Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zaepho
Oct 31, 2013

Lord Dudeguy posted:

YAY I RUN A GOOD SHOP :neckbeard:

Yes, learn 2012 R2. For as much as they changed the frontend and people are terrified of change, they really did do some mighty deeds on the backend services.

Notable improvements that I deployed right out the gate as soon as I upgraded:

DHCP policies, filters, dynamic failover
File Services deduplication

DHCP Failover/Load Balancing is loving fantastic! Overwhelmingly I find that it "just works". Something that's been needed for years and it's finally delivered. Also it's moronically easy to setup.

Also, definitely learn 2012/2012R2. The vast majority of the information about the services it provides is going to be applicable back to 2008/2008R2. The basics of DHCP, DNS, AD, File Shares, Group Policy, etc don't really change significantly from version to version. Learn how to work with them and what they do/how they work and you'll be in a good spot whatever the specific server version is.

Also, learn powershell. No longer must you be laughed at by Unix SYSAdmins who script their entire jobs. You may now laugh at them for having to parse text constantly while you pass objects around between scripts/functions!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

joe944 posted:

I'm pretty sure we got the same Verizon chocolates. Did it come in a massive container with like 60 of them and little plastic covers around the individual chocolates?

Maybe I only got the half size portion (:argh:). It was about 30 of them, little squares arranged in a box. A few different logos or designs on them, and some kind of sugary filling.

Working in IT 3.0: Corporate Candy Chat

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Question for the thread,

Aside the lack of hardware support (nvidia) are there any technical limitations why more games couldn't be run on linux?

Zaepho
Oct 31, 2013

Tab8715 posted:

Question for the thread,

Aside the lack of hardware support (nvidia) are there any technical limitations why more games couldn't be run on linux?

most current games are being written using DirectX under the hood. DirectX doesn't really exist on Linux except through 3rd party "Not-An-Emulator" software that typically lags behind in feature support. Plus the game developers aren't focusing on cross platform support so they do various things that may not be cross compatible.

At least that's my general understanding.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Tab8715 posted:

Question for the thread,

I'm going to guess developers don't want to use different APIs for graphics for one. For the most part, studios are going to overwhelmingly go with DirectX rather than doing an OpenGL port as well. And Nvidia does have hardware support, but it usually lags and is a binary blob which is anathema for most Linux users.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Didn't at one point games in Windows run though OpenGL on Windows?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Tab8715 posted:

I think so, back in the 3dfx glory days, but that was when they were still basically DOS games with a Win95/98 launcher. I could be wrong.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

OpenGL is less popular in gaming than it used to be, but it's still out there. There's an incomplete list of notable apps that use OpenGL on Wikipedia. Any game with a Mac port uses it pretty much by definition since D3D doesn't exist over there.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
OpenGL only covers the graphics, naturally enough. Plenty of games use OpenGL for graphics and then use Direct(other things) for other subsystems meaning they're still hard to port.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Zaepho posted:

Also, learn powershell. No longer must you be laughed at by Unix SYSAdmins who script their entire jobs. You may now laugh at them for having to parse text constantly while you pass objects around between scripts/functions!

I love how the Learn Powershell in a Month of Lunches book pretty much says "Learning how to regex means you're great at regexing and nothing else."

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I'm pretty new to linux stuff, is that really what regex is all about? Finding ways to transform the text output of other commands into something usable?

mewse
May 2, 2006

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I'm pretty new to linux stuff, is that really what regex is all about? Finding ways to transform the text output of other commands into something usable?

Regexes are like this black hole where they become the hammer that you try to nail everything with

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Methanar fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Aug 6, 2016

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

It's the ability to transform or capture data into usable data by way of line noise. It's cool, I speak regexp.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Not other commands, any text. Like if you have a log file with a berjillion entries and you want to find every instance of "Wakka wakka" followed by 47 characters followed by a date, you can write a regular expression that describes that pattern. The patterns can get as complex as you'd ever want.

The problem is that the syntax is heinous and you can very very easily write a regular expression that almost matches what you want, or matches what you want and other things you don't want, and it's not always apparent where the problem is or even that there's a problem at all. They're also very hard to read, if say you need to go back and change a regexp you wrote a while ago or just figure out one that someone else wrote.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

What's a real world scenario or example where you'd use regex?

Earl of Lavender
Jul 29, 2007

This is not my beautiful house!!

This is not my beautiful wife!!!
Pillbug

Tab8715 posted:

Field validation, i.e. checking whether an email address is valid or not. There's a notorious regex, like, a page long, used for checking email addresses to make sure they're actually email addresses. Really, any situation where you need to match some sort of pattern is something that regex can conceivably be used for. Personally, the one time I've used regex was to strip 'http://' or 'https://' from the starts of URLs, while leaving any URLs without a scheme (immediately beginning with 'www.domain.com', etc) intact.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

Earl of Lavender posted:

Field validation, i.e. checking whether an email address is valid or not. There's a notorious regex, like, a page long, used for checking email addresses to make sure they're actually email addresses. Really, any situation where you need to match some sort of pattern is something that regex can conceivably be used for. Personally, the one time I've used regex was to strip 'http://' or 'https://' from the starts of URLs, while leaving any URLs without a scheme (immediately beginning with 'www.domain.com', etc) intact.

I can't count how many times I've used text substitution. You don't need to be a genius at it but man it saves so much time.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

Tab8715 posted:

Log parsing and input field validation and scrubbing come to mind.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Earl of Lavender posted:

There's a notorious regex, like, a page long, used for checking email addresses to make sure they're actually email addresses.

This one? http://www.ex-parrot.com/~pdw/Mail-RFC822-Address.html

It should be noted however that this is the abusive edge case, so you know, don't let it put you off if you're interested. Regular expressions can be real useful.

