Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dex01
Apr 9, 2012

Our favourite game starring everyone's favourite green soldier.

Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts is the 3rd game in the Banjo-Kazooie series. It is a strange amalgamation of an action adventure game and a vehicle construction game, developed by Rare and published by Microsoft for the Xbox 360,
released in November of 2008 (December in Japan).

What can I say about Nuts & Bolts that hasn't already been said? In a move that will forever confuse myself and other Banjo-Kazooie fans, Rare made the decision to remove Banjo & Kazooie's moveset and replace it with vehicle building. Unwittingly, with one fell swoop, Rare made what could possibly be one of the most divisive games ever, splitting the Banjo-Kazooie fanbase right down the middle with people who liked the game on one side, and people who hated it on the other.

Because of this, Nuts & Bolts is infamous and it's actually kind of admirable what Rare were trying to do. The thought process is (I think) fairly clear:
"We have a popular IP that we've done the same thing with twice now. We're on a different platform with a different audience so let's do something different"

It was a pretty brave move and not one I think many studios would be daring enough to try. Personally I don't really think it worked. I will be upfront and honest and admit that my thinking on this game is biased. I don't
particularly like it because it's not a Banjo game. It's just a game that has the name attached to it and which the characters are present in. You could swap out any other franchise and put it in this games environment and it would still function the same way. That's just my take on it however and despite my hang-ups I do still try to enjoy the game and do sometimes find myself having fun with it.

There are parts of this game which are great. The vehicle building is super intuitive and it is extremely satisfying when you make a vehicle that works well. Some of the locations are really good looking and the music is perfect for a Banjo game.

But do all the pieces fit together as well as they should? I dunno, let's play the drat game and find out

Videos
Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts Part 1: Showdown Town & Nutty Acres Act 1 - [YouTube]/[Polsy]
Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts Part 2: Nutty Acres Act 2 - [YouTube]/[Polsy]
Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts Part 3: Nutty Acres Act 3 & Logbox 720 Act 1 - [YouTube]/[Polsy]
Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts Part 4: Nutty Acres Act 4 & Logbox 720 Act 2 - [YouTube]/[Polsy]
Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts Part 5: Logbox 720 Act 3 & Banjoland Act 1 [YouTube]/[Polsy]
Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts Part 6: Logbox 720 Act 4 & Banjoland Act 2 [YouTube]/[Polsy]
Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts& Bolts Part 7: Nutty Acres Act 5 & Banjoland Act 3 [YouTube]/[Polsy]
Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts Part 8: Logbox 720 Act 5 & Banjoland Act 4 [YouTube]/[Polsy]
Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts Part 9: Logbox 720 Act 6 & Jiggoseum Act 1 [YouTube]/[Polsy]
Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts Part 10: Nutty Acres Act 6 & Banjoland Act 5 [YouTube]/[Polsy]
Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts Part 11: Jiggoseum Act 2 & Banjoland Act 6 - [YouTube]/[Polsy]
Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts Part 12: Terrarium of Terror Act 1 & Jiggoseum Act 3 [Youtube]/[Polsy]
Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts Part 13: Jiggoseum Act 4 & Terrarium of Terror Act 2 [YouTube]/[Polsy]
Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts Part 14: Jiggoseum Act 5 & Terrarium of Terror Act 3 [YouTube]/[Polsy]
Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts Part 15: Jiggoseum Act 6 & Terrarium of Terror Act 4 [YouTube]/[Polsy]
Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts Part 16: Terrarium of Terror Act 5 & Spiral Mountain [YouTube]/[Polsy]
Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts Part 16.5: The Missing Jinjo [YouTube]/[Polsy]

Bonus Videos
Free Wheelin

Dex01 fucked around with this message at 01:15 on May 14, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Notice! I recall a previous LP which almost finished this, but petered out at the final stages. Now to finally see how this ends.

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,
God doesn't help little frogs.

He helps people like me.
I can't believe Mike the TV became the King of Games.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cxv7scAYCMw

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
I think the main appeal of this game is the vehicle building aspect since that can lead to hijinks involving creating the most ludicrous vehicles conceivable and taking them for a spin made even more hilarious by the game's physics engine which can send objects flying.

