Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Poopy Palpy posted:

Did they really not bother to come up with a sci-fi name for Merlin?

It's a codename!

Also no, no they didn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobby The Rookie
Jun 2, 2005

The least Indie Boards & Cards could have done was named them 'M3rl1n.'

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
When I labeled my normal Resistance cards to give them the Avalon roles I at least went with Space Merlin

PlaneGuy
Mar 28, 2001

g e r m a n
e n g i n e e r i n g

Yam Slacker

andrew smash posted:

quoting myself but apparently you can now get the new old version of ogre (roughly the same as the 70s version, just hex chits and paper maps, none of the humongous kickstarter edition stuff) for like 2 bucks on amazon. I bought one.

Quoting Andrew quoting himself, because it's totally worth the 2.95 MSRP.

For the record this version is better since it has die-cut cardboard chits, while the 70's version is printed card you have to cut yourself.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Broken Loose posted:

Because the game is incredibly unbalanced, uncomfortably gruesome, wildly random, too long, and done way better by many games that came out before it (but the designers didn't play because they thought they knew better).

Not that I disagree (I'm lukewarm on Dead of Winter after seeing Rodney play it, though I can imagine having a laugh), but what games are you thinking of that 'did it better'?

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.

Timett posted:

When I labeled my normal Resistance cards to give them the Avalon roles I at least went with Space Merlin

I went with a Matrix theme and made Morpheus Merlin arbitrarily. Goatee dude was the assassin.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Broken Loose posted:

Nah, man.

Every time you move you roll a die that has a 1/8 chance of immediately killing you and starting a chain reaction of die rolls for everybody in the location you intended to end up at (which can be stopped by automatically killing somebody instead of taking a roll). This is independent of the other sides of the die, half of which have "nothing happens" results.
I'm not gonna defend the game, but I will make a couple corrections. It's 1/12 for the first roll, the chain reaction is completely by choice, and then has a 50/50 chance of either negating the previous roll (no one dies) or making it worse as you described. If there are no other people at the location being moved to, you can safely push your luck every time. There are also some characters and a whole class of common items that allow you to avoid that die roll to begin with.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Poopy Palpy posted:

Did they really not bother to come up with a sci-fi name for Merlin?

Not in the early promos, but in HI+HA, they did.

Overview:
Merlin = Commander
Assassin = Assassin
Percival = Bodyguard
Morgana = False Commander
Mordred = Deep Cover
Oberon = Blind Spy
Lancelot = Defector
Lady of the Lake = Inquisitor
Excalibur = Sergeant

New stuff:
Hunter = Used in Hunter Module. Must accurately identify an enemy Chief for their team to win.
Chief = Used in Hunter Module.
Coordinator = Used in Hunter Module. Not a chief but still a valid Red Hunter target.
Dummy Agent = Used in Hunter Module. Not a chief but can lie about being one.
Deep Agent = Used in Hunter Module. Red (Spy) who does not know teammates, but can attempt to ID Pretender and swap teams as a result.
Pretender = Used in Hunter Module. Blue (Resistance); if IDed by Deep Agent switches teams with them publicly.
Reverser = May play Reverse card when on missions that reverse the results. Red Reverser optionally may function like Blind Spy.
Rogue = Lone player who has separate victory conditions from the rest of the game. Blue Rogue comes with unique mission cards and a new component. Red Rogue functions like Blind Spy but even the Commander does not see them.

And then there are some other variant rules.

I've gotten in a few games so far and it's pretty good all around. Gonna have to work the new stuff in slowly over many games a tiny bit at a time (only 1 Rogue and no other characters, only Hunter Module and no other stuff, etc) but there's a great deal of potential and everything seems really good.

Trynant
Oct 7, 2010

The final spice...your tears <3
The Ultra Euro, Roads & Boats and its &cetera expansion, are on sale at CSI. These are expensive games, so seeing them $50 off and $22 off respectively is a pretty impressive sale; especially since they're definitely "grail status" games.

