Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Now that's a hood scoop! :haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Fucknag posted:

Mine didn't even have a cat, it had been cut and straight-piped, straight into a Flowmaster and dumping in front of the axle.

And yeah, its SBC heritage really shows when it's unmuffled.

I've got a video somewhere of what my 327 Corvette sounded like with the mufflers off. It blew a big loving hole in one at a stoplight, so I just pulled them while I waited for a new exhaust to arrive.

Awesome. It sounded awesome.

Edit: The camera sucks, so it sounds harsher than it did in person.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IjY0jw3WRmE

Godholio fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Dec 24, 2014

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Godholio posted:

I've got a video somewhere of what my 327 Corvette sounded like with the mufflers off. It blew a big loving hole in one at a stoplight, so I just pulled them while I waited for a new exhaust to arrive.

Awesome. It sounded awesome.

Edit: The camera sucks, so it sounds harsher than it did in person.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IjY0jw3WRmE

My Cutlass sounded pretty decent with open headers, but I think it sounded way better with the Magnaflow exhaust on:
http://wright-here.net/gallery/v/kevin/olds/magnaflow/CIMG0998-med.MP4.html

I don't appear to have a video of the open headers, unfortunately.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

We doin' open headers? I took a video from when I did my tranny swap this year. My C10 with a 283 and mild cam. Sucks that my phone mic isnt good cause it sounded ridiculous when I revved it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=11uBeth8iiE

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Biscuit Joiner posted:

Here is the original post,

I usually try to avoid going to the hospital but I was worried about rusty metal embedded in my finger and I couldn't remember the last time I had a Tetanus shot. I wrapped a shop towel around it and drove myself to the hospital, of course my car is manual transmission.
Oh my god. I had to squint at it from an angle but now I can't unsee it. :gonk:

Jonny Nox posted:

I had to read the entire original post to grasp that that wasn't a piece of gauze on the metal...
Yeah, this is basically what I saw too. Had to imagine a finger pointing East by Southeast.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

OFFICER 13 INCH posted:

My buddy said the nail reminded him of a smiling turtle.

This is amazing.

Biscuit Joiner
May 18, 2008
I'm going to have to save that picture for when I eventually get around to buying an avatar.

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta
Just in case anyone was wondering, this is what a ruined shock mount looks like on my Century. Installed at the same time as a new set of shocks, back in April, so less than a year old. Click for larger, if that's your thing.

JukeboxHerostratus
Nov 25, 2009

You can't see it too well at the very start, but there's smoke puffing out the breather at the rear of the valve cover. Check out the puffing when I pull off the pvc vac.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZoK5YB8AiYg
just jeep things

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Horse Divorce posted:

You can't see it too well at the very start, but there's smoke puffing out the breather at the rear of the valve cover. Check out the puffing when I pull off the pvc vac.
just jeep things

That ain't right

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Left Ventricle posted:

Just in case anyone was wondering, this is what a ruined shock mount looks like on my Century. Installed at the same time as a new set of shocks, back in April, so less than a year old. Click for larger, if that's your thing.

Looks like it's missing a pair of washers to spread the load across the entire mount, so instead all the tension was clamped in the radius of the nut. Did it come with them?

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Horse Divorce posted:

just jeep things

Um, yeah, that's broke.

Fucknag posted:

Looks like it's missing a pair of washers to spread the load across the entire mount, so instead all the tension was clamped in the radius of the nut. Did it come with them?

I was going to say the same thing.Whoever installed them forgot some parts. I hope it wasn't you, LV.

G-Mach
Feb 6, 2011
Looks like someone forgot to install conical washers.

DELETED
Nov 14, 2004
Disgruntled

Horse Divorce posted:

just jeep things

4.2? The 258 in my Scout was the same way and ran like that for about 10k miles until i got rid of it. A can of carb cleaner and a wire brush were standard things for me to carry so I could clean the oil fouling off the plugs if I had to idle for extended periods of time :q:

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta

Fucknag posted:

G-Mach posted:

Looks like someone forgot to install conical washers.

Darchangel posted:

I was going to say the same thing.Whoever installed them forgot some parts. I hope it wasn't you, LV.

Uh...

I guess that makes this a horrible mechanic failure? :shobon: I don't recall if the mounts came with them or not.

JukeboxHerostratus
Nov 25, 2009

DELETED posted:

4.2? The 258 in my Scout was the same way and ran like that for about 10k miles until i got rid of it. A can of carb cleaner and a wire brush were standard things for me to carry so I could clean the oil fouling off the plugs if I had to idle for extended periods of time :q:

Yup! It was like this when I bought it and the owner said it wouldn't be coming with a warranty. To that I said, with the plans I have in mind, I'd be voiding any kind of warranty you can think of. Now I'm just waiting to get my hands on my uncle's XJ for the swap. This just futher solidifies the 4.2's fate.

