Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Davethulhu
Aug 12, 2003

Morbid Hound
I don't want to live in a world without cheese.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Cross-posting from the Food Addiction thread:

"Cheese is literally, physiologically addictive."

Isn't that true of everything delicious to some degree though?

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Mo_Steel posted:

However you like.

If I did it that way I wouldn't do it. I'm doing this for the thread and for D & D, I might as well do it the right way and not half rear end it with an inferior service.

quote:

I typically am interested to see the ones that LL101 explicitly make themselves over the ones they are just cross-linking, but go for what you feel.
I specifically only go with stuff I know hasn't already come up, and leave out all the politoons. I just grab the stuff that would be new to this thread. That way I'm still introducing fresh content for all of it.

Who What Now posted:

You do whatever makes it most enjoyable bearable for you.
Don't worry about me, you've no idea of what I can bear through. I wouldn't have taken this position if I didn't think I could handle it.

Speaking of which, Part 1of the Roundup! Seeing the Hobbit with some friends tonight at a late night show, so I'm probably not going to post part 3 til either really late or early morning. So I'll make sure you have something to go up.

This week in LL 101!

Replace democrats with Republicans, and you actually have the reality.

WHAT INQUISITION AND MILITANT GROUPS IN AFRICA?!!?

Whitey here laughs at the renewed racism that Obamas blackness has brought out.

Is there a term for when someone who is just wrong about everything is disingenuously making the right argument in the right way, but you know they're going to segue it into something retarded and wrong?

"Why is the man whose job is to keep Americans alive worried about what keeps killing Americans?"

[qiuote]Some Atheists got together and had a contest to come up with their own Ten Commandments. Judged by Adam Savage (of Myth Busters) they came up with the following, meaningless drivel.

“1. Be open-minded and be willing to alter your beliefs with new evidence.”

Unless it’s concerning theistic religion, specifically Christianity, then close that mind very tight and reject anything that even remotely has anything to do with it. In fact, anything that might contradict the religion of Evolution, shut that out, too. Call it “religious dogma” and refuse to listen to it whether it’s math, physics, biology or simply logic, if it contradicts the current Evolutionist Dogma, close your mind to it. See, the whole idea of being an Atheist is to close your mind to the idea that there might be a God, and reject the logic that no one has ever proven that there is no God, so by simply calling yourself an Atheist, you’ve established that you are closed-minded. But we’ll close our minds to that, too.

“2. Strive to understand what is most likely to be true, not to believe what you wish to be true.”

Wink, wink. Because we want Evolution to be true, so we’ll continue to pretend it is true and reject any evidence to the contrary, and censor it whenever we can. We also don’t want there to be a God, so we’ll also reject any evidence that points to His existence, and pretend we are being “open minded”.

“3. The scientific method is the most reliable way of understanding the natural world.”

Of course, by “scientific method” we aren’t actually referring to evidence, criticism, objective analysis, because that would force us to take an honest look at many of the things we outright reject because they contradict our pre-chosen world view. By “scientific method” we are referring to the Dogma of the Religion of Evolution and the gods of Time and Chance. There’s a reason we demanded that the phrase “Critical Analysis” be censored in science text books, after all.

“4. Every person has the right to control over their body.”

“Person” of course being defined by what’s convenient for the majority at the time.

“5. God is not necessary to be a good person or to live a full and meaningful life.”

Note, we didn’t say “belief in God” which might have made more sense. The reason is that deep down we know there’s a God and we are really mad at Him, for whatever reason, so we want to pretend He’s irrelevant. Just like it’s not necessary to have a foundation in order to build a house, we Atheists don’t need God to build our own personal “morality” where we get to say what is and isn’t right…just like Hitler did.

“6. Be mindful of the consequences of all your actions and recognize that you must take responsibility for them.”

And by “take responsibility” we, of course, mean rationalize it away as either “what’s right for us” or simply not worry about it as we fight to maintain the belief that after death there’s nothing, therefore no consequences.

“7. Treat others as you would want them to treat you, and can reasonably expect them to want to be treated. Think about their perspective.”

Except for the people that disagree with us. We can treat them like crap and call them names.

“8. We have the responsibility to consider others, including future generations.”

And many other completely vague concepts that have no meaning when different people have contradictory ideas of what “responsibility” means. But it makes us feel good to say such things.

