Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

So darkgray's made his thread for the best animes of 2014. This is not that thread, this is here for us to vote on the worst of 2014. The rules (with exceptions) and formatting are totally lifted from his thread because I am unoriginal and lazy. The list is also lifted from his thread, so many thanks to Darkgray for putting in all the work.

The rules

1.) Pick 5 titles from the list below that you have watched at least three episodes of
2.) Write about why the show was bad. Was it disappointing? Was it poorly animated?
3.) Discuss choices, but keep it civil. Someone disliking something you liked isn't the end of the world.
4.) Feel free to rank things 1-5 if you want
5.) Feel free to give dishonourable mentions to other things that nearly made the list, but please differentiate these from your votes

Please note the biggest difference, you can only vote on things you've at least given the three episode test to. This is so that people think about what they've watched that's the worst as opposed to just giving me a block of votes for all the incest shows (unless you gave an incest show a 3 ep test for whatever reason). You don't have to have finished the anim though.

The list

code:
Abarenbou Rikishi!! Matsutarou (Rowdy Sumo Wrestler Matsutaro)
Ai Mai Mi -Mousou Catastrophe- (s2)
Ai Tenchi Muyou!
Akame ga Kill!
Akuma no Riddle
Aldnoah Zero
Amagi Brilliant Park
Ao Haru Ride (Blue Spring Ride)
Baby Steps
Bakumatsu Rock
Barakamon
Black Bullet
Blade & Soul
Bokura wa Minna Kawaisou (The Kawai Complex Guide to Manors and Hostel Behavior)
Break Blade (Broken Blade)
Buddy Complex
Captain Earth
Cardfight!! Vanguard Legion Mate-hen + Link Joker-hen
Carino Coni
Chibi Devi!
Chuunibyou demo Koi ga Shitai! Ren (Chu2 s2)
D-Frag!
Daitoshokan no Hitsujikai (A Good Librarian Like a Good Shepherd)
Danna ga Nani wo Itteiru ka Wakaranai Ken (I Can't Understand What My Husband Is Saying)
Date A Live II
Denki-gai no Honya-san
Dibetagurashi -Ahiru no Seikatsu-
DokiDoki! Precure (s10?)
Donten ni Warau (Laughing Under the Clouds)
Double Circle
DRAMAtical Murder
Duel Masters Victory V3
Escha & Logy no Atelier -Tasogare no Sora no Renkinjutsushi-
Fate/kaleid liner Prisma Illya 2wei!
Fate/stay night [Unlimited Blade Works]
Free! -Eternal Summer- (s2)
Futsuu no Joshikousei ga Locodol Yattemita
Fuuun Ishin Dai Shogun
Gaist Crusher
Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun (Monthly Girls' Nozaki-kun)
Gin no Saji s2 (Silver Spoon)
Girlfriend (Kari)
Glasslip
GO!GO!575
Gochuumon wa Usagi Desu ka? (Is the Order a Rabbit?)
Gokukoku no Brynhildr (Brynhildr in the Darkness)
Golden Time
Grisaia no Kajitsu -Le Fruit de la Grisaia-
Gugure! Kokkuri-san 
Gundam Build Fighters
Gundam-san
Haikyuu!!
Hajime no Ippo -Rising- (Fighting Spirit s3)
Hamatora the Animation (s1+s2)
Hanamonogatari
Hanayamata
Hi sCoool! SeHa Girls
Himegoto
Himitsukessha Taka no Tsume MAX
Hitsugi no Chaika (Chaika - The Coffin Princess)
Hoozuki no Reitetsu
Hunter x Hunter (2011)
Inari Konkon Koi Iroha
Inazuma Eleven GO Galaxy
Initial D Final Stage
Inou-Battle wa Nichijou-kei no Naka de (When Supernatural Battles Became Commonplace)
Inugami-san to Nekoyama-san
Isshuukan Friends (One Week Friends)
Jewelpet Happiness (s5)
Jinsei
Jojo no Kimyou na Bouken -Stardust Crusaders- (Jojo's Bizarre Adventure s2)
Kamigami no Asobi
Kanojo ga Flag wo Oraretara (If Her FlagBreaks)
Kantoku Fuyuki Todoki
