Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Projects are just a way of justifying the purchase of tools you wanted to buy anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Galler posted:

Projects are just a way of justifying the purchase of tools you wanted to buy anyway.

I also have to buy more tools to fill empty space in the toolbox I just bought.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

fknlo posted:

I can finally lock and secure everything except my jacks. Got the top box for Christmas

Root Bear
Nov 15, 2004

DARKEST SKETCH
I got some cool stuff in my stocking this year too:

Finally one of these to call my own! I tried it on some random hardware I had laying around and I'm loving it already.

Mad Scientist-style Safety goggles with interchangeable lenses. I'm never buying another cheap pair, ever.

I don't have a picture yet, but I also got a pair of cargo work pants made out of fire hose canvas. The company dares you to wear them out, and I intend to do my damnedest.

Root Bear fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Dec 31, 2014

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Root Bear posted:

I don't have a picture yet, but I also got a a pair of cargo work pants made out of fire hose canvas. The company dares you to wear them out, and I intend to do my damnedest.

The way the crotch is stitched, the stitching in the crotch likes to come undone. I've had two pairs do that to me.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

SomethingOrAnother posted:

I did end up getting the kit. It went on sale and I jumped on it. Got it yesterday and the quality seems very nice. I like the color coded sockets for metric and SAE. My cousin is looking for a set as well, I will send him that link!

Nice! My kit doesn't have the colors for metric/SAE, so that must have been added after I got mine. I've definitely gotten my money's worth from them and I think they'll do you just fine.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
Definitely gonna need a link for those rad goggles.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
I know its been answered but I cant seem to find it. Whats the minimum size tank size to run air tools?

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

PaintVagrant posted:

I know its been answered but I cant seem to find it. Whats the minimum size tank size to run air tools?

As has been answered countless times: depends on tool and compressor.

I've run an impact gun off of a 35hp tow-behind, and I've tried to run a die grinder off a twin stack.

In all reality, if you want to run an air ratchet or impact gun, 30 gallon is pretty much the minimum for any sustained use. My eighty gallon isn't enough for running a sander or grinder for a long project without doing and letting it catch up once in a while. It'll run an impact or ratchet really nicely, thanks to the short bursts. When I sand blast, I borrow an 18 hp screw compressor so I don't run my electric at 100% duty cycle.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
Oops, I had edited my post to have more details but it apprently didn't save. Looking to run mostly just impact wrenches. So I'll look around for something in the 30+ gallon range. Thanks!

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
The only thing a 30 gallon can't do to well is sanding, which automatically puts you into the 80 gallon territory and as sharky said, your going to be running it close anyways.

To me though, I keep kicking the idea of a gas powered compressor, pretty much just keeping gas and tuned up would solve any air problems.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

I just bought a BluePoint smoke tester. Holy gently caress the fluid is expensive... And they sure do scare you into not using baby oil. What do I do?!

stinch
Nov 21, 2013

Uthor posted:

The motor on my mini quad copter broke and I'm going to try and fix it as practice. The thing is I need to desolder the old motor wires off a board that is about the size of a quarter.

A friend recommended I get a desoldering iron, but those seem to go for around $20 and the quad itself cost me $30, so it seems silly to spend so much to fix it.

I was perusing Amazon and saw "solder suckers" and desoldering wicks for under $5. That's much more reasonable for the use I'm going to get.

Any recommendation on what I actually want to buy and use?

No matter what you do get some flux. It's pretty much essential for working with lead free solder.

I prefer the desoldering wick / braid myself. Always be aware of how much heat you are putting into the part. It's easy to get everything too hot and lift the traces off the board. Sometimes it helps to add solder before you remove it as it helps heat up the whole joint so everything gets molten before being sucked up. Also if you are trying to clear out a hole you can push a component lead all the way through it and it will clear it. Lots of people keep the clipped off ends of resistors and so on for exactly that purpose.

Another method is to heat up the joint then whack the board against something. The board will stop suddenly but the molten solder will not and fly out. A much loved method on production lines as it's quick but obviously can break things.

stinch fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Dec 28, 2014

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

CountOfNowhere posted:

I just bought a BluePoint smoke tester. Holy gently caress the fluid is expensive... And they sure do scare you into not using baby oil. What do I do?!

Ha, what? First smoke tester I've ever heard of that didn't use baby oil.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
Anyone have a tool related gift suggestion for someone who already has everything? I'm looking for a belated Christmas present for my father in law, who buys wrecked cars and restores them for resale. Last year I bought him a Dewalt power caulking gun, but this year I'm out of ideas. I was thinking of a set of torque sticks but that's seeming kind of lame the more I think about it. Looking to spend $100 or less...

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

Geoj posted:

Anyone have a tool related gift suggestion for someone who already has everything? I'm looking for a belated Christmas present for my father in law, who buys wrecked cars and restores them for resale. Last year I bought him a Dewalt power caulking gun, but this year I'm out of ideas. I was thinking of a set of torque sticks but that's seeming kind of lame the more I think about it. Looking to spend $100 or less...

