Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

vibratingsheep posted:

Would people actually be interested in a Japan travel diary, or should I leave the thread fallow until I get back in January?

Sure, why not? If it's something you'd be up for, anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coughman
Mar 12, 2010

Communists and Freemasons.
This run is a nice change of pace since for whatever reason Goon doesnt seem to be his usual protag-oblivious self.

I guess when you're not totally focused on trying to find your way to first base and just have fun instead, things just flow better.

All work and no play make Goon a generic harem-anime protagonist.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

CHiRAL posted:

The BTS are out, for anyone that needs just a little more Ahyoung in their diet :3:

Which tokimeki girls would make the best genius game players? Yuina would probably be decent.

you may have posted in the wrong thread :ssh:

CHiRAL
Mar 29, 2010

Anus.
That explains why no one joined me in my enthusiasm :sweatdrop:

KillerEggplant
Apr 2, 2011

vibratingsheep posted:

Would people actually be interested in a Japan travel diary, or should I leave the thread fallow until I get back in January?

I'd love to hear about your travels, as long as it's not a pain in the rear end for you to post about!

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

Fudou, Gunzou. The Face of the Franchise Killer. 2004.
Homura route, chapter 7: My last act as president

1/1: The home stretch

Hikari's, Jun's, and Takumi's cards are the same as always.

Goon: This is Kotobuki-san's card. It really drips with her personality.
Goon: But what the hell is this guy supposed to be?

A happy new year!
Let's make this one a very happy one!

Up on the top left of Miyuki's card is a drawing helpfully labeled horse saying "neeeeigh".

Homura's card is also technically not new, but 1) she's the star of this run and 2) it's hilarious.

Goon: Oh, hi Homura. What're you doing here this early?
Homura: Happy new year! May it be full of cheer for both of us.
Goon: Uh, happy new year. I hope for the same thing.
Homura: I came here to say my new year's greetings, and invite you to come out to hatsumoude. Let's go!
Goon: Yeah, I'm in!
Homura: I thought you'd say that. Let's get a move on.
Goon: Alright, lemme go change.
Homura: Make it quick.

Yup, same as last year. I'll skip to the parts that're new.

Homura: Hey, while we're here, we should pull our fortunes.
Goon: Sure, let's do it!
Homura: That's the spirit! Don't be shocked by how good I am at this, though.
Goon: (How can she be good at this?)

Goon: Let's see, my fortune for the year is...
Goon: Kichi, huh?
Goon: (What did Homura get?)
Homura: Did use the trick and get yourself a Daikichi?
Goon: Here, see for yourself. What did yours say, Homura?
Homura: Daikichi, of course. Wanna try another one?
Homura: Here, I got daikichi again.
Goon: Whoa. You were right.
Goon: (Maybe there really is a trick to this.)

Homura: Even this late, people are piling in. Wanna go back and do it all over again?
Goon: Again?
Homura: I'm joking. See ya--get home safe.
Goon: You too, Homura.
Goon: (She said it was a joke, but I feel like she was serious.)

1/13: Oh yeah, there were other girls in this game

Oh yeah, huh. Notably, this is Goon's first date with a not-Homura girl since year 1. The drought is over!

1/27: Homura's new look

If you buy Homura the cute skirt at Christmas, her outfit changes to something... that resembles a letterman jacket crossed with a sweater. It certainly is different from her usual look.

As usual, the conversations remain static and only the outfit changes.

2/14: Valentine's Day

Homura: Gunma.
Goon: Yo, Akai-san.
Homura: Prepare to be amazed!
Homura: Here, take this. How do you like it?
Goon: W, wow. I am amazed. Is this chocolate cake?
Homura: Yeah, because if I gave you a regular old chocolate, it'd be boring.
Homura: Wanna split it with me later?
Goon: S, sure.
Goon: (That explains it. I was wondering why she gave me a #7.)

Yep, same as in the previous Maho run.

Miyuki: Oh no!
Goon: What's going on, why're you looking at me like that?
Miyuki: I got so excited giving out chocolate, I ran out!
Goon: You wanted to give me one? Don't worry so much about it.

Miyuki: But I can't just let this stand--
Miyuki: Oh, I know! Here, have this instead!
Miyuki: It's kinda the same thing, so it's fine, right?
Goon: (Gum, on Valentine's Day? And it's already been chewed.)
Goon: (I guess this counts as a kind of giri chocolate?)

Um. Eww.

3/1: Graduation day

I didn't upload a version of this speech myself yet, but since Tokimemo still has a good following on the 'net, here's the fully animated version of Homura's ending: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mXROU3ACRMc

Goon: The graduation ceremony's about to start. I should head over there.