Kenzen Robo Daimidaler
Keroro (s2)
Kill la Kill
Kindaichi Shounen no Jikenbo R
Kingdom s2
Kiniro no Corda -Blue Sky- (s3)
Konna Watashitachi ga Nariyuki de Heroine ni Natta Kekka www
Koukaku Kidoutai Nyuumon Arise (Ghost in the Shell Nyuumon Arise)
Kuroko no Basket s2 (Kuroko's Basket)
Kuromajo-san ga Tooru!! (Here Comes the Black Witch)
Kuroshitsuji -Book of Circus- (Black Butler s3)
Line Town
Log Horizon
Love Live s2
Love Stage!!
M3 -Sono Kuroki Hagane-
Madan no Ou to Vanadis (Lord Marksman and Vanadis)
Magi -The Kingdom of Magic- (s2)
Mahou Sensou (Magical Warfare)
Mahou Shoujo Taisen
Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei (The Irregular at Magic High School)
Maido! Uruyasu Tekkin Kazoku
Majimoji Rurumo
Maken-ki Tsuu (s2)
Mangaka-san to Assistant-san to the Animation (The Comic Artist and Assistants)
Medamayaki no Kimi Itsu Tsubusu?
Meitantei Rascal
Mekaku City Actors
Meshimase Lodoss-tou Senki -Sore'tte Oishii no?-
Mikakunin de Shinkoukei (Engaged to the Unidentified)
Minarai Diva
Minna Atsumare! Falcom Gakuen
Momo Kyun Sword
Mushishi Zoku Shou (s2)
Nagi no Asukara
Nandaka Velonica
Nisekoi
No Game No Life
Nobunaga Concerto
Nobunaga the Fool
Nobunagun
Noragami
Nourin
Onee-chan ga Kita
Ookami Shoujo to Kuro Ouji (Wolf Girl and Balck Prince)
Ore Twintails ni Narimasu (Gonna be the Twin-Tail)
Oshiri Kajiri Mushi s2 (Bottom Biting Bug)
Persona 4 the Golden Animation
Phi Brain -Kami no Puzzle- s3
Ping Pong the Animation
Pokemon XY Special Saikyou Mega Shinka Act I+II
Pretty Rhythm -Rainbow Live- (s3)
Psycho-Pass 2
Puchimasu!! -Puchipuchi Idolmaster- (PUCHIM@S s2)
Pupa
Pupipo!
Rail Wars!
Robot Girls Z
Rokujouma no Shinryakusha!?
Ryuugajou Nanana no Maizoukin (Nanana's Buried Treasure)
Sabagebu! (Survival Game Club)
Saikin Imouto no Yousu ga Chotto Okashii'n da ga (Recently My Sister is Unusual)
Saikyou Ginga Ultimate Zero -Battle Spirits-
Saint Seiya Omega
Saki Zenkoku-hen (Saki: The Nationals)
Sakura Trick
Samurai Flamenco
Seikoku no Dragonar (Dragonar Academy)
Seirei Tsukai no Blade Dance (Blade Dance of the Elementalers)
Seitokai Yakuindomo s2
Sekai Seifuku -Bouryaku no Zvezda- (World Conquest Zvezda Plot)
Selector Infected/Spread WIXOSS
Sengoku Basara -Judge End- (s3)
Shingeki no Bahamut -Genesis- (Rage of Bahamut: Genesis)
Shirogane no Ishi Argevollen
Shounen Hollywood -Holly Stage for 49-
Sidonia no Kishi (Knights of Sidonia)
Sora no Method (Celestial Method)
Soredemo Sekai wa Utsukushii (The World Is Still Beautiful)
Soul Eater Not!
Space Dandy (s1+s2)
Strange+ (s1+s2)
Strike the Blood
Super Sonico the Animation
Sword Art Online II
Tales of Zestiria -Doushi no Yoake-
Tamagotchi! -Miracle Friends-
Tanken Driland -1000-nen no Mahou- (s2)
Terraformars
Tesagure! Bukatsumono Encore (s2)
Toaru Hikuushi e no Koiuta (The Pilot's Love Song)
Tokyo ESP
Tokyo Ghoul
Tokyo Ravens
Tonari no Seki-kun
Toriko
Trinity Seven
Tsukimonogatari
Uchuu Kyoudai (Space Brothers)
Ushinawareta Mirai wo Motomete (In Search of Lost Future)
Wake Up Girls!
Washimo -wasimo-
Witch Craft Works
Wizard Barristers -Benmashi Cecil-
Wooser no Sono Higurashi -Kakusei-hen- (s2)
World Fool News
Yama no Susume s2 (Encouragement of Climb)
Yami Shibai s2
Yowamushi Pedal
Yu-Gi-Oh! Zexal II
Yuuki Yuuna wa Yuusha de Aru (Yuki Yuna Is a Hero)
Z/X Ignition
Zankyou no Terror (Terror in Resonance)
:siren:If you haven't done already, please take the time to vote in the Best anime thread:siren:

Results Happened

Namtab fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Jan 3, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Mahouka is the only bad show i can actually vote for so that

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

fate/stay night :colbert:

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
This thread is a trick trying to get me to admit all of the bad anime that I've watched and I'm not going to fall for it no sir.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Congrats to Danna ga Nani wo Itteiru ka Wakaranai Ken (I Can't Understand What My Husband Is Saying), who wins this years longest title award, and was the one that officially breaks the tables on my web browser.

Stall_19
Jan 2, 2013

Prodigy of Victor von Doom

Cake Attack posted:

Mahouka is the only bad show i can actually vote for so that

Yeah this. I watched the entire thing and I can't think of a single positive thing to say about it. Thread feels kinda pointless as people generally don't watch the horrible stuff. A lot of the stuff I watched this year that I didn't care for don't belong on a worst anime of 2014 list.

Mahouka, Chuunibyou season 2 & Psycho-Pass 2 are the only 3 I can say that was active that bad. Everything else was just kinda mediocre. Like I didn't care for Terror in Resonance but it doesn't belong on a worst of list.

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

The correct answer is all of them, I think.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

1.) Kill la kill - Excessively overhyped garbage that recycles one plot point at least three times and also has a woman finger her daughter. Trigger did not save anime.

2.) Chuu-2 S2 - I enjoyed season 1 enough to make a thread for this. It turned out to be insanely dull and an unnecessary sequel.

3.) Gochuumon wa Usagi Desu ka? - I'm usually a sucker for shows where cute girls do nothing but this just didn't do it for me.

4.) Hamatora - Dull non-action. No consequences for anyone.

5.) Super Sonico the animation - Bad

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
This could be interesting. I generally find it easier to explain what's wrong with a work of fiction than what's right with it.

#5: Selector Infected Wixoss - Contradicts its own established rules almost constantly. And why are we supposed to sympathize with Yuzuki, exactly?
#4: Sailor Moon Crystal - It's possible it got better after I dropped it, and I actually liked some of the animation, but on the whole I found the plots dull, and Usagi's bad-at-everything personality didn't help.
#3: Sword Art Online II - The first half is aggressively boring at times. The second half rises to the level of mediocrity.
#2: The Pilot's Love Song - The ending actually made me mad. The lesson the main character learns, instead of "violence should be a last resort," is "you should kill out of love instead of out of hatred." That's pretty warped, and none of the other characters seem to realize how warped it is.
#1: Wizard Barristers - Incredibly silly. The main character is the type of Mary Sue who's special inherently rather than because of anything she does, the portrayal of the legal system lacks even internal consistency, and the animation quality in one of the later episodes has to be seen to be believed.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Dec 21, 2014

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Definitely an easier task to pick my least favorites than my favorites this year. A Good Year for Anime.

Brynhildr in the Darkness - A confession: past Yes_Cantaloupe loved Elfen Lied when it came out. Present Yes_Cantaloupe does not, and this is the same exact thing, but without any pretense at originality.

Inugami-san to Nekoyama-san - I'm normally all for your brainless yuri shows, but this was awful dreck. I don't bore easily, but this managed it, and in just a handful of minutes per episode.

