Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos
How easy is it to change the nib on a Lamy Al-Star? I received one for christmas from my parents, after they saw me using my Safari. The one they gave me came with a medium nib, and I already find the Fine nib on my Safari is too wide. I've already ordered a Very Fine nib, but I'm wondering if there is anything I need to be careful with when changing it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deviantfish
Jun 25, 2006

P L E A S E
D O N ' T
Grimey Drawer

Soylent Yellow posted:

How easy is it to change the nib on a Lamy Al-Star? I received one for christmas from my parents, after they saw me using my Safari. The one they gave me came with a medium nib, and I already find the Fine nib on my Safari is too wide. I've already ordered a Very Fine nib, but I'm wondering if there is anything I need to be careful with when changing it?

Just put some scotch tape on the nib and pull. It's really, really easy.

Missing Donut
Apr 24, 2003

Trying to lead a middle-aged life. Well, it's either that or drop dead.

grack posted:

I don't give a right middle poo poo if the customer service is amazing, their manufacturing and quality control is absolutely, staggeringly awful. I'd rather have a pen that works properly the first time than spend 3 months waiting for replacement parts to be shipped to me and hoping against hope it doesn't vomit ink all over the place every time I pick the damned thing up. Hell, even my $5 Chinese pen collection has had substantially fewer problems.

The best customer service is the customer service that you never have to contact.

Welsper
Jan 14, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Missing Donut posted:

The best customer service is the customer service that you never have to contact.

As someone who has built the Lamy 2000 of Theseus, the best customer service is Lamy GmbH

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

As a counter to grack's experience with TWSBI, my own anecdotal experience has been relatively good. The original design 540 I got had problems three times (cracked section, cracked barrel at the piston knob end, cap that developed circular scratches because it couldn't properly fit the replacement section), but the smoke 540 and the mini that I got later on have been completely problem-free. And when I did have problems and emailed them about it (always send an email to Philip at twsbiinc@gmail.com first!), they were very quick to respond and send free replacement parts.

I suppose it's possible that their pens still regularly have problems and I got lucky, but as somebody who values good customer service, even after my experience with my first pen, I would recommend TWSBI without hesitation.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
I love my TWSBIs, there's no way you're going to get a good piston or vacumatic in the 50ish price range. The only times I've ever had cracking issues was when I kept my pens in my pocket, other than that I use a 540 and a 700 every day, and I just added a 580AL to the mix.

In other news, my wife bought me a vintage Schaeffer Touchdown Imperial in black with a 14k gold nib for Christmas. She's awesome!

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
Yeah, see, that's where we differ. TWSBI is a company that claims that it's been making pens as an OEM for 40 years, they should know how to manufacture and test the things before they head out to market. Despite this, a good chunk of their catalogue was released with serious problems - the Classic was first released in late 2013 and it had a very well-known issue with a leaking section.

For the price I'm paying ($55 may not be much in the world of fountain pens but it's hardly pocket change) and from a company with that much experience, I expect that when a product is made available for sale these types of problems are dealt with long before they ever reach the hands of a customer. TWSBI hasn't proven that they can do it thus far. They fix the problems eventually, sure, but I'm paying to use them, not test them.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

Solkanar512 posted:

I love my TWSBIs, there's no way you're going to get a good piston or vacumatic in the 50ish price range. The only times I've ever had cracking issues was when I kept my pens in my pocket, other than that I use a 540 and a 700 every day, and I just added a 580AL to the mix.

In other news, my wife bought me a vintage Schaeffer Touchdown Imperial in black with a 14k gold nib for Christmas. She's awesome!

The only time I've had a "broken" pen is when some guy pulled on my twsbi cap until it broke because he somehow didn't realize it was twist-off. He bought me twsbi mini to replace it even though I said I could get a replacement cap for free :v:

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

I hope he didn't care about that pizza.
For the price point, TWSBI really shouldn't be having the QA problems it does. However, they are willing to replace anything with no cost to the customer. Yeah, you shouldn't need to replace anything except under rare cases, but them owing up to it and replacing poo poo for free is at least something. They still have an attractive line of pens that perform well, with the misfortune of having the Metro be a statistical outlier and making any pen over $20 really have to fight for itself.

