Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
All that photo is missing is Wayne Gretzky's balls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!

Flipperwaldt posted:

Nah, you didn't.

Could the photo have been a really weirdly distorted mosaic? I know somethings doing panoramas with a phone app can make poo poo look weird in small spaces.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Blindeye posted:

Could the photo have been a really weirdly distorted mosaic? I know somethings doing panoramas with a phone app can make poo poo look weird in small spaces.
It's literally just the extremely exaggerated perspective of a wide angle lens. Barrel distortion has apparently been corrected for very well by the camera. Things farther away, like the corner of the room you see in the middle, seem smaller; things closer by, like the corners of the room left and right, seem bigger. Throw in the angled roofline and the zigzags and your brain shits itself.

The same corner if the roofline weren't angled (shelf and top line of the bird picture in green):

With angled roofline:

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Man, that is so loving bizarre. I stand by the recommendation that everyone have a level, because apparently my brain can't be trusted with much on its own.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

This thread isn't up to code: M.C. Escher approved

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Non-Euclidean Construction Tales

Deep 13
Sep 6, 2007
"Let's think the unthinkable, let's do the undoable, let's WORK OUT"
I saw this in a waiting room today!

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Hot prong up AND the magical ethernet/phone cable wormhole! I love it.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Bad Munki posted:

Non-Euclidean Construction Tales

Cyclopean Architecture Thread

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Ashcans posted:

This is why everyone should just own a level, it's almost impossible to gently caress up even if you are someone who can't work out how to measure anything.

Or in this guy's case a baseball, a bear can, just anything that could roll really.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

FCKGW posted:

a bear can,

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug
Crooked shelf? Get yourself a pissed off grizzly with its head stuck in a can. That will make any DIY mixup seem minor in comparison.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Hey, found something in my house that isn't up to code!

Hall bathroom toilet was pissing water out of the TOP of the tank, where the flush lever is. Fill valve was busted and wouldn't shut off the water. Normally, the toilet would just run. But it doesn't just run if you have the overflow valve going up all the way to the tank lid :downs:

The overflow pipe was two inches above the fill valve, rather than one inch below as code and common sense would both dictate

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

canyoneer posted:

common sense

I found the thing your installer was missing!

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

slap me silly posted:

I found the thing your installer was missing!

I disagree. They had common sense, but it was overruled by their utter lack of giving a poo poo.

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012

Indolent Bastard posted:

I disagree. They had common sense, but it was overruled by their utter lack of giving a poo poo.

Ding ding ding. Absolutely.

Half of my apartment seems to have been built with structural silicon sealant and self-sealing air, put in place by someone whose overriding attitude was WELP GONNA SAW THIS IN HALF WITH A HAMMER

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Jeherrin posted:

Half of my apartment seems to have been built with structural silicon sealant and self-sealing air, put in place by someone whose overriding attitude was WELP GONNA SAW THIS IN HALF WITH A HAMMER

Because people are incentivized to worth this way when construction jobs are pieced out and priced/bid on by the job.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Jeherrin posted:

WELP GONNA SAW THIS IN HALF WITH A HAMMER

For some reason this nearly has me in tears of laughter.

ductonius
Apr 9, 2007
I heard there's a cream for that...

Jeherrin posted:

WELP GONNA SAW THIS IN HALF WITH A HAMMER

I have unironically done this at work. It was for demolition so we could replace plywood with steel.

old-timey newspaper gal
Feb 23, 2005

Leviathan Song posted:

I think that's actually close to right. look at the zig zag pattern. It's perfectly level with the floor and shelf but way off on the ceiling. The ceiling slopes heavily down from the left to right of that picture. The light probably also messes with perspective a bit.

There is no way in hell that shelf is close to straight. This isn't some Gandalf/Hobbit forced perspective poo poo going on there. Occam's Razor and all that.

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Hot Jam posted:

There is no way in hell that shelf is close to straight. This isn't some Gandalf/Hobbit forced perspective poo poo going on there. Occam's Razor and all that.

I dunno, Flipperwaldt's posts were pretty convincing to me.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
It looks off at first, yes, but as someone who does visual poo poo for a living, I had to take several seconds to look at it and while I don't know if it's EXACTLY level, I think it's actually A LOT closer than it appears at first glance. It looks more like someone who knows what they're doing decided to run a fun-house illusion on that wall in order to gently caress with people, because while I still can't eyeball it out, the perspective lines seem to agree with it being very close to level; I think that either the room's not truly square (and I'm not counting the clear grade of the roofline), or there's some distortion from the camera, however, making it more difficult to gauge.

Shady Amish Terror fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Dec 25, 2014

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Biscuits and Gravy.
Looking for advice on how to mount a TV in my old rear end basement. It's 1952 construction with drywall over horizontal furring strips, over block wall (I think cinder block, not sure how to tell). No studs that I can find. Potential plasma TV, articulating mount (to extend the TV out a bit), and soundbar would be100+ lbs.