Argevollen - To quote the famous Yes_Cantaloupe:

The Famous Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

With every new episode, Argevollen has teetered on the brink of being continued or dropped. In most respects, it's not bad, but I don't think I can stand the idiocy of the main character any longer. More specifically, I don't think I can stand the tolerance everyone around him seems to have for it. He repeatedly makes poor decisions and not only is routinely forgiven, but even rewarded.

Hanayamata - Much as with brainless yuri, I'm usually up for a SoL moe show each season, but this one just didn't do it for me. Colorful visuals, dull characters. They mostly seemed like low-effort copies of Kiniro Mosaic characters.

Kanojo ga Flag wo Oraretara - I gave this the 3-ep. test because the first had enough amusing to trick me. The next two had all the weaknesses of the first with none of the strengths. I'd be more specific, but I can't really recall any specifics. It was your standard harem comedy, complete with living in the same building with the haremettes with no adult supervision.

Honorable mention goes to Love Live!, which I actually finished. It was dull even by SoL standards, but I figured I might as well spend as much time watching the anime as I do playing the stupid cell phone rhythm game.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Isn't it a race to the bottom between Mahouka and Cross Ange?

I haven't watched either of them.

Stall_19
Jan 2, 2013

Mordja posted:

Isn't it a race to the bottom between Mahouka and Cross Ange?

I haven't watched either of them.

It's Mahouka. I haven't watched Cross Ange but from what I've heard of it, for all it's faults, it's doesn't seem boring. Mahouka commits the greatest sin of being absolutely joyless bore. There's a like no energy at all in that anime.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

Kanojo ga Flag wo Oraretara - I gave this the 3-ep. test because the first had enough amusing to trick me. The next two had all the weaknesses of the first with none of the strengths. I'd be more specific, but I can't really recall any specifics. It was your standard harem comedy, complete with living in the same building with the haremettes with no adult supervision.

Man, that show has the most hilariously :wtc: ending. Literally the matrix, only stupider.

Apparently none of the lovely anime I watched this year was actually from this year, so I guess... Akuma no Riddle? Sword Art Online II was an amazingly awful adaption too, but I didn't even finish it.

Oh, Persona 4 Golden was a thing I watched that was bad. I would have been okay with all the shoehorned in Marie stuff if they hadn't hosed up the ending so hard.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

1.Mahouka. -Aggressively- boring to the point of being unwatchable. Good setting, but the plot, factions and main characters are all awful. Author has some weird hang-ups on women's clothes, foreign countries and apparently the millennial generation. The main character is an emotionless, unlikable Marty Stu. He pulls powers out of his rear end and is never in any danger ever. Second to him is his sister Miyuki who has an unhealthy obsession with him, but will never, ever do anything untoward because the author has LNs to sell. The entire conceit of the story is quickly rendered moot because Tatsuya is Just So Awesome. There are no stakes in this show and everyone except for terrorists is a Randian rear end in a top hat. This image tells you all you need to know, it captures the show shockingly well:

2. Wizard Barristers started off strong but went downhill fast. The main character is like a really worthless Phoenix Wright and she progressively gets dumber as the show trudges along. The other cast members get even worse, if such a thing were possible, especially the rival who goes from a stern, but justified professional to a snippy, shallow bitch. The show had some infamous budget problems as seen in the last two episodes. I hate it because it squandered so much potential and didn't even have the decency to be enjoyable for the action alone.

3. Akame ga Kill. I know goons like this show, but it's really, really bad. Chaika's existence means there is pretty much no reason to watch this show ever. The fights are boring, the animation has obvious shortcuts, the characters are cardboard thin and the main cast is aggressively unlikable. It flies by on cheap exploitation and gore, but that is not nearly enough to carry it. The biggest nail in its coffin is the cast. If they weren't composed of cliche anime tropes (there's the tsundere! There's the cool dispassionate sword person! etc) this show might have been worth watching, but the writers clearly couldn't give a poo poo about that, so it's not. The show also does a thing I hate, where it sexualizes characters or situations, then gives a "reasonable" explanation why the character/situation was sexualized to tut-tut the audience for assuming the show was going for the lowest common denominator. gently caress you show, that is exactly what you are doing and it is disingenuous and pathetic.