Make no mistake, you're getting a lot of pieces with this game. The designers, Splotter (a couple of guys who make their own games as a hobby, thus their absurd limited-print-run prices), demo'ed this game at Essen for fun when they were just a handful of people. People asked when they'd release it, and Splotter went "this game would be unpublishable." It's rather surprising that it exists, actually considering:

quote:

The basic game contains a rule and scenario book in English and German, a pile of hexagonal terrain tiles, 120 means of transportation from donkeys to steamers (wooden pieces), 75 walls (little wooden rods), 4 research boards, 28 discovery stones (glass), a wonder of the world with 193 wonder stones (cardboard), 18 mines + bags, 115 factories (cardboard), 600 goods (cardboard) and several other parts.

The several other parts include a loving clear plastic overlay and wet-erase marker to draw your roads..

Gameplay wise, if you want a really, really hefty wooden-pieces euro about transport and dicking over your friends worse than Caylus economy; this is one to get.

ThisIsNoZaku
Apr 22, 2013

Pew Pew Pew!

goodness posted:

My only experience with TI was playing with the economic race and hoarding all the gold after realizing there was a limited amount.

That's cool. A more interesting result than just "gets more [Generic Currency Units]".

Are there any competitive zombie games? I'm imagining a strategy game where each player controls a gang of survivors fighting over resources in an area. I can't think of anything it might borrow from off the top of my head for some reason.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

I just got Boss Monster as a delayed present, but I seem to remember some hate for it. What's the word on it from you guys?

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

BonHair posted:

I just got Boss Monster as a delayed present, but I seem to remember some hate for it. What's the word on it from you guys?

It's shallow and random, as well as extremely unbalanced. Some cards are way better than others and everyone is drawing randomly from the same decks with no way to mitigate draws (aside from simply drawing more cards which is what the broken rooms do). The game is decided via Munchkin "gently caress the leader" style of play where players use spell cards to spam negative effects on whoever is in the lead until they can't anymore. In fact it's basically Munchkin, except it rides on 8-bit nostalgia instead of D&D nostalgia.

That said, unlike Munchkin, Boss Monster will end in 20 minutes or so, which makes it infinitely more tolerable. I still wouldn't recommend the game to anyone.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Hauki posted:

I'm not gonna defend the game, but I will make a couple corrections. It's 1/12 for the first roll, the chain reaction is completely by choice, and then has a 50/50 chance of either negating the previous roll (no one dies) or making it worse as you described. If there are no other people at the location being moved to, you can safely push your luck every time. There are also some characters and a whole class of common items that allow you to avoid that die roll to begin with.
Just a correction, you can never negate the first bite. Not sure if you intended to make it sound like you can or not.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Trynant posted:

The Ultra Euro, Roads & Boats and its &cetera expansion, are on sale at CSI. These are expensive games, so seeing them $50 off and $22 off respectively is a pretty impressive sale; especially since they're definitely "grail status" games.

Make no mistake, you're getting a lot of pieces with this game. The designers, Splotter (a couple of guys who make their own games as a hobby, thus their absurd limited-print-run prices), demo'ed this game at Essen for fun when they were just a handful of people. People asked when they'd release it, and Splotter went "this game would be unpublishable." It's rather surprising that it exists, actually considering:

The several other parts include a loving clear plastic overlay and wet-erase marker to draw your roads..

Gameplay wise, if you want a really, really hefty wooden-pieces euro about transport and dicking over your friends worse than Caylus economy; this is one to get.

Anyone else have a chance to try this? I'm now tempted as hell to grab it despite knowing I'll only get to play it like once every six months or so at best.

e: gently caress it, bought the last one (and &cetera and Temporum).

Mega64 fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Dec 27, 2014

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
IB&C has done the unthinkable and posted the rules for the Hidden Agenda Assassin module roles online because they failed to include them in the actual loving rulebook. Now people are gonna start pirating the game!

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

ThisIsNoZaku posted:

That's cool. A more interesting result than just "gets more [Generic Currency Units]".

Are there any competitive zombie games? I'm imagining a strategy game where each player controls a gang of survivors fighting over resources in an area. I can't think of anything it might borrow from off the top of my head for some reason.