Homura: Today, all of us leave Hibikino High School behind and enter the world.
Homura: Right now, with all of you watching over me, I'm full of joy at making it to graduation.
Goon: (This is a pretty formal speech from her.)

Homura: Alright, that's enough of the formalities.
Homura: These three years have been really fun for me!
Goon: (?!)

Homura: Nyahaha!

Homura: I don't really remember all of it, though.
Homura: The sports festival, the school festival--
Homura: Everything was super fun, except for the parts where I was stuck in a classroom clinging to a desk and trying to study.

Homura: Yeah... it was fun.
Homura: Well, I guess that doesn't matter.

Homura: No, it does matter!

Homura: Dammit! I can't say it right!
Goon: (...)
Homura: Uh, well, you know--
Homura: What I want to say is, uh--
Homura: The reason the sports festival and the school festival were fun were because you were there with me.
Homura: Oh, and the class trip too.
Goon: (What?!)

Homura: poo poo, is it hot in here?

Homura: When I think about you, I get all warm right here.
Homura: ...

Homura: So what I'm trying to say is--
Homura: What I'm trying to say is...
Homura: Goon, I want to keep hanging out with you!
Homura: How about it, let's have fun together forever!
Goon: (Homura...)

Goon: Homura.
Homura: Wha--
Goon: Uhhh, well...
Goon: Let's keep hanging out like this, Homura.

Homura: What?

Goon: Because... I love you, Homura.

Homura: Alright, this speech is over!
Homura: Graduating class spokesperson, and student body president, Akai Homura!

(applause)

Goon: Wow, I can't believe that the silent bell rang for us.
Homura: Huh? What's that mean?
Goon: You didn't know, Homura?
Goon: There's a legend that says if a couple confesses their love for each other while the bell rings, they'll live happily ever after.
Homura: Huh.
Goon: What do you mean, "huh"?
Homura: Who cares about a legend like that?
Homura: We don't need that, we're gonna have fun for the rest of our lives!
Homura: Right?
Goon: Right!
Homura: Cool, now let's go eat and celebrate our graduation!
Goon: Yeah!

And that is how the curtain closed on my three years of high school

When I look back, it feels like all I did was run student council meetings.

In any case, I'm glad that I managed to graduate.

I got accepted to a second-tier company, so I can't complain about that.

Oh yeah, and Homura's going to work for Akai Orchards.

We're on different paths now, so we may have fewer opportunities to see each other.

But that just means we'll value our time together even more.

She's as rude and crude as always, but I think that we'll have a lot of fun times together from here on out.

This school's legend has been fulfilled.

But the two of us aren't going to rely on some legend.

We're going to keep building our relationship together...

Forever.

As always, Takumi decides to take his talents and work for a host club.

Jun also goes to a sports college for kendo, as usual.

But he doesn't do it with Akane. :negative:

Hikari goes to a second-tier engineering school, where she is working on both her studies and on having fun.

As usual, Kotoko goes to a second-tier liberal arts college.

Miyuki goes off to work at a magazine publishing company, hoping to become a writer.

Akane works at a restaurant, where she gets to work with giant cookware all day, especially giant knives.

Wait, why did Goon specifically call out the knives? That's weird.

Kaedeko works as a receptionist at a giant corporation, where she's well-liked because she's cute and has a nice smile.

Mei is Mei.

The end!

But wait, there's one more thing that wasn't answered by this run and I thought would be covered. So, I'll just put it here.

What's with Homura and Bakuretsuzan?

Their story starts when Bakuretsuzan was a high school student at Hibikino, where he and Homura's grandfather were best friends. They became rivals in affection for the girl who would become Homura's grandmother, so in many ways Bakuretsuzan sees Homura as the grandchild he could have had, especially since she seems to be the spitting image of her teenage grandmother.

Thankfully, Bakretsuzan is an overgrown manchild at heart, so he and Homura are boisterous best friends instead of the incredibly complex Snape-Potter relationship. Or the incredibly creepy STRANGER DANGER-Goonko relationship.

Oh, and why is she student body president? Because she was late to school on the very first day. Bakuretsuzan caught her, and slapped her with the position as a kind of punishment.

Basically, Bakuretsuzan is awesome.

Later tonight: Finishing the Mei run on stream!

vibratingsheep fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Dec 19, 2014

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

The most hotblooded of endings. :unsmith:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Homura and Goon would then go on to find a pair of combining robots and save the world.

Alpha3KV
Mar 30, 2011

Quex Chest
I like how utterly non-sappy this route was, especially the way Homura actively shut down any attempts at sentimentality during the ~*~Childhood Memory~*~ event and the bell ringing at the end.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"

Alpha3KV posted:

I like how utterly non-sappy this route was, especially the way Homura actively shut down any attempts at sentimentality during the ~*~Childhood Memory~*~ event and the bell ringing at the end.