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

In lieu of meaningful text, I'm just going to mention I've been exploding all day and now it hurts to breathe, so I'm sure you all understand.
Yeeeeeeeesssss.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
My nemesis :negative:

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
I tried so many times to love this game, but something about it just felt off, I didn't mind that the Rare who made this game was mostly different to N64 era Rare, I LOVED Viva Pinata on 360, it was one of my most played games, but I just couldn't get on with this, and it's a shame.

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
I think the Lord of Games is a serious detriment to the game, since more or less everything he says is a direct insult to the older games and he just sort of exists to remind you of the games you played and laugh at you for liking them. I have a long-standing suspicion that he's based off of some suit who told Rare to make the game like this.

e: and he literally owns a video game factory, hmm...

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Honestly, I think this game wouldn't be too bad if it was an actual original IP. The core concept isn't particularly awful (LOG excepted), and having a collectathon based racing game would be a neat spin on the genres.

...But making it a Banjo game (or, well, just about any other pre-existing IP) fuckin' ruins both the idea and Banjo stuff just because it doesn't fit. And the whole opening is just a bunch of pointless wankery that adds nothing and detracts approximately everything.

Vilemoon
Jan 4, 2013

Unsound Of Mind.

Dragonatrix posted:

Honestly, I think this game wouldn't be too bad if it was an actual original IP. The core concept isn't particularly awful (LOG excepted), and having a collectathon based racing game would be a neat spin on the genres.

...But making it a Banjo game (or, well, just about any other pre-existing IP) fuckin' ruins both the idea and Banjo stuff just because it doesn't fit. And the whole opening is just a bunch of pointless wankery that adds nothing and detracts approximately everything.

loving frame this post and put it in the VNDLP offices. I honestly couldn't explain my disdain for this game any better. Its sad THIS was Banjo and Kazooie's swan song.

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

In lieu of meaningful text, I'm just going to mention I've been exploding all day and now it hurts to breathe, so I'm sure you all understand.

ManlyGrunting posted:

I think the Lord of Games is a serious detriment to the game, since more or less everything he says is a direct insult to the older games and he just sort of exists to remind you of the games you played and laugh at you for liking them. I have a long-standing suspicion that he's based off of some suit who told Rare to make the game like this.

Yeah, if you read LOG as being simultaneously a poop joke and a reference to Microsoft, this game starts to make a lot more sense.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
To be fair, Rare does at least try to justify some of the more questionable design decisions such as the duo losing their old moves being do to atrophy.

The Jiggy vending can also be explained since the bank is supposed to be your Jiggy inventory and Jiggies collected in the levels don't transfer directly to the aforementioned bank though granted why Jiggies don't don't directly transfer is never explained.

One good thing is that level notes collected during one act count for the entire level not just the act they were collected in so backtracking for notes is somewhat easier thanks to this.

Chimera-gui fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Nov 28, 2014

dbzfandiego
Sep 17, 2011
I've always seen this game as a spinoff that some how got to be made into a main entry, instead of a sequel and I guess that's why I have less of a problem with this game.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all
Wow, Dex I can't believe you are actually doing it.

GirlCalledBob
Jul 17, 2013
Oh wow, I always assumed this game just had the car stuff weirdly tacked on, I never knew they just threw out basically everything that made it a Banjo game. Hardly any platforming, no moves, crappy hubworld, stupid plot and bad writing... okay the Banjo games never had the best writing, but this is just sad. If they weren't going to keep a single one of the core gameplay aspects, why try and force the Banjo IP to fit? That's like saying 'here, we made you a Mario game. Only it's a stealth game now. And you can't jump.'

That said LOG's little pet mice are adorable and I want one. Everything else in this mess can get the gently caress out of my face.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

I enjoyed this game but I think I spent more time in the Test-O-Track than I did in the actual game.

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

GirlCalledBob posted:

That's like saying 'here, we made you a Mario game. Only it's a stealth game now. And you can't jump.'

Except they do kind of do that, the difference being that Mario's weird spin-off games are released alongside the more traditional fare, not in place of it. Banjo Kazooie isn't nearly ubiquitous nor prolific enough to pull off something like this, especially not if it's been 8 goddamn years since we've seen hide or feather of them.

