Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

These are from Usagi Yojimbo: Senso #5

A bit of context.
The world of Usagi Yojimbo, in case you don't know, is set in feudal Japan (not sure what era exactly, but before Meiji I think) and it follows the adventures of the eponymous ronin, Usagi, who defends the weak from evil warlords, bandits, etc. Along the way he meets a big cast of characters, some who make recurring appearances and some who are just in 1 or a few stories. A lot of 'em are based on popular figures of samurai media, like Lone Wolf & Cub, Zatoichi, Toshiro Mifune, etc. Oh, and all the characters are anthropomorphic animals (the good kinds, not furry bait). This is a very, very, condensed view of the series and I think most of the people here on BSS are familiar with it, but just in case.

Senso is a bit of a time-skip, I don't remember exactly how much, but I'd say between 5 or so years. It's centered around the supposedly final battle between two warlords (both important characters in the UY world and both character who have appeared/influenced various arcs in the comic) when suddenly a spaceship crashed in the middle of the battle and tripods (directly out of The War of the Worlds) come out and wreck poo poo.

Still with me? Good, onto the panels.

A group of disenfranchised ninja faces one of these tripods and basically get obliterated. There is no way they could beat it, so what do they do?

In the last page of the issue, which so far has been rather serious, we see the weapon a scientist has prepared to face the invaders:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Vincent posted:

In the last page of the issue, which so far has been rather serious, we see the weapon a scientist has prepared to face the invaders:

This is amazing.

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009
Ho

Lee

poo poo

:aaaaa:

I've been skipping Senso until I got caught up with a few shitload of other books.

That changes tonight. :black101:

Semi-related: it's always time for Martian invasions.

(Avengers #4 from 2010)

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Here's some Santa. I can't remember if I posted this before.

http://tytempletonart.wordpress.com/2009/12/22/a-little-pre-christmas-gift-from-ty/

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

I love what one goon once posted about that, paraphrased: "Darkseid went through all three of his poses on one page, I believe that counts as fidgeting."

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Ummmmm he's not sitting on a couch in any panel though.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Uthor posted:

Here's some Santa. I can't remember if I posted this before.

http://tytempletonart.wordpress.com/2009/12/22/a-little-pre-christmas-gift-from-ty/

Little New God. Can you outrace the Naughty List? The death that is coal lumps!

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

TwoPair posted:

Little New God. Can you outrace the Naughty List? The death that is coal lumps!

I. AM. THE. NEW. CLAUS.

All is one in Santa. This jolly body is my church.

When I HO HO HO, I speak with three billion voices.

When I make a list of all the little boys and girls.

IT IS WITH THREE BILLION HANDS!

When I check the list once, then check it twice. To see who's been naughty or nice.

IT IS WITH SIX BILLION EYES!

NOTHING LIKE SANTA HAS EVER COME AMONG YOU: NOTHING WILL AGAIN.
I WILL GIVE YOU VISIONS OF SUGAR PLUMS WITHOUT EXIT OR END.
AND THERE I WILL GIVE YOU YOUR PRESENTS!

AND MAKE YOU SMILE AND SING!
AND JINGLE!
JINGLE! JINGLE! FOR KRINGLE!

Vincent fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Dec 25, 2014

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Holy poo poo :master:

PurpleJesus
Feb 27, 2008

We all change. When you think about it, we're all different people all through our lives, and that's okay, that's good, you gotta keep moving.

Vincent posted:

I. AM. THE. NEW. CLAUS.

You are my new favorite person.

Dog_Meat
May 19, 2013

Yeah, I'm done. Nothing gonna top this.

Goodnight.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Vincent posted:

I. AM. THE. NEW. CLAUS.

When I make a list of all the little boys and girls.

IT IS WITH THREE BILLION HANDS!

When I check the list once, then check it twice. To see who's been naughty or nice.

IT IS WITH SIX BILLION EYES!

NOTHING LIKE SANTA HAS EVER COME AMONG YOU: NOTHING WILL AGAIN.
I WILL GIVE YOU VISIONS OF SUGAR PLUMS WITHOUT EXIT OR END.
AND THERE I WILL GIVE YOU YOUR PRESENTS!

AND MAKE YOU SMILE AND SING!
AND JINGLE!
JINGLE! JINGLE! FOR KRINGLE!