A Melted Tarp
Nov 12, 2013

At the date
My friend's Wrangler had so much blow-by it eventually popped the cam seal off and covered the engine in oil, setting it ablaze. ~~~ just jeep things ~~~

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

When I slapped Vortec heads on my old 350, it had enough blowby from the massive jump in compression that it would pop the dipstick out before I put an externally vented breather in each valve cover, along with the PCV valve.

Ran that fucker another 30k miles until the 700R4 shat itself.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

A Melted Tarp posted:

My friend's Wrangler had so much blow-by it eventually popped the cam seal off and covered the engine in oil, setting it ablaze. ~~~ just jeep things ~~~

My friends '88 Cherokee had enough blowby at 350k that his air box would fill up with oil every time he drove it and it would sit there and make a puddle wherever he parked. He rebuilt it and as far as I know it's still going 15 years later (NC, no rust).

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
My MJ's stock motor had so much blowby it filled the airbox with oil, but somehow never acted like a teakettle or lacked power. It easily did 120 the few times I decided to try.

It had like .01 to .015 of ring ridge when I tore it apart, still ran great, just missing a motor mount due to extreme deathwobble.

The only thing I really worry about for your 4.0 swap plans is the fan issue. You need to go with the donor alternator (well, technically, you don't, but its a better design imo...) and some other stuff, and this all means serpentine belt instead of v-belt, which means you can't use the J truck water pump (spins the wrong way, flange offset and bolt pattern is wrong). Which all makes the fan setup interesting.

This is all based off how I've gotten it all put together, there may be other successful combinations I've not happened upon yet. If you find a way to put it together I would love to hear it, this is the part of the swap where my info is extremely patchy.

kastein fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Dec 28, 2014

JukeboxHerostratus
Nov 25, 2009

I was planning on going for an electric fan with a thermal relay, or perhaps just on in acc, unless i'm warned this is a terrible idea.

I'm wondering how I'm going to pull the engine, I've never done a job that big. I don't know where to connect the lift, and my backyard isn't exactly smooth ground so I'm afraid the lift will just fall over and wreck everything. But this isn't my only worry. Should I get a new cam & push rods? If I do, should I also get new valves and springs? Motor mounts? Wiring? How do I disconnect the crankshaft from the transmission? Is it a few bolts on the flex plate, or what else is buried down there that I've never even seen? I can use the xj fuel pump, right? Can I use the XJ power brake diaphragm until I get hydroboost? Will the hb out of an astro or suburban fit? Do I need to bore the cylinders, or will a good honing take care of it? And what's the deal with airline food?

You know that feeling where you get when you're on the high dive? You can't back out because there's a line, and you just know the landing is going to hurt. Yeah, I'm in way over my head and I know I'm going to look like a fool when I ask for help for the most basic things.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!

Horse Divorce posted:

You know that feeling where you get when you're on the high dive? You can't back out because there's a line, and you just know the landing is going to hurt. Yeah, I'm in way over my head and I know I'm going to look like a fool when I ask for help for the most basic things.

The simple fact that you've thought this through far enough to be worried (with very specific and relevant issues that you know you need to answer first) pretty much points to you being completely able to pull this off.

It's people who go in not knowing what they don't know with reckless abandon who end up in a disaster.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Motronic posted:

The simple fact that you've thought this through far enough to be worried (with very specific and relevant issues that you know you need to answer first) pretty much points to you being completely able to pull this off.

It's people who go in not knowing what they don't know with reckless abandon who end up in a disaster.

Leave me and my explorer outta this.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Horse Divorce posted:

I was planning on going for an electric fan with a thermal relay, or perhaps just on in acc, unless i'm warned this is a terrible idea.

I'm wondering how I'm going to pull the engine, I've never done a job that big. I don't know where to connect the lift, and my backyard isn't exactly smooth ground so I'm afraid the lift will just fall over and wreck everything. But this isn't my only worry. Should I get a new cam & push rods? If I do, should I also get new valves and springs? Motor mounts? Wiring? How do I disconnect the crankshaft from the transmission? Is it a few bolts on the flex plate, or what else is buried down there that I've never even seen? I can use the xj fuel pump, right? Can I use the XJ power brake diaphragm until I get hydroboost? Will the hb out of an astro or suburban fit? Do I need to bore the cylinders, or will a good honing take care of it? And what's the deal with airline food?

In order from cam/pushrods?
Nah and nah, don't bother, yes, custom wiring, there are some bolts, probably with some customizing, maybe, no idea but wouldn't be surprised, maybe?, 3 peanuts should be enough for anyone.

Are you going right for a stroker or dumping the 4.0 in stock first to pave the way? I lean toward the latter simply because it is easy and means you learn all these things on a longblock you can replace for like 200 at the local yard, vs a stroker you will have actual money into.

This reminds me though, gonna keep the same transmission the j truck came with? You may need the hesco cps relocation kit simply because a th400/whatever flexplate doesn't have the right cps reluctor wheel pattern (or have one at all) and the bell won't have a cps port. I lean toward using an aw4, but that opens a whole other can of worms you likely don't want to mess with, namely driveshaft lengths, shifter linkage, tcase shift linkage, trans mount, trans cooling lines... etc.