“9. There is no one right way to live.”

But there are plenty of wrong ways, so let’s keep hammering at all those people we disagree with.

“10. Leave the world a better place than you found it.”

Ahh, yet another vague meaningless homily. Doesn’t it make you feel good? No, don’t think about the fact that there’s a wide variety of concepts over what “better” means—many mutually-exclusive. It’s about feeling good, in spite of reality.
[/quote]

I like how concepts like "think about the future" and "Don't gently caress up the planet" are so alien that they think its meaningless.

quote:

City education officials have demoted an elementary school principal days after a school board member circulated a photo showing misspellings in a large announcement sign outside one of the building’s entrances.

The sign at School 20’s side entrance listed events for “Dicember 2014.” It alerted people to the date for “progress reepor” and had the numeral one placed backwards in another instance.

Officials said the sign apparently contained those errors for more than a week, but apparently no one noticed until city school board member Corey Teague distributed copies of a photo of the errors.

“If this is how the administration takes care of signage how can we expect the students to do better? We must be held to a higher standard,” wrote Teague in an email accompanying the photo.

Not caring about a sign? Focuing on the important parts of your job? HOW DARE HE!

"Whats that? Threats of a terrorist attack that wouldn't have affected me in any way? YOU'RE A PUSSY FOR CAVING!"

Hey, the movies out now, totally available for you to see? Sop,. how many times did you see it, hmm?

Unborn fetus's have more rights than innocent people captured by the CIA - LL 101.

Yeah, kids should be able to make their decision without all the marketting gimmicks that abortion clinics use, and be abllowed to choose to be an unwed 13 year old mother.

I mean, the killing of an innocent man does make me want to side with the Democrats, but on the other hand, they're stupid poo heads always!

Remember when Sharpton framed that photo of cops with a shooting target? Because conservatives sure as gently caress do!

So opening trade with a communist country leads to you pouring millions in to them and getting nothing back? Wow, capitalism really is useless.

I agree, it is awesome that this generation isn't authoritarian shitheels.

quote:

The youngest daughter of Eric Garner paid her respects Monday to two police officers who were murdered execution style in the Bedford-Stuyvesant section of Brooklyn over the weekend.

The New York Post reported that Emerald Snipes-Garner, 22, lit a blue candle at a makeshift memorial at the site where officers Rafael Ramos and Wenjian Liu were shot Saturday afternoon. Snipes-Garner told a crowd of around 300 onlookers that she had visited the Ramos family after reading son Jaden’s tribute to his fallen father on Facebook.

“It hit my heart because I know what it feels like with this upcoming season and you don’t have your father around,” Snipes-Garner said. “I know firsthand what you’re feeling.”

Eric Garner died this past July after a confrontation with police offices over his sale of untaxed cigarettes. An amateur video appeared to show a white officer putting Garner in a chokehold and wrestling him to the ground. Garner could be heard on the tape saying “I can’t breathe.” The slogan became a rallying cry for protesters after a grand jury declined to indict the officer involved earlier this month.

Isn't it curious how the camera appears to show people there despite Consertvatives claiming that leftists are actually celebrating the death of cops?

Moores law?The gently caress is that? Clearly capitalism just WILLED those transistors onto that chip.

quote:

A National Institutes of Health (NIH) project, entitled, “Relationship Between Tobacco Retailer Density and Sexual Minority Couples,” reasons that since many gay and lesbian couples live in cities, they may be close to stores that sell cigarettes, such as 7 Elevens.

“Tobacco use is substantially higher among sexual minorities than among heterosexuals,” the grant states. “The reasons for this persistent disparity remain unclear, but the high toll of death and disability from tobacco use creates substantial health inequalities in cancer.”

“Same-sex couples’ movement within the U.S. results in same-sex couples concentrating in more urban neighborhoods where there may be more tobacco retailers,” the grant continued. “Living near a tobacco retailer has been associated with decreased success in quitting tobacco. The presence or absence of overlapping patterns of same-sex couples and tobacco retailers have not been explored.”

The $33,341 study is cross-checking a “high quality list” of nearly 100,000 tobacco retailers from 97 U.S. counties with census data to determine whether same-sex couples live nearby.

Research gave us all this! Also, HOW loving DARE THEY RESEARCH THINGS!

