Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Chimera-gui posted:

It didn't help that the first experiments with bringing fifth-gen mascots into the sixth gen systems, Spyro: Enter the Dragonfly and Crash Bandicoot: Wrath of Cortex, were pretty abysmal failures by all accounts and not a promising omen.

I'd say there are some underrated gems like Ty the Tasmanian Tiger (which is actually being LP'd right now) and Mario Sunshine but otherwise there was a lot of garbage.

Enter the Dragonfly was horrific. It makes this game look like a respectful grand finale for the franchise with champagne and caviar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Neruz posted:

the obsession with 'realistic' graphics makes platformer level design even harder because realistic graphics and navigating complex platform environments do not work well together at all.
I don't understand the obsession these days with realism in video games in general. IMO the entire point of video games is escapism.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Y-Hat posted:

I don't understand the obsession these days with realism in video games in general. IMO the entire point of video games is escapism.

Pretty graphics wow people instantly and work on anyone who sees even a short segment, good gameplay only wows the people who actually play it.

Major_JF
Oct 17, 2008
That and going from 4 to 8 to 16 bit more realistic WAS a selling point because you could have a knight with a sword instead of a stick figure with a longer arm. One of the issues is that it got ingrained that this was the only real way to improve a game by making it less abstract.
On the flip side, can you imagine Banjo-Kazooie on the Atari 2600? Kazooie would be a single pixel.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Yeah, for awhile better graphics really did mean a better game but we passed the point where that stopped being the case some time during the 2000s, I'd peg it at somewhere around 2007ish, unfortunately very few developers seem to have realized this.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.
wait where is the Ty Let's Play? It was one of those games I was curious about but never got to play.

Major_JF
Oct 17, 2008
2004-7 sounds about right. I think the professional critics also had a hand in it. The graphics didn't match what other people were doing so it gets a lower score and then a CEO somewhere sees the lower score and then throws more money at the art side and you can see how this cycle goes.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014

Stallion Cabana posted:

wait where is the Ty Let's Play? It was one of those games I was curious about but never got to play.

Here's the thread: link

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

:siren:
TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!
:siren:

Major_JF posted:

On the flip side, can you imagine Banjo-Kazooie on the Atari 2600? Kazooie would be a single pixel.
That's not really how the Atari 2600 works.

Ghost Stromboli
Mar 31, 2011

Neruz posted:

Yeah, for awhile better graphics really did mean a better game but we passed the point where that stopped being the case some time during the 2000s, I'd peg it at somewhere around 2007ish, unfortunately very few developers seem to have realized this.

Yup. Arguably it's reached a point where, yes, the graphics in any given game could be amazing, but we're getting way too ahead of ourselves. There's more work put into making it look nice than making sure it's a balanced game or the AI doesn't suck. But those aren't as immediately noticeable.

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING
Well, no, the thing is, there wasn't ever a period where "better graphics" made for a better game in and of themselves. It's just that for a long time (in video game years anyway) the technological advancements that allowed people to make better games with more complex programming also enabled those games to have better graphics. People who don't understand properly what actually makes a game good latched onto that correlation and decided that better graphics=better games, but really, somewhere around the PS2 we hit a point where raw graphical rendering power couldn't improve in a meaningful way; no amount of making the numbers on the microchips go higher was going to make the game look better or play better. It's all about what you do with the rendering power you've got. This is why everyone still loves Okami and Wind Waker, and everyone vomits in disgust at whatever was the latest Call of Duty in 2005.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Dr. Buttass posted:

Well, no, the thing is, there wasn't ever a period where "better graphics" made for a better game in and of themselves. It's just that for a long time (in video game years anyway) the technological advancements that allowed people to make better games with more complex programming also enabled those games to have better graphics. People who don't understand properly what actually makes a game good latched onto that correlation and decided that better graphics=better games, but really, somewhere around the PS2 we hit a point where raw graphical rendering power couldn't improve in a meaningful way; no amount of making the numbers on the microchips go higher was going to make the game look better or play better. It's all about what you do with the rendering power you've got. This is why everyone still loves Okami and Wind Waker, and everyone vomits in disgust at whatever was the latest Call of Duty in 2005.
:lol:

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
Dr. Buttass has it right: It wasn't so much the graphics rather the technology that allowed for the graphics, that's why games that made use of their limits like Wind Waker Okami did were so well received.