I've always wanted a zombie 4X, where ideologically opposed groups of survivors fight for control of a city and also there are zombies.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

ThisIsNoZaku posted:

Yes, you are describing Mall of Horror, the only zombie themed game I consider playable. Almost exactly describing, in fact!

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Mega64 posted:

Anyone else have a chance to try this? I'm now tempted as hell to grab it despite knowing I'll only get to play it like once every six months or so at best.

e: gently caress it, bought the last one (and &cetera and Temporum).

Roads and Boats is a legendary Good Game. You will enjoy your purchase, or else.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

silvergoose posted:

Yes, you are describing Mall of Horror, the only zombie themed game I consider playable. Almost exactly describing, in fact!

Mall of Horror is playable, but I loving hate it and have never had fun with it.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

sector_corrector posted:

Mall of Horror is playable, but I loving hate it and have never had fun with it.

I sure didn't say it was fun! Fun is a useless term anyway. I said it was playable, and it really is; there's an actual game there, and it's not just "roll dice to kill zombies".

I only really want to play it once a year or so, very rarely clamor for it.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Broken Loose posted:

IB&C has done the unthinkable and posted the rules for the Hidden Agenda Assassin module roles online because they failed to include them in the actual loving rulebook. Now people are gonna start pirating the game!

“Body Guard, open your eyes so you know the Commander & False Commander”

Is it just me, or do these names sound way stupider than the Arthurian ones?

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

silvergoose posted:

I sure didn't say it was fun! Fun is a useless term anyway. I said it was playable, and it really is; there's an actual game there, and it's not just "roll dice to kill zombies".

I only really want to play it once a year or so, very rarely clamor for it.

You'll notice that the statement was "I have never had fun with it," which relates to my personal experiences, and indeed does have meaning.

The only entertaining aspect I've ever found in the game was when I lost and got to gently caress people over with zombie placement.

BeefyTaco
Nov 29, 2007

Squirtle, you cannot use fire. You are a water pokemon.
My brother got me Lords of Waterdeep for Christmas! Haven't had a chance to try it yet, but apparently it works well as an intro worker placement game? So hopefully people will enjoy it. I do, however, want to praise the game for having, silly as it may sound, the nicest box insert I've ever seen! Special little holes that perfectly fit every game piece, and they're even sorted by separate card decks and player colors. And on top of that, the instruction manual has a helpful diagram that show how everything is meant to fit in there. So congrats on the super classy box, box designer.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

PerniciousKnid posted:

“Body Guard, open your eyes so you know the Commander & False Commander”

Is it just me, or do these names sound way stupider than the Arthurian ones?

Yeah even though I didn't have Avalon I am familiar with the names and can't help but use them instead of the new, extremely generic ones. Anyway though may I have some recommendations for what Avalon roles are cool at what player counts?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

BeefyTaco posted:

My brother got me Lords of Waterdeep for Christmas! Haven't had a chance to try it yet, but apparently it works well as an intro worker placement game? So hopefully people will enjoy it. I do, however, want to praise the game for having, silly as it may sound, the nicest box insert I've ever seen! Special little holes that perfectly fit every game piece, and they're even sorted by separate card decks and player colors. And on top of that, the instruction manual has a helpful diagram that show how everything is meant to fit in there. So congrats on the super classy box, box designer.

I know, right? Lords of Waterdeep was the first "designer" game I ever got and was so dissapointed when I found out that its insert was not the standard for quality. Most inserts I throw out, but lords of waterdeep is so well designed I can't bring myself to.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Yeah, LoW is really well-made, and a decent intro to worker placement. It's pretty simple, fairly random, and for a worker placement game, relatively high in theme if you remember what all your coloured cubes actually ARE.

It's not amazing, but it's reasonably well-balanced and well-designed, certainly well-made, and a reasonable intro to the genre particularly for die-hard D&D players.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
Played Eldritch Horror for the first time and have some miscellaneous questions and thoughts.

