Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost

Mezzanon posted:

I have his food and a blanket on the front steps. He hates outside, he's only been out a couple times on a leash and harness and he hated everything. We rescued him from freezing to death when he was just a baby I don't know why he would even want to go outside
When one of ours escaped from a mistakenly open screen door we tried food, a trap, and a litter box. I'm not sure if any of those helped, but what really did it was leaving the sliding door open and sleeping on a nearby couch.

Around 3 AM the little rear end in a top hat was screaming to be let in, which luckily was enough to wake me.

Though the trap actually also worked. It just a neighbor cat in it instead of ours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
I once found a missing housecat by listening out at night for cats fighting. A newcomer is always grounds for territorial disputes. I live in a built up area with lots of cats though.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

Mezzanon posted:

My kitten got out last night and I haven't been able to find him at all. I've been canvassing the neighborhood, he's not an outside cat. I just hope one of my neighbors brought him inside. Tomorrow is his first birthday :(

The other two cats keep meowing and looking for Buster around the house :(

Poor thing. Let us know when he gets home safe.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Charles Martel posted:

Poor thing. Let us know when he gets home safe.

I FOUND HIM!!!

I came home from picking up flyers and he was on the sidewalk, I had to chase him around the yard, but as soon as I opened the front door he ran right in! He's a little snowy but seems pretty healthy, just shaken up. The other cats are grooming him and seem happy that he's back as well. I'm so loving relieved!

Edit: once I'm done hugging him im going to murder him for scaring me like that, but I don't think I'll ever be done hugging him :3

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Mezzanon posted:

I FOUND HIM!!!

I came home from picking up flyers and he was on the sidewalk, I had to chase him around the yard, but as soon as I opened the front door he ran right in! He's a little snowy but seems pretty healthy, just shaken up. The other cats are grooming him and seem happy that he's back as well. I'm so loving relieved!

Edit: once I'm done hugging him im going to murder him for scaring me like that, but I don't think I'll ever be done hugging him :3

Congrats! They know where food/warm/pets is. Most of the time they're not far away. Yay for happy endings!

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Mezzanon posted:

I FOUND HIM!!!

:toot:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Hooray, now post pictures of the idiot. :3

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug

SynthOrange posted:

Hooray, now post pictures of the idiot. :3

Seconding this.

My old cat likes to escape sometimes, too. Last time she went in and out a window that I didn't realize had no screen in it. :downs: She came back in and startled the poo poo out of me. The time before that, she escaped on an internal stairwell and hid in an apartment cellar for a couple days. Our neighbor found her crying at his door. Maybe she was confused... Cats are silly.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker
Last night I installed a cat soundboard on my phone. Expecting Mouse to be irritated by it, we were shocked that...she loved it? She was curious as to what was making that noise, purred up a storm, and laid on my wife which she rarely does.

However, given that seemingly everything in the world has a negative consequence, I have to wonder: are there any problems playing cat sounds to a cat?

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Cheesus posted:

Last night I installed a cat soundboard on my phone. Expecting Mouse to be irritated by it, we were shocked that...she loved it? She was curious as to what was making that noise, purred up a storm, and laid on my wife which she rarely does.

However, given that seemingly everything in the world has a negative consequence, I have to wonder: are there any problems playing cat sounds to a cat?

Eventually you insult her mother?

Araenna
Dec 27, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Cheesus posted:

Sounds like you need to get your cat another cat to me.

supermikhail
Nov 17, 2012

"It's video games, Scully."
Video games?"
"He enlists the help of strangers to make his perfect video game. When he gets bored of an idea, he murders them and moves on to the next, learning nothing in the process."
"Hmm... interesting."
http://youtu.be/ljYzRXlPEUo

I'm guessing the fact that my cat's fallen asleep means that she doesn't need a friend.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
So coming home today from work I spotted my cat chasing a gigantic Iguana. The iguana ran up a tree and then my cat hurried home when he saw me.

Should I be worried? What kind of damage could these things do to him? He's a fairly hefty kitty but the iguana looked pretty big.

darkforce898
Sep 11, 2007

Me and my girlfriend are catsitting two cats for a year (or maybe forever) and I have a couple of questions.

Black is Po @ 1 year. Tabby is Jameson @ 7 months.

1/2 cup dry in the morning, whatever doesn't get eaten in 30 minutes gets put away
1/2 3oz can at night split into two portions for Po

When we got them Po was underweight and the vet said he most likely had IBS. He will regurgitate his wet food, never dry, randomly after eating. Doesn't seem to be a pattern. Not allergy or time related. Vet said to try Probiotics (we chose http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B0023UD8D6) but I don't know if they actually do anything. He will still regurgitate the food randomly but less often now that we split his night meal into two portions.

