Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EpicPhoton
Feb 1, 2013

You have the opportunity to take a one way trip with a crew of ~20 to Mars. You'll be supplied, sent food and equipment once you land.
But you might never come back. You might never talk face-to-face with anyone from back home again. You might die on a cold, dusty rock.

Do you go?

EpicPhoton posted:

Remind me what the mod is that allows you to return to times in the past in order to fly/recover spent stages, or perform "simultaneous" maneuvers?

Edit: found it. Flight Manager for Reusable Stages.

This seemed to cause a conflict where my contracts wouldn't complete, and I couldn't get any science. I'd get funds for contract completion though. Not sure if it was a conflict with another mod, or just a bug in the mod itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sokani
Jul 20, 2006

Bison

Oberleutnant posted:

For stage two I was thinking of trying to lift a fifth satellite carrying some 90million mi dishes up to an orbit that just runs in smallish circles above the north pole.

Uh, what? Orbits go around the entire planet, you can't just start going in 'smallish circles' above the north pole. A polar orbit would have to go around the planet passing both the north and south pole.

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

Oberleutnant posted:

I've just set up my first little RemoteTech satellite network in orbit. It's 4 sats (roughly evenly spaced) each with a 2.5million mi range antenna in a 600,000km equatorial orbit. They also each carry a 50million mile deployable dish, so at the very least they'll give me decent control over contract satellite launches, but they're not intended for long-range use because obvs they're going to get obscured by Kerbin pretty frequently.

For stage two I was thinking of trying to lift a fifth satellite carrying some 90million mi dishes up to an orbit that just runs in smallish circles above the north pole. I'm hoping that although this satellite would never be able to talk to KSC itself, it would always be in range of at least one of the other four, and it'd always have an unobstructed view out to Mun and Minimus.

Is there anything special I need to do to lift a payload up there? I was thinking of just attaining a regular equatorial orbit and then burning normal at my ascending/descending nodes to gradually climb up.

I don't think you can orbit that way. I'm not a rocket scientist or orbital mechanic or whatever, but I'm pretty sure the center of mass of Kerbin needs to be in your orbit - if you do smallish circles around the North Pole, then Kerbin gravity is just pulling you straight down.

I actually just did the Remote Tech polar satellites yesterday. What I found was that the Hangar mod is amazing for this - load 4 satellites in a hangar in a big rocket, point yourself north instead of east when you tilt, and then circularize in your orbit. Note the orbital period (twice the difference between "time to apoapsis" and "time to periapsis") of this orbit and deploy one satellite (you need a big antenna on the mothership and the mini always-on one on the satellite to configure it), then burn into an orbit that has an orbital period 25% greater (OR 20% smaller) but whose periapsis (or apoapsis) is right where you just released that first satellite. On each subsequent orbit, deploy one satellite, configure it, and circularize it with RCS.

That's what worked for me, but as my previous posts attest, I'm mediocre at best at this game.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

Oberleutnant posted:

I've just set up my first little RemoteTech satellite network in orbit. It's 4 sats (roughly evenly spaced) each with a 2.5million mi range antenna in a 600,000km equatorial orbit. They also each carry a 50million mile deployable dish, so at the very least they'll give me decent control over contract satellite launches, but they're not intended for long-range use because obvs they're going to get obscured by Kerbin pretty frequently.

For stage two I was thinking of trying to lift a fifth satellite carrying some 90million mi dishes up to an orbit that just runs in smallish circles above the north pole. I'm hoping that although this satellite would never be able to talk to KSC itself, it would always be in range of at least one of the other four, and it'd always have an unobstructed view out to Mun and Minimus.

Is there anything special I need to do to lift a payload up there? I was thinking of just attaining a regular equatorial orbit and then burning normal at my ascending/descending nodes to gradually climb up.

Orbits don't work that way. A polar-orbit relay is still pretty handy, though, it generally has better line-of-sight than equatorial satellites. Just launch burning north instead of burning east, and remember to pack a bit more fuel than you'd normally use because the launch angle will be less efficient. Remember that higher orbits are slower, so the further up you are, the longer your satellite will be in line-of-sight - and, conversely, the longer it will be out of LOS when obscured by the planet.

Geosynchronous satellites are my favorite for comm relays, especially when trying to communicate with targets on the ground. The core of my network is a satellite in geostationary orbit directly over KSC, and I'm deploying a satellite into a stationary Minmus orbit right above where my surface base is going to be.

EpicPhoton
Feb 1, 2013

You have the opportunity to take a one way trip with a crew of ~20 to Mars. You'll be supplied, sent food and equipment once you land.
But you might never come back. You might never talk face-to-face with anyone from back home again. You might die on a cold, dusty rock.

Do you go?