There was a war for Christmas, Mr. Turpin. And I won. Your holiday belongs to Santa now.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Evil Mastermind posted:

There was a war for Christmas, Mr. Turpin. And I won. Your holiday belongs to Santa now.
Ok bastards. It's time for a JudoHobo/PizzaMatrix styled photoshop masterthread:

BSS Presents
FINAL CHRISTMAS

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Dec 27, 2014

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

FilthyImp posted:

Ok bastards. It's time for a JudoHobo/PizzaMatrix styled photoshop masterthread:

BSS Presents
FINAL CHRISTMAS

Check the Chat Thread, I left you all a present :wink:

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I was just catching up on She-Hulk.

This is from the end of an arc from #8-10 where old Cap was on trial accused of causing a death when he was a young man, pre-war.
He'd hired She-Hulk to defend him and convinced Daredevil to argue for the plaintiff.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Teenage Fansub posted:

I was just catching up on She-Hulk.

This is from the end of an arc from #8-10 where old Cap was on trial accused of causing a death when he was a young man, pre-war.
He'd hired She-Hulk to defend him and convinced Daredevil to argue for the plaintiff.

Matt: Cap, I'm glad that we've cleared your name and all, but you do realize that you willingly let false evidence go before a court of law?

Steve: Yup, it was the only way that I could draw Faustus out.

Jennifer No Steve you don't get it. This is a pretty big deal, lawyers aren't supposed to do this sort of stuff. There will have to be an investigation. You, Matt and I could both be done for Perjury or Contempt of court.

Steve: Umm, wait look over there! All of Reality is Collapsing. I had best go deal with that!

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

I haven't kept up with today's comics all that well but they need to keep old Cap forever.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

The Question IRL posted:

Matt: Cap, I'm glad that we've cleared your name and all, but you do realize that you willingly let false evidence go before a court of law?

Steve: Yup, it was the only way that I could draw Faustus out.

Jennifer No Steve you don't get it. This is a pretty big deal, lawyers aren't supposed to do this sort of stuff. There will have to be an investigation. You, Matt and I could both be done for Perjury or Contempt of court.

Steve: Umm, wait look over there! All of Reality is Collapsing. I had best go deal with that!

Steve isnt a lawyer, and he didnt tell Matt it was false evidence until after the case was over, so I dont think that applies (as he didnt know it was false when he presented it). Plus even if it was still applicable its not even in the top 50 shady things matt has done as a lawyer.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Comic book writers don't understand the first thing about lawyers and generally write them as the courtroom version of 80s movie cops. They broke all the rules, but they got the bad guy and saved the good guy! That makes it ok!

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Lurdiak posted:

Comic book writers don't understand the first thing about lawyers

Charles Soule is a lawyer!

His She-Hulk is all about stuff like seeking asylum for Doom's son. It's amazing. and cancelled :(

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Dec 27, 2014

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
It's a trial involving Captain America, in a universe where psychics exist, time-traveling nazis have been a regular feature, alien doppelgängers invaded in recent memory, and Reed Richards and his family are largely allowed to do as they please.

Trying to determine any facts in the life of a prominent superhero is going to be an impossible task.

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, that's a tricky situation. It's not perjury if you think you're actually telling the truth, so if Cap never said anything either in court or to them about the evidence before the trial was over and if Jenn/Matt both had no reason to suspect the evidence was falsified, I don't think that any actual crime was commited. Though they should be a lot more ticked with him over even walking that line.

But yeah, Soule is an actual lawyer and has called back to a number of detailed and subtle aspects of the legal process in his She-Hulk run; Law and the Multiverse has had a ton of articles on his issues almost universally lauding the legal accuracy but for a few minor errors. So I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt that legally this situation would pass muster.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

goatface posted:

Reed Richards and his family are largely allowed to do as they please.

In the current F4,rhe Richards have been kicking out of New York and their children taken away because of, oh, dangerous physics experiments like portals to the Negative Zone.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

Uthor posted:

In the current F4,rhe Richards have been kicking out of New York and their children taken away because of, oh, dangerous physics experiments like portals to the Negative Zone.

A series of events so common and derivative for the FF it produced a collective sigh and sales to drop low enough that Marvel can justify canceling the book.

Reed Richards does little more then get punished by the government/sued by people when Hickman isn't writing the FF.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Well, I didn't say I was enjoying reading it! And I don't know much of the F4 outside of Millar, Hickman, and Fraction's runs.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Dude should just embrace his inner super villain and build a big orbiting-base. He could even invite colonists, and then him and Doom can have "how to lead a country" coffee mornings.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Uthor posted:

Well, I didn't say I was enjoying reading it! And I don't know much of the F4 outside of Millar, Hickman, and Fraction's runs.