So loving close to just chanting white power at this point.

Neowyrm
Dec 23, 2011

It's not like I pack a lunch box full of missiles when I go to work!

hamster_style posted:

Content:

This hurts my eyes.

I can tolerate those gaudy e-cards until a certain point. That certain point, though, is JPEG ARTIFACTS

EDIT:

I really gotta admire LL101 for consistently quoting stupid people nobody has ever heard of or given a poo poo about.
It must be hard to find all these people. All that effort they go to. For us.
Thank you, LL101.

Neowyrm fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Dec 27, 2014

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Cross-posting from the Food Addiction thread:

Cheese.

Not even once.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Fulchrum posted:

Replace democrats with Republicans, and you actually have the reality.

Obama: Hey, Bush, the crew and passengers decided I should take the yoke for a bit.
Bush: Well, if they say so--
Obama: [gets plane flying mostly level despite massive turbulence]
Republicans in first class: [for six years] OH gently caress WHERE ARE WE GOING OH NO WE'RE CRASHING OH gently caress THIS GUY's PILOT LICENSE IS FAKE

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!

Davethulhu posted:

I don't want to live in a world without cheese.

See! You're so addicted you'd rather die than live without cheese!

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
I really wish people would stop fuckin the 'straight pride' dog and simply be happy they don't have a need for 'straight pride'. Congrats, you guys are the 'default', biologically and culturally. You've won. You're not being oppressed.

LL101 posted:

1. Be open-minded and be willing to alter your beliefs with new evidence.”

Unless it’s concerning theistic religion, specifically Christianity, then close that mind very tight and reject anything that even remotely has anything to do with it. In fact, anything that might contradict the religion of Evolution, shut that out, too. Call it “religious dogma” and refuse to listen to it whether it’s math, physics, biology or simply logic, if it contradicts the current Evolutionist Dogma, close your mind to it. See, the whole idea of being an Atheist is to close your mind to the idea that there might be a God, and reject the logic that no one has ever proven that there is no God, so by simply calling yourself an Atheist, you’ve established that you are closed-minded. But we’ll close our minds to that, too.

So where do these idiots get the idea that there is any evidence against evolution and that there exists indisputable evidence of God's existence? I'd really like to see it because if I'm wrong on this whole God thing I'd like to know.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Poizen Jam posted:

I really wish people would stop fuckin the 'straight pride' dog and simply be happy they don't have a need for 'straight pride'. Congrats, you guys are the 'default', biologically and culturally. You've won. You're not being oppressed.

So where do these idiots get the idea that there is any evidence against evolution and that there exists indisputable evidence of God's existence? I'd really like to see it because if I'm wrong on this whole God thing I'd like to know.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z6kgvhG3AkI

If you don't have time, I'll bottom line it.

Bill Nye: Here is the proof that shows there is no reasonable conclusion one can come to for the origin for all species on earth except evolution.

Ken Ham: Nuh-uh, because God said not. Also, you weren't there so you didn't see it.

And then his followers treated that last argument as a masterstroke.

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

Fulchrum posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z6kgvhG3AkI

If you don't have time, I'll bottom line it.

Bill Nye: Here is the proof that shows there is no reasonable conclusion one can come to for the origin for all species on earth except evolution.

Ken Ham: Nuh-uh, because God said not. Also, you weren't there so you didn't see it.

And then his followers treated that last argument as a masterstroke.

You literally cannot win a debate with a YEC. Their worldview and the format of a debate make it impossible. I don't know why people keep trying it.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
Yeah, and we can't 'see' gravity or fully understand how it works but I don't see religious folks jumping off buildings to spite us.

Literally nothing in biology makes sense unless it's interpreted through the lense of evolution.

I saw the Ken Ham debate. That dishonest turd has a habit of citing opinions of 'doctors' who are usually just engineers- never experts in a relevant discipline. To be honest I was sad Bill Nye even bothered to entertain him because doing so gives him more credibility than he deserves. I mean, sure, he's going to claim 'Haha! The evolutionist wouldn't debate me, obviously I won!', but he's going to claim he 'won' anyway. At least that way I there's no smug media spectacle over it.