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf
I once asked a co-worker to write out some regex for me while he was phone posting.

It didn't work :(

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

"Some people, when confronted with a problem, think "I know, I'll use regular expressions." Now they have two problems." - jwz

Regexes are pretty confusing when you first start with them, but definitely worth learning if you write any amount of script or code that parses text. They're just ridiculously powerful.

Heck, you don't even have to write code to run into use cases. Most nontrivial Apache configs will have them embedded in rewrite rules or ACLs as one example off the top of my head.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Methanar posted:

Did anyone else get nailed with fixing family computers this Christmas?

I took it upon myself to GPO my mom out of internet explorer 8(!), gave her chrome, gave her the xkcd flow chart and set up regular backups of her pictures to a secondary hard drive.

The next time you go home she will have installed mcafee bloat ware and aol.

A couple years ago we bought my father in law a new laptop to replace his early 2000s IBM think pad. Guess which one he still used?

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

We had to use them quite a bit on F5 ASMs to write custom content validation rules. Huge pain in the rear end.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Docjowles posted:

"Some people, when confronted with a problem, think "I know, I'll use regular expressions." Now they have two problems." - jwz

Regexes are pretty confusing when you first start with them, but definitely worth learning if you write any amount of script or code that parses text. They're just ridiculously powerful.

Heck, you don't even have to write code to run into use cases. Most nontrivial Apache configs will have them embedded in rewrite rules or ACLs as one example off the top of my head.

Notepad++ can use them to search/replace in files too. No lie, they're probably top five in the list of things you don't know but probably ought to learn.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Tab8715 posted:

Before DirectX you had stuff like WinG.

meanieface
Mar 27, 2012

During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.

stubblyhead posted:

Notepad++ can use them to search/replace in files too. No lie, they're probably top five in the list of things you don't know but probably ought to learn.

I like to paste in a string of files separated by new lines and replace (.*)/r/n with my command that needs done to the file where /1 is where the file name goes. It's nice.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Zaepho posted:

DHCP Failover/Load Balancing is loving fantastic! Overwhelmingly I find that it "just works". Something that's been needed for years and it's finally delivered. Also it's moronically easy to setup.

Also, definitely learn 2012/2012R2. The vast majority of the information about the services it provides is going to be applicable back to 2008/2008R2. The basics of DHCP, DNS, AD, File Shares, Group Policy, etc don't really change significantly from version to version. Learn how to work with them and what they do/how they work and you'll be in a good spot whatever the specific server version is.

Please don't run a DHCP server on Windows, use your L3 switch or router.

Also you might as well learn 2012 because one important point is that a Server 2012 R2 Datacenter license and unlimited client CALs is built into the cost of spinning up a virtual server on Windows Azure, Microsoft's cloud service. I got the 1 month Azure trial and spun up 2012 servers and created a domain and joined PCs to it over VPN. It takes a day or two of Googling and then you can blow away the execs at your job when you tell them you know how to run a whole domain from the cloud, when it's not really a big deal.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

Zero VGS posted:

That's dumb advice to give without any knowledge of the users environment. In an enterprise environment it is extremely useful to give the helpdesk read only access to DHCP. I'm not teaching a helpdesk person how to log into a switch to look at a text enumeration of DHCP leases, it's a lot easier to give them the DHCP MMC.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

As far as I know, most small businesses are going to have dhcp from a router but the bigger your org gets your going to have it coming from some kind of service like Windows Server.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Zero VGS posted:

That's the most ridiculous thing I've seen in some time.

Don't listen to this guy re:DHCP if you manage more than 10 clients.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

adorai posted:

That's dumb advice to give without any knowledge of the users environment. In an enterprise environment it is extremely useful to give the helpdesk read only access to DHCP. I'm not teaching a helpdesk person how to log into a switch to look at a text enumeration of DHCP leases, it's a lot easier to give them the DHCP MMC.

Plus having all these little decentralized DHCP address pools all over the place is loving stupid.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

flosofl posted:

Plus having a these little decentralized DHCP address pools all over the place is loving stupid.

Just use static IP addresses and an excel spreadsheet. You nerds always make everything so complicated.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Just use static IP addresses and an excel spreadsheet. You nerds always make everything so complicated.

Just flatten the network and do everything using layer 2 broadcasts. Why complicate things with all this routing overhead?

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

Tab8715 posted:

As far as I know, most small businesses are going to have dhcp from a router but the bigger your org gets your going to have it coming from some kind of service like Windows Server.

This is right.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

Zero VGS posted:

Also you might as well learn 2012 because one important point is that a Server 2012 R2 Datacenter license and unlimited client CALs is built into the cost of spinning up a virtual server on Windows Azure, Microsoft's cloud service. I got the 1 month Azure trial and spun up 2012 servers and created a domain and joined PCs to it over VPN. It takes a day or two of Googling and then you can blow away the execs at your job when you tell them you know how to run a whole domain from the cloud, when it's not really a big deal.

Just now finding out this is a thing :stare:. Is it possible to use the router as a makeshift backup dhcp for fault tolerance?

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Race Realists posted:

Just now finding out this is a thing :stare:. Is it possible to use the router as a makeshift backup dhcp for fault tolerance?

If you have a home network, chances are the router is handling DHCP. It's preconfigured so it just works without you even needing to know that DHCP assigned your computer to 192.168.0.4

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Zero VGS posted:

Hahahahahaha

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

L3 switches DHCP relaying to Server 2012R2 :frogc00l:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

On the same subject is Windows Server DHCP the most widely used DHCP Service? It seems immensely popular and I've never seen anything else dishing out addresses.