Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost

Taffer posted:

Impact Flux does. But it includes a lot of tech stuff.
Maybe I wasn't paying very close attention to the text, but I actually thought ImpactFlux did kind of a poor job of explaining both the hows and the whys of its mods. Yeah, it takes you through the tech trees some of the various mods in the pack, but it usually didn't really tell you how to do anything.

I thought Agrarian Skies did a much better job on that front, but you'd have to be willing to go back to 1.6. And skyblock is a much different experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Well, technic website got back up, I figured out the user interface for the launcher (there definitely needs some indication of What You Should Do To Add Modpacks) and finangled my way to adding an old modpack that's no longer listed on the site. Running ImpactFluxier for the first time from the new launcher and...it works! Evening is saved.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

Sage Grimm posted:

Wish I could play but the new launcher wiped out the config for saved modpacks so it doesn't see any of the ones I already had, I haven't found any way of actually indicating a new modpack to be added, and the website seems to be down. Kind of miffed.

Hopefully the site being down means they recognize an issue and are fixing things. EDIT: They took the BP RPG pack offline, so I hope they fix it.

Natural Magic is neat. It's funny because it is very similar in make up to Bullet phase RPG, but it has some cool stuff Bullet doesn't, namely the HQM mod and backpack mods. It also has storage crates which I didn't check to see if BP RPG had. I am going to throw in Treecapitator, since its missing that and probably a minimap mod of some sort, since it doesn't seem to have one.

Is there a goto minimap mod for 1.7.10?

Natural Magic also doesn't have Biomes a Plenty, but for now, I don't know if I miss it yet. BAP can be nice for some variety, except when you end up with miles and miles of dense forest. I was in a nice lush swamp in BP RPG so the more barren looking vanilla style is kind of rough to go back to. NM also seems to have a more interesting balance of the Dungeon Pack stuff. Most of the stuff I found in BP RPG was complete wastes of time with maybe one chest full of garbage. Within my spawn area on NM, there was a neat little tower that had some awesome artifacts in it, and a ton of traps. And I can already see another tower in the distance and a weird floating island. Much like HExxit, however, NM has a bit of an overabundance of ore.

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
you don't need treecapitator since it has veinminer, which works on logs unless for some stupid reason they disabled wood blocks when putting it in the pack. it also has journeymap.

mechaet
Jan 4, 2013

Insufferable measure of firewood
Finally un-borked my Solder install and got all my packs up. Thanks for the heads-up, Technic platform folks.

EDIT: Christ on a cross, they borked this one pretty hard. The Technic launcher wants to install the 1.0 version of all of my modpacks, but there isn't a 1.0 version of any of them. So people can't launch the pack because they can't download the 1.0 version of the modpack.

I'd go ahead and just copy the latest build to a new 1.0 version, but THAT doesn't work either because Solder can't pull the minecraft versions from wherever it is acquiring them.

This is a fantastic update, and I'm glad to be a part of it.

mechaet fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Dec 26, 2014

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

THE PENETRATOR posted:

you don't need treecapitator since it has veinminer, which works on logs unless for some stupid reason they disabled wood blocks when putting it in the pack. it also has journeymap.

I hadn't noticed the veinminer and didn't even think to try it until I had already installed treecapitator. Veinminer feels really cheaty though.

mechaet posted:

Finally un-borked my Solder install and got all my packs up. Thanks for the heads-up, Technic platform folks.

EDIT: Christ on a cross, they borked this one pretty hard. The Technic launcher wants to install the 1.0 version of all of my modpacks, but there isn't a 1.0 version of any of them. So people can't launch the pack because they can't download the 1.0 version of the modpack.

I'd go ahead and just copy the latest build to a new 1.0 version, but THAT doesn't work either because Solder can't pull the minecraft versions from wherever it is acquiring them.

This is a fantastic update, and I'm glad to be a part of it.

I'm just going to wait a few days until this all blows over. I should have just left it alone when I saw it was acting weird. Trying to reinstall is probably going to bite me in the rear end some how, but hopefully the only thing I will lose is my keybindings since I backed up my world.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Re: the biomes o plenty stuff a few pages back, I think I'd like it more if it wasn't for all the stupid poo poo like quicksand/poison ivy/useless gems that you can't disable. If that stuff was exposed in the configs I'd be fine with it but the fact that it's mandatory if all you want is some biome variety is just annoying.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
How do you import existing instances to MultiMC? I was going to backup my tweaked Progress setup to it and try out the new one, but I can't seem to get it to work.

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax

ToastyPotato posted:

I hadn't noticed the veinminer and didn't even think to try it until I had already installed treecapitator. Veinminer feels really cheaty though.

