Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Helter Skelter posted:

You don't take any damage if you submit.

And repair costs in the Asp are generally pretty reasonable (relatively speaking), at least if you're using the default hull material and not something silly like military grade alloys. I knocked myself down to 38% yesterday ramming a Cobra and it was only about 140k to repair (which should be pocket change by the time you're in an Asp).

And if I'm hauling and have no shields, a couple grand to repair a potential few percent hull damage from getting shot at while running away is well worth avoiding the guaranteed damage and lost time from failing to evade (or even just the lost time if the evasion is successful).

I just love eluding those fuckers. No submitting for me. :black101:

Knifegrab posted:

Are you sure they are system security vessels and not just... eagles or vipers?

Also are you sure the system is considered anarchy and not just a single outpost within a non-anarchy system (which can happen). If you are say yes to both of those then maybe they really do spawn, but I can't imagine they'd do anything.

The difference between a ship called "Eagle" and one called "System Authority Vessel" is quite telling, I assure you.

And those little strays only appeared in empty systems close to non-anarchy systems. "Normal" anarchy systems with people in them don't spawn their own police ships, as far as I can tell. Empty systems close to them also have never spawned wandering authority vessels in my experience.

TK-42-1 posted:

I've had system security vessels spawn in empty systems. It was at a USS when I was scooping prototype tech. It jumped in and tried to scan me but I bugged out.

Was that in the middle of nowhere, or were there non-anarchy systems around it? Maybe factions really do send ships into other systems sometimes.

Libluini fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Dec 27, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
Hmmm yeah now I am confused, in all my time in anarchy systems I've never seen this. And what happens if they do scan you with stolen goods? Its not like you can become wanted. I'm assuming the faction listed for those guys is the major faction of the nearby system?

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Man, shield cells and chaff are some hilarious bullshit. With the Clipper I can just sit right behind an Anaconda pumping death right up its engines, and it can't do poo poo about it. Between popping chaff and having the shield cells to fall back on... they're cake.

Sh4 posted:

Yes I have a ship stored somewhere but pretty far from there, must be it also I downloaded the manual just for this icon and they don't talk about it anywhere :golfclap:

Yeah, when I swapped ships for a bit the game was telling me my Clipper was in Orrere, which is a good 160Ly away from where it was actually docked in Cegreeth. The system map was correct, but the galaxy map was waaaaaay off. I'd bet money that it's the same bug happening to you.

Knifegrab posted:

Hmmm yeah now I am confused, in all my time in anarchy systems I've never seen this. And what happens if they do scan you with stolen goods? Its not like you can become wanted. I'm assuming the faction listed for those guys is the major faction of the nearby system?

I've had space cops spawn in Anarchy systems occasionally, and even unpopulated systems. Seems to be a random chance for that poo poo to happen, and yeah, unless they're hostile to you they'll do a standard scan and find your cargo and you'll get a nice big fine for it. If you're in an unpopulated system, though, it's anarchic and you can just shoot them with reckless abandon before that happens.

Dipes
Oct 24, 2003
If you submit to FSD interdiction then you can immediately make a new jump. If you want to avoid a fight, the best thing to do is plot a course to a nearby star system when getting interdicted, then throttle all the way back to submit and avoid hull damage. Then 4 pips to engines and boost away while charging FSD for the jump.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Gonkish posted:

I've had space cops spawn in Anarchy systems occasionally, and even unpopulated systems. Seems to be a random chance for that poo poo to happen, and yeah, unless they're hostile to you they'll do a standard scan and find your cargo and you'll get a nice big fine for it. If you're in an unpopulated system, though, it's anarchic and you can just shoot them with reckless abandon before that happens.

Sometimes the RNG makes the best stories. I've had a Federal Dropship show up in six systems I've explored, one after another and I started to think it was the same ship following me around. :v:

Rotation Confusion
Jul 13, 2012

It's harder than it looks

Gonkish posted:

Man, shield cells and chaff are some hilarious bullshit. With the Clipper I can just sit right behind an Anaconda pumping death right up its engines, and it can't do poo poo about it. Between popping chaff and having the shield cells to fall back on... they're cake.