Yeah, I wanted to say this too. Homura doesn't care about all that mushy legend crap, there's fun to be had!

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.
Don't forget that she decides to give her confession of love as her commencement speech. (Or the Japanese equivalent, anyway.)

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Wait a minute, did you skip the delinquent fights completely this run? I thought Homura does a pretty hilarious thing in them.

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

Sindai posted:

Wait a minute, did you skip the delinquent fights completely this run? I thought Homura does a pretty hilarious thing in them.

I never got in any. I tried so hard :negative:

And yes, you can see her special move in the Akane route.

Catalina
May 20, 2008

Homura, Miyuki, and Maeka all have the best endings. :allears:

The fact that she confesses during the graduation speech is the best. I think out of all the mainline Tokimemo series, her route is the one I've liked the best.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
I'm just glad we finally managed to go out with Kamen Rider, even if we have to go back to Akane's route to see her actually use Rider Kick.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

DoubleDonut posted:

I'm just glad we finally managed to go out with Kamen Rider, even if we have to go back to Akane's route to see her actually use Rider Kick.

We have become Electro Wave Human Tackle.

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

A bit late, but I'm streaming the end of the Mei run before my three week hiatus for vacation.

Twitch.tv/vibratingsheep - 10 months to go!

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer

Spiritus Nox posted:

The most hotblooded of endings. :unsmith:

There's a fever burning inside of Goon.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

vibratingsheep posted:

A bit late, but I'm streaming the end of the Mei run before my three week hiatus for vacation.

Twitch.tv/vibratingsheep - 10 months to go!
Have fun at Comiket. Remember to wash your hands, and try not to breathe in - I hear there's a bad case of kancolle going around.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I knew we had to do the Homura run from the moment she appeared on-screen.

I can see I was not mistaken. Best Tokimemo 2 girl. I thought it'd be funny because she quoted Kamen Rider, but she far, far surpassed my expectations. Her manliness, love for robots, entire non-caring about her actual job at school and how even in the end she just wants to have fun (with the person she loves now!) is just great.

Hopefully this won't mean the other love interests will look lame for not being Homura.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Bakuretsuzan is probably secretly amazingly proud of Homura for confessing her love in front of the entire school and having it accepted.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Glazius posted:

Bakuretsuzan is probably secretly amazingly proud of Homura for confessing her love in front of the entire school and having it accepted.

Secretly?

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

I kind of waffled before I stuck that one on there. I mean, if he comes out and backslaps her for it the next student council president is going to expect they can get off writing a commencement speech and just do a love confession.

Then again he might be cool with that becoming a tradition. I dunno.

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

Glazius posted:

I kind of waffled before I stuck that one on there. I mean, if he comes out and backslaps her for it the next student council president is going to expect they can get off writing a commencement speech and just do a love confession.

Then again he might be cool with that becoming a tradition. I dunno.

It would add an interesting element to the StuCo election, huh? Make sure you've picked an acceptable running mate...

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Alpha3KV posted:

I just want to echo this, Homura dgaf about dumb legends because bells or not she's gonna spend the rest of her life being awesome with goon as her loyal sidekick and boyfriend. :kimchi::hf::allears:

CHiRAL
Mar 29, 2010

Anus.
Homura makes her own legends!

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

Greetings thread! It has been a while.

Today is my first full day in Japan, and I am posting because I am being a good uncle and standing in this line for the Pokemon Center, a one-month-only store in Ikebukuro that my niece absolutely must get a plush pikachu from before it closes.

This was the line a half hour ago.

This post will be edited as the day goes on. I plan to hit a Konami arcade today.

1:20 PM Tokyo time

Just got out of Baymax, which is the Japanese name of Big Hero 6. As I mentioned earlier, right outside the screen there is a merchandise area. The plush Baymaxes are accompanied by the usual flood of Elsa and Anna and Rapunzel goods as well.

PS: Tadashi's name is totally cheating in the Japanese script.

2:00 PM Tokyo time

I went to the Ikebukuro arcade for a while, and the most amusing thing I found was a goldfish-scooping medal game.

The most enlightening thing I can show you, however, is the horse racing game corner. It's one of the most out-of-place spots in any arcade that has one, because it pretty much looks exactly like the sports betting areas in Vegas.

Now imagine High School Student Goon and his date walking over to this kind of smoky establishment every time that they mention a horse racing game.

Yeah, you should probably stop imagining that.