How so? It does mine a bunch of stuff near-instantly, but it at least uses durability appropriately for each block mined. All it really does is save you time.
it's a baller way to get cobblestone

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

The speed is really it. Treecapitor actually slows you down a bit. Veinminer feels like I am in creative mode almost. It's actually really handy when you need a lot of blocks and don't feel like grinding too much, but if I am just chilling and playing with some music in the background I kinda don't mind taking it a bit slow. I just don't like having to pillar up to get logs.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Re: the biomes o plenty stuff a few pages back, I think I'd like it more if it wasn't for all the stupid poo poo like quicksand/poison ivy/useless gems that you can't disable. If that stuff was exposed in the configs I'd be fine with it but the fact that it's mandatory if all you want is some biome variety is just annoying.

Played on a server awhile back with BoP and we started off in a desert and made our base there and the quicksand went from annoying to comedic (when new players kept falling in) to useful. quicksand moats! :black101:

The gems are also decent decorative blocks at least, too bad the promised land is so hosed up. Biggest problem I had with BoP was that there were too many similar biomes and the more interesting and useful ones were pretty rare.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Rynoto posted:

I've been playing Natural Magic which is a full magic pack that is still being actively updated.

It's like a 1.7 version of Hexxit, if you ever played that - Lots of easy to get ores, dungeons, artifacts, etc. Also has ProjectE with modified recipes to integrate the magic mods into it.

This looks interesting, but that means I have to download another launcher and put more crap on my computer :suicide:. I will see how it is.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

ToastyPotato posted:

The speed is really it. Treecapitor actually slows you down a bit. Veinminer feels like I am in creative mode almost. It's actually really handy when you need a lot of blocks and don't feel like grinding too much, but if I am just chilling and playing with some music in the background I kinda don't mind taking it a bit slow. I just don't like having to pillar up to get logs.

I guess adjust it to how you like it. Configs determine which blocks are adjacent-mined and mode lets you set if you want to have it on, on while sneaking and so on.

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax

ToastyPotato posted:

aiight.
you can configure a lot about veinminer but sadly I doubt mining speed is configurable. i believe in you, and hope you enjoy your experience.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Usually I just go into creative mode, fly up to the top of the tree, go back to survival, then chop through the trunk.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
On the subject of Veinminer, it just made me ragequit. I had to rebuild a loving pen out of wall like 4 times because it wouldn't turn off. I even set the mode to disabled.

Danny Glands
Jan 26, 2013

Possible thermal failure (CPU on fire?)
How the hell do I install new modpacks in the new launcher?!

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

Danny Glands posted:

How the hell do I install new modpacks in the new launcher?!

There's two ways: if you copy the platform URL like normal from the website, the launcher should auto detect it in your clipboard and add it to the modpacks list. Otherwise, in the launcher, there's a search bar at the top of the modpacks list - do a search in there for the pack you want and it should come up. In both cases, there'll be an install button on the lower-right.

Halibut Barn
May 30, 2005

help

Echophonic posted:

How do you import existing instances to MultiMC? I was going to backup my tweaked Progress setup to it and try out the new one, but I can't seem to get it to work.

It's been a while since I last did it, but I think all I had to do was first create an instance with the right version of Minecraft and Forge in the MultiMC GUI, then find the instance directory under the MultiMC directory and copy all the files from the instance that I'm trying to import. There may or may not be a 'minecraft' or '.minecraft' directory in there depending on where you're importing from, but basically the 'mods' directory from the original instance should wind up under '<MultiMC directory>\instances\<instance name>\minecraft\mods', for example.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

THE PENETRATOR posted:

aiight.
you can configure a lot about veinminer but sadly I doubt mining speed is configurable. i believe in you, and hope you enjoy your experience.

It's not, and I wish it was, but mining every block and every log by hand just gets a little too tedious, I just have to have veinminer now. It'd be nice to do like a +10% mining time of every additional block or something, but whatever.

Halibut Barn posted:

It's been a while since I last did it, but I think all I had to do was first create an instance with the right version of Minecraft and Forge in the MultiMC GUI, then find the instance directory under the MultiMC directory and copy all the files from the instance that I'm trying to import. There may or may not be a 'minecraft' or '.minecraft' directory in there depending on where you're importing from, but basically the 'mods' directory from the original instance should wind up under '<MultiMC directory>\instances\<instance name>\minecraft\mods', for example.

This is correct. Just make a new plain instance then copy the mods/configs/etc stuff into that. Make sure to put forge on it though.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Halibut Barn posted:

Taffer posted:

It's not, and I wish it was, but mining every block and every log by hand just gets a little too tedious, I just have to have veinminer now. It'd be nice to do like a +10% mining time of every additional block or something, but whatever.

This is correct. Just make a new plain instance then copy the mods/configs/etc stuff into that. Make sure to put forge on it though.

Ah, alright. I was missing the Forge step. Thanks!