Since I changed my Asp to cannons (before ditching it for a clipper) I started alternating between hauling and big-game bulletin board hunting. With the clipper getting 10 shield cells out of an A fitting, I'm assuming it's even better.

t-nutz
Nov 26, 2008

Libluini posted:

I've encountered system authority vessels in empty systems, so it is definitely true. Caveat: I never got close enough to them to see if they do anything. I guess if a faction closeby is spawning them as some sort of scouts or something, you could theoretically test if they do anything by getting wanted by factions around that empty system and then go back and wait for another police ship to turn up. Sounds like a collossal waste of time for something so rare, though.

Since I'm clean as gently caress, I'll try to get close to one if I see it happen again, just to see which faction that ship belongs to.
There were Fed authority ships in a RES in Uszaa today. They turned red when I shot someone aligned with federation, so I killed a bunch of them. I didn't get any bounty and I didn't seem to get any rep hit. I'm still friendly with the Federation after killing quite a few fed condors and vipers.
More discussion on the official forums - https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=79343

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Sylink posted:

I think Altair has them.

Thanks, I ended up getting on in Beta-1 Tucanae.

Also, for anyone having trouble with fuel scoops, this is how I do it:

The green line near the top is the whatchacallit gravity line around a star where it will grab you out of supercruise. If you're rotated so the star is 'above' you and keep the line up at the top of the screen, you can skim circles around the star without risking falling in and to disengage all you do is pitch down.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Rotation Confusion posted:

Since I changed my Asp to cannons (before ditching it for a clipper) I started alternating between hauling and big-game bulletin board hunting. With the clipper getting 10 shield cells out of an A fitting, I'm assuming it's even better.

It really is. It's a ridiculous shitstorm of bullshit and you can just essentially park behind them and fire death right up their butt and they just can't do poo poo about it. Even if they boost away, you can just pop chaff and follow them and repeat the process until they go boom. It's silly. I have a C grade shield and never once had it go down while taking out an Elite Anaconda worth 153k. Poor bastard.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.

Gonkish posted:

:psyduck: But what jurisdiction is the fine in?

superh
Oct 10, 2007

Touching every treasure

WarLocke posted:

Thanks, I ended up getting on in Beta-1 Tucanae.

Also, for anyone having trouble with fuel scoops, this is how I do it:

The green line near the top is the whatchacallit gravity line around a star where it will grab you out of supercruise. If you're rotated so the star is 'above' you and keep the line up at the top of the screen, you can skim circles around the star without risking falling in and to disengage all you do is pitch down.

Yeah this is the way. It also helps to have like a C power generator and C scoop, then it takes a bearable amount of time and you usually can be in there a long time before taking damage.

What is the threshold for starting to take damage? I let it get up to like 125% a bit ago and I was still at 100%. Maybe it's sitting at 125 / 130 for some time?

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

superh posted:

Yeah this is the way. It also helps to have like a C power generator and C scoop, then it takes a bearable amount of time and you usually can be in there a long time before taking damage.

What is the threshold for starting to take damage? I let it get up to like 125% a bit ago and I was still at 100%. Maybe it's sitting at 125 / 130 for some time?

150% and above causes you to start taking hull damage.

Rotation Confusion
Jul 13, 2012

It's harder than it looks

Knifegrab posted:

150% and above causes you to start taking hull damage.

Depends on engine rating and hull.

Jarf
Jun 25, 2006

PLATINUM

I'm too impatient for Star Citizen and I want to play a space mans game where I can get a big cargo ship and deliver freight across the cosmos. Space Truck Simulator basically.
Is this the game for me and is it worth £40?

e: How are players online? Will I get trolled for being a weak cargo based ship.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Jarf posted:

I'm too impatient for Star Citizen and I want to play a space mans game where I can get a big cargo ship and deliver freight across the cosmos. Space Truck Simulator basically.

e: How are players online? Will I get trolled for being a weak cargo based ship.