Oberleutnant posted:

Sokani posted:

Uh, what? Orbits go around the entire planet, you can't just start going in 'smallish circles' above the north pole. A polar orbit would have to go around the planet passing both the north and south pole.

You can't do this exactly, but look up Molniya Orbits. Something like this with a few sats will get you mostly over the pole, most of the time.

EpicPhoton fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Dec 26, 2014

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Mister Bates posted:

'Oops, my surface base was slightly unbalanced and tipped over. Oops, it bounced off a rock. Oops, now it's in orbit.'

Can the asteroid claws not grab onto normal planetary bodies?

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

Sokani posted:

Can't believe I couldn't figure that out on my own. :ughh: I don't even have drunkenness as an excuse today

EpicPhoton posted:

You can't do this exactly, but look up Molniya Orbits. Something like this with a few sats will get you mostly over the pole, most of the time.
This looks good, but with my current tech I only have short range omni antennae, so not sure I could pull it off without a satellite using 4 dishes dedicated to talking with the entire existing network to guarantee 24/7 coverage. I'm also working under a 30 part limit which makes lifting complex satellites a pain in the butt.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

Oberleutnant posted:

Can't believe I couldn't figure that out on my own. :ughh: I don't even have drunkenness as an excuse today

This looks good, but with my current tech I only have short range omni antennae, so not sure I could pull it off without a satellite using 4 dishes dedicated to talking with the entire existing network to guarantee 24/7 coverage. I'm also working under a 30 part limit which makes lifting complex satellites a pain in the butt.

If you use a dish with a wide angle, you might be able to just aim it directly at the planet; it'll make any possible connections within the cone.

Mina
Dec 14, 2005

HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK
With the RemoteTech talk, does this mean that it works for 0.90? The thread for it only shows 0.25 as supported and I haven't found a newer version yet.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Its questionably stable. I've been using it without any major issues yet. There are reports of it causing issues in the KSP thread.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
Just put a satellite into a molniya orbit. Orbital period is just over 12 hours (2 kerbin days) and the satellite spends less than 10 minutes of that time in Kerbin's shadow, which is fantastic.

It has juuuust about enough power to run the 50mm Directional dish it needs to maintain contact with my comm network at the apoapsis (10million km up), the 2.5mm Omni it needs to guarantee contact during the 80km flyby of kerbin at the periapsis, and one further 50mm directional dish that I'l be using for mission control. I (ambitiously) mounted 4 dishes, but just can't generate the solar power to run them with the number of radially mounted panels I have room for.
I cut back on batteries to mount the 4 dishes, and as a consequence power bottoms out during that 10 minute trip through Kerbin's shadow no matter what's running.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

Oberleutnant posted:

If I recall correctly, multiple antennae on the same craft 'stack', increasing the range.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?
http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/104966-0-90-B9-Aerospace-Procedural-Parts-0-1?p=1631323#post1631323

Bac9 is reinventing the procedural wing. It looks awesome.

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

So since I got the game I've just been playing with vanilla KSP. Are there any mods that I really should have?

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Fishstick posted:

If I recall correctly, multiple antennae on the same craft 'stack', increasing the range.
Only if you enable it in the RT config, it's off by default iirc.

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

HogX posted:

So since I got the game I've just been playing with vanilla KSP. Are there any mods that I really should have?

Kerbal Engineer Redux is essential.

I also like FAR (better aerodynamics), Karbonite, Environmental Visual Enhancements, and KW Rocketry (for the engines, mostly).

Make sure you use CKAN to download them though!

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

Luneshot posted:

Kerbal Engineer Redux is essential.

I also like FAR (better aerodynamics), Karbonite, Environmental Visual Enhancements, and KW Rocketry (for the engines, mostly).

Make sure you use CKAN to download them though!

Thanks! The only one I can't find on CKAN's list is the visual enhancements, but it's not a huge deal.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?
Don't more omni antenna on real satellites get more signal?

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

Oh I did have another question: With the career mode, does it matter how many days it takes you to do something? Like will you need to launch to the moon in 3 days or things like that? Or is there no real time limit?

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

There are time limits on contracts, but for the most part they are extremely generous. My current "go to the mun" contract has a time limit of 400 days.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

Ugh, I want to use RSS but it keeps crashing KSP for me during the conversion process :(

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

HogX posted:

I wouldnt still be playing this game if it wasnt for mechjeb and automatic rendezvous/ docking.