And gently caress the Gish Gallup. If ever you doubted anti-evolution folk actually care about the truth rather than pushing a religious agenda, you need only look at their dishonest debate tactics.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Poizen Jam posted:

Yeah, and we can't 'see' gravity or fully understand how it works but I don't see religious folks jumping off buildings to spite us.
We do, however, see them denying convection just to spite us. Well, that, and to secure oil profits.

quote:

Literally nothing in biology makes sense unless it's interpreted through the lense of evolution.

Literally nothing in science makes sense to a YEC anyway, so as far as they see it, its a wash that way.

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

KiteAuraan posted:

You literally cannot win a debate with a YEC. Their worldview and the format of a debate make it impossible. I don't know why people keep trying it.

For people that watch the debate but aren't solidly in one camp or the other.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I like the twitter handle, @MolonLabe1776US

Right up there with @xXWeedLord420BlazeItXx

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

It was cool when State pulled all of the tax incentives Ham had been promised for his Noah's Ark amusement park

Count Canuckula
Oct 22, 2014
Hilarious anecdote. The Creation Museum in Kentucky has been steadily losing attendance due to the fact that the Museum has not had any major new additions since opening (unlike say a real museum that will have newly discovered fossil exhibits in circulation). They had to raise the entry fee from 5$ to 30$ just to keep up with their failing to bring people back.

Count Canuckula fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Dec 27, 2014

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

KiteAuraan posted:

No one debates with YECs to change the person on stage's view, but to inform and change the minds of the audience. So in that regard it's pretty useful.0

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

Who What Now posted:

No one debates with YECs to change the person on stage's view, but to inform and change the minds of the audience. So in that regard it's pretty useful.0

I've been in the audience before (on the YEC side, I was young and stupid). No one there was swayed by the debate in my experience. In my own case it was studying human evolution at University that changed my mind. Though it may put the seed of doubt in some people, which is certainly a net bonus.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Meh. They have a captive audience. When I lived in Indianapolis, churches would advertise charter buses to the museum. They can charge any price and suckers will pay. If you are in a position to fleece idiots and print your own money, why not do it? Given that you accept an exploitative Capitalist ideology, of course. And for historical reasons, exploitative Capitalism and fundamentalist Christianity are perfectly paired together. The whole of Genesis is 100% literal. But when Jesus said to feed the poor and treat the oppressed with respect, he was clearly being metaphorical.

Twinty Zuleps
May 10, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
The only thing of any worth that Duane Gish ever gave to humanity was his hairpiece.

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

Wulfolme posted:

The only thing of any worth that Duane Gish ever gave to humanity was his hairpiece.

Duane Gish was the very man I saw debate. He was not wearing the hairpiece at that time.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Fulchrum posted:

Literally nothing in science makes sense to a YEC anyway, so as far as they see it, its a wash that way.

The entire concept of the scientific method does not make sense to a YEC because it involves gathering evidence and testing hypothesis to try and understand things instead of blindly accepting whatever your chosen holy authority tells you.

Remember to a lot of creationists the mere act of asking questions is 'offensive' and that really says it all.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

Poizen Jam posted:

My "favorite" part was lambasting atheists about using the term "religious dogma" and then unironically using "evolutionist dogma" in the same loving sentence, :psyboom:

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich
So here's part 2. Part 3 will be up a bit later. Less content this time as they just blindly regurgitated some of the worst politoons for Christmas. Never thought I'd ever see someone actually praising a Catalaino, but there you go.

A random protestor on the street - exactly as important and worth listening to as Sarah Palin.

Okay, thats actually true, but not for them.

"Every time something happens in a society that threatens it, society fixes it. THIS IS BAD!"

First there was hope. But then, the horror of Liberallogic101.com!

MEN (who don't allow equality for women) ARE PIGS. Gee, loses a lot when you see it in context, don't it?

Now why would anyone call you a pig?

Hah hah, sabotage that could lead to escalation and retaliation.

quote:

There are quite a few unfounded stereotypes Liberals like to toss a Conservatives. Liberals are generally too lazy (not to mention stupid) to bother to note that there are actually several types of Conservatives. Unlike Liberals, we actually do tolerate diversity and value differing opinions, therefore there distinct groups within the GOP and Conservatism in general that disagree on many things. The one unifying principle is the idea that the state should serve the needs of the individual, not the other way around. But what follows are the more common criticisms of Conservatives by Liberals, some which are nonsense, some have some truth to them.