The mumble crew is basically all space truckin' all the time (with a couple guys who mine or do combat for money)

RearmingStrafbomber
Jan 29, 2009

1-1-2029, tonight the stars are shining bright
Easier to just hit zero throttle once the fuel/second and heat meters are where you like them, then spend that time looking at the map/scanning the star/honking at the rest of the system before moving on.

And I swear that 150% has been the point where my dashboard starts melting, no matter what generator I've had. Better generator does take longer to hit that point!

Jarf posted:

Sounds like this is your thing. You can play solo or group-only, but full online is more... amusing. There are a number of players who hang around the highly populated newbie areas to interdict and try to run their bounties up to a high score, but away from there it's just you and maybe a couple other truckers and explorers.

Jarf
Jun 25, 2006

PLATINUM

All I needed to hear, I'm on the buy page right now. It's gonna happen.
The life of a Space Trucker is the life for me.

Jarf fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Dec 27, 2014

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

RearmingStrafbomber posted:

Sounds like this is your thing. You can play solo or group-only, but full online is more... amusing. There are a number of players who hang around the highly populated newbie areas to interdict and try to run their bounties up to a high score, but away from there it's just you and maybe a couple other truckers and explorers.

If you go hardcore into exploring you will be all alone in the void. Not even NPCs go out that far. Entire strings of systems with nothing in them but orbital bodies and you.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

WarLocke posted:

If you go hardcore into exploring you will be all alone in the void. Not even NPCs go out that far. Entire strings of systems with nothing in them but orbital bodies and you.

This is basically my space life right now. Wish I had the cash for the advanced scanner and the internal storage space for the planetary scanner. Until then, it's all basic scanner and parallax in the middle of nothing.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Xae posted:

I did some exploration today and I wasn't impressed much with the returns.

Fully scanning systems with a dozen or more objects and a the Detailed Scanner upgrade only netted me ~15k. I could make the same amount in a quarter the time helping cops pop rats in a RES site.

Were you scanning frozen blocks of ice that are one in a million?

sexy mouse
Sep 18, 2008

sexy eye~
sexy nose~
sexy mouse~
don't you know~
If I get somewhere and they only have 1 of the rare, if I wait 10 minutes does it add more rares or reset everything so it could just still have one rare?

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Libluini posted:

Uh and don't go above 100% heat when fuel scooping. Even if you think your ship can take it, it just takes one dirty bastard to pull you out of supercruise and bad things can happen.

I've taken a Cobra up to 205% and lost about 20% of all the systems, mainly due to a weirdness in the way that it calculates acceleration. I spotted a zone while I was scooping slowly at around 105% heat and decided to drop in and blat an adventurous eagle. Afterwards, aligned away from the sun and throttled up to hit supercruise, and while the countdown starts, the heat starts shooting up to 165% and hits 175% before it actually jumps.

kojei
Feb 12, 2008
Is there any reason to ever have your cargo hatch powered? It doesn't really seem like it.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

kharaa posted:

Is there any reason to ever have your cargo hatch powered? It doesn't really seem like it.

The only things I can think of is if you are mining (need to scoop up ore chunks, or spit out the kinds you do not want from your refinery), scooping up cargo floating around, or just pooping out cargo for some reason.

In all those cases, you can just power it back up turn it on when you need it. Cargo hatch power doesn't have any current effect on simply buying/selling from stations.

EDIT: Also, unbind or remap your "jettison all cargo" button in your settings to something you will not accidentally push reaching for another button. There is no warning or confirm prompt, it will just poo poo out everything then and there that isn't Mission Haulage.

EDIT Two: vvv Praying they stay flying saucers.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Dec 27, 2014

Dr. Memory
Jul 10, 2001

Ah, fuck the end of the world.

Chompers posted:

Your graphics cards memory is likely overheating, corrupting texture data as you can see.
Grab a can of compressed air and clean it out before the heat kills your card.

Yep, that was it. This laptop had taken on a lot more crud than I expected in its first half year of life.

