Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pedestrian Xing
Jul 19, 2007

I'm looking for a tablet to watch movies and such on. Android and a 1080p screen are my only real requirements, it doesn't need to be terribly fast, and smaller is better. I was looking at the Samsung Galaxy tab 4 7" and the Asus memo pad 7", suggestions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
Both of the tablets you have listed have 1280x800 screens.

If you want a 7" 1080p device, the Nexus 7 2013 has one of the best displays you can find, plus guaranteed updates helps as well. The only wrinkle is that you can't get it off the google store anymore, but there are still options. You can find manufacturer refurbs for pretty cheap, or just grab a new one off Amazon for closer to retail price.

32GB refurb for $185 <-- I bought one from here a week ago and it's legit.

16GB New @ $175 / 32GB New @ $250

e: I will say that at watching movies on a 7" is a little more cramped than I thought it'd be, but considering how portable it's not a bad tradeoff.

Hace fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Dec 22, 2014

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
The MeMO Pad 7 ME572C has a 1920x1200 screen. It also has an SD slot. About the only thing I can see that it really lacks over the Nexus 7 is integrated QI charging. If you're in the UK you can get them for £150 from John Lewis until the 4th of January.

I'm probably going to order one in the next couple of days, if there's any particular reason to get a Nexus 7 instead I'd love to hear it before I shell out.

harmless_fun
Sep 25, 2007

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

The MeMO Pad 7 ME572C has a 1920x1200 screen. It also has an SD slot. About the only thing I can see that it really lacks over the Nexus 7 is integrated QI charging. If you're in the UK you can get them for £150 from John Lewis until the 4th of January.

I'm probably going to order one in the next couple of days, if there's any particular reason to get a Nexus 7 instead I'd love to hear it before I shell out.

I'm probably going to pick up one of these today. It is on sale right now in the US for $150.

I've read that some people have had trouble with the stock keyboard (it plays sounds at the wrong time and looks like lag), but it's not like there's not other keyboards available. I was able to play with a display model for a few minutes and its keyboard was fine.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Yeah I had heard the same. When I tried it in my local John Lewis it seemed as responsive as my brother's Nexus 7. He concurred.

Pedestrian Xing
Jul 19, 2007

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

Think I'll go with one of these, thanks. Best buy of all places has them on sale for $150 in store.

harmless_fun
Sep 25, 2007
Take a Best Buy moving coupon (from the post office) with you. It will take off 10%.

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus
I'm looking to get a tablet for help with my grad school stuff. I have to read hundreds of pages every week, and even with printing 4 pages to a sheet of paper it's still a lot of paper and trash, and it can get heavy when I have to carry textbooks around as well.

I'm an iPhone user, and am going to be upgrading to the 6 when the 64gb version shows up here in Korea, so I'm probably looking at something within the iOS family.

The question is, what would be best? A mini? An iPad Air? The Air 2? Prices are comparable to US prices, although a little more expensive after exchange rates.

I'm primarily going to be using it for reading, with possibly some movies and games when I'm traveling.

All versions will easily fit into the bag I carry, so it basically boils down to preference and readability, I guess.

Which iPad would be suit me? I don't really have a budget limit, but if I don't need to pay 700 dollars I'd rather not.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
The iPad Air 2 screen size is closer to the size of a sheet of paper. For your needs, I'd recommend it. That said, buy it from somewhere that has a no questions asked return policy. If it's too big, or otherwise isn't doing it for you, try the mini (or you could buy the mini first and return that if it doesn't suit you). At any rate, the Air 2 is absolutely the best tablet on the market right now.

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus

Jose Oquendo posted:

The iPad Air 2 screen size is closer to the size of a sheet of paper. For your needs, I'd recommend it. That said, buy it from somewhere that has a no questions asked return policy. If it's too big, or otherwise isn't doing it for you, try the mini (or you could buy the mini first and return that if it doesn't suit you). At any rate, the Air 2 is absolutely the best tablet on the market right now.

The Air 2 is definitely what I want, but the 64gb is 720 dollars here. The Mini 2 32gb (no point in the Mini 3, as I don't care about touch ID) is 420 dollars. That 300 dollar difference is what is giving me pause. And there is pretty much nowhere with a return policy on the iPad here, as far as I know. There are no Apple stores, and just a few authorized retailers.