1. “Conservatives are Nazis”

This has to be the most hilarious of the accusations. The Nazis were a socialist group that rose to power in Germany in the early 20th century. They believes in a powerful centralized government, which controlled the economy and addressed economic problems with massive social programs. Of all the Nazis did and represented, today’s Liberals are much, much closer than Conservatives. This one is not only patently false, it’s tremendously hypocritical.

2. “Conservatives are greedy”

Well, yeah, of course we are. But then so are Liberals. So is everyone. It’s human nature to be greedy, and greed becomes offset by the level of real compassion the individual has. There’s the kicker. Conservatives generally display compassion by giving only to charities they know will use the money wisely or to ventures that will encourage personal responsibility. Liberals, focused on symbolism more than substance will make grand, public gestures of fake “compassion” where they spend money on themselves in order to bring “awareness” to a need, and call that compassion.

Of course at this point the real differences emerge between the different types of Conservatives. All Conservatives endorse Capitalism, however the degree with which Capitalism should be held in check by other forces differs. Establishment (Economic) Conservatives and libertarians see Capitalism as a perfect system, without the need for checks and balances other than anti-monopoly regulations. Social Conservatives believe that Capitalism, as any system can become evil unless regulated by a strong moral foundation.

3. “Conservatives hate minorities”

And we all know that when Liberals use the term “minorities” they are actually referring to Blacks, but want to sound like they mean all minorities. Conservatives believe people are capable of intelligence, industry and creativity regardless their race, ethnicity, color or heritage. Therefore we reject programs that imply some races are inferior and need “special” help to accomplish anything.

That being said, there is a undercurrent of disdain for the unanswered and unaddressed as well as blatantly obvious problems in the Black community. Crime, imprisonment, out-of-wedlock births, violence, lack of education are all rampant, yet ignored by Liberals and the Media (unless it’s to somehow try to blame it on Conservatives). But that undercurrent exists among both Conservatives and Liberals. Conservatives tend to be a bit more honest about it. There is a segment of Conservatives who seem to have abandoned any real hope for Black people, and express that opinion. They are by no means the majority of Conservatives and are roundly criticized by other Conservatives. That being said, there’s an even greater percentage of Liberals who behave the exact same way, but rather than toss accusation, they simply treat Black people as stupid, hopeless sub humans who need to be tended, herded and cared for like animals. Our racists are at least pragmatic and can be dealt with when shown that they are seeing in Blacks a response, not an attribute. Liberal racists are so tied up in rationalization, it’s almost impossible to ever get them to change.

4. “Conservatives hate homosexuals”

Here the irony is that, while the entire group being painted by the acts of two segments when it comes to greed, the entire group is being painted by the perceived opinion of just one segment of Conservatives. Establishment Conservatives are by and large fairly ambivalent to the issue, other than not particularly being fond of a tiny minority demanding the involuntary endorsement of the majority for something that amounts to a sexual fetish. Libertarians tend to have a “live and let live” attitude which puts them squarely in agreement with a good part of what Liberals and homosexuals claim they want (but actions shows they really want much, much more). However Social Conservatives are the ones that object to the normalization of homosexuality. They don’t hate homosexuals, and remind them of this constantly, but objects to the behavior homosexuals insist they must perform due to some imagine genetic compulsion.

While blamed for violence against homosexuals, Conservatives argue for stricter punishment for anyone committing crimes, than Liberals argue for “special” crimes committed against homosexuals. The truth is the vast majority of homosexuals assaulted or murdered are committed by other homosexuals. Most of the rest by parties completely unaware of the victim’s sexual peccadillos. If anyone hates homosexuals, it’s homosexuals themselves, which is exactly why Social Conservatives oppose the normalization of a lifestyle so fraught with self-loathing.

5. “Conservatives hate women”

This is rationalized because Conservatives, as a rule, disagree with Liberals’ ideas about gender. Conservatives acknowledge that there exists a tremendous difference between men and women, both having their strengths and weaknesses. Liberals then interpret that as saying women are less than men. Conservatives acknowledge that the difference between men and women is a product of genetics, biology and biochemistry. Liberals insist that any difference is an artificial, social construct and that by endorsing such a construct, Conservatives disenfranchise, marginalize and victimize women. Meanwhile modern women suffer more and more from self-esteem problems as their role in society is more and more defined as identical to men. It’s like taking the basketball team to the football field and telling them that unless they beat the football team in football, they aren’t real athletes, and unless you agree to the terms, you hate basketball players.