All that said, I have a Diamond 540 that's been banging around in my bag since I got it two years ago and it doesn't have a single ding or scratch on it. I feel secure with the screw cap on and the M nib has never been too dry to just use right away (thanks in no small part to the iroshizuku ink, no doubt). They are good pens but with a higher-than-normal chance of something going wrong.

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!
Bad pics of my pens.

Hero 360 thing
Kind of a ripoff of the Sailor Trident nib. This one is simpler, instead of 3 prongs, this one is actually two. Closer to a Pilot Parallel than anything else.
I bought a bunch of them with the purpose of keeping one, and giving away 9 to friends and family in christmas/birthdays. So far I've given away 3 and kept this one for myself.

The one I kept for myself seems to have been the dud of the bunch

The nib was horribly scratchy and only wrote in certain angles (the two on the sides, not covered with the black plastic), but after a bunch of grinding it down with a... Sharpening stone? Thing, it is honestly very satisfying. Writes on nearly all angles, but there are still annoying scratchy points.
I like it a lot anyways. Pretty much a drat good combination of Ballpoint and fountain, but definitely was a fixer upper (the others I've given away worked perfectly from the getgo)

I like using Waterman Harmonious Green in it.

Oliver Matrix
indian acrylic. Really pretty. The nib was scratchy but with a minor adjustment, it works wonderfully.

It used to be scratchy, but a minor adjustment fixed that up. The only issue I have with it is that it smells bad. Oh, and since the feed does not buffer all that well, it also burps when low on ink.

It used to ALL smell bad. But now it is just the section.

Gama Airborne
Ebonite. Feed, body, all but nib. It smells like a tire when you rub it. It is also an eyedropper, and it is fantastic. It doesn't burp.

The issues I have with it is that it has a VERY low ink capacity. And it takes like 4 turns to uncap.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Did everyone send out their New Years cards yet? I still have to mail out 3 to pen pals but otherwise I'm good to go. This is one of those rare moments where I can practice my declining calligraphy skill and use cheery inks.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
First World Problem: the Pilot Plumix barrel loving suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucks.

It's been inked for less than a week, but it already has some ink stuck in it which no amount of soaking in water or q-tipping will get out.

Gonna try with some pen flush, but still :argh:

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Mikl posted:

First World Problem: the Pilot Plumix barrel loving suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucks.

It's been inked for less than a week, but it already has some ink stuck in it which no amount of soaking in water or q-tipping will get out.

Gonna try with some pen flush, but still :argh:

If it's annoying you that much you can pull the nib and feed out through the front. Just grip the sides of the nib with a piece of shelf liner or paper towel.

I've been tempted by the pictures of those Oliver acrylic pens. Do they not come with Schmidt nibs?

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

grack posted:

If it's annoying you that much you can pull the nib and feed out through the front. Just grip the sides of the nib with a piece of shelf liner or paper towel.

Oh, I know, that's the problem: the ink won't come out even with the nib and feed off.

Some Goulet Pen Flush solved the problem, but I shouldn't have to use anything but water to remove week-old ink from a pen (that's been regularly used over that week) :argh:

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Uh.. maybe Pilot wants you to interact with the pen? I dunno. Never had a Plumix, personally.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I wrote with the one I got like twice and pulled the nib and tossed the body in the trash. It sucks, put your nib in a Metro.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Everything Burrito posted:

I wrote with the one I got like twice and pulled the nib and tossed the body in the trash. It sucks, put your nib in a Metro.

I put it into a Prera, that's when I noticed the ink problem.

Also the Plumix feels really awkward to grip, it forces you into a specific grip rather than letting you hold it how you want.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Mikl posted:

I put it into a Prera, that's when I noticed the ink problem.

Also the Plumix feels really awkward to grip, it forces you into a specific grip rather than letting you hold it how you want.