Edit: What is it that makes an Air 2 worth 200 dollars than an Air 1? I can get an Air 1 for 540, which is around the price point that seems good for me.

cryptoclastic fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Dec 23, 2014

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

cryptoclastic posted:

The Air 2 is definitely what I want, but the 64gb is 720 dollars here. The Mini 2 32gb (no point in the Mini 3, as I don't care about touch ID) is 420 dollars. That 300 dollar difference is what is giving me pause. And there is pretty much nowhere with a return policy on the iPad here, as far as I know. There are no Apple stores, and just a few authorized retailers.

Edit: What is it that makes an Air 2 worth 200 dollars than an Air 1? I can get an Air 1 for 540, which is around the price point that seems good for me.

A generation newer SoC, which is much faster.

Most importantly though, 2GB of ram, which radically improves the OS usage everywhere, especially if you browse often or intensively.

The fact that the extra GB of ram costs apple only a few dollars makes this horrifically annoying.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

cryptoclastic posted:

Since you're mostly wanting to use it for reading, just get the Air 1.

MidasAg
Oct 28, 2007
The Man of Silver
I've been thinking of getting a tablet for general use(browsing the web, games, comics, books, apps, etc), as I have a lot of down time at work, and such. I want to get one from T-Mobile, as we currently have service through them, and I can get matching data, plus 200MB a month for life if we ever leave. I was interested in the Galaxy Tab S 10.5, but a lot of people are claiming it stutters, and is rather slow for its specs. I wouldn't mind an iPad, but i use android for phones, so I would have a lot of games and such that would transfer right over. Plus iPads start to get rather expensive when you add memory, etc.

I guess I'm asking, is the Tab S that bad, or is Nexus 9 that much better, and why? What's the personal use story you have? or should I just bite the bullet, pay the premium for an iPad, and re-buy a lot of apps? I'm really kind of lost at this point.

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

Say something hideous and horrible jumps out at you. Something so disgusting that it simply must die.
Ah! Oh!..So tacky! I can't...look...directly at it!

MidasAg posted:

I've been thinking of getting a tablet for general use(browsing the web, games, comics, books, apps, etc), as I have a lot of down time at work, and such. I want to get one from T-Mobile, as we currently have service through them, and I can get matching data, plus 200MB a month for life if we ever leave.
You can add an outside tablet to T-Mobile and still get the $10 data matching and 200 megs for life setup, so don't feel like you have to buy from them. They won't let you insure through them if you don't though.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Looking for something above 7" screen, prefer 10.1. Doesn't need to be newest model but needs to at least play hearthstone smoothly. Not sure on OS but need to be able to ssh to an Ubuntu system and maybe edit text over it if possible. One that can have a keyboard attachment is good, but don't think I want a windows one. I'm not particularly limited on money but don't want to overpay so expecting to get probably one model behind current one whatever line. Any suggestions?

No plans on getting a mobile data plan since school wifi extends most places I go so it's not a factor

Evrart Claire fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Dec 27, 2014

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

You want some sort of ultrabook.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
How's the price range on a good one of those? Realistically I have about $1000 to work with ( was expecting the nexus 9 to be about the upper end I was looking at). Anything over 500 though I expect to last me at least 3-4 years before I feel like I'd need to replace it. Also are those fairly lightweight for lying in bed reading with?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Zerilan posted:

How's the price range on a good one of those? Realistically I have about $1000 to work with ( was expecting the nexus 9 to be about the upper end I was looking at). Anything over 500 though I expect to last me at least 3-4 years before I feel like I'd need to replace it. Also are those fairly lightweight for lying in bed reading with?

Get a nice ultrabook or macbook for productivity, get a cheap Nexus 7 or iPad mini. for lying in bed reading and web browsing. I don't think you will do any type of coding in bed.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Don't know much about ultrabooks in terms of os's. Are they closer to tablets or Mac pcs in having a set os or can I put xubuntu on one

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Zerilan posted:

Don't know much about ultrabooks in terms of os's. Are they closer to tablets or Mac pcs in having a set os or can I put xubuntu on one

Ultrabook is just a fancy term for thin, lightweight laptop. Examples are Macbook Air and Lenovo Thinkpad X1 Carbon.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Got any suggestions on what the best sub $1000 models are? Not a fan of Mac stuff generally.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Zerilan posted:

Got any suggestions on what the best sub $1000 models are? Not a fan of Mac stuff generally.