Sneaky Kettle
Jul 4, 2010

holy poo poo :vince:

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011
Is it a known bug where a plane just suddenly blasts off shortly after take-off and goes from normal-speed to kerbal-killing g-forces? Like seriously I'm flying normally and my ship just suddenly blasts forward while the camera stays stationary. I realize I suck at spaceplanes but it's pretty straightforward design I copied off some reddit dude while I'm learning.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

Kilonum posted:

Ugh, I want to use RSS but it keeps crashing KSP for me during the conversion process :(

And I fixed it by doing a complete clean reinstall.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
I just realized that you can probably bypass the entire cash economy by building an MKS/Extraplanetary Launchpads base right on Kerbin and just mining for stuff to build your own off-the-books space program.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

GOD loving DAMMIT RSS WHAT MOD IS loving CONFLICTING WITH YOU

0x0hShit
Mar 11, 2011
Got to be honest, I haven't even tried the new career features yet because these new Mk 3 parts are just to drat fun to screw around with. :allears: The heavier loads and bigger size of the new pieces mean the stock wheels really are starting to feel their limitations, although I'm not really sure if that's them or the new offset tools. For whatever reason it seems like a part that's been moved using offset/rotate has a much weaker bond to the parent part when it comes to impacts. With my old 3 gear space planes I could easily drop the thing onto the runway at a decent clip, but the new ones with doubled wheels just disintegrate if they touch the ground more then ~5 m/s vertical. :(

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
Oh man I still have 10+ pages until I catch up. I just got back from being away. I went away the day after 0.90 hit and am spending a little time goofing around with spaceplanes. I really like the new Mk3 parts. I'm still not crazy about the new elevons but the rest is all good.
I just made an almost-spaceplane that's actually stable during / after reentry! Holy poo poo that has to be a first for me. It's currentl;y getting ready to splash down with a really slow descent and only about 30m/s horizontal velocity ...and touchdown! Beautiful landing. Even though the glue that holds Kerbal ships together is water soluble it's still mostly intact.
Can someone please tell me the proper ascent for spaceplanes with stock aero again? This thing made it up to 55000m at 40* and 90% throttle skyfucking, reentry effects and all. I reckon it could potentially be another successful SSTO to add to my hangar.

I was going to try out CKAN(?) but I noticed a couple of weird part duplications from the upgrade. I guess it's purge and re-download time again :(

karl fungus
May 6, 2011

Baeume sind auch Freunde
I'm curious: using only stock parts, has anyone figured out the smallest possible rocket to go to the Mun with?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

karl fungus posted:

I'm curious: using only stock parts, has anyone figured out the smallest possible rocket to go to the Mun with?

Smallest dimensions? Lowest weight? Lowest part count? Crewed or probe?

karl fungus
May 6, 2011

Baeume sind auch Freunde
Let's go with lowest weight. Probe I suppose would be the absolute lightest, but I really wonder how the smallest manned mission could go.

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

I really have no idea how to get any of this Karbonite gear to somewhere it'll be useful. Or how to do anything ever with the Packrat Rover deployment cage. How on earth[1] do you land this thing anywhere?

[1] or not on earth

immelman
Oct 6, 2014

karl fungus posted:

Let's go with lowest weight. Probe I suppose would be the absolute lightest, but I really wonder how the smallest manned mission could go.

chicknblender over on the subreddit got there and back for 2.4 T:
http://imgur.com/a/sT2Cv#13

I think 2.1 T if you use Xenon.

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

So I noticed some of the mods people suggested aren't in the ckan list. How can I install them outside of the mod loader?

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

I'm starting to launch my first OKS station -- got the core (control centre, hab ring and kerbitat) into a 250km orbit and put the agricultural module on the pad before deciding to call it a night. Ultimate plan is to add an ag module, science labs for both stock and Station Science, and various storage modules. It's running on battery power now, but with the antennas disabled it should have enough power to last until Bill gets back from Minmus and unlocks large solar panels with his cargo of science.

I'm not missing the windows memory limits at all, but I am missing the Steam Overlay screenshot feature. :(

HogX posted:

So I noticed some of the mods people suggested aren't in the ckan list. How can I install them outside of the mod loader?

Two ways:
- install them by hand as you normally would. CKAN won't be able to manage them but they'll still work.
- write a .ckan file for them and install them with 'ckan -c modname.ckan' to install using the file you wrote rather than the main repo

In the latter case it's a bit more up-front work, but you'll be able to use CKAN to install and uninstall it, and install updates just by updating the .ckan file version number and download link.

ToxicFrog fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Dec 27, 2014

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

I downloaded SCANSat with CKAN but the parts are not showing up in 0.9 Career.

I want spysats dammit!

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

So I noticed in the tutorial videos in the OP that the dude can take soil/water samples during the first two videos. Did they change that in career mode so you have to unlock that later?

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

HogX posted:

So I noticed in the tutorial videos in the OP that the dude can take soil/water samples during the first two videos. Did they change that in career mode so you have to unlock that later?

Yeah, those come later on- a lot of the features we previously took for granted now have to be unlocked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

Luneshot posted:

Yeah, those come later on- a lot of the features we previously took for granted now have to be unlocked.

Ah okay. Another question, how do I upgrade my facilities? So I can launch heavier spacecraft, etc?