First I'm surprised it's talked about as much here because there is so much random dice rolling. There were a lot of items that some of us bought that gave rerolls, but still.

We were playing with 5 and using the starter ancient one Azathoth and it was so brutal. We didn't even finish the first mystery until we were down to 5 Doom. We didn't feel like we were doing anything wrong, but I wouldn't even say we were keeping our heads above water with how bad our progress was. The first mystery we got was the one that spawned 3 eldritch tokens in one spot on the board and we had to use two clues, move to the tokens, and "encounter" them to get them put on the mystery card. It seemed a lot harder than what mystery two was, but it was late and we didn't have the willpower to get reamed anymore knowing we would lose.

I picked the Astronomer and he seemed very worthless. My action was to use two clues to kill a monster and my passive was to use a clue instead of losing a sanity. This makes it sound like clues are in great abundance, but they definitely weren't especially when they're needed for the mystery. My starting possession was a spell that I tried to use early on not knowing what it did so it backfired and I would have lost it, but we decided to give me a mulligan but then I lost it on the first mythos. Other people's items were permanent and only had good stuff.

Are you allowed to look at the monster's stats freely? It seems necessary so you know to send a high strength or high willpower guy to fight them. We also felt like there was no incentive to fight the monsters. It was so anti-climatic when we killed one especially the epic monsters. Rarely did we get anything from them. Some people were also stuck trying to close the gate after the monster and it took 3 more tries to do it so they weren't really enjoying it.

Do you collect the possessions off a defeated investigator when you pass their encounter? It says to put their stuff with them, but it doesn't say anything about collecting the stuff after, so I don't know why it says to keep the stuff around.

What do the Eldritch Tokens do that you add to the Omen Track? We had one added to it, but nothing happened after that.

Overall it just seemed to drag on so we weren't even getting the theme since we would just say blah blah blah Willpower check when reading the cards. One friend said "I can't tell if I'm having fun or not" which is never good.

KingKapalone fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Dec 27, 2014

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

KingKapalone posted:

Played Eldritch Horror for the first time and have some miscellaneous questions and thoughts.

First I'm surprised it's talked about as much here because there is so much random dice rolling. There were a lot of items that some of us bought that gave rerolls, but still.

It's only talked about because it's the best nerdbait Cthulhu board game. This does not make it a good game, but compared to other Cthulhu games it's a work of art.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
The only reason Eldritch even gets so much as the time of day is because Arkham is that much worse.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

KingKapalone posted:

Are you allowed to look at the monster's stats freely? It seems necessary so you know to send a high strength or high willpower guy to fight them. We also felt like there was no incentive to fight the monsters. It was so anti-climatic when we killed one especially the epic monsters. Rarely did we get anything from them. Some people were also stuck trying to close the gate after the monster and it took 3 more tries to do it so they weren't really enjoying it.

Do you collect the possessions off a defeated investigator when you pass their encounter? It says to put their stuff with them, but it doesn't say anything about collecting the stuff after, so I don't know why it says to keep the stuff around.

What do the Eldritch Tokens do that you add to the Omen Track? We had one added to it, but nothing happened after that.

Overall it just seemed to drag on so we weren't even getting the theme since we would just say blah blah blah Willpower check when reading the cards. One friend said "I can't tell if I'm having fun or not" which is never good.

Yes, the monster tokens on the board are open knowledge, you can look at their stats freely.

Collecting possessions off a dead investigator depends on the encounter text on the back of the investigator card. Some of them you can get their stuff, others you get certain things from them, others have you discard everything.

Anything that has you place a token somewhere on the board should also explain what the significance of the token is; I don't recall off the top of my head what card has you put tokens on the Omen tracker, but it should tell you what it means.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

For Azatoth the token on the green omen, at least if IIRC, is that when the green omen rolls around you move the doom track down 1 for every green portal that is open? It's been a while since I've played it

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Can I include both dog and Friday in crusoe in a two player game, or just Friday? I want to play simulated 2p before I inflict on my wife if possible.