I really hope this isn't going to be Banjo and Kazooie's final outing. If Rare can be allowed to continue making games even with their dodgy hit/miss ratio, surely they can give the ol' bear and bird another chance? Phil Spencer has said that Rare has a few non-kinect-sports related games in the pipeline and is currently working on a game that is "uniquely Rare". :ohdear:

dijon du jour fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Nov 29, 2014

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ManlyGrunting posted:

I think the Lord of Games is hilarious, though. Then again I can handle jokes about games I like.

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014

Endorph posted:

I think the Lord of Games is hilarious, though. Then again I can handle jokes about games I like.

He does get some funny lines later, but he doesn't even really tell jokes in the beginning, he just insults the player and the series a bunch.

All Frogs
Sep 18, 2014

Chimera-gui posted:

To be fair, Rare does at least try to justify some of the more questionable design decisions such as the duo losing their old moves being do to atrophy.

Rare does that a lot in their games, especially Chris Seavor (Conker) is involved. That dude has to explain everything.

As for Nuts 'N' Bolts I actually kind of like the game, mostly the building car stuff. Never beat it though because I just liked building vehicles so I'm curious to see how it actually ends.

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

GirlCalledBob posted:

If they weren't going to keep a single one of the core gameplay aspects, why try and force the Banjo IP to fit?

This is actually a really common thing in game development. If a studio ends up coming up with a new "untested" idea, publishers will often decide to tie the unique idea into a known franchise and hope the name recognition will help drive sales. Similar to Silent Hill 4: The Room.

dijon du jour posted:

I really hope this isn't going to be Banjo and Kazooie's final outing. If Rare can be allowed to continue making games even with their dodgy hit/miss ratio, surely they can give the ol' bear and bird another chance? Phil Spencer has said that Rare has a few non-kinect-sports related games in the pipeline and is currently working on a game that is "uniquely Rare". :ohdear:

Unfortunately, this probably is the last "proper" BK game. All of the people who worked at Rare when they were owned by Nintendo are now gone, and the studio has been relegated to producing kinect shovelware now. BK might return in other games as cameos, like Conker in Project Spark, but I'm sure BK as a series is dead in Microsoft's eyes, sadly.

On a more positive note, though. I remember one of the original Rare guys had announced a game promising to be a "Old school collectathon style" platformer. That was a year or two ago, and I remember him mentioning some legal shenanigans with MS trying to stonewall the game, but it's something to look forward if the game is still a thing.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014

Velocity Raptor posted:

This is actually a really common thing in game development. If a studio ends up coming up with a new "untested" idea, publishers will often decide to tie the unique idea into a known franchise and hope the name recognition will help drive sales. Similar to Silent Hill 4: The Room.

See also: Kirby's Epic Yarn

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

as someone who never played the original banjo kazooie games, i really liked this one and had alot of fun dicking around and making crazy cars.

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?
I'm glad I finally get to see this game, but I could really do without your negativity. Maybe this LP just isn't for me because I've never played any Banjo games and have no attachment to the franchise, but hearing you belittle every element in the game that's different from the original because it's different gets old really fast. Aside from some issues that seem minor so far I couldn't make out a lot of problems with the game and I'd rather see the game on it's own merits than comparing it to something it isn't.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Chimera-gui posted:

See also: Kirby's Epic Yarn
proof that it's not always a bad thing.

DeliciousCookie
Mar 4, 2011
Hoboy, this game. I have words for this game. I really wanted to like it, and to its credit, the DLC in fact made me actually like the game. But the main game? The biggest sin it made outside of alienating Banjo fans was that it made the majority of the challenges consist of prebuilt vehicles in a game where you're suppose to make your own. I could understand having that as optional, like the DLC did, or even have you build with some restricted pieces.. But, making so many a prebuilt build was just dumb.

