Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I think a Mel Brooks Great Lakes Avengers would be pretty swell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

CzarChasm posted:

Mel Brooks to write, direct and star in Deadpool movie. Pre-order your tickets now

You know, I said this as a joke, but if you took all the goofy stupid stuff from Blazing Saddles, Robin Hood MIT, Spaceballs and HOTW pt1, threw it in a blender and gave it a coat of red and black paint, you might have a decent Deadpool movie.

gently caress...I really want to see that.

Also Mel has an awesome twitter account.
My brother Lenny wrote “Happy Hannukah Hitler” on one of the bombs he dropped from his B17 Flying Fortress in WWII #AVeryMelHannukah

— Mel Brooks (@MelBrooks) December 21, 2014

https://twitter.com/MelBrooks/status/546769369196285953

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
I'm just picturing all the goofy, off the wall scenes from Mel Brooks movies that would fit in a Deadpool theme
-Notching six arrows on a bow and firing them so they pin a guy to a tree
-Having to zoom in on a picture of DP killing some guy, and you see another DP waaay in the background, giving the finger
-Having an alien bust out of some guy's chest and then have it do a song and dance routine. Tell me you can't see it with a deadpool mask on now.

The Action Man posted:

I would love to watch Deadpool chase the villain of his movie through a screening of his movie.

Exactly.

It doesn't have to be Mel Brooks behind it, but that is the kind of humor that would work for deadpool. It wouldn't get old too fast, but it has that element of random WTF to it.

If you want kind of funny, goofy, silly mixed with semi-serious action, how about Bill Zane in Demon Knight? He's an rear end in a top hat, he quips, he heals fast, and he has bizarre superpowers, including an impromptu dance number.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGeAEE1A2T0

My favorite part starts at about 7:11 and goes for about a minute - minus the bad jump cut. He's more annoyed that he lost a par of sunglasses than getting stabbed in the eye.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

More Sony Spider-Man e-mail hillariousness.

This is Drew Goddard writing to Amy Pascal in June on how they're going to pitch playing Sandman in Sinister Six over Dr. Strange to Tom Hardy

Drew Goddard posted:

I/m gonna write him up a note this weekend. But, off the top of my head, some possible talking points are:

- We're doing something different - it's time to celebrate the bad guys for once.
-We're inspired by the classic team/mission of movies: Dirty Dozen, Magnificent Seven, Guns of Navarone. We want that spirit, that SWAGGER.
- If the Spider-Man franchiseis the Beatles, then we're the Sex Pistols.
-Flint Marco is gonna steal the show.
-The character is pure id - the anarchic enthusiast of the team. A chance to have FUN while celebrating being bad.
-Tom embodies that anarchy, that triumphant nihilism - we've seen him tap into that spirit before in roles like Bronson, but now we have the chance to crank the volume up to ELEVEN.
-He's gonna storm through London at the end like God-f***ing-zilla. That is not purple prose. He'sgoing to be AS TALL AS A SKYSCRAPER in the third act of the movie. What does Dr. Strange have? Magic tricks? [frick] you, magic tricks - we've got a skyscraper Tom Hardy knocking down buildings!!!!

Why does Sony seem intent on making Sandman into some kind of giant sand monster? They already did that in Spider-Man 3 and it wasn't good. I don't recall it happening that often in the comics either.

Also these e-mails seem to indicate that they've thrown away the assumed Sinister Six Lineup that ASM2 teased (Goblin, Electro, Rhino, Kraven, Ock, Vulture)

Dacap fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Dec 24, 2014

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
It's funny that the first three points could basically have been used to sell him on Suicide Squad.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

It really is just message board trolls with million dollar salaries.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

The Dave posted:

It really is just message board trolls with million dollar salaries.

Well, it is the guy who directed TV Tropes the Movie.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

fatherboxx posted:

Well, it is the guy who directed TV Tropes the Movie.

I didn't think Whedon was involved in any of this?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Drew Goddard directed Cabin in the Woods.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
My mistake.