Anyone have any experience with Probitoics? Or KIBS (Kitten IBS)?

Question 2:

How much fighting is too much fighting? They always have their ears up and wag their tails slow when they play fight. But they yelp a lot because they like biting each other on the rear end for some reason. I'm not really worried because they seem to be in love with each other as soon as they are done. Sometimes they will lose track of the other and whine until we show them where the other one is sleeping.

Question 3:

Does fish oil actually do anything for hair and dander?

darkforce898 fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Dec 24, 2014

supermikhail
Nov 17, 2012

"It's video games, Scully."
Video games?"
"He enlists the help of strangers to make his perfect video game. When he gets bored of an idea, he murders them and moves on to the next, learning nothing in the process."
"Hmm... interesting."
E/N: I finally received my order for some cat stuff today, after a two-day delay, and two of the three items (the most expensive ones) are wrong (and cheaper than what I ordered). It's kind of driving me crazy that I could have caught this when receiving, but the names are very similar. And my cat's still without a treat, or a playing construction. (I've called the shop, and presumably they are dealing with it, although there is a stupid lack of calling me back by their manager. :shrug:)

Quite honestly, I still haven't bought anything in a petshop that wasn't a consumable (food, flea collar, etc) that I wasn't almost immediately disappointed with when it got home. Either it's poor quality, or I didn't see a flaw in its design (due to it being online, or me not wanting to spend the whole day at the store). I suspect maybe it's my unfortunate location in Russia that's to blame. :( /E/N.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I usually get Taste of the Wild's Rocky Mountain formula for my cats. It's a good price at my local pet stores, $33 for a big bag, and has 42% protein and 18% fat.

For my most recent food purchase, I decided to give Solid Gold's Indigo Moon a shot since I had a coupon and it has 46% protein and 20% fat.

And yet, my cats seem to be eating WAY more of the Indigo Moon. I have 2 bowls and put about 1/2 cup scoop in each one when I wake up, but they've been finishing them long before I go to sleep.

What's worse, Solid Gold seems to have changed the formula - Indigo Moon now has new packaging and is down to 42% protein and 20% fat.

Taste of the Wild it is.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Josh Lyman posted:

I usually get Taste of the Wild's Rocky Mountain formula for my cats. It's a good price at my local pet stores, $33 for a big bag, and has 42% protein and 18% fat.

For my most recent food purchase, I decided to give Solid Gold's Indigo Moon a shot since I had a coupon and it has 46% protein and 20% fat.

And yet, my cats seem to be eating WAY more of the Indigo Moon. I have 2 bowls and put about 1/2 cup scoop in each one when I wake up, but they've been finishing them long before I go to sleep.

What's worse, Solid Gold seems to have changed the formula - Indigo Moon now has new packaging and is down to 42% protein and 20% fat.

Taste of the Wild it is.

Interesting. All of their info said they were changing their packaging but not the food itself.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
Guess who got in a scrap Christmas morning and had to go the the emergency vet Christmas evening:

$717 and a couple of stitches later he's back in the house causing chaos with his new cone of shame

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

DrNutt posted:

Interesting. All of their info said they were changing their packaging but not the food itself.
I haven't checked the new bag, but everything online says they are 42% protein while the bag in my possession is 46%.

A week in and Indigo Moon also seems to give giving both Leo and CJ the shits, so more reason to go back to Taste of the Wild. Too bad we have to deal with poopy butts until they get through this giant bag.

CompactFanny
Oct 1, 2008

If you don't switch foods gradually, there is a good chance the cat will have diarrhea just from the sudden change, not necessarily from the food itself.

Mazzagatti2Hotty
Jan 23, 2012

JON JONES APOLOGIST #3
Is it okay for adult cats to primarily eat kitten-formula dry food?

We usually free-feed our cats Science Diet dry food since the kitten is a kitten and our adult cat tends to get underweight, and give them wet food separately in the evening.

However, lately I've noticed that the adult cat has been ignoring his dry food and eating the kitten formula food. I'm usually fine with whatever he eats as long as he's eating, but I just want to make sure it isn't harmful to him to mostly eat the kitten formula along with wet food in the evenings.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Adults eating kitten food is just fine, just make sure they don't get fat on it.

Nicol Bolas
Feb 13, 2009
It's the holidays, and I'm about to fly back home after visiting my folks and my cat I grew up with. She is VERY old, going to be 19 in February. She is overall in surprisingly good health, if a bit scruffy and way too skinny. Her teeth are good and she munches on the dry food that my mom feeds the other cats, though she prefers the wet. (Her favorite is to lick all the gravy off a gravy type, which is why we have to give her the pâté.) I'd really like to get some weight on her, though, and I'm going to send a case or two of wet food my mom's way to that end. I know cat Ensure is a thing on amazon, and I know about kitten milk--are either of these options, or will she just drink them to the exclusion of other food? Is there a wet food meant for senior cats where the goal is to put weight on, not keep it off?