Well, just because he has everything does not mean it's quality. Maybe a new version of something he uses all the time?

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

Splizwarf posted:

Ha, what? First smoke tester I've ever heard of that didn't use baby oil.

It requires something called UltraTrace, it's supposed to not cause issues with evap canister charcoal. Look up how much a bottle of UltraTrace UV goes for...

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
I need a battery tender for a motorcycle that is going to sit for a couple months over the winter (there might be a couple warm days but it's going to sit a lot). What is a good brand of battery tender? I think I want a Deltran Battery Tender Plus but Google and Amazon just have not turned up any other brands, so I'm not sure if this is the right stuff or not.

A side note, I typically wait until the morning my car does not start to change the battery. Usually what happens is I am at work, and I get a call from the wife that she cant go to work due to her car not starting, and I run home to attach the jumper cables and take her car to Autozone where there tester always says the battery is toast and I invest in a new battery. This only happens about once every 3 years and I'm honestly not sure if I am buying car batteries the right way or not (and I honestly just don't want to go sperge all over car battery poo poo and invest in a $1000 battery that will last until the end of time. . .). My point is when the inevitable call comes from the wife, can I use the battery tender to tell her to go connect the wires, wait X minutes, and then start the car? Considering this might be a once every 3 year thing it's not a major selling point but I am just curious.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
I've read good things about these:
http://www.amazon.com/NOCO-G750-Ult...battery+charger

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all

Geoj posted:

One of these. Seriously an awesome tool for basically being a second set of hands on double fastener stuff in weird places.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Dannywilson posted:

One of these. Seriously an awesome tool for basically being a second set of hands on double fastener stuff in weird places.

I'm giving someone I know a set of those plus a pair of these screwdrivers. They look drat near indestructible, are full shank, and are meant to be treated the way they always say to not treat screwdrivers. They have a limited lifetime warranty, but I don't know how necessary it is or how easy it is to use, should it come to that.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Looks like I might not actually be able to get the top half of that DeWalt toolbox... They're apparently sold out in every store across KC and I was told that the one I saw when I bought the bottom half may have just been a display box. :sigh:

Root Bear
Nov 15, 2004

DARKEST SKETCH

Splizwarf posted:

Definitely gonna need a link for those rad goggles.

Here you go!

http://www.garrettwade.com/german-made-real-shop-safety-goggles/p/45A04.04/

I do recommend getting some kind of carrying case for the extra lenses, they don't come with one.

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!

Root Bear posted:

I don't have a picture yet, but I also got a a pair of cargo work pants made out of fire hose canvas. The company dares you to wear them out, and I intend to do my damnedest.

I love the heck out of my fire hose pants.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

thebigcow posted:

I love the heck out of my fire hose pants.

Are those as uncomfortable as they sound like they would be? They look pretty useful, but it's hard to imagine them being anything other than super stiff and starchy.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Speaking of Duluth...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=neqih4ImTpU

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

fknlo posted:

Looks like I might not actually be able to get the top half of that DeWalt toolbox... They're apparently sold out in every store across KC and I was told that the one I saw when I bought the bottom half may have just been a display box. :sigh:

I have a jumbled mess of tool boxes.... spray paint can work wonders if it bothers you that much.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
Zoro is having another 30% off same this morning only. No minimums, unlike last time.
Amazing prices on amerex fire extinguishers, proto, Miller, and Durham stuff, just to name a few.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Galler posted:

fknlo posted:

So if I buy tools to build my own toolboxes :iamafag:

Also, if anyone knows where to get those goggles in Europe or the UK that'd be great

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
All I can think of when I see those goggles is...

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

kastein posted:

You're not really dissuading me here....

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

kastein posted:

:hfive: glad I wasn't the only one.

Definitely going to have to pick up a pair of those and then exclaim "Great Scott!" whenever poo poo goes wrong.

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!

ExplodingSims posted:

Are those as uncomfortable as they sound like they would be? They look pretty useful, but it's hard to imagine them being anything other than super stiff and starchy.

No, they feel great. I liked it so much I bought some dad shorts in the same material and I'm not even a dad.

If you're in Wisconsin they have a few retail stores.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Got a cool as gently caress pen for my final Christmas present:

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
NERRRRRRRDS!

That is loving rad, mate. More of a bag/desk pen than a pocket pen, though. Looks like it'll catch on things.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Ha, when I get back to work I'll post a sorta-selfie of all the poo poo I carry on a normal day, that'll fit right in.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 209 days!)

Splizwarf posted:

That is loving rad, mate. More of a bag/desk pen than a pocket pen, though. Looks like it'll catch on things.

Did you ever hit Lowes? Will you ever get me the measurements for your feets? Will Louis Lane discover Peters' secret life? CONTINUED NEXT ISH!

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Is this some sort of fetish thing? Are you sure you meant to post this in the open forums?

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
Truly, I am the worst goon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nollij
Aug 30, 2006

Wait, wait, wait...

When did this happen?!?
I am sure this had already been talked about...

What is a quality portable air compressor in the $300 range? Preferably 10ish gallon, vertical.