4. Glassslip the second I remember what this show was about, I will explain why it is on this list. It was just a giant vortex of boring. Had little to do with glassmaking, which was a real loving shame. Especially since this show looked really, really nice.

5. Rail Wars You. Had. One. loving. Job. Animate this. There. You're done. I would have thrown money at the monitor and bought the Blu Ray. Instead it was just worthless T&A show that somehow had all the fun dry-pressed out of it.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Mahouka: This show was aggressively boring and nearly every single character exists primarily to be amazed at anything that Gary Stu does. The MC is so edgy that his brain's been messed with to the point where his only emotion is :siren: platonic love for his sister :siren:
Kill la Kill: I'm probably going to get a lot of hate for this one, but it was too blatantly skeevy for my tastes (and I watch nearly every romcom and harem in any given season) and it was more monster-of-the-week than Power Rangers. Also the girl with the eyebrows had terrible design.
Psycho-Pass S2: I couldn't even get past 4 episodes of this. Basically the new girl starts working with the MC immediately decides "gently caress you, I only just started and you've for far more experience in this job than I have but I'm right and you're wrong because I'm a loving whiny teenage bitch!". I've had the displeasure of working with egotistical ,self-entitled asshats like that before and it's a lesson in frustration to say the least. Not something I'd want to waste my free time on.
Tokyo Ghoul: Censored gore really took away any 'horror' the show was trying to aim for, and the ending was aggressively dumb, where nothing happened and only one thing was resolved with a whole bunch of loose ends. I'm still waiting for ep 13 to come out and explain why the gently caress the show ends in that white room and what's happening outside but a whole season's come and gone in the meantime. I don't think it's going to happen.
SAO S2: Yep, they somehow managed to make the GGO arc worse than Fairy Dance. Enough said.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Stall_19 posted:

It's Mahouka. I haven't watched Cross Ange but from what I've heard of it, for all it's faults, it's doesn't seem boring. Mahouka commits the greatest sin of being absolutely joyless bore. There's a like no energy at all in that anime.

I watched all of Buddy Complex and one episode of Cross Ange and the latter was a hell of a lot more memorable than the former so that is definitely something concrete.

Stall_19
Jan 2, 2013

SSNeoman posted:

4. Glassslip the second I remember what this show was about, I will explain why it is on this list. It was just a giant vortex of boring. Had little to do with glassmaking, which was a real loving shame. Especially since this show looked really, really nice.

Oh god, I remember that. What was that even about? Can someone explain it to me? I want to read a summary of that entire series because I watched all 12 episode and I still don't even know the point of that show.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Argevollen I somehow made it to episode 19 before I realized that I didn't give even the slightest of shits about the characters or the plot.

Aldnoah.Zero Its merits generally outweighed its faults until that last episode (i know it's split cour) man that last episode. :cripes:

The thread rules mean I can't actually vote for Cross Ange or Mahouka. Which would be a shame if it wasn't an immense relief.

I didn't watch any other bad shows, and you can't prove otherwise! :colbert:

:cripes: Akame ga Kill :cripes:

I would vote Flag anime except I'm not entirely unconvinced it wasn't some sort of really elaborate psychology experiment being conducted upon the audience.

paragon1 fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Dec 21, 2014

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
No one was killed in Kill La Kill, Once protag girl started fighting the generals every 3 episodes had the same arc of "I'm Smug"->Loses way-> Acts Depressed-> Finds way. The entire last 16 episodes were the same thing repeated ad nauseum while a woman fingers her daughter. 0/10 Best Show.

Kortel
Jan 7, 2008

Nothing to see here.

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

No one was killed in Kill La Kill, Once protag girl started fighting the generals every 3 episodes had the same arc of "I'm Smug"->Loses way-> Acts Depressed-> Finds way. The entire last 16 episodes were the same thing repeated ad nauseum while a woman fingers her daughter. 0/10 Best Show.
Wasn't her father killed? Plus the big bad?