Prera always wrote dry for me until I switched nibs w/another one. I own a PLumix and it's slightly easier than the triangular grip of a Lamy Safari as it's more rounded. Think of it as teaching proper writing grip :unsmith:

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

It's awkward because I spent literally years teaching myself a proper grip (because my elementary school teacher apparently couldn't be bothered to correct me, thanks teach!), and the position the Plumix forces on me is ever so slightly off. Not by a lot, but juuuuust enough to be noticeable and annoying.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I feel like my grip is totally fine and in no need of adjustment, but it just bugs me to use anything that forces me to hold the pen a specific way.

Everything Burrito fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Dec 30, 2014

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

So, I wanted to write with all my pens as a health check, make sure everything was working well and so on, but wanted to do something different... so I ended up doing this:

It was fun, writing something other than pen name, ink name, and I plan to continue it. As pens run out of ink, I will flush them -- 29 pens inked is just a bit mad, I think. We'll see what I can whittle it down to. (One ran out today mid-sentence, but there's no chance I'm going to retire the Parker 51 from rotation!)

In other madness news, I pre-ordered a Pelikan M805 Stresemann while I was at the pen store a couple of days ago. I'd been considering buying a nice Pelikan sometime next year -- I guess "sometime" is "February".

Tried a Pelikan Twist, a new(ish) school pen. It has a triangular section, which usually doesn't bother me -- it's how I hold pens anyhow -- but this one sharply cut into my knuckle. Couldn't write with it for more than a few lines. Ah, well; I think the glory of the M75 Go will never be repeated.

Verdugo
Jan 5, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
The issue with the plumix is there's a small part in the section that has an area that's almost impossible to clean. And the section is clear. If they did a solid colored section it would have been better, as the area where the ink collects doesn't impact ink already flowing.

I have a twist and I hate it. It is really geared towards kids I think instead of grownup penhavers.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Both my brother's 540, and my Micarta seem to have developed blotting problems. (Also lightly tapping them results in ink falling out of them.) Should I try a fix that pushes the feed closer to the nib? I saw a boiling water one online...

I finally got a replacement cap for my Vac 700 ... wrong colour (clear vs. smoke body), but at least the pen is usable again. It's the only high-capacity working pen I have. My replacement Lamy2000 also leaks/blots. Thinking of taking it to the local dealer and offering to pay him to look at it. I bought it online (new) for less than half the local retail price.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

I'm fairly sure that TWSBI uses plastic feeds. Do not try to heat set them or you'll destroy them. Check for cracks or leaks in the body and ensure that the nib and feed are fitted securely in the nib collar.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

atholbrose posted:

So, I wanted to write with all my pens as a health check, make sure everything was working well and so on, but wanted to do something different... so I ended up doing this:

It was fun, writing something other than pen name, ink name, and I plan to continue it. As pens run out of ink, I will flush them -- 29 pens inked is just a bit mad, I think. We'll see what I can whittle it down to. (One ran out today mid-sentence, but there's no chance I'm going to retire the Parker 51 from rotation!)

In other madness news, I pre-ordered a Pelikan M805 Stresemann while I was at the pen store a couple of days ago. I'd been considering buying a nice Pelikan sometime next year -- I guess "sometime" is "February".

Tried a Pelikan Twist, a new(ish) school pen. It has a triangular section, which usually doesn't bother me -- it's how I hold pens anyhow -- but this one sharply cut into my knuckle. Couldn't write with it for more than a few lines. Ah, well; I think the glory of the M75 Go will never be repeated.

That M805 is amazing looking!

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!

grack posted:

I've been tempted by the pictures of those Oliver acrylic pens. Do they not come with Schmidt nibs?

It says that they have Schmidt nibs, yeah. http://asapens.in/eshop/fountain-pen/oliver-chennai-online/oliver-f27-acrylic-fountain-pen-schmidt-nib

But then again the Oliver I got was apparently a freebie with the ebonite pen. Speaking of, I placed an order for another ebonite thing, hopefully it arrives before February, haha.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

AFAIK Schmidt doesn't manufacture nibs anyway. I recall one of the FPN nibmeisters saying they bought from Bock and Jowo and then just assembled.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

I know, but it still means you're going to get a pretty good nib.

