Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

pentyne posted:

No he's right, Japanese kissing is almost universally disgusting. And, in many animes it is portrayed as borderline sexual assault even on willing subjects.

I remember some weird mecha anime/future school hijinks a while back a pilot went berserk from his machine connection and raped a girl,but she tried to act like it wasn't a big deal, whereas when someone is trick-kissed in anime its "I'm soiled forever just let me die".

I really wish the rules allowed me to vote for Valvrave. It really deserves the title.

Alas our anime forum posting techniques simply weren't advanced enough in 2013. Kids these days don't know how good they have it! :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

WickedHate posted:

I can believe Yoko is a genuine example of fanservice, but her and her clothing is played up much more salaciously without any irony.

Dude, stop trying to justify it to yourself. It's okay to like a show that has fanservice in it.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

WickedHate posted:

I can believe Yoko is a genuine example of fanservice, but her and her clothing is played up much more salaciously without any irony.

There was no irony in the KLK that I watched, which was the first five episodes. I don't know why people get caught up on the fanservicey outfits though. Not when all the jokes I saw came in 2 flavors; Mako does something funny and let's sexually assault/harass Ryuko. Literal would get fired/jail time for doing some of the poo poo characters pull. To say nothing of all the questions being raised knowing Ryuko's dad made her that stripper outfit. Finding out about the bad touch from this thread just further cemented how glad I am I quit at 5.

Kill La Kill is the only anime I watched this year that was straight up bad. Even if I set aside the poo poo I find problematic and take it at face value, it still just wasn't good.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
All in all, Kill La Kill was good as a spectacle. As a quality product though, you're never going to get everyone to agree whether it was king corn on poo poo mountain or the anime savior.

Big Anime Fan Here
Sep 8, 2010

by XyloJW
Why are people trying to say Kill la Kill wasn't a horny time? Why does this forum always try to pretend everything isn't horny?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Big Anime Fan Here posted:

Why are people trying to say Kill la Kill wasn't a horny time? Why does this forum always try to pretend everything isn't horny?
because if they like it clearly its actually deep and smart and cant actually be weird or creepy in any way whatsoever

because they like it, you see. and theyre a Good Anime Fan, not one of those creepy weirdos, so if they like something, it must be subversive deep on a level beyond what the average person sees, and not just What It Is

laplace
Oct 9, 2012

kcab dneb smra ym semitemos tub ,reh wonk I ekil leef I
Madoka Magica is the best anime ever made and urobutcher made me cry a million tears because of how deep and well written it was. a million times better than Evangelion and the other pleb poo poo people watch. KlK is just for Gainax nerds who can't accept that SHAFT is the true master studio.

Anime is art. :japan:

Big Anime Fan Here
Sep 8, 2010

by XyloJW
I don't really understand the perspective where it's bad to enjoy things in a sexual way. It probably stems from people who post here mostly being individuals who were or continue to be sexually frustrated and harbor resentment towards people who are not. Like the cognitive dissonance caused by their childishly inflated sense of self worth and their inability to succeed sexually caused them to view sexual inclinations as base and crass. This is just for the aggregate, of course. The deeper you read into any ADTRW thread in which the show has sexual themes or imagery the more you start to encounter individuals with progressively more skewed and transparent views on what sex represents. Me personally, I would like to have sex with anime and exciting developments in virtual reality technology which are driven by the free market indicate that this is a very cool idea.

Big Anime Fan Here
Sep 8, 2010

by XyloJW

laplace posted:

Madoka Magica is the best anime ever made and urobutcher made me cry a million tears because of how deep and well written it was. a million times better than Evangelion and the other pleb poo poo people watch. KlK is just for Gainax nerds who can't accept that SHAFT is the true master studio.

Anime is art. :japan:

If you like Madoka Magica that much it leads me to believe you're juuuuust dumb enough to barely grasp the insanely obvious themes, but of course I Stan VERY hard for Evangelion

laplace
Oct 9, 2012

kcab dneb smra ym semitemos tub ,reh wonk I ekil leef I
It was a ruse, I don't actually mean the things I type on the something awful dot com forums. Anime is a lie perpetuated by satanists trying to convert children into gay anime.

Big Anime Fan Here
Sep 8, 2010

by XyloJW
It sounds like the truth lies somewhere inbetween, for you

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
OK, I realise this is a big ol' derail, but it touches on an interesting subject, so Imma chat about it.