I was halfway there, anyway.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

CzarChasm posted:

If you want kind of funny, goofy, silly mixed with semi-serious action, how about Bill Zane in Demon Knight? He's an rear end in a top hat, he quips, he heals fast, and he has bizarre superpowers, including an impromptu dance number.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGeAEE1A2T0

My favorite part starts at about 7:11 and goes for about a minute - minus the bad jump cut. He's more annoyed that he lost a par of sunglasses than getting stabbed in the eye.
That or Beetlejuice

DrPaper
Aug 29, 2011

Dacap posted:

Also these e-mails seem to indicate that they've thrown away the assumed Sinister Six Lineup that ASM2 teased (Goblin, Electro, Rhino, Kraven, Ock, Vulture)

All these e-mails seem to indicate that they've thrown away everything that ASM2 teased, set-up or even just contained.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

DrPaper posted:

All these e-mails seem to indicate that they've thrown away everything that ASM2 teased, set-up or even just contained.

It's a Christmas miracle!

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

Sarchasm posted:

It's a Christmas miracle!

Truly Zuzu if mankind has finally seen the whole of the Amazing Spider-man movies with eyes unclouded tis' a Christmas miracle indeed.

Oh come all yee faithful
they were both hot garbage
boring and plodding
with scripts both sub-par

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
We wish they had done better,
We wish they performed better,
Now we think we know better,
And we'll reboot next year

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Dacap posted:

Why does Sony seem intent on making Sandman into some kind of giant sand monster? They already did that in Spider-Man 3 and it wasn't good. I don't recall it happening that often in the comics either.

What? Peter and Harry teaming up to fight giant Sandman was one of the few legitimately great parts of that movie.

And it's kind of the natural endpoint for any series of battles involving Sandman. I'm pretty sure it actually does happen in the comics relatively frequently, though I don't see why that should even enter into things.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I think I just don't like that when he's in giant mode he turns into a mindless, roaring monster. Turning giant worked as a boss battle, but I would've preferred he retained his ability to speak.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

The natural endpoint to any Sandman fight:

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Wouldn't he just be able to break out of the vacuum cleaner? It's not like hes sucking him into the phantom zone

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
Not unless the vacuum cleaner was designed by Reed Richards.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Away all Goats posted:

Wouldn't he just be able to break out of the vacuum cleaner? It's not like hes sucking him into the phantom zone

It's all mental. Being sucked into a household vacuum cleaner is too depressing to continue fighting.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Cnut the Great posted:

What? Peter and Harry teaming up to fight giant Sandman was one of the few legitimately great parts of that movie.
That was such a loving stupid part of an already criminally mindless movie.

Because 10 minutes later the giant loving monster man that was pounding the poo poo out of Spidey gets all emo about his daughter and everything is forgiven.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

FilthyImp posted:

That was such a loving stupid part of an already criminally mindless movie.

Because 10 minutes later the giant loving monster man that was pounding the poo poo out of Spidey gets all emo about his daughter and everything is forgiven.

"Your actions directly led to my mentally ill friend being mortally wounded, but I forgive you. Oh poo poo, I should probably go check on him, huh!"

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Lurdiak posted:

"Your actions directly led to my mentally ill friend being mortally wounded, but I forgive you. Oh poo poo, I should probably go check on him, huh!"

"By the way, I know there's this publisher who would pay an obscene amount of money if someone told him who Spider-Man is and you need money for your kid and you know who I really am but uh...."

Old Man Pants
Nov 22, 2010

Strippers are people too!

Dacap posted:

A. No idea, because literally no one I know of cares about the spider man sandman as a villain.
B. It happened a couple times but sandman is easily defeated by a vacuum cleaner as shown above
C. Sony is super stupid when it comes to managing it's spider man IP license. They had two ok movies with Toby, and were like "ok now shove Venom into the plot in a way that is inaccurate/doesn't make sense!" and Raimi basically said "fine, but I'm going to do it horribly". Then they rebooted ASM, had one good film and were like "We have to create a multiverse out of this ASAP" and ASM2 happened.