Also, in regards to their negativity, I kind of think some of it is a bit earned. If you're not a fan of the earlier games, a lot of the decisions won't bother you. However, anyone coming off of the older games would be annoyed. For instance, the ability to run around/climb and platform. The elements are there, but they're never used outside of the hub world. The hub itself is far less interesting than previous games, and other such things. Heck, even the little things like collecting items is a bit obnoxious when you need to carry items from one location to the next a lot. Like it seems a minor thing right now, but remember for each Jiggy you get, you need to vend it out and take it to the bank. Similarly with every crate you need to bring back as well. It gets tiresome pretty fast.

Question for Dex, since you don't seem to mind sequence breaking, are you going to be showing off the trolly glitch in town?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ManlyGrunting posted:

He does get some funny lines later, but he doesn't even really tell jokes in the beginning, he just insults the player and the series a bunch.
Yeah, and that's funny to me. He gets some good burns in. Iunno, maybe it's just because Banjo-Kazooie were just some kinda fun games I played a decade ago and not my first love like it seems to have been for some people.

Major_JF
Oct 17, 2008
Does this remind anyone else of the gummy sections in kingdom hearts?

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

It's strange that even sequence breaking doesn't really make the game look all that more interesting. I mean sure now you have some parts that you aren't suppose to right now but that's about it, unless those parts are going to absolutely make any kind of timed challenges and racing redundant it's like "whoop de do".

Not that i don't appreciate Dex's effort to royally gently caress the game over for us, it's just not instantly gratifying like it should be :colbert:

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

It's strange that even sequence breaking doesn't really make the game look all that more interesting. I mean sure now you have some parts that you aren't suppose to right now but that's about it, unless those parts are going to absolutely make any kind of timed challenges and racing redundant it's like "whoop de do".

Not that i don't appreciate Dex's effort to royally gently caress the game over for us, it's just not instantly gratifying like it should be :colbert:

Yeah, sequence breaking in this game really just saves you from having to go back and replay a mission to get the Thomas Trophy when you get better parts.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

D&D 3.5 Book of Erotic Fantasy
FUN FACTS ABOUT THIS GAME!

This game was originally going to be a platformer. You can tell because the hub world is actually kind of reasonably sized and still has a ton of those elements (like the tower of log). However they ran into a problem that they made the levels way too big and it took forever to get around in them. The answer to that was not the much more reasonable, much more sane "make the levels smaller", but instead "put vehicles in the game". Eventually development focus switched over to focus on the vehicle segments, resulting in the utter catastrophe of a game we see before us.

It may not look bad now, but it gets so bad. SO BAD. I don't even think I would like this game if it was disconnected from Banjo.

Vilemoon
Jan 4, 2013

Unsound Of Mind.

horriblePencilist posted:

I'm glad I finally get to see this game, but I could really do without your negativity. Maybe this LP just isn't for me because I've never played any Banjo games and have no attachment to the franchise, but hearing you belittle every element in the game that's different from the original because it's different gets old really fast. Aside from some issues that seem minor so far I couldn't make out a lot of problems with the game and I'd rather see the game on it's own merits than comparing it to something it isn't.

That's the thing, we aren't going into it TRYING to be negative. Me and Dex honest to GOD want to give this game its fair shake. I've never played it, but this is what i've seen: Everything about the game is super convoluted. The Vehicle building is the only saving grace for this game, and even then the LOG challenges force you to use its own prebuilt cars like, "Yea, built these super cool lego cars BUT ONCE IN AWHILE YOU HAVE TO PLAY WITH TIMMY THE INTERNS LEGOS AND SO HELP ME GOD IF YOU COMPLAIN." It takes alot of the fun away from a game that could be awesome.

Seriously though gently caress the civilians there are too many of them in too small a space, only to spit out the same recycled dialogue when hit. After they move soooo sloooowly.

Things I think are super cool about this game: The way all the characters act like in a play in the worlds! The way car building is super intuitive! Piddles! Klungo back at it again at the Nutty Acres!

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
I'll forever remember this as the game that Rooreelooo gave up on all that while ago. And while I do consider the vehicle mechanics very interesting, it was simple not the game anybody asked for.