Honestly? None. With the exception of Apple, all OEMs are in a race to the bottom to see who can poo poo out the biggest turd. Since you want Ubuntu, the OS on the device shouldn't matter too much. With Apple, you get easily the best build quality and some of the best support in the industry. My goon brother who is a Linux admin loving hates Apple but loves his Macbook w/ Retina.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Might take a look at the MacBooks at best buy or something first to be able to look at one closer. I really like how the Intel ultrabooks are lightweight, can fold up and have touchscreen. All the coding I do is going to compile and run on my desktop, so I just need ssh ability and being able to run gedit or another text editor.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

In that case, you could get a lower end surface pro 3. Swing by the Windows 8.1 tablets thread for other recommendations, I know someone in that thread earlier threw some kind of Linux onto an SP3.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Starting to think I just really need to take a trip to best buy so I can also see the size/weight of some of them too first hand. If I end up with a MacBook, what would be a cheaper option if I still also want something I can sit in bed and play hearthstone on.

Edit: actually, how are people's experiences with the newer asus t100/200's?

Evrart Claire fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Dec 27, 2014

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

FYI, I didn't listen to all you guys when I was shopping for a tablet about a year ago. Everyone said Nexus 7 2012 or 2013. I poked at the 2013 at Best Buy and I hated it. I dug the Samsung line but didn't want to pay for it. I ended up getting and Asus Memo pad 10 off Groupon for $180 shipped, which was about $20-30 more than the 2012s were going for at the time. When I checked out the model number, it said the guts were pretty much the same as the Nexus 7 2012. I've been super happy with it ever since.

I guess my point is check Groupon to see if they have any deals.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
After looking around a bit, really interested in the asus t200 with 4gb in the $400-500 range and the yoga 2 pro 8gb in the $1000ish range. Anyone have good/bad experiences with either?

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Zerilan posted:

After looking around a bit, really interested in the asus t200 with 4gb in the $400-500 range and the yoga 2 pro 8gb in the $1000ish range. Anyone have good/bad experiences with either?

Yoga 2 Pro is quite good, but it is very much a laptop. If you want something to use as a tablet very often, a Surface Pro 3 would be better. That said, it is a very good laptop. Software support for its high resolution screen has improved. The two downsides are a smaller than normal right shift key (I mostly got used to it, but I wish Lenovo would stop loving with keyboards) and battery life that isn't as good as it could be (realistically, 5-8 hours depending on workload and screen brightness). Both are pretty small nitpicks from my point of view, as the keyboard is otherwise good and that battery life is totally fine for me, but they might be bigger issues for you.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
At the price a good surface pro 3 or yoga 2 is I'm fine I think with it being more of a laptop as long as it's fairly lightweight and has a quick boot time. Main concern I have on the yoga 2 is how easy it is to keep the insides relatively dust free. Worried about overheating issues down the line.

I figure if nothing else I can still get a cheap 2012 n7 later if I want something to lie in bed and read with

http://www.amazon.com/Lenovo-I7-4500U-Convertiable-Ultrabook-3200x1800/dp/B00H6U5AG6

This is the yoga 2 model I've been looking at

Evrart Claire fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Dec 27, 2014

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Zerilan posted:

At the price a good surface pro 3 or yoga 2 is I'm fine I think with it being more of a laptop as long as it's fairly lightweight and has a quick boot time. Main concern I have on the yoga 2 is how easy it is to keep the insides relatively dust free. Worried about overheating issues down the line.