You should read Mark Waid's F4.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Uthor posted:

I didn't either but Hickman's run got me to try and catch up and the modern FF are stuck in a Hank Pymian hell of being "fixed" by almost every writer. The family is fractured and Reed is finally being punished for his hubris! Again.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

goatface posted:

Dude should just embrace his inner super villain and build a big orbiting-base. He could even invite colonists, and then him and Doom can have "how to lead a country" coffee mornings.

They could invite Magneto and his Asteroid M.

What ever happened to the orbiting base he built in Hickman's run? It was parked next to the space ship Johnny stole from Annihilus.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Uthor posted:

They could invite Magneto and his Asteroid M.

What ever happened to the orbiting base he built in Hickman's run? It was parked next to the space ship Johnny stole from Annihilus.

It's been awhile since I read it, but I thought everything they had in space got blowed up real good when they were trying to stop the celestials from destroying earth.

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,
And rise the M.C. Etrigan!

Idran posted:

Yeah, that's a tricky situation. It's not perjury if you think you're actually telling the truth, so if Cap never said anything either in court or to them about the evidence before the trial was over and if Jenn/Matt both had no reason to suspect the evidence was falsified, I don't think that any actual crime was commited. Though they should be a lot more ticked with him over even walking that line.

But yeah, Soule is an actual lawyer and has called back to a number of detailed and subtle aspects of the legal process in his She-Hulk run; Law and the Multiverse has had a ton of articles on his issues almost universally lauding the legal accuracy but for a few minor errors. So I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt that legally this situation would pass muster.

I don't know New York law, but under model ethics guidelines if as far as a lawyer knows the evidence he's presenting is true and correct, he can't be blamed if he later finds out he's been had. Had he known, then he'd have committed a fraud upon the court and as an officer of the court he'd definitely be called on the carpet for that. In a situation, though, where Matt had been misled, he'd be fine when it comes to any ethics inquiries. So would Jen, assuming she likewise had been duped.

Edit: This of course assumes he didn't have some reason to suspect that the evidence might be false. If he did, then he'd have a duty to investigate it to make sure he's not participating in a fraud before the court.

ManiacClown fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Dec 28, 2014

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
This is an awful lot of legal analysis for a story where a criminal defense attorney argues a civil case.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

This is an awful lot of legal analysis for a story where a criminal defense attorney argues a civil case.

Matt's participated in many civil cases too. He was the FF's lawyer in the early years every time their landlord tried to kick them out of the building.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Hey, the Marvel Universe has 2 superhero lawyers and by god they will be used in whatever case they need to be used in, sense be damned.

Also Daredevil and She-Hulk both have the same problem regarding writing that super-scientists do, which is that fields of study simply don't matter (see geneticist Hank McCoy's jet that he built for the X-Men or Ultron, created by biophysicist Hank Pym). Scientists just do science and in the case of She-Hulk, she just does lawyering, who cares about what area of the law she's supposed to practice in.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
Same with their inability of to distinguish between engineers and scientists.

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

TwoPair posted:

Hey, the Marvel Universe has 2 superhero lawyers and by god they will be used in whatever case they need to be used in, sense be damned.

Also Daredevil and She-Hulk both have the same problem regarding writing that super-scientists do, which is that fields of study simply don't matter (see geneticist Hank McCoy's jet that he built for the X-Men or Ultron, created by biophysicist Hank Pym). Scientists just do science and in the case of She-Hulk, she just does lawyering, who cares about what area of the law she's supposed to practice in.

Since, like was said, the writer of this particular comic is also a practicing lawyer and still didn't seem to think that mattered enough to get in the way of the story, I don't see much reason why we should. :v:

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

As a result of Secret Wars II all science, medicine and law disciplines were consolidated by The Beyonder as he was confused by their separation. This act echoed backwards through time changing the very fabric of jobs your mom wants you to have.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

TwoPair posted:

Not as egregious as the examples you posted, but every X-Man can become a teacher by having lived in a school for a bit.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Grendels Dad posted:

Not as egregious as the examples you posted, but every X-Man can become a teacher by having lived in a school for a bit.

I dont know about the US, but in the UK private (paid for) school teachers dont actually need a teaching qualification. If you want to work in a public school you need a qualification, but private schools can hire anyone they like as long as they can pass a criminal record check.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Grendels Dad posted:

At least in that case you can assume they're being accredited offscreen and we aren't seeing it because it's boring minutiae compared to their adventures, it's not like you need multiple PhDs to teach kids. And do private schools even need formal qualification for their instructors?