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.
BK/BT are my two absolute favourite games for the N64. Watching the initial video has been my first time seeing this game in action... and I believe people have already said most of what I wanted to say already. :v:

Dex and Vile have treated this game with exactly the right level of respect. By all means, sequence break the hell of this thing for vehicle parts. :allears:

Major_JF
Oct 17, 2008
From that old thread I vaguely remember a way of being able to cheat at log's prebuilt vehicles challenges. There might be other challenges in the game that I am thinking of since it has been a while since I have seen the videos.

DeliciousCookie
Mar 4, 2011

Major_JF posted:

From that old thread I vaguely remember a way of being able to cheat at log's prebuilt vehicles challenges. There might be other challenges in the game that I am thinking of since it has been a while since I have seen the videos.

There is...sorta. Basically, you can modify any car made for log challenges once you get into the race/event. You can disassemble pieces and reassemble them into something a bit less unwieldy. Some of the challenges are stupidly hard if you don't at least do this. However its pretty much not the intention for you to do just that.

My Face When
Nov 28, 2012

Hide your healthcare.
Hide your wife.

Oh man, this is really happening. Thank you, thank you, a hundred times thank you.

I really just wanted to see what the fuss was all about. This is going to be fantastic.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

I originally encountered Banjo Kazooie when we received an unsolicited VHS tape in the mail, maybe because I was subscribed to Nintendo Power, I dunno. The tape convinced me to buy the game, and naturally BK and BT became my favorite platformers and N64 games. When I learned that Nintendo sold Rare to MS, I was disappointed, and then I was further disappointed to hear that Nuts N Bolts ditched the platforming for vehicle building.

I've been looking forward to this LP, so I can see what I missed out on, for better or worse. So far, I agree with Vilemoon and Dragonatrix' sentiments.

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?

Vilemoon posted:

That's the thing, we aren't going into it TRYING to be negative. Me and Dex honest to GOD want to give this game its fair shake. I've never played it, but this is what i've seen: Everything about the game is super convoluted. The Vehicle building is the only saving grace for this game, and even then the LOG challenges force you to use its own prebuilt cars like, "Yea, built these super cool lego cars BUT ONCE IN AWHILE YOU HAVE TO PLAY WITH TIMMY THE INTERNS LEGOS AND SO HELP ME GOD IF YOU COMPLAIN." It takes alot of the fun away from a game that could be awesome.

Like I said, I don't want to claim that no one has a right to complain; obviously someone who has played the game fully is gonna know more about the faults than I would, but I guess I'm approaching this game with more of an open mind – though it's reasonable to assume Dex just can't do it because he's way more into the first two games.

kalonZombie posted:

FUN FACTS ABOUT THIS GAME!

This game was originally going to be a platformer. You can tell because the hub world is actually kind of reasonably sized and still has a ton of those elements (like the tower of log). However they ran into a problem that they made the levels way too big and it took forever to get around in them. The answer to that was not the much more reasonable, much more sane "make the levels smaller", but instead "put vehicles in the game". Eventually development focus switched over to focus on the vehicle segments, resulting in the utter catastrophe of a game we see before us.

It may not look bad now, but it gets so bad. SO BAD. I don't even think I would like this game if it was disconnected from Banjo.

I wish I could find it, but there's this really good interview with an (ex?)-employee of Rare describing the development of the game and how Microsoft hosed them over. It's a prime example of the publisher ruining the devs' lifes.

Also, since no one else has said it before, I'm gonna say it: The character designs are really good. Banjo looks kinda weird, but just about every character, both old and new, looks really good and the incorporation of hard edges really work well. Also, they managed to get rid of the "Rare eyes" – that is, just two big white orbs with pupils on them on everything.

horriblePencilist fucked around with this message at 11:28 on Nov 29, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Neurion posted:

I originally encountered Banjo Kazooie when we received an unsolicited VHS tape in the mail, maybe because I was subscribed to Nintendo Power, I dunno. The tape convinced me to buy the game, and naturally BK and BT became my favorite platformers and N64 games. When I learned that Nintendo sold Rare to MS, I was disappointed, and then I was further disappointed to hear that Nuts N Bolts ditched the platforming for vehicle building.

I've been looking forward to this LP, so I can see what I missed out on, for better or worse. So far, I agree with Vilemoon and Dragonatrix' sentiments.

Is this really Jon Lovitz talking here?

• Locked thread