Umbilical Lotus
Nov 13, 2005

OH NO!!!! AXE CUT YOU!!!!

Broken Loose posted:

The only reason Eldritch even gets so much as the time of day is because Arkham is that much worse.

I actually prefer Elder Sign, because if you're going to be random at least admit it by having tons of dice everywhere.

I've also admitted to myself that I'm never going to be a super-serious boardgamer because I *like* huge amounts of dice, random-rear end piles of cards and other skill-mitigation systems, if only because I tend to pull these things out with newbie gamers and I want them to have fun, too. I mean, yeah, I have my Dominion tower on a shelf looming over me as I sleep, but I'm still gonna get Quarriors one day. And I'm going to roll the box. And love it.

ellbent
May 2, 2007

I NEVER HAD SOUL

Broken Loose posted:

Nah, man.

Every time you move you roll a die that has a 1/8 chance of immediately killing you and starting a chain reaction of die rolls for everybody in the location you intended to end up at (which can be stopped by automatically killing somebody instead of taking a roll). This is independent of the other sides of the die, half of which have "nothing happens" results.

It would be really cool for people in this thread declaring a game as garbage to have actually paid attention when they played it, 'cause the exposure die is a big honking twelve-sided die and I don't see how people with so many complaints could confuse a caltrop with a baseball. Also, there's these handy cards all over the place that eliminate the risk entirely, because -- fancy that -- one of the core mechanics of the game is risk management. That's why cards like medicine and fuel are there; to force you to choose between protecting your characters and protecting your assets rather than hoarding them the whole game and being mad when a die you roll comes up bust when you have a fist full of "don't roll the die."

All five of my games didn't last much longer than forty-five minutes or an hour, and for the record I pretty much hate zombie games and zombie poo poo as a whole. YMMV.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

For Azatoth the token on the green omen, at least if IIRC, is that when the green omen rolls around you move the doom track down 1 for every green portal that is open? It's been a while since I've played it

That's what happens by default for every omen. When the track hits the omen, all the gates that are of that omen cause doom to go down by one. The eldritch token was placed on the green omen from a research card I think, but it didn't say what it does. Earlier I solved a clue I think that told me to remove an eldritch token from the omen board, but there weren't any. The eldritch tokens were also being used as counters on certain mythos cards and if they hit 0 after some reckonings, we would lose.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012

KingKapalone posted:

That's what happens by default for every omen. When the track hits the omen, all the gates that are of that omen cause doom to go down by one. The eldritch token was placed on the green omen from a research card I think, but it didn't say what it does. Earlier I solved a clue I think that told me to remove an eldritch token from the omen board, but there weren't any. The eldritch tokens were also being used as counters on certain mythos cards and if they hit 0 after some reckonings, we would lose.

Look at Azathoth's card. It's the very first of Azathoth's special rules.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

ellbent posted:

It would be really cool for people in this thread declaring a game as garbage to have actually paid attention when they played it, 'cause the exposure die is a big honking twelve-sided die and I don't see how people with so many complaints could confuse a caltrop with a baseball. Also, there's these handy cards all over the place that eliminate the risk entirely, because -- fancy that -- one of the core mechanics of the game is risk management. That's why cards like medicine and fuel are there; to force you to choose between protecting your characters and protecting your assets rather than hoarding them the whole game and being mad when a die you roll comes up bust when you have a fist full of "don't roll the die."

All five of my games didn't last much longer than forty-five minutes or an hour, and for the record I pretty much hate zombie games and zombie poo poo as a whole. YMMV.
Except you get poo poo like 'keep certain numbers of cards' and then what do you do, waste actions to replace stuff that you need to win anyway or not use them and risk dying on a 1 in 12 chance? It isn't a choice if the stuff that you need to win the game is the same stuff that you need to survive, then it doesn't become risk management because you are forced to take the risk in order to have a chance of winning, and if you get unlucky, welp, too bad.