As much as everyone would like to see a sinister 6 movie, no one is going to like a sinister 6 movie that is put out by the current idiots in charge. Were they smart, they'd give the 90's fans ( a decent majority of the superhero moviegoing public these days) a not terrible symbiote storyline. Give me Brock as Venom and Cletus as Carnage and you'd have a huge hit. Instead they are trying to focus on characters that no one who read comics past the 70's cares about. Doc Ock was good, Lizard was good, no one cares about The Vulture or the worst Hobgoblin or Sandman or the Goblin that covered an incredible actors face for all the villain moments. They literally cannot figure out how to get the series right, which is where Marvel is spanking them so hard, they prob have execs literally browbeating scriptwriters with "You better come up with something that makes Avengers money or you're fired!" every hour on the hour like J Jonah Jameson.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Old Man Pants posted:

They literally cannot figure out how to get the series right, which is where Marvel is spanking them so hard, they prob have execs literally browbeating scriptwriters with "You better come up with something that makes Avengers money or you're fired!" every hour on the hour like J Jonah Jameson.

'WE NEED PICTURES*! PICTURES OF SPIDER-MAN!'

But seriously, don't drag JJJ into this, he was at least competent at running his own business.

*referring in this case to the old-timey slang for films.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Old Man Pants posted:

Were they smart, they'd give the 90's fans ( a decent majority of the superhero moviegoing public these days)
I don't necessarily disagree with all of your points about the films, but this isn't even slightly true.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Yeah I guess that was probably truer 10 years ago.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Old Man Pants posted:

They literally cannot figure out how to get the series right, which is where Marvel is spanking them so hard, they prob have execs literally browbeating scriptwriters with "You better come up with something that makes Avengers money or you're fired!" every hour on the hour like J Jonah Jameson.

Marvel directed this movie in a cave! With a box of scraps!

Old Man Pants
Nov 22, 2010

Strippers are people too!

AnonSpore posted:

Marvel directed this movie in a cave! With a box of scraps!

"Let's do a movie about Aunt May!"

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Oh hey. Vin Diesel.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

Here's some official Ant man promo art featuring our first look at Yellowjacket.

It looks like they haven't made any real changes to the Ant Man suit since the proof of concept teaser video, I'm pretty surprised they kept his face that covered.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
The costumes looK cool. I'd enjoy seeing a Beetle Borg take on Thanos.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

We should be getting a trailer this week so I'm curious to see how it looks without Wright's direction

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Dacap posted:

We should be getting a trailer this week so I'm curious to see how it looks without Wright's direction

I'd guess next week with the Agent Carter premiere, actually, but could be sooner than that.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Barry Convex posted:

I'd guess next week with the Agent Carter premiere, actually, but could be sooner than that.

Most likely this week with the inevitable leak.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Dacap posted:

Here's some official Ant man promo art featuring our first look at Yellowjacket.

It looks like they haven't made any real changes to the Ant Man suit since the proof of concept teaser video, I'm pretty surprised they kept his face that covered.

Well, they proved you could do a full face mask with Iron Man, so maybe this will do something similar with it sliding out of the way/interior shots of his face during battles.

Uatu The Lurker
Sep 14, 2003

I can say no more!
Already I have over stayed my time in this ephemeral sphere!
It'll inevitably work like Tony's visor coming up, or Star Lord's mask folding away or whatever. 90% of the concept art for GotG leading up to it had SL with his full mask on, and in the actual movie he's got it on for all of a handful of scenes.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

I want this movie to be an exact compromise between iron man and honey I shrunk the kids. I don't know if anything less will satisfy me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

Ignite Memories posted:

I want this movie to be an exact compromise between iron man and honey I shrunk the kids. I don't know if anything less will satisfy me.

That's like a bad 90s VHS cover tagline

"It's Iron Man Meets... Honey, I Shrunk The Kids!"
-Toledo Sun Weekly

• Locked thread