Hell, Kalon even made a comment to this extent during the Ratchet & Clank: Tools of Destruction LP since cartoony games like R&C tend to age better than games that go for realism.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
Will you guys go back and listen to/read all those infoposts in the levels? I feel like I'm missing out on a lot of important lore and context to understand the game's narrative arc and overarching themes.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Discendo Vox posted:

Will you guys go back and listen to/read all those infoposts in the levels? I feel like I'm missing out on a lot of important lore and context to understand the game's narrative arc and overarching themes.

Have no fear, friend. This will be a 100% sign-reading run. :)

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Dr. Buttass posted:

I have no idea if you're being sarcastic or not here.

Better computer specs have absolutely allowed developers to do things that would be completely unheard of a few years ago. Yes, quite a few games have prioritized super-pretty graphics over tightening up gameplay, but that doesn't mean that having more powerful underlying hardware hasn't allowed for significantly more complex systems in games.

Shadows of Mordor is a great example of this, since the game has something like 40 gigabytes of audio data, and that vast quantity of audio data would not only have been unattainable on a PS2 era console, but not having it would detract significantly from the game itself. That doesn't even begin to mention how the game can handle large numbers of complicated enemies, support a large open world populated with said large number of enemies (you can be fighting a group of orcs while other groups of orcs are fighting each other and/or the local wildlife), and do all of this while looking very pretty.

Edit: VV Unless I'm horribly misunderstanding something, it seems to me that he's saying that increasing computing power stopped making games better sometime prior to the PS3 being released. I'm taking issue with that statement and saying that the increased computing power we have now is still making games more interesting, allowing for new mechanics, and doing some cool stuff in general.

Dirk the Average fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Dec 30, 2014

insanityv2
May 15, 2011

I'm gay
Maybe I just had a brain fart, but did you just say more or less the same thing as the guy you quoted?

Better technology = more complex (better) games AND better graphics

but

better graphics != better games.

insanityv2 fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Dec 30, 2014

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Y'know, a lot of people have said "ugh, this vehicle-building concept is dogshit" in this thread, but I think it's a pretty goddamn interesting one.

It's just this particular realization of said concept that's dogshit.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

insanityv2 posted:

Maybe I just had a brain fart, but did you just say more or less the same thing as the guy you quoted?

Better technology = more complex (better) games AND better graphics

but

better graphics != better games.

He's referring to this part, which is kinda silly and just implies that was the time period he personally liked best (out of nostalgia?). I mean, have you played/seen a ps2 game recently?

quote:

somewhere around the PS2 we hit a point where raw graphical rendering power couldn't improve in a meaningful way; no amount of making the numbers on the microchips go higher was going to make the game look better or play better.

mycot fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Dec 30, 2014

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

mycot posted:

He's referring to this part, which is kinda silly and just implies that was the time period he personally liked best (out of nostalgia?). I mean, have you played/seen a ps2 game recently?
Eh.

Obviously not a direct comparison but it sprang to mind. I can say that I personally don't really give a poo poo about graphics so long as they aren't a sordid loving mess or awful, as I've never been wowed by them either. Some folks play games for the gameplay, though obviously most folks need at least a certain level of graphics unless they're hardcore grog.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Eh.

Obviously not a direct comparison but it sprang to mind. I can say that I personally don't really give a poo poo about graphics so long as they aren't a sordid loving mess or awful, as I've never been wowed by them either. Some folks play games for the gameplay, though obviously most folks need at least a certain level of graphics unless they're hardcore grog.
nice av

Great Joe fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Dec 30, 2014

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Eh.

Both pictures are SquareEnix prerendered cutscenes, come on. Don't be like the back of a PSX game box that has pictures of the FMVs when the actual game looks like...a PSX game.

mycot fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Dec 30, 2014

Hammurabi
Nov 4, 2009

mycot posted:

Both pictures are SquareEnix prerendered cutscenes, come on. Don't be like the back of a PSX game box that has pictures of the FMVs when the actual game looks like...a PSX game.