The first thing to understand is that since stories are constructed works, everything in them serves a purpose. This also applies to camera-work, as articulated in the concept of 'gaze'. Basically, whose perspective the camera is looking from, what it's looking at, and how contributes to a scene's mood and purpose. So, for instance, a lot of tight, claustrophobic shots with sinister lighting from one character's perspective will convey a sense of oppression and paranoia. A great example is this shot from It's You Guys' Fault I'm Not Popular, which nicely captures the mental state of a bitter, depressed, and very lonely otaku:

Terror in Resonance also does some masterful work with gaze, particularly with regards to lighting. In fact, it's a great show to watch if you want to learn more about cinematography. One of its biggest themes is that its child protagonists are overshadowed by the vast, uncaring machine of society, rendering them insignificant and limiting their options for making their voices heard. Now look at this shot:

It's a picture of one of the protagonists entering her school, but it's more than that. Here, we are the machine, and a small, vulnerable girl is walking into our jaws. It's this girl, Lisa, as society sees her. Ditto for this scene, where the two outcast terrorist-children are shadowed from our gaze in a sterile, brightly-lit cityscape that dwarfs them:

Observe how the boys are tucked away in a corner, further drawing our gaze away from them and underlining their irrelevance.

There's a subtype of cinematic gaze called 'male gaze'. It's where a picture, scene, or entire show is shot from a male perspective, with a woman as the object. Advertising has some great examples. A product will often be sold with a hot woman draped over it, carrying the implication of 'buy the product, get the girl'. A particularly extreme example is this BMW ad, where a used car is depicted as a beautiful, naked woman luring the (presumed male) viewer in with a seductive gaze:

Similarly, fashion adverts are often shot from the perspective of a drooling man (and may in fact contain actual drooling men), showing that if you buy this dress, you too will be an object of lust. An example (note the wide-eyed conductor at the back):

In fiction, the male gaze is used to put us in the shoes of a male audience, with the women on screen being there for us to ogle. KLK is shot from the perspective of a horny teenager, constantly looking down the female cast's dresses and up their skirts. We're encouraged to identify with this, to accept the message of 'these girls are hot, enjoy it'. It also uses a female gaze, especially when Aikuro's doing his male-stripper routine for the camera - the way the scene is framed encourages you to ogle all that delicious man-meat. A good example of KLK's use of male gaze is this shot (NSFW) - Ryuko's face is out of frame, the camera is centred on her crotch, and we're getting a good look at how her (skimpy) outfit is falling off her. It makes her look vulnerable, and it make her look hot. Even when the show itself hangs lampshades on this and pokes fun at it, the gaze is still doing its job and encouraging the presumed-male audience to leer at the pretty ladies.

Now, that hypocrisy is one reason KLK's fanservice is disliked - it's both mocking and indulging in the male gaze, trying to have its cake and eat it. The other, more serious complaint is that it very often accompanies its male gaze with violence and rape imagery, making them implicitly part of what we're supposed to be drooling at. Look at this shot (NSFW). Ryuko's battered, unconscious, and vulnerable... but the scene is shot from the perspective of the creep leering at her, and her boobs are front-and centre in the camera's framing. This becomes most explicit in the infamous rape scenes, where the presence of the male gaze (the long, loving pans down naked bodies, the tits and rear end taking front and centre) implies that incestuous rape is also something we're supposed to be enjoying as fanservice. Which is an incredibly creepy thing to ask of your audience.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Big Anime Fan Here posted:

I don't really understand the perspective where it's bad to enjoy things in a sexual way. It probably stems from people who post here mostly being individuals who were or continue to be sexually frustrated and harbor resentment towards people who are not. Like the cognitive dissonance caused by their childishly inflated sense of self worth and their inability to succeed sexually caused them to view sexual inclinations as base and crass. This is just for the aggregate, of course. The deeper you read into any ADTRW thread in which the show has sexual themes or imagery the more you start to encounter individuals with progressively more skewed and transparent views on what sex represents. Me personally, I would like to have sex with anime and exciting developments in virtual reality technology which are driven by the free market indicate that this is a very cool idea.
i dont have a problem with Anime Titties - i dont really have interest in fanservice shows and it kind of distracts from the plot if its shoehorned into a show that's actually attempting to have one, but i dont mind it existing - but i dont like how common it is for it to be something that the female characters don't actually want. like 'oh no my clothes got torn' 'oh no the protagonist walked in on me in the shower' 'oh no this sexy outfit forced itself on me'

fictional characters aren't real obviously but it still makes things kind of uncomfortable. like, a character we're supposed to feel sympathy for 99% of the time is in an uncomfortable, embarrassing position, but this time we're supposed to stop caring about her as a character and find the anime titties hot. fanservice is a lot easier to laugh off or accept as part of the show if its a character actively choosing to present themselves that way, or just a thing that happens without the anime girl being halfway to tears.

and that's my serious post on pantyshots

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Is this the worst kill la kill thread of 2014?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Not even close.