It sounds like I mount plywood, with enough layers to be flush with the drywall (about 2") and attach the mount to that with lag screws or tapcons. I've seen different suggestions for mounting the plywood though, toggles, tapcons, and lead anchors with or without epoxy. Cinder is supposed to be weaker, which is why I saw epoxy suggested. I'll ultimately have a handyman do it, since I don't have a hammer drill, but I want to be sure this gets in right and doesn't look like crap.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Sounds like the perfect excuse to buy a hammer drill!

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Johnny Aztec posted:

Sounds like the perfect excuse to buy a hammer drill!

Yeah, don't miss this window of opportunity dude.

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Biscuits and Gravy.

slap me silly posted:

Yeah, don't miss this window of opportunity dude.

If only I had a garage. But even if I do get one, how should I put this thing up?

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Sounds like a perfect excuse to sell your house and get one with a garage!

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Johnny Aztec posted:

Sounds like a perfect excuse to sell your house and get one with a garage enough land to build a full-size shop!

Let's be honest here.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

You know, that's a question I've been kicking around for a while. What do planning and zoning commissions have against building out shops with an attached apartment?

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Liquid Communism posted:

You know, that's a question I've been kicking around for a while. What do planning and zoning commissions have against building out shops with an attached apartment?
Nothing. As long long as you properly document it and pay the necessary fees and taxes.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

The house I grew up in and my parents still live at has a second house on the property that used to be for renting out to people. Its first floor was half garage, half living area, and the top floor was a kitchenette and dining room and small bedroom and bathroom. By the time my parents got the property it had been foreclosed on and the rental house was in disrepair, so they got it pretty cheap considering.

Anyway the first thing my dad did after moving in (before I was even born) was to tear out all that stupid "comfortable living area" on the first floor and make a workshop out of it with all of the aggregated tools and nerd poo poo he's collected over his lifetime. The first project he built there was his ideal vision of a work bench, followed by a :krad: home-built amplifier (he's an electrical engineer) with four loving 15" subwoofers prominently embedded high in the wall. In order to turn it on you had to flip up some of those red covered toggle switches like you were arming a nuclear bomb, it was pretty great. The top floor living area became the place he could go to work on his hundreds of precisely accurate model rockets (he's a pretty huge :spergin: if you can't tell), while the bedroom was for naps. Now that I'm living on my own and can't just mooch off his work area and tools I'm really missing being able to, you know, build anything larger than can fit on my four foot long desk in the corner of one room of my apartment that is reserved for project junk and not needed for living area.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

The house I grew up in and my parents still live at has a second house on the property that used to be for renting out to people. Its first floor was half garage, half living area, and the top floor was a kitchenette and dining room and small bedroom and bathroom. By the time my parents got the property it had been foreclosed on and the rental house was in disrepair, so they got it pretty cheap considering.

Anyway the first thing my dad did after moving in (before I was even born) was to tear out all that stupid "comfortable living area" on the first floor and make a workshop out of it with all of the aggregated tools and nerd poo poo he's collected over his lifetime. The first project he built there was his ideal vision of a work bench, followed by a :krad: home-built amplifier (he's an electrical engineer) with four loving 15" subwoofers prominently embedded high in the wall. In order to turn it on you had to flip up some of those red covered toggle switches like you were arming a nuclear bomb, it was pretty great. The top floor living area became the place he could go to work on his hundreds of precisely accurate model rockets (he's a pretty huge :spergin: if you can't tell), while the bedroom was for naps. Now that I'm living on my own and can't just mooch off his work area and tools I'm really missing being able to, you know, build anything larger than can fit on my four foot long desk in the corner of one room of my apartment that is reserved for project junk and not needed for living area.

Sounds like you need to get your poo poo together.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

Things will all change when he has his idea for the flux capacitor.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

That's honestly what I want. Something big enough for a floor lift so I can stop working on my Jeep in the slush when the rear end in a top hat device throws a part in mid-winter, and with enough room for all my assorted hobbies. Throw a 1 bedroom cottage on the back and I'm a happy man.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Liquid Communism posted:

That's honestly what I want. Something big enough for a floor lift so I can stop working on my Jeep in the slush when the rear end in a top hat device throws a part in mid-winter, and with enough room for all my assorted hobbies. Throw a 1 bedroom cottage on the back and I'm a happy man.

If I were single, this would be where I lived.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

Darchangel posted:

If I were single, this would be where I lived.

My wife is 100% on board with a place like that. :smug:

If only we could afford it. :sigh:

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Splizwarf posted:

My wife is 100% on board with a place like that. :smug:

If only we could afford it. :sigh:

http://mortonbuildings.com/

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

The dream is real.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

Oh my god. Yes yes yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

I want that but the airplane hangar version.