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
New year's a great time to get a new journal diary started with your pens. Here's a good guide to get started that got published today from the Art of Manliness!

Thelonious Monk
Apr 2, 2008

Life and music: all about style.

atholbrose posted:

Hey does the Stresemann only come in the m800 size? Am tempted to get one but my m800 is too back heavy for me.

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

Thelonious Monk posted:

Hey does the Stresemann only come in the m800 size? Am tempted to get one but my m800 is too back heavy for me.

Yes, only M800s, for now.

Right now I have an M75 and an M200, so everything I tried seemed heavy to me. The only one that seemed unusable was the M1000 -- I think that's too much pen for me.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Thelonious Monk posted:

:ssh: buy a TWSBI, and switch out the pistons.

Thelonious Monk
Apr 2, 2008

blowfish posted:

:ssh: buy a TWSBI, and switch out the pistons.

That's pretty clever!

edit: crappy phone pic inbound

Thelonious Monk fucked around with this message at 10:45 on Jan 3, 2015

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Thelonious Monk posted:

That's pretty clever!

Hmm is the Pelikan supposed to be disassembled? :derp: I never had much use for the TWSBI wrench as 99.99% of my FPs don't come apart at all.

Thelonious Monk
Apr 2, 2008

Alder posted:

Hmm is the Pelikan supposed to be disassembled? :derp: I never had much use for the TWSBI wrench as 99.99% of my FPs don't come apart at all.

"Supposed to"? Not sure what you mean by that (maybe warranty concerns?), but the pistons on the m800 and m1000 models have notches on the brass of the piston itself that fit the twsbi wrench perfectly and the entire piston unit screws out of the barrel. This combined with the screw-in nibs makes me think that it's a design choice, but I'm not sure regarding any warranty issues.

I actually use the twsbi wrench much more than the pen it came with. You can take out the pistons of the Pilot Custom 92, the plunger of the Pilot custom 823, other twsbi pens, and probably others that I don't know about.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Thelonious Monk posted:

That's pretty clever!

I even replaced the back cap with the original Pelikan one for daily use.

Alder posted:

If you break it you pay for the repair, but it's not too hard to do so you probably won't break it.
It's pretty convenient that TWSBI uses knockoff M800 guts.

Zadus Rejan
Nov 9, 2011
It's been a long time since we talked about capless pen.

Any return? I'm tempted by either the lamy or the vanishing point from pilot (not the decimo).
And about the vanishing point from pilot, is there any differences between the one sold in japan and those sold in europe or the us? Because the japanese version can be found form (some time) half the price of the european one.

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

Zadus Rejan posted:

It's been a long time since we talked about capless pen.

Any return? I'm tempted by either the lamy or the vanishing point from pilot (not the decimo).
And about the vanishing point from pilot, is there any differences between the one sold in japan and those sold in europe or the us? Because the japanese version can be found form (some time) half the price of the european one.

There is a steel-nibbled ("special alloy") version that is sold in Japan. If you see a VP for under $90, it's probably that one. That being said, there's nothing wrong with steel-nibbed one; it's just cheaper.

Here's a FPN thread with a little more information: https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/218264-pilot-vanishing-point-nib-question/

------------

Edit: Todd Nussbaum put a ton of NOS/Used pens up for sale a few days ago. They're pretty picked over already, but you still have a chance to get that blue TWSBI 540 you've always wanted. Also: Chinese pens by the fistfull.

Rudeboy Detective fucked around with this message at 12:21 on Jan 6, 2015

Welsper
Jan 14, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Zadus Rejan posted:

Nope.

I've seen the Lamy in person; mechanically it's quite interesting, but the size may get to you and the finish is more vulnerable to marks and scuffs. I also managed to crack my Vanishing Point where the clip joins the barrel, but only after ~3 years of continuous use.

You can also buy extra nib units for the Pilot for ~$60. Get a VP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

I own a Dialog 3. It's ehh at best and you should get the VP instead.