Also the main issues with the game is how the traitor/personal game elements affect the game. The traitor can just play along (and it is actually advisable to do this) until he tanks the checks right at the very end, and it's impossible to work out if someone is a traitor because the only thing you can ask is 'well why are you hoarding cards?' and that doesn't help because almost everyone has to hoard cards. There's no reason for the traitor to sabotage before his reveal, since it is extremely easy to track down cards and trying to cover the fact that you are sabotaging (by following people around) is in itself suspicious.

There's also the fact that some actions by human players are indistinguishable from actions by traitors. Take, for example, the ability of the Pirate guy. Taking cards from other players might piss them off, but it is actually a pro-strat for both townies and traitors. First of all, it might get you what you need to win: second, if the other player is hoarding for his own victory condition and not playing cards into checks because of it, well, then you can play the card for him! So as a townie, you might either improve the chances of your own victory, or improve the chances that the group survives. Sure, it will piss off the other player but what do you care about his own personal winning conditions?

Also the action dice mechanism is crap. It just puts out barriers to actions that you can take for no real discernible reasons apart from the designers wanting some way to differentiate the characters. A system in which high dice are universally better than poor dice is a bad system (see Bora Bora for example: it has an interesting dice system in which high rolls give you more stuff but low rolls allow you to lock out the action: the point is that both high and low rolls are equally useful). Sure, there are cards that allow you to re-roll dice, but it is still basically wasting a card (iirc there is one card that allows you to re-roll dice) or waste valuable resources by using food (oh wait, another thing that can be easily screwed by the traitor with no way to stop it).

All in all, Dead of Winter has a lot of badly designed mechanisms that are papered over with claims that the game is trying to be 'cinematic' or 'thematic' and that the issues aren't issues at all because you are meant to 'immerse yourself in the experience, man'. This is coming from someone that was legitimately excited about the game until I actually saw a few PbPs and run-throughs and took part in a PbP game myself. There's just so many things that I feel are wrong with the game and that are inexcusable in terms of how far we have gotten in terms of cohesive rules within this hobby.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Got the Mountains of Madness expansion for Eldritch to the table for the first time yesterday, and I really really like it. For those worried about too much clutter, the Antarctica sideboard only gets used in two circumstances: if you're up against the Rise of the Elder Things AO, or you draw one specific prelude card. All the other non-antarctic specific stuff shuffles into existing decks, increasing encounter card pools and adding new assets and the like. It also adds a couple new Gate locations (both ones in Antarctica and some additional ones on the main board like the Pyramids) and Expedition locations. All in all a SUPER solid product and well worth it if you like Eldritch Horror.

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.

jivjov posted:

Got the Mountains of Madness expansion for Eldritch to the table for the first time yesterday, and I really really like it. For those worried about too much clutter, the Antarctica sideboard only gets used in two circumstances: if you're up against the Rise of the Elder Things AO, or you draw one specific prelude card. All the other non-antarctic specific stuff shuffles into existing decks, increasing encounter card pools and adding new assets and the like. It also adds a couple new Gate locations (both ones in Antarctica and some additional ones on the main board like the Pyramids) and Expedition locations. All in all a SUPER solid product and well worth it if you like Eldritch Horror.

It's a surprising design choice that Antarctica only get used under specific circumstances. I understand that they want a certain modularity to it, but there should be a few more ways to get it into the game.

On the same topic - if you're trying to fit everything in the base box, but want to use a plano for all the bits and pieces, a 3600 fits beautifully (and you can put the small cards inside it as well. Gonna be hosed when the next expansion comes though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UrbanLabyrinth
Jan 28, 2009

When my eyes were stabbed by the flash of a neon light
That split the night
And touched the sound of silence

College Slice

KingKapalone posted:

I picked the Astronomer and he seemed very worthless. My action was to use two clues to kill a monster and my passive was to use a clue instead of losing a sanity.

I believe you read or described this wrong: from memory, you can spend 1 sanity instead of spending a clue. So you only need 1 clue before visiting the mystery location you talked about (where you spend 2 clues after succeeding the check to progress the mystery), as long as you're willing to spend a sanity instead.

Also, if your group was having trouble killing monsters, encounters at the Tokyo location can help with that.