I can go into this in more detail Monday but phone typing it all is too painful.

JukeboxHerostratus
Nov 25, 2009

that's right, i'm going straight for the stroker and the bragging rights that come along with it. If I've got the parts and the opportunity, I might as well do it right and go all the way.

Yeah, cps kit is already in my mind, and I've got the hesco kit bookmarked. They also have a spacer if I have the long crank shaft, but I don't think i'll need it. I'm going to keep the stock transmission. After being able to drive it to the back yard, i don't think it's broken. Old and tired maybe, but not broken. Stock tx means i'm going to have to figure up something for the speed sender unit for the computer, but i can get one of those off of a dakota if I needed. Otherwise, hesco gets even more money.

save your thumbs, we can talk later

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
Using a cherry picker on dirt seems like a bad idea.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Splizwarf posted:

Put down a piece of scrap plywood. Plus, it may be easier to lift the motor then push the truck out from under it than try to roll the hoist on uneven ground (until you lower it, anyway).

DefaultPeanut
Nov 4, 2006
What's not to like?

Splizwarf posted:

Its not bad. It should make cleaning up the ~30L of hidden coolant easier to clean up when the engine rocks and spills it.

IIRC on the I6 4.0L, there are big beefy bolts, or head bolts with threads sticking up that are on opposing corners of the cylinder head that you can slip a link of chain over, then a washer and nut.
Remove the hood.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Has kastein ever pulled an engine not on dirt?

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Safety Dance posted:

Has kastein ever pulled an engine not on dirt?

To be fair, his engine hoist moves around on dirt a little bit better than most. :v:

JukeboxHerostratus
Nov 25, 2009

Raluek posted:

Plus, it may be easier to lift the motor then push the truck out from under it than try to roll the hoist on uneven ground (until you lower it, anyway).

Now that's a good idea, why didn't I think of that?

My garage is currently housing my brother's javelin. I might just have it trailored to a storage facility so I can have the workspace.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Horse Divorce posted:

that's right, i'm going straight for the stroker and the bragging rights that come along with it. If I've got the parts and the opportunity, I might as well do it right and go all the way.

Yeah, cps kit is already in my mind, and I've got the hesco kit bookmarked. They also have a spacer if I have the long crank shaft, but I don't think i'll need it. I'm going to keep the stock transmission. After being able to drive it to the back yard, i don't think it's broken. Old and tired maybe, but not broken. Stock tx means i'm going to have to figure up something for the speed sender unit for the computer, but i can get one of those off of a dakota if I needed. Otherwise, hesco gets even more money.

save your thumbs, we can talk later

There is an ingenious bastard parts contraption we built to get speedo in the CJ swap in my thread. It involves some thing off a dakota that farts a signal out electrically and has a cable pass through. When I screwed that piece of poo poo right into the trans I was like:

:aaaaa:

DELETED
Nov 14, 2004
Disgruntled

Horse Divorce posted:

Pulling those things out is a piece of cake, as I recall we just pulled the valve cover off, pulled a head bolt loose on the front and on the rear of the head, then slipped them through a link of the chain and threaded them back in4.. Put just a bit of tension on the cherry picker when you break the motor mounts loose to take some of the load off. I'd recommend using a leveler since it makes maneuvering a straight 6 much easier.

buttcrackmenace
Nov 14, 2007

see its right there in the manual where it says
Grimey Drawer
so I just picked up a Chrysler 200 from the Newark airport.

it has 4503 miles

and a bad right-front wheel bearing.

"Imported From Detroit" yaaa bullshit

buttcrackmenace
Nov 14, 2007

see its right there in the manual where it says
Grimey Drawer
lol.

there is a *thunk* which can be felt and heard by all occupants on the 3-4 shift

the spare tire well is full of water because the trunk weatherstripping leaks

WTF.

how is a brand-new car so lovely.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

buttcrackmenace posted:

lol.

there is a *thunk* which can be felt and heard by all occupants on the 3-4 shift

WTF.

http://content.time.com/time/photogallery/0,29307,1882089_1850973,00.html

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!

Raluek posted:

Put down a piece of scrap plywood. Plus, it may be easier to lift the motor then push the truck out from under it than try to roll the hoist on uneven ground (until you lower it, anyway).

I've been using scrap plywood/MDF to pull motors in my gravel-floor garage for years now (but not more: finally poured concrete a couple months ago).

I've also pulled a lot of motors with a chain hoist on a tree branch.

It's not optimal, but it can be done.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

buttcrackmenace posted:

lol.

WTF.

VW solved that on the rabbit in the 70s by drilling a hole into the spare tire well.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

buttcrackmenace posted:

so I just picked up a Chrysler 200 from the Newark airport.

it has 4503 miles

and a bad right-front wheel bearing.

"Imported From Detroit" yaaa bullshit

We got a 200 in Boston with less than 200 miles on it and it suffered catastrophic engine failure that left us stranded in bumfuck with the rental company scrambling to get us a replacement car.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
Because Chrysler is loving god awful.