Then I went to Takadanobaba Mikado, because they were having a Guilty Gear tournament. Takadanobaba station tried to kill me, and I'm not even that tall by US standards - at 5'10" I was able to take this picture:

Yes, those other bright yellow beams are actually a bit lower than the one I am ramming my scalp into.

Anyway, Takadonobaba Mikado is my new favorite arcade in Japan. While it doesn't have Quiz Magic Academy like I was hoping for, it does have these gems along with a whole host of other games that I love:

Stream viewers should recognize Tokimeki Memorial Puzzle Dama on the left. Beat-'em-up aficionados and fellow Bearcade alumni should recognize Shadows over Mystara on the right. But the one in the center is an amazing piece of video history.

Seishun Quiz Colorful High School was a 2003 arcade quiz/dating game developed by Eighting and published by Namco. Yes, that Eighting, the one that made Marvel vs. Capcom 3 for Capcom. The character designs were done by Kubooka Toshiyuki, who pretty much went straight from this game into making character designs for THE iDOLM@STER, which made Namco approximately thirty bazillion times more money than this game did.

The point of the game is to go through twelve months of high school by answering trivia questions and talking to girls using the tried and true 3-answer multiple choice conversation system. Based on which trivia questions you chose, how well you do, and which conversation options you choose, different girls start to like you more over time. I didn't have time to play it, but it's on my list of silly things to try out.

vibratingsheep fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Dec 27, 2014

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

If you're in Ikebukuro, watch for flying vending machines.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

vibratingsheep posted:

Today is my first full day in Japan, and I am posting because I am being a good uncle and standing in this line for the Pokemon Center, a one-month-only store in Ikebukuro that my niece absolutely must get a plush pikachu from before it closes.

This was the line a half hour ago.

Picture appears sideways for me.

If that had been here, I just know at least half the peeps in that queue would be teens in cosplay of some sort. (And none of them would believe that isn't how it happens in Japan.)

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice

nielsm posted:

Picture appears sideways for me.

Japan's on the other side of the world, of course it's sideways.

You're a stronger man than I. Hope you brought a book or something.

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

Did a lazy rotation in firefox.

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

Posting straight from my iPhone, sorry if things look weird. I can fix them later

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."
You mean everything isn't 90 degrees to the side in Japan? I figured it had something to do with gravity. That's how planets work, right?

Rogue 7
Oct 13, 2012
Welcome to Tokyo!

I'll actually be checking out Comiket on Monday, I think, since the place I'm living now has a few people going.

I remember when I went to the permanent Pokemon store in...around Shibuya, I think, the store had one of those anti-loitering sounds playing outside- you know, the constant, high-pitched whine. I had to wait for some friends there for a while. It was literally hell.

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

First travel post edited with another stop or two.

Random side note: An old Japanese friend of mine invited me to a holiday party with a bunch of expats and their Japanese friends. In conversation, he "casually" dropped that I went to UC Berkeley, calling it "the Todai of America." The Japanese acted impressed (with one of them drunkenly joking that she should leave her husband and join me), while the Americans in the audience either didn't react or made jokes because they were from rival schools. It's a pretty small but useful demonstration of how much your alma mater can matter to Japanese audiences, not just economically but socially as well.

That said, the various Goons who didn't make it into top-notch universities or companies also ended up with girls who couldn't care less about that kind of thing.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Rogue 7 posted:

the store had one of those anti-loitering sounds playing outside- you know, the constant, high-pitched whine. I had to wait for some friends there for a while. It was literally hell.
What the hell? :psyduck:

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Yeah, I remember my HS japanese teacher (a japanese woman who majored in english and moved to the states with her american husband) pretty much outright stating that the Alma Mater mattered far more then what your major is when it came to the job market.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Robindaybird posted:

Yeah, I remember my HS japanese teacher (a japanese woman who majored in english and moved to the states with her american husband) pretty much outright stating that the Alma Mater mattered far more then what your major is when it came to the job market.

That's partly because it's a real PITA to get into the higher end universities like Todai but once you're in it's easy street. The degree does not matter that much, it's the dedication shown throughout middle and high school and on the exam to get into the university that they care about, the degree just grants social standing based on that other stuff. Plus the practice amongst Japanese companies of just hiring people and slotting them into whatever job that needs doing instead of hiring someone for their specialty.

Rogue 7
Oct 13, 2012

Poil posted:

What the hell? :psyduck:

I've encountered it several times here. You know how as you get older, you lose the ability to hear higher pitched sounds? Some places take advantage of that to deter teenagers by playing it at the entrance of their stores. I'm 25 and I can still hear it, it's like a nail being driven in your ears every time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PBnJamo
Feb 11, 2014
So, what was special about that plush pikachu compared to other ones?

• Locked thread