Sorus
Nov 6, 2007
caustic overtones

Light Gun Man posted:

The gems are also decent decorative blocks at least, too bad the promised land is so hosed up. Biggest problem I had with BoP was that there were too many similar biomes and the more interesting and useful ones were pretty rare.

http://biomesoplenty.wikia.com/wiki/Promised_Land

"As of Biomes o' Plenty version 717, the Promised Land is no longer in game, and many of the blocks contained there have been completely removed."

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Okay, guys, the platform is finally (more or less) stable. That was a rough 36 hours, I hope you stuck with us after that. As for adding stuff to the launcher- Serifina covered most of it, but I also wanted to point out that sticking just about anything into the search bar will get you an installed pack. Stick an API link in there (assuming the launcher somehow didn't auto-detect it), it'll pull up the pack. Stick a non-API link in there, it'll point you to the page the pack is on so you can do the above. Just clicking the "install this pack" thing in the platform will actually copy the API link to your clipboard and therefore install the pack.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Sorus posted:

http://biomesoplenty.wikia.com/wiki/Promised_Land

"As of Biomes o' Plenty version 717, the Promised Land is no longer in game, and many of the blocks contained there have been completely removed."

The blocks and items from there were cool, even the portal was cool, it was just those fuckin pixies man. They could have kept it if they would have just fixed the pixies.

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013
The 'Install this pack' is placed in a location where I assumed it was asking me to install whatever pack was highlighted and not the pack link in my clipboard

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Blind Duke posted:

The 'Install this pack' is placed in a location where I assumed it was asking me to install whatever pack was highlighted and not the pack link in my clipboard

poo poo, is that how it works? I thought it was supposed to be more intuitive than other launchers. What was wrong with a nice, understandable 'install new pack' button?

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

In the dungeon pack config, how does rarity work? The lower the more rare, or the higher the more rare? What is the highest number?

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I'm trying to understand the intricacies of molecular assembly in AE2 without having to watch 5 YouTube videos, so I figured I'd ask here. The molecular assembly chamber is gone, but I see the single-block molecular assemblers. What I have been seeing is placing interfaces on five sides, with the last side taking power. One then places patterns into the interfaces. Is there not a way to store and manipulate all the patterns from one place instead? How would I set that up?

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
nope, the molecular assembler requires interfaces to hold the patterns. however, a combination with project red piping and inventory interface could allow this? i don't think you can insert into the pattern slots from pipes but it might be possible.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I'm trying to understand the intricacies of molecular assembly in AE2 without having to watch 5 YouTube videos, so I figured I'd ask here. The molecular assembly chamber is gone, but I see the single-block molecular assemblers. What I have been seeing is placing interfaces on five sides, with the last side taking power. One then places patterns into the interfaces. Is there not a way to store and manipulate all the patterns from one place instead? How would I set that up?

Pattern interface

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
i looked that up because i hadn't seen it and have been doing poo poo manually but to be more accurate, http://ae-mod.info/ME-Interface-Terminal/

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

How do you actually get essentia into alchemical constructs? You can't just hook up a jar to it and you can't empty a phial into it.

Tsubasa2004
Feb 14, 2003
Gotta use tubes.

Remember that you can right click with the wand to remove pipe connections in an unintuitive manner. If you mess with it long enough and maybe use some valves to block stubborn connections you should be able to hook up 5 jars or so.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

In addition to my Dungeon Pack config questions, with regards to adding the Artifact mod to a modpack, there is a line in the config that says "crossModTreasureString_ProceeduralGeneration", which is for inter-mod treasure generation, and I am wondering if that setting is all that is required to get Artifact items to spawn randomly in chests that are in dungeons belonging to other mods (battle towers, roguelike dungeons, dungeon pack, etc.) or if more configuring needs to be done to the other mods themselves.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Ahh good I got the ME interface terminal up. I think I saw that on the Modderation server, after all.

While I was at it, I had to change my veinminer config from sneak to the actual key, after falling to my death three times after demolishing a bunch of leaves underneath me in a redwood tree.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Tsubasa2004 posted:

Gotta use tubes.

Remember that you can right click with the wand to remove pipe connections in an unintuitive manner. If you mess with it long enough and maybe use some valves to block stubborn connections you should be able to hook up 5 jars or so.

Yeah but jars have so much suction. How do you get it form the jar to the construct?

Danny Glands
Jan 26, 2013

Possible thermal failure (CPU on fire?)
What are the new dimensions for launcher images?

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Danny Glands posted:

What are the new dimensions for launcher images?

It tells you on the page you upload them.

Tsubasa2004
Feb 14, 2003

Ariong posted:

Yeah but jars have so much suction. How do you get it form the jar to the construct?

The Constructs have 128 suction when it's turned on - so you can hook it up like so (perditio not pictured, it's in back):

You turn it on by clicking on the desired product in the interface, so it gets a blue ring around it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
I havent played minecraft in forever, I used to play a little bit of FTB, is that still updated/is there anything similar thats up to date that I should download and play?

• Locked thread