6. “Conservatives hate the poor”

Just as there are different kinds of Conservatives, there are different kinds of “poor”. There are the “Professional Poor”. These are people who are poor because that’s how they’ve chosen to get by. They are enrolled in every type of social program available, and will cheat those programs at the drop of a hat. Then there are the “Intentionally Poor”. These are people who understand quite well what it takes to make more money, but weighing the option of pursuing money versus staying where they are, they choose to enjoy a simple life. They know how to make ends meet, and be satisfied with 75% ground chuck, ramen noodles, a 15 year-old car and a mobile home and their biggest worry is how rich, elite Liberals will try to screw them over next. Then there are the “Unintentionally Poor”. These are people who through some circumstance of event find themselves trapped in a lower income, but still make the most of it. Then there are the “Pretending to be Poor”. These are middle class people who like to pretend they are “suffering” because they can only afford a 2 year-old car rather than a brand new one. These are who Liberals refer to as “the working poor”.

Liberals love the “Professional Poor” and make sure thy are encouraged to continue just as they are. The “Intentional poor” and the “Unintentional Poor” Liberals ignore, unless they can talk them into whining about their situation. Liberals also love to exploit the “Pretending to be Poor” because then they can exploit them as well.

Conservatives tend to see poverty as a temporary condition, and look upon poor people complaining as one would look on a perfectly healthy person, laying on the ground, demanding other people pick them up.

Conservatives don’t hate poor people, but they do tire of people—in the most affluent, free nation in the history of mankind—complaining about not having enough stuff, that’s readily available to anyone willing to work for it.

7. “Conservatives are religious fanatics”

Again, the entire group painted by a warped perception of just one segment. The biggest problem Social Conservatives have in trying to campaign for—not to mention implement—their ideas, is the apathy if not outright hostility of the other two main factions of Conservatism. But are even Social Conservatives religious fanatics? Obviously it’s a relative term, and since Liberals hold any religion other than Liberalism itself in disdain and Christianity in particular in complete derision, it’s obviously an inaccurate term. The two main social issues in America today are abortion and legally-forced normalization of homosexuality. Considering that there are quite a few non-religious people who oppose both, it is questionable if they are then merely religious issues. At one time, in the history of mankind, washing your hands before you ate was a practice performed exclusively by one small group of people, for entirely religious reasons. The idea that the practice should then be rejected because it was historically a religion act would be preposterous. There are sound, non-religious grounds for rejecting both abortion as well as legally-forced normalization of homosexuality, so claiming opposition proves religious fanaticism makes no sense.

8. “Conservatives only care about babies before they are born”

Yet women who find themselves with a small child and in need of help can always turn to Crisis Pregnancy Centers which abound throughout the US and are almost exclusively, financially supported by Conservatives. CPCs provide diapers, baby food, formula, car seats, baby toys, financial assistance, post-natal medical care, housing and a host of other needs which would be of little help to an unborn child. Now if you want Liberals’ help, you have to go to the government, faces the condescending attitude of Liberal social workers (I speak from experience), get your WIC voucher and buy the few items those will pay for, which do not include most of the things CPCs will provide.

9. “Conservatives reject science”

The truth is Conservatives reject pseudo-science. Conservatives reject the pseudo-science of Global Warming™ which has been roundly and repeatedly been proven a hoax. Conservatives reject the pseudo-science of the mythical “Gay Gene” which has no basis in reality. Many Conservatives reject the pseudo-science of Evolution as a fact, because it simply has never been proven as such. In essence, Conservatives reject mythology parading as science.

10. Conservatives lie

While this is overly broad as well as vague, I felt it needed to be addressed since it is one of the most frequent accusations Liberals spew. First of all you’ll likely find people who lie in almost any group. Second, the “lies” Liberals generally refer to are either disagreeing with them or some vacuous, peripheral detail they suddenly demand 100% accuracy on or a blatant misrepresentation of what some Conservative has said.