The top one is a prerendered cutscene. IIRC the bottom one is actually what the in-game graphics themselves look like.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Hammurabi posted:

The top one is a prerendered cutscene. IIRC the bottom one is actually what the in-game graphics themselves look like.

Top one is original FFX on PS2, bottom is FFX HD rerelease on PS3/PS4. Both scenes are rendered in-engine.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Hammurabi posted:

The top one is a prerendered cutscene from the PS2 game, the bottom is from the PS3 HD release.

Edit: FFX is a bad example anyway since it's just a rerelease not a new game, so yes quite literally the only change is graphics. The point is that it's silly to act like no new game has benefited from technological advancement since the GC/PS2.

mycot fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Dec 30, 2014

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

mycot posted:

The top one is a prerendered cutscene from the PS2 game
No, it's rendered in-engine.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Pre-rendered Tidus face looks like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PhS4tmbJmPI&t=127s

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
You shoulda seen the other ones. Sad the old av thing doesn't show the text of it. I still miss laughing Hassan Nasrallah tho.

mycot posted:

Nah. Also, while FFX did pretty much push the PS2 to its utter limits, it's still an old rear end loving game that wasn't really improved in any way with better graphics and is perfectly tolerable today. Whereas that HD thing looks like they molded a human being out of clay or something. The bigger point of how you got games these days that are 40+ gigs because some folks want to see the follicles or pores on peoples skin when it does gently caress all for actual gameplay, but I guess it immerses some people?? That makes it worth it to be constantly spending millions of dollars on it rather than, you know, gametesting, making the gameplay better or more varied or whatever?

Show me a person that picked AC Unity over Rogue because Unity is ´"much better looking" and I'll be showing you a class A mental midget is what I'm getting at here.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

LOL if you actually believe that.

Seriously, the vast majority of game size right now is going into raw uncompressed PCM audio (Titanfall, Mordor), repeated assets (Every Rockstar game that isn't L.A. Noire) and pre-rendered cutscenes (Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance). Textures aren't getting larger in resolution, models aren't getting more detailed, the big changes going on in graphics right now are all happening in lighting and shading. Shader scripts usually aren't large, but a few require a good deal of processing power to do in real-time.

At the same time, what developers seem to be doing with the extra power of the new consoles is adding detail to the worlds they already have. Batman can now crash through the window of a tall tower at will, and walk around inside whatever office complex is inside. Mordor keeps tabs on orc hierarchies and specific orc traits. Assassin's Creed now has three more assassins just gallivanting around doing whatever it is assassins do right now. None of this requires extra storage, but the fact of the matter is that both current-gen consoles have blu-ray drives and developers see no reason not to fill them up, because they can, and because doing so with dual layer DVDs, CDs and cartridges went alright in the decades before.

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING

Dirk the Average posted:

Edit: VV Unless I'm horribly misunderstanding something, it seems to me that he's saying that increasing computing power stopped making games better sometime prior to the PS3 being released. I'm taking issue with that statement and saying that the increased computing power we have now is still making games more interesting, allowing for new mechanics, and doing some cool stuff in general.

I...can't really correct you without literally reiterating what I already said so I guess you need to just kind of take it as read that you misinterpreted me.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Dr. Buttass posted:

I...can't really correct you without literally reiterating what I already said so I guess you need to just kind of take it as read that you misinterpreted me.

It's mostly just the "still" part that changes everything.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
It's also worth pointing out that the glut of processing power; especially graphics processing power has allowed devs to get very lazy about certain parts of games. While that particular trend does seem to be finally dying down there are still a lot of common practices that basically amount to 'do it the stupid way because a modern system can just brute force it.' Typically it doesn't matter much to most of the end users but occasionally that attitude creates problems and it definitely creates a poor work ethic.

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING

mycot posted:

It's mostly just the "still" part that changes everything.