Also, I'm afraid her vision is going--her pupils are really big all the time. She follows faces and light just fine, but in case that matters, her pupils are always wide open. There probably isn't anything for it but if there is I'd love to know. I love my girl and I just want to make the last years of her life long, good ones.

Crooked Booty
Apr 2, 2009
arrr

Nicol Bolas posted:

Also, I'm afraid her vision is going--her pupils are really big all the time. She follows faces and light just fine, but in case that matters, her pupils are always wide open. There probably isn't anything for it but if there is I'd love to know. I love my girl and I just want to make the last years of her life long, good ones.
A common cause of constantly dilated pupils in an older cat is detached retinas, and this can be a result of high blood pressure. There are several diseases common in older kitties that can cause hypertension (and they happen to cause weight loss, too), so I recommend your mom get this checked out. There may be treatment available that could help improve the cat's quality of life and/or put on more weight.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
One of our cats has taken to sitting on plates.

So we decided to set up a photo-op.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

The cat seems more than fine. That said after finally getting a chance to pet her I felt a small round lump above her hind right leg bone area. It's not there on the left side. Seeing that she doesn't seem to care I imagine it's something like a benign cyst or even a bone that I can't place. However, would it be worth having this checked up on?

Captain Keene
Dec 20, 2012
Definitely get that checked out. Like with a human, you should have any suspicious masses/lumps looked at, early detection is key. Hopefully it's just a benign lump or cyst, but it could be something more and the sooner you know what it is the sooner you can take appropriate action.

mistressminako
Aug 4, 2007

Beware the man in the wheelchair lurking off-screen.

A friend of mine uses a Banfield clinic as her main vet. She recently had to de-worm 3/4 cats thanks to an overzealous kitten and mice. While at the vet, she was given First Shield as a topical flea treatment. I've never heard of this brand and Google is not kind. Any thoughts?

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Captain Keene posted:

Definitely get that checked out. Like with a human, you should have any suspicious masses/lumps looked at, early detection is key. Hopefully it's just a benign lump or cyst, but it could be something more and the sooner you know what it is the sooner you can take appropriate action.

Ok sounds good. We should be at the Vet's in a week. Just wanted to make sure it wasn't a 'do today' sort of urgent.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

mistressminako posted:

A friend of mine uses a Banfield clinic as her main vet. She recently had to de-worm 3/4 cats thanks to an overzealous kitten and mice. While at the vet, she was given First Shield as a topical flea treatment. I've never heard of this brand and Google is not kind. Any thoughts?

First Shield is Banfield's version of Vectra. I assume they gave the cat version to them, as giving the dog version to cats is a no-no. I've never had any experience with First Shield as I don't work at a Banfield.

mistressminako
Aug 4, 2007

Beware the man in the wheelchair lurking off-screen.

HelloSailorSign posted:

First Shield is Banfield's version of Vectra. I assume they gave the cat version to them, as giving the dog version to cats is a no-no. I've never had any experience with First Shield as I don't work at a Banfield.
Thank you for the information. She'll be returning the medication and picking up Revolution on her next paycheck.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

mistressminako posted:

It's on par with Frontline, but since you got it at Banfield, you probably paid too much. Go to Costco or a similar store, they have much better prices for the same flea/tick stuff.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.
My cat shed a tear last night. Him and my other cat are both indoor cats who are otherwise healthy. There's no other symptoms, they're both eating and drinking and pooping. They have no contact with the outside world animal wise aside from mice one or two months ago.

He's only done it the once (and once again about six months back). Can he just get URI out of nowhere? With no other symptoms and it only happening the one time would that even be a URI? Also, he has a callous on one of his toes, at least I think it's a callous/corn. Is that normal? Am I going crazy?!

I'm a hypochondriac by proxy, can you tell?

Zeuhl
Dec 15, 2009

hand is free
Hi Cat thread, I'm getting a girl kitten tonight, and I already have two females, one is 3 years old, the other 1.

How long should you keep a kitten separated from two cats? It was my thought that, since its a kitten, you wouldn't separate them as long

I was thinking of keeping them separated at least until the new one gets her first vaccinations.

Am I very, very wrong?

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
My mother recently went to Cat-Mart (the pound) and restocked her supply. The 4 cats she brought home all have the same unique facial structure and body type, and I'm wondering what breed might be mixed in there.

This is Sun Cat, the ugliest/one with the most pronounced facial features.

Sun cat also has the strangest markings on him I've ever seen. he doesn't have typical tabby stripes, just weird, half formed lines, and a big rear end circle on his side. I forgot to take a picture, but I can get one.