Here’s an example: Mother Jones claims that Conservatives are lying when they say net neutrality will allow the government to tax the internet. As proof they hold up the current utilities controlled by the government which, they claim, are not taxed. However looking over my cell phone bill (a utility the government regulates) I see a Federal Universal Service Charge, an Oklahoma Universal Service Charge, a Regulatory Cost Recovery Fee, a 911 Service Fee, City Sales Tax, County Sales Tax and an Oklahoma Sales Tax. Seven different taxes added to my bill (only three of which are actually called taxes even though they all are taxes). So when Conservatives say the government will tax the internet if they are allowed to “regulate” it, and Liberals say they won’t–who’s actually doing the lying?

But this is an example of Liberals accusing Conservatives of lying.

Yeah, what do conservatives have in common with the poor hating, homosexuality outlawing, authoritarian, gun rights expanding, minority demonizing, abortion outlawing group of white people? Oh, but see, they used the word SOCIALIST! WHICH IS WHAT WE CALL LIBERALS! QED

Some white people had jobs and lost them due to progress, therefore the privilige that got them those jobs in the first place. WHITE PRIVILIGE PROVEN FALSE!

quote:

President Obama has issued a form of executive action known as the presidential memorandum more often than any other president in history — using it to take unilateral action even as he has signed fewer executive orders.

When these two forms of directives are taken together, Obama is on track to take more high-level executive actions than any president since Harry Truman battled the “Do Nothing Congress” almost seven decades ago, according to a USA TODAY review of presidential documents.

Obama has issued executive orders to give federal employees the day after Christmas off, to impose economic sanctions and to determine how national secrets are classified. He’s used presidential memoranda to make policy on gun control, immigration and labor regulations. Tuesday, he used a memorandum to declare Bristol Bay, Alaska, off-limits to oil and gas exploration.

Like executive orders, presidential memoranda don’t require action by Congress. They have the same force of law as executive orders and often have consequences just as far-reaching. And some of the most significant actions of the Obama presidency have come not by executive order but by presidential memoranda.

Read the full article at USA Today.

Well, sure, it may not SEEM like he's a tyrant, but whn you add in these lesser forms of executive action that have far less power, then treat them completely equally, HE REALLY IS A TYRANT!

I mean, whats the worst that could come from letting corporations decide what information children should know? We're not gonna get to a cool dystopic corporate hellscape without a little push!

Correct, they did incite terror in the population for their own gains.

quote:

In October 2013, 50 U.S. senators signed a letter to President Obama pledging not to give advice and consent to the U.N. Arms Trade Treaty (ATT or the “No Guns for People Socialists Disagree With” Treaty). In order for a treaty to be ratified, no more than 33 senators can oppose it.

The opposition is a setback for the administration, which maintains that its hard-nosed stance during negotiations delivered a text that meets key U.S. priorities. Still, ATT critics are urging lawmakers in the new Congress to take steps to ensure the administration does not advance the treaty even if it is not ratified.

Alarm bells have been triggered by advocacy groups’ assertions that the treaty will form part of the broad body of international law, implying that even in the absence of Senate ratification the U.S. will be bound by its provisions.

In a statement last week, for instance, Amnesty International said that the ATT “will become binding international law on 24 December, after which it will require states to adhere to strict global rules on international arms transfers to stem the flow of conventional arms and munitions that fuel atrocities and abuse.”

“No Guns for People Socialists Disagree With” , or as they are commonly referred to, "Insane dictators". The things major opponents include Kim Jong Un and Bashar Al-Assad. Those are the people that right wingers are so desperate to defend.

Brings to mind that old poem. First they came for Hitler, and I did not speak up for I was not Hitler....

I don't recall God ever saying anything about the right to guns.

Devestating burn, comparing Obama to well known figure of public hatred, Santa Claus.

Randandal
Feb 26, 2009

KomradeX posted:

I really wish facebook had a smiley rolling his eyes and doing :fh: I swear it's pretty much the only appropriate response to posts like that

I found, saved, and frequently use this one.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
"If white people have privelege how do bad things happen to them" is the new "if global warming why snow"

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Fulchrum posted:

Bit off topic, but just so I get it right - is there a particular way you want me to do the Roundup tomorrow? Top 12 worst? Only mocking the easy ones?
I like it when you post the way you want to post.

VVV what VVV

Dr. Faustus fucked around with this message at 10:36 on Dec 27, 2014

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
LIBERALS WILL BE RE-ELECTED IN A LANDSLIDE

Dr. Faustus posted:

I like it when you post the way you want to post.