Harettazetta
Jul 22, 2006

"Well, what choice do I have!? Trust is for fools! Fear is the only reliable way!"
All these people on the internet are wrong and I must prove them wrong and I am certain they will listen to me

Simoom
Nov 30, 2009
this happens every time. lmao

e: they took the incest threesome opening from episode 21 off of youtube. what am i supposed to do now?

Simoom fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Dec 27, 2014

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

mako is funny

Simoom
Nov 30, 2009
Mako reminded me of Gir, from my favourite childhood show. im a real poo poo heap.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Harettazetta posted:

All these people on the internet are wrong and I must prove them wrong and I am certain they will listen to me

I guess if that is what you boil down any discussion to, then sure.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
This is basically you, WickedHate:

Harettazetta
Jul 22, 2006

"Well, what choice do I have!? Trust is for fools! Fear is the only reliable way!"
My point is why are we wasting time arguing about anime titties when we could be talking about how hideous Ping Pong looked.

I mean, would you rather watch this:

PingPingPingPingPingPingPingPingPingPingPingPingPingPingPingPingPingPingPingPingPingPingPingPingPingPingPingPing

PongPongPongPongPongPongPongPongPongPongPongPongPongPongPongPongPongPongPongPongPongPongPongPong

or:

TWINTAILSTWINTAILSTWINTAILSTWINTAILSTWINTAILSTWINTAILSTWINTAILSTWINTAILSTWINTAILSTWINTAILSTWINTAILS

TWINTAILSTWINTAILSTWINTAILSTWINTAILSTWINTAILSTWINTAILSTWINTAILSTWINTAILSTWINTAILSTWINTAILSTWINTAILS

The answer is obvious

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

From what I watched of Twintails the animation quality was uh, pretty dire to say the least.

Harettazetta
Jul 22, 2006

You just lack twintail affinity.

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

I didn't bother finishing Twintails or Gugure. They were both pretty mediocre.

Harettazetta
Jul 22, 2006

It's so beautiful :japan:

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Twintails was pretty good and I hope it eventually gets another season when more dumb LN books come out and the publisher wants another super expensive commercial

The Monkey Man
Jun 10, 2012

HERD U WERE TALKIN SHIT

Srice posted:

From what I watched of Twintails the animation quality was uh, pretty dire to say the least.

:thejoke:

(I loved it despite its low budget)

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Harettazetta posted:

Hey, I find cinematography interesting, and I have fun writing :words: about it on the Internet. Sue me.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

The Monkey Man posted:

:thejoke:

(I loved it despite its low budget)

I honestly couldn't tell it was a joke because of how the general following the show here had talked about it :v:

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.

Darth Walrus posted:

Hey, I find cinematography interesting, and I have fun writing :words: about it on the Internet. Sue me.
Your post was one of the few productive things in this "discussion."

I mean why the gently caress did Wicked Hate have to go through another beatdown when posts like this...

Endorph posted:

Ping Pong
and this...

Harettazetta posted:

My point is why are we wasting time arguing about anime titties when we could be talking about how hideous Ping Pong looked.
exist in the thread.

Big Anime Fan Here
Sep 8, 2010

by XyloJW
ADTRW is irl full of moe apologists

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Bury me with my moe...

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

RatHat posted:

Dude, stop trying to justify it to yourself. It's okay to like a show that has fanservice in it.

I don't have to justify it. I like lots of shows with fanservice, and some that are almost entirely fanservice, and I'm fine with that. I still consider them good shows and worthy of respect. I genuinely can't look at the stuff in KLK and think it's not just a joke.

Armor-Piercing posted:

I thought Twintails was kind of creepy for the way it treated part of a girl's hair as so important, but it seemed cool that it's format was like a classic toku show but animated.

Big Anime Fan Here
Sep 8, 2010

by XyloJW

Why does the one on the right have her pussy out but there's no labes?

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

WickedHate posted:

I genuinely can't look at the stuff in KLK and think it's not just a joke.

I thought Twintails was kind of creepy for the way it treated part of a girl's hair as so important

Beautiful

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

low budget pussy

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Armor-Piercing posted:

The right one's pants have vanished and her left eye is attempting to escape her face

the finest animation quality

Big Anime Fan Here
Sep 8, 2010

by XyloJW
every moe anime has worst animation than stringendo and accelerando: ultimatum sera which is just scene after scene of people sucking the cum out of dicks. They have worse plots and less believable characters as well. Funny, how things are, sometimes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I tried to watch Kill La Kill, but just found it kind of dull around half-way through. I didn't stop because I was disgusted, but because I just didn't find the plot very interesting and it seemed to repeatedly rehash the same themes (along with the same music, etc). With one or two exceptions the fight scenes were also pretty lame.

• Locked thread