There's also a gray tabby, tortoiseshell tabby, and a black piebald in the litter.

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now
I don't know if you can tell a breed mix by looking, but thick lines and swirls sounds like a classic tabby marking - smaller stripes are "mackerel" tabby markings: http://messybeast.com/spotted-cats.html

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
He's probably closest to the "blotched tabby." I'll get some pics.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

My cat Hope has developed the irritating habit of leaping on top of my computer to rest and warm her tummy. While that's funny and cute as hell, it causes huge problems with compy if she's carrying static from walking on the carpet (read: all the time). Obviously a spray bottle is a no go near a computer; any alternatives to telling her bad move and getting her to stay away?

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Dec 30, 2014

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Ciaphas posted:

My cat Hope has developed the irritating habit of leaping on top of my computer to rest and warm her tummy. While that's funny and cute as hell, it causes huge problems with compy if she's carrying static from walking on the carpet (read: all the time). Obviously a spray bottle is a no go near a computer; any alternatives to telling her bad move and getting her to stay away?

Double-sided tape on the computer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
Okay, so people requested to see pictures of my cat(s) after my kitten had a brief outdoor adventure, so now that I have free time and access to the photo album, I can do so!

First things first, my girlfriend and I have 3 cats in total. She has 2 and I have 1.

The breakdown is like so

Neko: Female, Siamese, 12 years old. (girlfriends)

Floyd: Male, Ragdoll, 7 years old. (girlfriends)

Buster Casey: Male, Domestic shorthair mystery cat, 1 year old! :3: (mine)

All images timg'd because they may or may not be huge.

Picture of all 3 cats pretending to be friends:

Neko enjoying her blanket:

Floyd hanging out and relaxing:

Floyd in his Christmas Sweater:

Buster in His Christmas Sweater:

Buster Derpin' Around:

Buster on his Perch:

Buster lays like this all the time, he looks ridiculous:

And those are the cats at my house! Thanks goons!

Edit: Buster randomly derps around with his tongue sticking out of his mouth, he drools ruthlessly when he's happy, and he loves belly rubs, and is the cutest most affectionate cat anybody could ever hope for! I rescued him a year ago, here's the story.

It was February, and it was the middle of a coldsnap (temperatures were hovering in the -30 degrees celsius range, -40 with windchill, so cold as loving balls) My mom was out walking her dog, and she heard the sounds of a cat meowing coming from a persons garage. Feeling concerned for the persons pet, my mother knocked on the door of the house, but nobody answered. As my mother passed the house again (about 45-50 minutes later) she still heard the meowing, so she knocked on the door again, still to no answer. After getting home with the dog, and thinking about it for a little while, my mom again returned to the house, and still heard the meowing (at this point about 4-5 hours had gone by since she initially heard the meowing) This time someone answered the door, so my mom had the following conversation:

:) = my mom
:smuggo: other person

:) "Excuse me, I think your cat is locked in your garage, and wants to be let in!"
:smuggo: "Oh yeah that noise? Yeah a cat got into our van yesterday. It's not ours it's a stray. But we don't know what to do with it so our plan was to just let it freeze to death and clean it out afterwards."
:) "Wait what? It's inside your van? I can hear it meowing from the street, it clearly wants to get out, why don't you just open your van door so it can escape?"
:smuggo: "I can't do that, what if people come in and take things from my van?!?"
:) "That's loving unacceptable. I'll be back in ten minutes with a cat carrier and some food and you're going to let me get that loving cat or I'm calling animal services and the police!"

So my mom gets a cat carrier and some cooked chicken and makes the guy open up his garage (which she can still hear the cat meowing through from outside) and then open up his van door. And with a little coaxing she manages to get the cat (Buster) into the cat carrier. My mom was expecting a full grown cat based on the amount of noise he was making, but he was just a 6 week old baby kitten! And he's been locked in a freezing van for the last 30 hours. He's hungry, he's dehydrated, he's scared, he has frostbite on his ears, his tail, and the pads of all his paws.

My mom took him home and put him in a nice warm cat-bed with some food and he was so exhausted that he fell asleep with his face in the food dish. He ended up losing the tip of his tail, and the tips of his ears to frostbite. And all the skin on the pads of his paws sloughed off so he walked around like a little tenderfoot. As soon as he was able to stand under his own strength my mom called me to come and have a look at him. As soon as I picked him up he curled into my chest and purred and I knew right then that he was my kitty. So after dome de-worming, and some shots, and an FIV test he came home with my girlfriend and I and he's been the best cat ever since!

I Can't believe those people were going to just straight up let him die. That's some loving bullshit.

Mezzanon fucked around with this message at 12:26 on Dec 30, 2014