Fulchrum, what he means to say is

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Neruz posted:

The entire concept of the scientific method does not make sense to a YEC because it involves gathering evidence and testing hypothesis to try and understand things instead of blindly accepting whatever your chosen holy authority tells you.

Remember to a lot of creationists the mere act of asking questions is 'offensive' and that really says it all.

Except that sometimes they...uh...well. Just...watch this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZFG5PKw504

...yeah.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

ToxicSlurpee posted:

...yeah.

I think my brain just broke. The sheer amount of willful misunderstanding of science is staggering.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

ToxicSlurpee posted:

...yeah.

Every time I see that video another cluster of neurons tries to commit suicide.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
I wish I lived in the world where science worked like these people imagine. :allears:

Where every time you open up a jar of peanut butter there's a good chance of The Thing popping out.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Yeah a world where magic existed would be way more interesting. Probably also significantly more dangerous as well as you rarely get 'interesting' without 'dangerous' in some capacity.

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

ToxicSlurpee posted:

...yeah.

Wasn't there a recent experiment that showed that in fact that really could indeed happen if the right conditions are met? Something about certain elements and the right amount of external energy input?

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
We don't know how life actually started, not precisely. There are a number of competing hypothesis and at the moment one of the most popular ones is that the first life formed as proto-cells in porous rock near coastal volcanic vents, using the rock in place of cell walls and feeding off the chemicals in the water around them. But the reality is at the moment we don't know for sure.

A number of experiments are ongoing to try and replicate the creation of new life from nonliving compounds, some have shown promise (I believe one of the experiments has generated some compounds that look a lot like basic genetic structures by electrocuting the poo poo out of a sealed bottle of chemicals) but as yet no-one has been able to do it. Given the billions of years involved in the evolution of life the first time we probably shouldn't expect to be able to pin down the exact conditions very soon; hell even if we finally worked it out 500 years from now that would still be a hell of a lot faster than evolution :v:

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

KiteAuraan posted:

Wasn't there a recent experiment that showed that in fact that really could indeed happen if the right conditions are met? Something about certain elements and the right amount of external energy input?

Miller-Urey in the fifties was the classic - ammonia, reducing atmosphere and some sparks producing a whole heap of amino acids. Later ones have managed to make adenine, one of the four bases in DNA, but I confess I haven't heard anything about that beyond Wikipedia

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

ToxicSlurpee posted:

...yeah.

I really don't get why people get evolution and abiogenesis confused, they aren't related.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

OwlFancier posted:

I really don't get why people get evolution and abiogenesis confused, they aren't related.

Because they don't understand what they're trying to talk about.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Neruz posted:

Because they don't understand what they're trying to talk about.

I get that, but where do they get their ideas of evolution from? It's never been an attempt to explain the origin of life on earth, even Darwin's work spells it out in the title, "On the Origin of Species" It explains the diversification of life, not its creation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

OwlFancier posted:

I get that, but where do they get their ideas of evolution from? It's never been an attempt to explain the origin of life on earth, even Darwin's work spells it out in the title, "On the Origin of Species" It explains the diversification of life, not its creation.

From each other, they don't want to learn about how this poo poo actually works so they just make things up that sound suitably absurd and then parade their ignorance around crowing about how it proves them right. Unfortunately lots of people are willing to accept this nonsense without examining it themselves (remember you're not supposed to question god's words or those who interpret them) because they see the people saying this nonsense like Duane Gish as being in positions of trusted authority and thus they must be telling the truth because why would someone lie about something like that?

Remember that YEC's have no issue with things like gravity or light because these things are obvious and all around them and easy to understand, but evolution not only violates their beliefs (which means they're more likely to dismiss it outright regardless of veracity) but involves concepts that are not all around them and lengths of time that are pretty much impossible to properly understand. Terms like 'billions of years' and 'amino acids' do not make the same intuitive sense as 'things fall' does and thus are much harder to accept, especially when accepting them means admitting that a significant chunk of what you believe to be truth is in fact wrong and that trusted authority figures have been lying to you. Most people would rather continue to believe in a lie than admit fault unless literally forced to (and I suspect there are probably entire books written on the psychology involved behind that.)