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
no see it's a pun because kill in japanese is a homophone for "to wear" and "to cut"

And I say RWBY is the worst anime because there was a thread for it here
2nd worst is tohou
3rd worst is kancollle

2nd and 3rd worst may be the same thing

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

OnimaruXLR posted:

I actually want to change my answer to this.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Poniard posted:

I actually want to change my answer to this.

Eh. It's inoffensive and has some fun fight scenes. The episodic nature means that even if an episode is bad, it only lasts for like 10 mins. RWBY's biggest sin is that Ohm can't get over himself, but it's at least watchable. That's way more than what you can say for quite a few shows in the OP.
I mean it's your opinion, but considering Mahouka is on the list can you really say that RWBY belongs here?

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
The scraps of periphery I've seen of Mahouka make it seem innocuous to the point of not knowing what it is. There was that cover that the little idiot from SAO was on with that guy. Is it a spinoff? I don't know or care.

RWBY, on the other hand, is pretty clearly terrible at a glance, even if they're brief, distant glimpses.

Stall_19
Jan 2, 2013

RWBY isn't an anime.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Kortel posted:

Wasn't her father killed? Plus the big bad?

Flash Back and a Suicide. Doesn't count :colbert:

OnimaruXLR posted:

no see it's a pun because kill in japanese is a homophone for "to wear" and "to cut"

2nd worst is tohou
3rd worst is kancollle

2nd and 3rd worst may be the same thing

I watched all of it because a friend raved about it thinking "Well this MUST get good at some point, right?". The animation is loving trash, the characters are annoying, and Nothing. Happens. For episodes on end. Nothing but terrible characters reading terrible dialog trying to sound cute and cool and being the most groan worthy I've seen an anime be this year that wasn't Kill La Kill or Infinite Stratos.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Dec 21, 2014

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

my favorite part of RWBy is them pumping up the team dynamic but the leads barely say like ten words to each other

still better than mahouka though because at least it isn't actively racist

Strong Mouse
Jun 11, 2012

You disrespect us. You drag corpses around. You steal, and you hurt feelings!

RRRRRRRAAAAARGH!

Prepare to die!
Mahouka - The thread for it was great until I got tired of it, but still... I don't even know how I got through half the season. The main character is the most perfect person in the universe, and all the girls want him, but he can't notice because he always has to be :geno:

Rail Wars - Why were you so bland? Why? You could have been interesting. The first couple episodes were a little interesting. Instead we get some stupid poo poo and I just gave up on watching.

Daimidalar - What the gently caress did I sit though? I watched far too many episodes of this and I have no idea why. I even made some gifs of this show.

Black Bullet - I thought it was interesting, but it hit a huge high point really early, and then I just couldn't keep watching. I even made a thread for it because I thought it was going to go somewhere.

Lauging Under the Clouds - 3 episodes. That is what I gave this show. By the third, they hinted at a larger plot, but by then I couldn't stand the brothers anymore.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

OnimaruXLR posted:

The scraps of periphery I've seen of Mahouka make it seem innocuous to the point of not knowing what it is. There was that cover that the little idiot from SAO was on with that guy. Is it a spinoff? I don't know or care.

it's a lovely LN where the MC is literally god and can snap his fingers and kill anyone, his sister wants to bone him, he hates the Chinese, calls them racially inferior and calls for their extermination.

despite that potential for trainwreck it's interminably boring

Hocus Pocus
Sep 7, 2011

I gave Sword Art Online II far too many chances. The first 14 episodes of SAO are pretty good, not great, but solid high budget fantasy fare. There was a sense of adventure, an interesting emerging world and community, and an OP hero. The second arc had a rape cage and it was down hill from there. GGO was boring garbage where nothing happened and people talked in caves forever, then when that ended they went back to the lame fairy world where you can't actually die and did some bullshit I don't care about. By allowing characters to log out and not die, you remove whatever 'realism' the characters felt towards the virtual world and remove all stakes and gently caress who cares

Tokyo Ghoul just got progressively less and less interesting as characters showed little development, and nothing interesting was done with the idea. A counterpoint to this would be the ongoing Parasyte - which continually finds new and interesting angles to play on its premise. The ghoul's backgrounds were like a Twilight fan's idea of mysterious - moody behavior but no actual information or story.

