of poo poo the entire time, Det's just been reading what he wants to read into things which isn't that bad although occasionally funny.

When the bets were called off at that sports book was when I started believing there was a real chance, sharps know everything.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide
I never thought they couldn't because Harbaugh was turning into a trainwreck at the Niners, I just got enjoyment out of everyone acting like they never saw how the Coaching Carousel works before and jumping onto flight times and real estate rumors as if a single one has ever not been bullshit.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Chris James 2 posted:

No one owes anyone poo poo. They were dumb, but they may also have been accidentally right, it happens.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Grittybeard posted:

You can't convince me AsInHowe hasn't been full of poo poo the entire time, Det's just been reading what he wants to read into things which isn't that bad although occasionally funny.

When the bets were called off at that sports book was when I started believing there was a real chance, sharps know everything.

lol. The wheels have been turning to get Harbaugh to Michigan since September. He's been actively seeking a way to get back to Ann Arbor for the better part of a year.

The fact that you didn't know about it doesn't mean it wasn't happening.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Deteriorata posted:

lol. The wheels have been turning to get Harbaugh to Michigan since September. He's been actively seeking a way to get back to Ann Arbor for the better part of a year.

The wheels really started turning when Brandon got the boot and Hackett came in. Anything before that was speculative, because Dave Brandon vowed on numerous occasions that Jim Harbaugh wouldn't come to Michigan, Harbaugh doesn't want to coach at Michigan, etc.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
And we go from this

Deteriorata posted:

You're right with regard to Harbaugh. He would leave the NFL only if he didn't like it, not because nobody wanted him. I have no idea what he actually wants to do.

After seeing his latest press conference, though, it's pretty clear he's not having much fun in San Francisco at the moment.

to this

Deteriorata posted:

Everyone must have been doing a hell of a job of hiding their sources a month ago. It's also interesting how much Harbaugh respected Hoke a few weeks back and now he's been secretly waiting to come to Michigan for a year.

AsInHowe posted:

The wheels really started turning when Brandon got the boot and Hackett came in.

This is believable, or at least makes sense as to when they really started going after him.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Grittybeard posted:

And we go from this

to this

Everyone must have been doing a hell of a job of hiding their sources a month ago. It's also interesting how much Harbaugh respected Hoke a few weeks back and now he's been secretly waiting to come to Michigan for a year.

Harbaugh respecting Hoke and Harbaugh seeing the writing on the wall are not mutually exclusive things.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

AsInHowe posted:

The wheels really started turning when Brandon got the boot and Hackett came in. Anything before that was speculative, because Dave Brandon vowed on numerous occasions that Jim Harbaugh wouldn't come to Michigan, Harbaugh doesn't want to coach at Michigan, etc.

True. I knew there was a general movement among boosters to bring in Harbaugh sometime last summer, but there wasn't direct evidence that it was in motion until Hackett came in.

Everything Hackett has said and done has pointed to Harbaugh being the one and only target since day 1.

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

For the record, my own personal amusement will not be at the people who have been making fun of D and Howe, but at the people who couldn't wait to tell us that Michigan was not a destination anyone would want to come to, and that they were out of their minds to think they had a shot at Jim Harbaugh, Michigan Graduate.

I will also be amused as people pile in to attempt to claim this is a failure of a hire and Michigan botched it in some way. They got the best guy they could possibly get.

We used to have a macro about free agency that I've recalled recently.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003
I don't think Michigan is a bad job at all, just that they should have went after Mullen because going after Harbaugh seemed unlikely and honestly still does.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

There is no way this has been going on since September.

Unless you think it is a coincidence that rumors only started when the wheels fell off the 49er wagon.

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

A lot of the non-Harbaugh info we've gotten suggests that Mullen is the #2 or #3 option.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?
Jim Harbaugh has been planning this for a year and Gordie Howe died a few weeks ago.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

CharlestheHammer posted:

There is no way this has been going on since September.

Unless you think it is a coincidence that rumors only started when the wheels fell off the 49er wagon.

The decision to dump Brandon and target Harbaugh was not made on the spur of the moment.

I did not know it at the time, but others have confirmed since that President Schlissel himself was the instigator of the move, initiated after the Notre Dame game and raised in priority after the Minnesota game.

A study was done to assess the impact on the university and the athletic department of the effect of a) retaining Hoke b)replacing Hoke with a cheap, above-average coach, or c) going all out and paying big money for a top coach (Harbaugh). The study concluded that going for Harbaugh was the most cost-effective and beneficial outcome to the university, so that was what they did.

He spent several weeks getting his ducks in a row and making sure everything was set before he pulled the trigger on Brandon.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

I just can't believe anyone would be that dumb.

Though I would be interested in seeing where you got this from.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
Jay Glazer's first report about Harbaugh wanting out of San Fran was October 5th, right?

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

CharlestheHammer posted:

I just can't believe anyone would be that dumb.

Though I would be interested in seeing where you got this from.

What was dumb? Part of the setup was contacting Harbaugh through his dad to find out if he was interested and what he needed to make the move. If Jim had said no, they would have moved on to someone else.

Do you honestly think they would have been doing all this without some assurance from Harbaugh himself that he would take the job?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Deteriorata posted:

What was dumb? Part of the setup was contacting Harbaugh through his dad to find out if he was interested and what he needed to make the move. If Jim had said no, they would have moved on to someone else.

Do you honestly think they would have been doing all this without some assurance from Harbaugh himself that he would take the job?

In September? Yes.

Now? (or when the team was starting to fall apart) Not so much.

Still would like the source for this tho.

davecrazy posted:

Jay Glazer's first report about Harbaugh wanting out of San Fran was October 5th, right?

I think that report was that San Fran wanted him gone, not that he wanted to leave.

CharlestheHammer fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Dec 27, 2014

• Locked thread