Also, the Thargoids say "hi!"

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Is there a way to flip a system to anarchy - basically helping the local pirate gang gain influence?

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Angrymog posted:

Is there a way to flip a system to anarchy - basically helping the local pirate gang gain influence?

You would have to do missions for them, sell things to them, kill ships aligned with the system's owning faction, etc. Basically just do anything that increases their influence in the system. If they don't have a station of their own it's apparently near impossible to do this.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
A reminder to folks that abandoning missions hurts your rep with the faction that gave them, as well as negatively impacting the faction's influence!

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Gonkish posted:

You would have to do missions for them, sell things to them, kill ships aligned with the system's owning faction, etc. Basically just do anything that increases their influence in the system. If they don't have a station of their own it's apparently near impossible to do this.

Okay, didn't know if there was something I could do that would flip ownership of a station - the system I've picked as home atm has a pirate faction, but they don't have a station.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Jarf posted:

I don't know if you would like it, you can't pay several thousand real dollars for new spaceships.

Sumac
Sep 5, 2006

It doesn't matter now, come on get happy
Has anyone found good mining areas anywhere even remotely close to Jotunheim? Like within 100 ly or so? The best I could find was common reserves of metallic asteroids in Atfero.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Jarf posted:

This game is basically the uber space trucking simulator. Like, trading is one of the best ways to make money, and get new ships, which leads to more efficient trucking, which leads to more ships, etc. If you like that poo poo, this is your game.

Playing online (i.e., in open play) is pretty sparse as far as players go. There's billions of star systems, and thousands of inhabited ones. The chances of running into someone outside of the handful of starter systems is pretty slim. No one really cares what ship you're flying, btw, they all pretty much only care about whether or not you have a bounty or cargo that they can sell.

Derakarsis
Aug 7, 2007
Hope you've had your shots
So I've finally worked up a little over a mil and I think it's finally time to grab myself a lakon type 6 and make real money. Should I just go for it or crush some more asteroids for seed cash- if so, how much?

Tempus Thales
May 11, 2012

Artwork by Tempus Thales

Derakarsis posted:

So I've finally worked up a little over a mil and I think it's finally time to grab myself a lakon type 6 and make real money. Should I just go for it or crush some more asteroids for seed cash- if so, how much?

You should get at least 2 million... because its going to cost you a million to get the Lakon, and at least 500 - 800k more to get the decent engines for jumping.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Tempus Thales posted:

You should get at least 2 million... because its going to cost you a million to get the Lakon, and at least 500 - 800k more to get the decent engines for jumping.

What's the baseline cargo capacity for one?

Derakarsis
Aug 7, 2007
Hope you've had your shots

Tempus Thales posted:

Yeah I figured that was the answer. The mining is getting soul crushing, even in pristine belts. Wish there was an easier way to identify the ore types without tapping them all individually.

Pigbottom
Sep 23, 2007

Time is never wasted when you're wasted all the time.

Tempus Thales posted:

Keep in mind that you will also need money to buy the goods you are going to transport.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Acquire Currency! posted:

What's the baseline cargo capacity for one?

50 or 52? You can expand it to 112 IIRC (if you're willing to go without shields or a fuel scoop)

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

quote:

Two factions need to be pretty close in influence % and you need to help a faction with missions and actions to increase how strong they are. You deliver weapons to them (not just through missions) and cause civil unrest in the system (kill police and army forces of the ruling faction, take ruling faction missions but choose the alternative mission ending, kill traders, etc...) Basically you make a faction strong enough to challenge the ruler and then you cause unrest to cause an actual war

https://www.reddit.com/r/EliteDangerous/comments/2qg4pz/we_did_it_civil_war_in_ho_hsi_started_by_players/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

WarLocke posted:

50 or 52? You can expand it to 112 IIRC (if you're willing to go without shields or a fuel scoop)

Bet your rear end I am
E: one of the Lave special cluster systems sells regular slaves if you need to free a few

frank.club fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Dec 27, 2014

• Locked thread