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

I watched like 8 episodes of Mahouka almost back to back and I couldn't remember what show it was until someone posted a picture of the main character. The show is literally just oh my god look how awesome my brother / the main character is every episode.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

The biggest problem with Mahouka wasn't that it was incredibly boring with no redeemable qualities, but it also had a talented staff working on it that could have been spent doing something else. Madhouse sort of does whatever people tell them to do but they do make good adaptations (as long as the source is good) but using Iwasaki to do the OST is criminally wasted on this series.

Similarly Cross Ange is wasting Akiko Shikata :smith:

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Similarly Cross Ange is wasting Akiko Shikata :smith:

I didn't touch the show for obvious reasons once I heard first impressions but I just looked up the soundtrack because hell yeah Akiko Shikata and apparently the new Nana Mizuki single I like so much is this hell show's OP.

jpop is suffering

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
The only bad anime I watched this season was Psycho-Pass 2, but boy was it awful.

I'm genuinely confused why anyone thought Mahouka was going to be anything but the posterchild for how awful 90% of LNs are.

Blockhouse fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Dec 21, 2014

Creamed Cormp
Jan 8, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I tend to not watch a lot of anime, and especially not waste time watching stuff that I find bad/unentertaining. You should try to do that, it really makes anime much more enjoyable :smug:

Seriously though, I guess I'd like to say a lot of bad things about SAO II, mostly because of how it constantly manages to have a few good ideas and then fail to execute them in the worst way possible. Life or death gungame where the rules are entirely new for our protagonist? Welp, don't mind if we take 3 episodes dumping exposition for the sake of it.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

I enjoyed posting excerpts from the LNs to make fun of, so I got some enjoyment out of mahouka

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Those posts (along with wickedhate fanatically defending the nationalism, incest and everything else wrong with it) was what made that thread good.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
OK, these may not be the worst shows this year, but they're the worst I've watched any significant amount of. In no particular order:

Saint Seiya Omega Season II: The first season was low-budget but fun shonen with an endearing cast of characters. The second season made the budget even lower, leeched out all the fun, introduced an irritating kids sidekick, and buried that endearing cast under an endless, meaningless parade of fanservicey cameos from earlier shows in the franchise.

Wizard Barristers: Spent most of its runtime as a pretty but incredibly poorly-written urban fantasy action show with a wafer-thin law-procedural veneer. Then they ran out of time and budget in the most spectacular, hilarious way possible.

Nobunaga The Fool: The premise suggested we were in for some silly, entertainingly spectacular Code Geass-style action, but they didn't have the budget or direction talent to pull it off. Jesus Christ, guys, you had mecha battles between Julius Caesar and Oda Nobunaga. How the gently caress did you screw that up? :argh: Dropped halfway through.

Honourable mentions: M3, Captain Earth, The Pilot's Love Song, and Buddy Complex were weak and dull but not aggressively bad, and Nanana's Buried Treasure needed way less anime and way more Indiana Jones. I dropped all of them before they ended.

Still waiting for someone who's watched enough of Recently, My Sister Is Unusual to justify putting it on their list. :unsmigghh:

Darth Walrus fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Dec 21, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool
I have no real order for these, but I figure I'll let them speak for themselves.

Sakura Trick - Figured it would be way more interesting, at least in a dumb anime way, than just sitting uncomfortably as two girls kiss and make gross saliva noises.

Sailor Moon - Made me realize that any nostalgia for Sailor Moon has to have been from the old cartoon only because the pacing is both too fast and seeming to have nothing going on. You don't seem to get time to even know the characters. Also art holy cow.

Inou Battle - I am not an Andou fan and everything tends to gravitate to him. Also the latest ep suddenly tried to make things serious when nothing has been really serious except for a great moment of character building they barely called back to.

Nobunaga the Fool - I watched some of this with a friend and do not remember being very impressed with it. Was glad when we dropped it.

I guess I do not have 5 of them really but I give honorable mentions to Denki-gai and I can't understand what my husband is saying which I dropped an episode and a half in so they cannot qualify.

• Locked thread