No, okay, look. I didn't say anything about overall computational power. I'm just talking about graphical computational power. Graphics is literally just a computer's ability to process and render visuals, that's it. It has nothing to do with what anything looks like, it's just the computer's ability to take the data that says what it looks like and display it on screen. For a long time, video-games-wise, improvements in overall computational power and improvements in graphical power were the same thing, and a lot of people got the idea that better graphics is what made better video games. Somewhere in the general vicinity of the PS2-XBox-Gamecube era, improvements in graphics hit the point of diminishing returns. You can't give the art department a significant and meaningful ability to make the game look better just by making the numbers on the graphics chip go higher anymore. Unless your preferred aesthetic is absolute, 100% balls-to-the-wall no-holds-barred I-can-literally-count-your-pores photorealism, the technology is not an obstacle, the computer will render whatever the gently caress you throw at it and come back for more. Like, those shots of Tidus, literally the only improvement I can see is the number of pixels in the image. I don't feel more empathy for the HD Tidus just because he's better rendered. The aesthetic of Final Fantasy X is not significantly improved just by having more powerful graphical capabilities on hand. Good graphics do not make it a better game.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Clearly the lesson we can take from Nuts & Bolts is that video game consoles need to be like pinball machines and have a tilt sensor that trips out the graphics when you hit the console.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Dr. Buttass posted:

No, okay, look. I didn't say anything about overall computational power. I'm just talking about graphical computational power. Graphics is literally just a computer's ability to process and render visuals, that's it. It has nothing to do with what anything looks like, it's just the computer's ability to take the data that says what it looks like and display it on screen. For a long time, video-games-wise, improvements in overall computational power and improvements in graphical power were the same thing, and a lot of people got the idea that better graphics is what made better video games. Somewhere in the general vicinity of the PS2-XBox-Gamecube era, improvements in graphics hit the point of diminishing returns. You can't give the art department a significant and meaningful ability to make the game look better just by making the numbers on the graphics chip go higher anymore. Unless your preferred aesthetic is absolute, 100% balls-to-the-wall no-holds-barred I-can-literally-count-your-pores photorealism, the technology is not an obstacle, the computer will render whatever the gently caress you throw at it and come back for more. Like, those shots of Tidus, literally the only improvement I can see is the number of pixels in the image. I don't feel more empathy for the HD Tidus just because he's better rendered. The aesthetic of Final Fantasy X is not significantly improved just by having more powerful graphical capabilities on hand. Good graphics do not make it a better game.

I would personally say that good graphics make a good game better, but they cannot make a bad game good. They enhance the gameplay experience the same way that anything that doesn't contribute to a core mechanic does.

Shadows of Mordor honestly benefits quite a bit from its pretty graphics. They enhance an already good gameplay experience by allowing the orcs to be more varied and individualized, allowing the player to have that sinking feeling of dread when the see that same damned captain showing up to a fight. However, if the game had terrible combat and didn't use its graphics to deliver more varied orcs, then prettier graphics wouldn't have made the game good.

Dex01
Apr 9, 2012

Our favourite game starring everyone's favourite green soldier.
Update

We take on Grunty for the 2nd time, Find some Floaters, and take a drive around where they've apparently been keeping all the cool stuff from the past 2 Banjo games locked up

Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts Part 5: Logbox 720 Act 3 & Banjoland Act 1 [YouTube]/[Polsy]

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy
This level is more dense and interesting to look at than the previous ones but holy cow George and Mildred's models look really bad for some reason. They look like they were slapped together in LittleBigPlanet. :psyduck:

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
I did not expect a Diddy Kong Racing reference in the Grunty mission dialogue. Kinda should've expected it sooner or later though, really.

Holepunchio
May 31, 2011

dijon du jour posted:

holy cow George and Mildred's models look really bad for some reason. They look like they were slapped together in LittleBigPlanet. :psyduck:
I think that might be the joke. They're poorly constructed replicas because the real George and Mildred are loving dead. They're loving dead because you killed them. But I might be just giving this game too much credit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
I think the eggs are Terry's. If you go around and ask the help icons around the block they can point out whatever things you glossed over. Like Cheato

• Locked thread