I figure if nothing else I can still get a cheap 2012 n7 later if I want something to lie in bed and read with

http://www.amazon.com/Lenovo-I7-4500U-Convertiable-Ultrabook-3200x1800/dp/B00H6U5AG6

Boot time is quite quick, it has an SSD after all. That's the model I have, though I got it direct from Lenovo around the time of release. Keep an eye out for Lenovo deals, I got it for $1200 near release, so I imagine you can find a better deal on one than that with the Yoga 3 out now. Maybe with the Barnes & Noble Gold thing or an edu discount, you could get a better deal right now. You should ask in the recommend a laptop thread though, they'll be more up to date than me.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
I'll take a look around, but I've also been seeing reviews that the yoga 3 isn't much of an upgrade over the newest yoga 2 models. I think it's also a pound heavier. I'll check for edu discounts though since my college uses b&n as their official book store

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

Zerilan posted:

Dust buildup shouldn't be a concern with a modern ultraportable, assuming you don't smoke. Fans in these systems are more like an insurance policy against overheating - they barely even move during normal use. If you do plan to do something that will regularly get the fans screaming, then you're out of the ultraportable market anyway.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Eh, just some gaming use but nothing more intensive than hearthstone or league of legends. I have a home desktop sufficient for anything really intensive.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Zerilan posted:

I'll take a look around, but I've also been seeing reviews that the yoga 3 isn't much of an upgrade over the newest yoga 2 models. I think it's also a pound heavier. I'll check for edu discounts though since my college uses b&n as their official book store

Nah, it's a weird online discount program. Google it and/or check the laptop thread for more info. I think it saves you at least 10% off listed prices at Lenovo.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Jose Oquendo posted:

Honestly? None. With the exception of Apple, all OEMs are in a race to the bottom to see who can poo poo out the biggest turd. Since you want Ubuntu, the OS on the device shouldn't matter too much. With Apple, you get easily the best build quality and some of the best support in the industry. My goon brother who is a Linux admin loving hates Apple but loves his Macbook w/ Retina.

Goon bro here. You specifically said ssh and Ubuntu so you are already a Linux guy. That said a Macbook is what you want. OSX for desktops is what GNOME wants to be when it grows up. It plays so much nicer with Linux servers because it already has a bash shell and vi and all that work on it. For the record I hate windows and osx. I used an Ubuntu laptop for a long time but got tired of janitoring it. Get a cheap macbook. You can snatch one for under $1000 and then get a Nexus 7 2013 for you bed tablet needs.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

RVProfootballer posted:

Nah, it's a weird online discount program. Google it and/or check the laptop thread for more info. I think it saves you at least 10% off listed prices at Lenovo.

Still pondering a MacBook but I really like having a touchscreen on something portable even if it's a little bulky. Lenovo currently has their $1499 8gb i7 yoga 2 pros on a post Christmas mark down to $999 and it's my current leading candidate. I'll still have enough left for a refurbished n7 to read on.

jadeddrifter
Feb 18, 2014

Zerilan posted:

Still pondering a MacBook but I really like having a touchscreen on something portable even if it's a little bulky. Lenovo currently has their $1499 8gb i7 yoga 2 pros on a post Christmas mark down to $999 and it's my current leading candidate. I'll still have enough left for a refurbished n7 to read on.

I have a yoga 2 pro and bought my wife the yoga pro 11. They are great. We love them.

ExplodingChef
May 25, 2005

Deathscorts are the true American heroes.
Someone on CL near me selling a Nexus 10 16gb for 100 bucks. Wouldn't mind upgrading from my old HP Touchpad. Would primarily use it for reading in bed, some gaming (hearthstone would be about the most taxing thing, I'd think), and possibly some movie watching in bed. Worth the impulse pickup? My biggest concern is the lack of expandable memory, but I doubt I'd be throwing a bunch of movies or music on it.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

ExplodingChef posted:

Someone on CL near me selling a Nexus 10 16gb for 100 bucks. Wouldn't mind upgrading from my old HP Touchpad. Would primarily use it for reading in bed, some gaming (hearthstone would be about the most taxing thing, I'd think), and possibly some movie watching in bed. Worth the impulse pickup? My biggest concern is the lack of expandable memory, but I doubt I'd be throwing a bunch of movies or music on it.

Nexus 10 has held up quite well. That is an easy decision to upgrade, especially since you can sell the Touchpad to offset much of the cost. I'd definitely take it over any recent non-flagship recent tablet, and probably over many of the current flagships. Screen is great, battery is good, and performance is good (certainly way better than your Touchpad). For any price under like $200, I would easily recommend it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jadeddrifter
Feb 18, 2014

I have a otterbox commuter wallet. It is for the S5. But it is great. I think they make it for the iphone too.